Australian Shot In Thailand

stumonster

Jesus guys. QUIT IT! I´d love for mr Leigh to come back and meet some of the posters who´ve visited this thread. I´d back him up at least.

A man´s been shot and you are all talking about being or not being Bush´s poodle.

Get a life. Have a heart. Start your own thread ont he bearpit.com

This thread is about a man who has been shot.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A mate of mine is very good friend of Lee the guy who was shot.

This had nothing to do with a bad business deal, or anything to do with the gem business directly.

He was being extorted by the Mafia for "protection" and he'd refused to capitulate.

I just wanted to clarify things in the face of endless speculation.

He's recovering in hospital awaiting a second operation to remove the bullet.

I've been told the police are taking this matter VERY SERIOUSLY, no doubt due to this being the second Australian shot in as many weeks.

I've met and spent time with Lee, and as mentioned earlier he's a very friendly and sensible guy who's been here for more than a year and speaks very good Thai.

Lee is also regular reader and fan of ThaiVisa.

I wish him all the best and hope he makes a speedy recovery.

wave

Thanks for the sensible and informative post on the topic. Although if this is a mafia hit, don't expect the cops to find the real shooter. The police were said to be taking Miss Fitzpatricks's murder seriously and apparently the case is conveniently slipping out of site.

... Get a life. Have a heart. Start your own thread in the bearpit.com, This thread is about a man who has been shot.
Thank you,

Back on topic, incidents like this are unfortunate but hopefully bring some attention to the point where war is declared on these thugs.

Lets hope for a full recovery for him and some swift justice for shooter, Thai Style , :o

post-27659-1151577606.jpeg

Maybe us expats should create a "society" that has it's own security.

Say, we hire some robust, highly-trained Israeli commandos as they backpack around SE Asia, and give them a chance to resolve our disputes in a calculated, disciplined, professional style.

Maybe hire the front-man Thai negotiator, who tries to make peace with the Thai businessman, while the two Israeli commandos stand behind him with all of their military toys to protect the negotiator.

If all of us expats throw in 2000 Baht for the year, we'd have plenty to run the program without additional costs per incidence.

Maybe call it "Scores R Us." (I just bought the domain name scoresrus.com). So, whose in?

If it is a successful program, I know expats in many countries would love to buy franchise rights for such an endeavor (expats in India have been begging for such a program!).

:o

I would rather pay the 2000 to to Thai gangsters to off Isreali commandos :D

I would rather pay the 2000 to to Thai gangsters to off Isreali commandos :o

As usual, an absurd post from "Cpl Money"

I understand from the Australian media that he is about to, or has undergone further surgery, and that his father was on the way out to see his son. A speedy recovery is hoped for.

Well I guess 2000baht only is kinda absurd I'm sure you'll need more than that these days I would guess. Still a worthy cause IMHO.

Anyway however on topic, I do hope the guy recovers. And I wonder how it went down exsactly. Did the guy really know about gems or not? Has anyone here gone to that area to buy gems? My Lady is a GG (Graduate Gemologist) from GIA It's nutz how many shops, expecialy MBK, sell fake or treated stones. I would have never known if not for shopping with her.

First of all........goddamnit I'm so sick and tired of hearing all you expats complain about Thailand constantly, everytime you get the chance of saying something negative about the place, you will take it and throw out all your faul and negativeness in the face of us. WHY ARE YOU IN THAILAND ???? Is it because you did something silly in your home country and now you can't return ? Because it sure is a big mystery to me why you stay here when everything is soooooo wrong and bad and Thais apparently to you guys only are waiting for a chance to either kill you, steal from you or hustle you...... GO HOME YOU SOUR TURDS!

That post about proguns....... that one ticks me right off too. It's not exactly Einstein material that lesser guns will kill fewer people and you can take thoose statistics and shuff em' up. Statistics are excaly what was said earlier.... LIES. Its all in the eye of the beholder. How do you interperted statistics ? are we looking at numbers from one month, one year or 10 years, it depends on how you want to use them. If you want to say America had a decrease in rapes and uk increased all you have to do is look for a month where thoose numbers match your so call "statistic" and then you got the numbers you were looking for. EVery country in the world should make it illegal to own or carry a gun, you can have one in a shooting range and thats it PERIOD.

I think we would have a lot more positive atmosphere in this forum if you the "farang" actually tried to spend some time to understand the thais and their culture instead you just get angry and frustrated, it reminds me of USA and their total ignorance of why they are so hated....because they dont want to understand they just want things their way. OK sorry for having such an ill temper but im pretty new to this forum (maybe around 6 months or so and then i signed up) and ive seen so much negative stuff here, that i just couldnt hold it back any longer.

LOL PEACE OUT

@mazaki, I am an old member (maybe 4 years), and with 5 years + of living and working in LOS. So I do not like the 'sour tud', really dislike. The problems / comments made here by some expats are also made by Thais people who get a western education.CAn oyu also call them 'Sour Tud'?

I live here (thailand), pay taxes here, make money coming from abroad enter here ... Somewhere I am an active actor inthis country, even I am proud to be NOT a citisen of it.

So the reason of my presence? Well, all is cheap here : beer, girls, even my prices are competitive while I am here (hardly be throught in EU).

But should I accept any thing from stupid morons on the ground they are born on thailand and if I do not do it they will loose face?

Becaus here is the real problem, Thai living in thailand mostly do not search to improve the quality of what they do, and by so increase their income ( a mercedes is more expensive than a 2 CV), but simply are stating they have to get the same as the farangs on the ground farang are only farang (ting tong, ling ....) and as they are thai (the best of the best, the salt of the earth ....) they have right to claim farang money.

Killing an infidel is not a murder. We heard that in europe some times ago. Here 800 years after they still say the same.

Possible to change it? I do not think so. So, or we accept the full package (cheap beer, cheap girls, murder threat, money legally stolen ...) or yes we have to leave. Personally I used the earlier option during 5 years, I am comtemplating the later now. During 4 years I got hard life to create something stable. Now it's stable and the result is to have vultures coming around. Personnal feelings sure, but what I think is Thailand is a wonderfull place for a middle aged white male coming here on a regular vacation (2 times a year). He will get more than he can expect for the money he will spend : love, respect, fun, laught entertainment .... all things that we enjoyed us for a while. But Thailand is by no way a place where you have a normal life with the usual standart a civilised person (without regards for his skin colour, religion, or geographical origin) wish to have. So I am slowly packing my things and I will leave one day. As PErson it's not important, but somewhere it will be some millions of bahts that will not come here anymore but in another country.

Edited by sting01

What a really stupid thing to say!!!

Playing in the Gem buisness in Thailand is like play with fire, soon are later you will get BURN!! Good Luck, my friend wish you a speedy and full recovery :o

People get killed in thailand cause there in the wrong place at the wrong time, Or doing something or acting in some way that the locals get upset at.

Its that simple

Richard

Affiliate Marketing Manager

Fine Diamond, Sapphire, Ruby

Gold, Silver & Platinum Jewelry

I removed the email and web link

Edited by bronco

Thankyou very much for your comments Mr Peace Out / 3 Posts! We, many of us, take every and each opinion (as well as digesting national and global news) into consideration before popping our words out in reply, for the global masses to digest. :o

Well thats great "the almighty I post so many post I cant be doing anything else but post silly post on thaivisa" just by you commenting and referring to me as mr 3 post tells me that you are an obnoxious blip! And what is it im saying ?? is it my opinion or im i not entitled to have one since I only posted 3 post so far. Hail the mother of posts !

Well maybe we can change your name to Mr five post. You make some good points, and I agree with you. If you dont like it here why dont you leave. But then you just had to make a derogatory comment about the United States that seems so politically appropriate these days. How quickly people forget the past.

To the world's eternal shame, 9/11 is increasingly seen as America's comeuppance. Incredibly, anti-Americanism has increased over the last few years.

There has always been a simmering resentment to the USA. - too loud, too rich, too full of themselves and so much happier than Europeans - but it has become an epidemic.

A little over half a century ago, around half a million Americans died in Europe to rid the world of an evil man. Have we forgotten so soon? And on 9/11/01, thousands of ordinary men, women and children - not just Americans, but from dozens of countries - were butchered by a small group of religious fanatics. Are we so quick to betray them?

These days you don't have to be some dust-encrusted nut job in Kabul or Karachi or Finsbury Park to see America as the Great Satan. The anti-American alliance is made up of self-loathing liberals who blame the Americans for every ill in the Third World, and conservatives suffering from power-envy, bitter that the world's only superpower can do what it likes

without having to ask permission.

The truth is that America has behaved with enormous restraint since September 11.

Remember those people leaping to their deaths from the top of burning skyscrapers. Remember the hundreds of firemen buried alive. Remember the smiling face of that beautiful little girl who was on one of the planes with her mum. Remember,

remember - and realise that America has never retaliated for 9/11 in

anything like the way it could have.

So a few al-Qaeda tourists got locked without a trial in Camp X-ray? Pass the Kleenex. So some Afghan wedding receptions were shot up after they merrily fired their semi-automatics in a sky full of American planes? A shame, but maybe next time they should stick to confetti.

AMERICA could have turned a large chunk of the world into a parking lot. That it didn't is a sign of strength. How many in the Islamic world will have a minute's silence for the slaughtered innocents of 9/11? How many Islamic leaders will have the guts to say that the mass murder of 9/11 was an abomination?

When the news of 9/11 broke on the West Bank, those freedom-loving Palestinians were dancing in the street. America watched all of that - and didn't push the button. We should thank the stars that America is the most powerful nation in the world. I still find it incredible that 9/11 did not provoke all-out war. Not a "war on terrorism". A real war.

The fundamentalist dudes are talking about "opening the gates of hel_l", if America attacks Iraq. Well, America could have opened the gates of hel_l like you wouldn't believe. The US is the most militarily powerful nation that ever strode the face of the earth. The campaign in Afghanistan may have been less than perfect and the war on Iraq may be misconceived.

But don't blame America for not bringing peace and light to these wretched countries. How many democracies are there in the Middle East, or in the Muslim world? You can count them on the fingers of one hand - assuming you haven't had any chopped off for minor shoplifting.

I love America, yet America is hated. I guess that makes me Bush's poodle. But I would rather be a dog in New York City than a Prince in Riyadh. Above all, America is hated because it is what every country wants to be - rich, free, strong, open, optimistic.

Not ground down by the past, or religion, or some caste system.

YAWN !!! You make it sound like the world didn't exist before 9/11 well i guess it did. I feel sad for all the victims of 9/11 don't get me wrong on that one. But what really bores me is how you automatically make it sound like America was just a peaceful country living in harmony with all the countries in the entire world but suddenly one day they got attacked without any reason at all and now the whole world should cry and feel sympathy with America ?? America and their foreign politics has never cared about what anyone else said. Live with our politics or become our enemy. I'm not only talking about America and war, a thing that makes me crazy is how you refuse to sign the kyoto deal even though you are the people on this globe who contribute the most to polluting. You are the super power of the world and what a rolemodel you are. You already messed up way before 9/11 why do you think 9/11 was planned ?

Luckily I know Americans who feel the safe way about America as I do and that gives me some comfort and hope.

You make me wana laugh when I see how you finish your post....like a true obnoxious america patriotic. You are a country with the most amount of people in jail, bad health care for poor people, right winged government with a bafoon as a leader, if you were so bloody optimistic why is it so important to bomb all people you see as a threat. God bless America and nowhere else. Ive travlled in most of the world but I will nver set a foot in USA. Try to look up how much damage and dead people USA has left all over the world before 9/11. 4000 people died in the 9/11 attack and may they rst in peace but USA is responsible directly and indirectly in many more deaths than that. A funny note is that the scary enemy of Afghanistan and the taleban regime that you fought not too long time ago....did you forget who supplied them with weapons that contributed to kill your own soldiers?.....correct USA and why ? so they could fight the Russians off.

You are a mystery to me and I hope some day you will learn and stuff that obnoxious patriotic bs up somewhere where the sun dont shine and swallow your pride and show the world how the only superpower of the world should act. Be a good rolemodel.

Is it just me, or are we seeing an increase in the shootings of farang here? Or are the media just taking up these stories more and more?

Hope this guy is okay, and that the shooter is caught.

I do not know if it is an increase, our perception or that the information is more easily accessed.

My opinion is that it is an increase but that is only a gut feeling

You comedians are slipping. 7 pages and no one notices the pun of the year.

regards

Crack down on illegal handguns, the root of the problem. A good idea but there is a huge number out there - litterally millions and gangsters obviously pay off the police so that their henchmen can freely pack guns.

Nah, the root of any and all problems in Thailand - well, almost - is corruption.

Because of corruption there is no faith in either the executive or the legislative. So nothing can get accomplished. Murderers can go free for a price. Or never get caught. Or get out early. That said I find both crime and violent crime relatively rare here - compared to other 3rd world countries.

I am not sure what the root of corruption is - but I sure would like to know.

Edited by nikster

Guys,

Crime is everywhere. In Sydney a 14 yr old girl is rapped and killed in the ladies toilets in a “good part of Sydney”. Her distraught brother and uncle search for her and knock on the door whilst she is being murdered.

That is way more tragic than this - in a safe city like a Sydney.

Unfortunately - we will see “SHIT” like this all our lives

Just do your best to help prevent anything that like this - that is all you can do

Stefan

Just the other day a perth man raped and killed a 8 year old girl, he targeted her because she looked asian and after strangling her and raping her in a shopping centre toilet he went to a shop close to the toilet to watch the police find her. SSick bastard they say he might plead insanity for a lighter sentance, people like him should be tortured to an inch of his life IMO

I believe this is the same story....

but just to clarify things....there has been no mention of him targetting her cos she looked asian and he didnt go to another shop but was chased out of the shopping centre by the brother and would have been in the UK by now if he wasnt caught....No plea has been entered so there is no telling what defence if any will be offered.

Anyway back on topic....I think that Lee did the right thing by refusing to pay the hoods...the cost would only increase and once in that situation it is harder to extract yourself....Just unfortunate that he got hurt...hope he recovers ok too.

I love America, yet America is hated. I guess that makes me Bush's poodle. But I would rather be a dog in New York City than a Prince in Riyadh. Above all, America is hated because it is what every country wants to be - rich, free, strong, open, optimistic.

We don't hate America, no one does. We hate Bush and his corrupt and frankly completely insane regime which is in power only because it has induced a mass-psychosis on America. Bush has successfully sowed the seeds of fear, and America is to afraid it doesn't know what to do. Except let Bush do whatever it is that he wants to do.

America is the Roman Empire of this day, and it's falling, it's dropping like a stone.

The funny thing is, the flag-waving americans don't even know it and in a way that's the only way it could happen.

Americans are really like the Serbs in the bosnia war - which BTW was resolved by a good American government back then - just like the Serbs back then, the Americans believe all the crap the government feeds them, while what the government really does is promote their insane Neo-Con agenda which leads to a new Crusade and world wide war, and enrich their cronies.

Weapons and Oil industries, woo-hoo - your investment has paid off bigger than you could ever have imagined. And Americans are proud of it!

Who cares if 2500 American patriots died in a war that was planned the day Bush entered the Oval Office and which has nothing at all to do with WMDs or 9/11. Not Bush, not the oil people, they don't care. They are too busy counting the cash.

I initially supported the Iraq war even - I thought there could be such a thing as a just war, getting rid of a dictator. But the American forces were betrayed by the hidden agenda of their leaders, it was never about removing an evil dictator, it was always only about the oil. Because of this moral corruption, the current situation evolved. Add to that the sanctioning of torture, the abolition of citizen's rights and so on... American values are destroyed. Fighting Terrorism justifies _everything_.

In the end, no enemy could have damaged America as much as the Bush government was able to.

Also, you seem to have fallen for the most obviously false piece of propaganda, so I will make it very clear to you: Iraq has nothing to do with Al-Quada. If you don't get that, then nothing can help you. You will have to continue eating up the propaganda. No matter how many times The President of the United States of America repeats it, it is a known fact that Saddam was on very bad terms with Al Quaeda. That's why they set up camp in Afghanistan and not in Iraq.

Thankyou very much for your comments Mr Peace Out / 3 Posts! We, many of us, take every and each opinion (as well as digesting national and global news) into consideration before popping our words out in reply, for the global masses to digest. :o

Well thats great "the almighty I post so many post I cant be doing anything else but post silly post on thaivisa" just by you commenting and referring to me as mr 3 post tells me that you are an obnoxious blip! And what is it im saying ?? is it my opinion or im i not entitled to have one since I only posted 3 post so far. Hail the mother of posts !

Well maybe we can change your name to Mr five post. You make some good points, and I agree with you. If you dont like it here why dont you leave. But then you just had to make a derogatory comment about the United States that seems so politically appropriate these days. How quickly people forget the past.

To the world's eternal shame, 9/11 is increasingly seen as America's comeuppance. Incredibly, anti-Americanism has increased over the last few years.

There has always been a simmering resentment to the USA. - too loud, too rich, too full of themselves and so much happier than Europeans - but it has become an epidemic.

A little over half a century ago, around half a million Americans died in Europe to rid the world of an evil man. Have we forgotten so soon? And on 9/11/01, thousands of ordinary men, women and children - not just Americans, but from dozens of countries - were butchered by a small group of religious fanatics. Are we so quick to betray them?

These days you don't have to be some dust-encrusted nut job in Kabul or Karachi or Finsbury Park to see America as the Great Satan. The anti-American alliance is made up of self-loathing liberals who blame the Americans for every ill in the Third World, and conservatives suffering from power-envy, bitter that the world's only superpower can do what it likes

without having to ask permission.

The truth is that America has behaved with enormous restraint since September 11.

Remember those people leaping to their deaths from the top of burning skyscrapers. Remember the hundreds of firemen buried alive. Remember the smiling face of that beautiful little girl who was on one of the planes with her mum. Remember,

remember - and realise that America has never retaliated for 9/11 in

anything like the way it could have.

So a few al-Qaeda tourists got locked without a trial in Camp X-ray? Pass the Kleenex. So some Afghan wedding receptions were shot up after they merrily fired their semi-automatics in a sky full of American planes? A shame, but maybe next time they should stick to confetti.

AMERICA could have turned a large chunk of the world into a parking lot. That it didn't is a sign of strength. How many in the Islamic world will have a minute's silence for the slaughtered innocents of 9/11? How many Islamic leaders will have the guts to say that the mass murder of 9/11 was an abomination?

When the news of 9/11 broke on the West Bank, those freedom-loving Palestinians were dancing in the street. America watched all of that - and didn't push the button. We should thank the stars that America is the most powerful nation in the world. I still find it incredible that 9/11 did not provoke all-out war. Not a "war on terrorism". A real war.

The fundamentalist dudes are talking about "opening the gates of hel_l", if America attacks Iraq. Well, America could have opened the gates of hel_l like you wouldn't believe. The US is the most militarily powerful nation that ever strode the face of the earth. The campaign in Afghanistan may have been less than perfect and the war on Iraq may be misconceived.

But don't blame America for not bringing peace and light to these wretched countries. How many democracies are there in the Middle East, or in the Muslim world? You can count them on the fingers of one hand - assuming you haven't had any chopped off for minor shoplifting.

Not ground down by the past, or religion, or some caste system.

Spoken like a true patriot, and there not many of us.

Just want to add my two cents

I have lived in both Chantaburi and Kanchanaburi. They are both greta provinces for tourism and great places to live.

They have seen violence over the years. When I first got here quite a while ago I remember hearing a British girl was raped and murdered by a former convict turned monk who buried her in a cave at a temple there. Then there was the police officer who killed the couple and now this Australian. Who knows how many others have died over the years. Despite freak incidents against foreigners I would recommend Kanchanaburi to anyone.

Chantaburi is another wonderful place to live. There are people who die there. I met a German man when I was there who was beat and knifed to death out on a back road there. He was an arrogant person who flaunted his wealth and power and eventually he met someone who didn't like it. Anyways the police got the guy who knifed him. If you have been to Chantaburi you'll notice a hotel on the way into town with a large ruby on it sign. That used to be mark's Travelodge. Form what I heard from the local in Chan the owner of the old hotel (not the current rebulit one) was gunned down in a Trad gem market. I guess in the 70s - 80s there was a lot of sutff like this out there. One side note that should be brought out is that lots of the gems that were sold through the markets there came from Cambodia, Khmer Rouge controlled Cambodia. In fact the/one capital of the Khmer rouge 'Pailin' means 'Blue sapphire.' Pailin is just an hour or so over the border from Chantaburi into Cambodia. So there are or were lots of weapons available. It would seem that the world's greed for stones helped the Khmer Rouge. But this is only my opinion.

"Crack down on illegal handguns, the root of the problem. A good idea but there is a huge number out there - litterally millions and gangsters obviously pay off the police so that their henchmen can freely pack guns."

Mate, the cops ARE the gangsters. If you want to hire a hit man, who do you call? The men in brown.

Aussie pedophile free on royal pardon :D

An Australian convicted of child sex offenses in Thailand was among 200 prisoners granted royal pardons Friday, drawing concerns from Australian authorities that he may still be a threat to children.

Bradley Pendragon, 46, was to remain in police custody until local authorities cleared his travel documents, said Prayat Jingchit, head of Bangkok's Klongprem Prison, where the Australian served 11 years of a 15-year term.

Pendragon said he plans to return to Australia.

Pendragon was convicted in 1995 for the rape of a 13-year-old handicappedgirl and was also found guilty of beating and raping two girls, aged 8 and 11, at a Bangkok hotel. :o

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingne...newsid=30007691

giffarine, absolutely no relevance to the topic at hand at all.

Since there seems to be no new news on this matter and the topic has degenerated completely off topic,

topic closed.