Australian Shot In Thailand

stumonster

I can't believe he's from a place called Waga Waga

Why is that mate/chummy? The late and great Anglo/Ozzie comedian Spike Milligan was from here too. Check the place out sometime you may be pleasantly surprised.

Lets hope this bloke pulls through and all the best to his folks and friends.

H.J

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all........goddamnit I'm so sick and tired of hearing all you expats complain about Thailand constantly, everytime you get the chance of saying something negative about the place, you will take it and throw out all your faul and negativeness in the face of us. WHY ARE YOU IN THAILAND ???? Is it because you did something silly in your home country and now you can't return ? Because it sure is a big mystery to me why you stay here when everything is soooooo wrong and bad and Thais apparently to you guys only are waiting for a chance to either kill you, steal from you or hustle you...... GO HOME YOU SOUR TURDS!

That post about proguns....... that one ticks me right off too. It's not exactly Einstein material that lesser guns will kill fewer people and you can take thoose statistics and shuff em' up. Statistics are excaly what was said earlier.... LIES. Its all in the eye of the beholder. How do you interperted statistics ? are we looking at numbers from one month, one year or 10 years, it depends on how you want to use them. If you want to say America had a decrease in rapes and uk increased all you have to do is look for a month where thoose numbers match your so call "statistic" and then you got the numbers you were looking for. EVery country in the world should make it illegal to own or carry a gun, you can have one in a shooting range and thats it PERIOD.

I think we would have a lot more positive atmosphere in this forum if you the "farang" actually tried to spend some time to understand the thais and their culture instead you just get angry and frustrated, it reminds me of USA and their total ignorance of why they are so hated....because they dont want to understand they just want things their way. OK sorry for having such an ill temper but im pretty new to this forum (maybe around 6 months or so and then i signed up) and ive seen so much negative stuff here, that i just couldnt hold it back any longer.

LOL PEACE OUT

Hm.. Euhum...Euhum....

Okay, now that I´ve cleared my throat of vehemencies... Khall said it best just there, when she said,

TROLL!

To the other dude dildo newfoundland beat that dude....

Dig this and bite your shovel. In austria there is a place called FUC.K:

Don´t censor that internet robots, it is a place name and is being used as such.

Edited by kayo

In canada, there is a place called dildo newfoundland. Beat that

HA HA HA, you're kidding, there's a place called Canada.

...and hey 10,000 murders a year is grand, once it's not you.

1 is way too many, if it happens to be.

Laugh and f__k as much as you can 'til that big day comes.

Edited by thomo

Its been going forever, its just now starting to be publicized! Just like all the crime and blood & guts you see on the front page of a Thai paper you never see on the front page of the Nation or Post. Thailand cannot afford the bad tourist publicity, they still love us for our money. It won't be long before you see a bomb go off here in BKK, planted by the insurgentsa in the south, and it will probaly take out a number of farangs. But it will be played down as a gas explosion in an unsafe kiychen or something like that. Wake up all you farangs who have adopted the Thai way of burying your head in the sand and maybe it will just go away. And as far as the one raeder who said "why don't all the farangs who hate it here so much just leave and go back to your own country" or words to that effect. You should be aware that it is already happening, slowly...slowly and it won't be long you will be right back where you want to be ...... a third world country asking for aid, invetsors and money from westerners. I am tired of preaching sorry just look around you, Indonesia, Philippines.

A lot of Thais have a mental image of a stereotype farang. And its not very flattering to us I am afraid. Loud , arrogant, rude. Shows little respect for people or customs. Thinks having big money entitles him to do what he wants and treat people like they are some kind of inferior fools.

Add to that that a lot of Thais see farangs as foolish and gullible with more money than brains.

And sadly this stereotype perception is probably correct in some instances. However, as anywhere, it is always the worst behaved individuals who give the majority a bad name. Its a complex relationship between farangs and Thais in the land of smiles. The smiles are more to do with Jai Yen and parting the farang from his money than any great respect or camaraderie they hold for us.

I have been ripped off by Thais in business dealings three times over the years. Now in retrospect, I have come to the conclusion that it was my own fault because I trusted them. It wont happen again (I hope :-).

The worst thing a farang can do when he realizes he has been ripped off is to confront the thief in an aggressive manner. Better just to cut your losses and walk away. Live to play another day. TIT.

I too have been ripped off in business. Once by a 56 year old Thai woman that I trusted and once by a Brit. The Thai woman got away with it and having my life threatened made trying to get my money back seem unimportant. The Brit was the worst as far as my being stupid. I don't think I have to try to get revenge on him because he put himself in a deep hole all by himself. He burned his bridges in the UK by skipping out on credit card debt and owing the government a substancial amount of money. When he goes broke here (soon) he is going to have to face the UK government. :o

A lot of Thais have a mental image of a stereotype farang. And its not very flattering to us I am afraid. Loud , arrogant, rude. Shows little respect for people or customs. Thinks having big money entitles him to do what he wants and treat people like they are some kind of inferior fools.

Add to that that a lot of Thais see farangs as foolish and gullible with more money than brains.

And sadly this stereotype perception is probably correct in some instances. However, as anywhere, it is always the worst behaved individuals who give the majority a bad name. Its a complex relationship between farangs and Thais in the land of smiles. The smiles are more to do with Jai Yen and parting the farang from his money than any great respect or camaraderie they hold for us.

I have been ripped off by Thais in business dealings three times over the years. Now in retrospect, I have come to the conclusion that it was my own fault because I trusted them. It wont happen again (I hope :-).

The worst thing a farang can do when he realizes he has been ripped off is to confront the thief in an aggressive manner. Better just to cut your losses and walk away. Live to play another day. TIT.

I can't believe he's from a place called Waga Waga
By the <deleted> we get some tossers posting crap on TV forum. :o

You don't have place names in your country that sound strange to foreigners???

Guys,

Crime is everywhere. In Sydney a 14 yr old girl is rapped and killed in the ladies toilets in a “good part of Sydney”. Her distraught brother and uncle search for her and knock on the door whilst she is being murdered.

That is way more tragic than this - in a safe city like a Sydney.

Unfortunately - we will see “SHIT” like this all our lives

Just do your best to help prevent anything that like this - that is all you can do

Stefan

Why is that mate/chummy? The late and great Anglo/Ozzie comedian Spike Milligan was from here too. Check the place out sometime you may be pleasantly surprised.

Lets hope this bloke pulls through and all the best to his folks and friends.

H.J

Terrance "Spike" Milligan was Irish, he was never granted British citizenship, hence all his english derorations, such as his CBE etc are all honorary.

He made one broardcast from Wagga, but never lived there, however, his mother did live in Woy Woy :D Sorry :o but infomative.

:D ...

"I have been ripped off by Thais in business dealings three times over the years. ... The worst thing a farang can do when he realizes he has been ripped off is to confront the thief in an aggressive manner. Better just to cut your losses and walk away. Live to play another day."

You got laid off three times this year ? :DHow ? Teach us protection ... :D

"I too have been ripped off in business. Once by a 56 year old Thai woman that I trusted and once by a Brit. The Thai woman got away with it and having my life threatened made trying to get my money back seem unimportant."
Bleedin' ! Got your life threatened by a 56 year old woman ?! :D And no way to to defend yourself [against her brothers, nephews, neighbours and the police], I guess :D ...

The violence against Farang, but also amongst eachother is great in Thailand. Maybe it's worse in some other countries like Colombia [ :Dto all you Thai !], but living here in the Netherlands I can say life is very violent in Thailand. We have much diamond dealers in Amsterdam, but there is NEVER a shoot-out over gems by dealers. Not even violent robberies; most of the robberies of gems [if ever] are sophistocated overhere :D , even our criminals are sophistocated.

I was planning to move to Thailand once, :o but I'd better keep reading http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/ for a while and get myself a bodyguard :D in advance.

BAN FIREARMS, there's nothing left to hunt anyway. SEVERE PUNISHMENT to those caught in possession of firearms. That's all.

Hmmmm, I received my first rifle when I was 9 years old (an old bolt action .22 calibre Cooey. Still have it in fact, 36 years later !)

I now own a number of rifles, shotguns and handguns (not here in Thailand though). In all those years, I've never shot at anyone, or used a firearm in any illegal manner.

I was fairly successful at the couple of civilian shooting competitions I entered, and usually scored near the top in every military qualification I did over 22 years of service.

When home, I often have to carry a firearm due to my work and location. Thus far I'm never had to use it, mostly due to good pre-planning, knowledge and experience.

Should I be subject to "SEVERE PUNISHMENT" ?

:D Of course not.... :D Unless you're a hitman, or part of some criminal organisation... :o

color=#CC33CC]

Hm.. Euhum...Euhum....

Okay, now that I´ve cleared my throat of vehemencies... Khall said it best just there, when she said,

TROLL!

To the other dude dildo newfoundland beat that dude....

Dig this and bite your shovel. In austria there is a place called FUC.K:

Don´t censor that internet robots, it is a place name and is being used as such.

[/color]

On top of having Dildo, Newfoundland, Canada... Beat this!

City : Climax

Province/State : Saskatchewan

Guys,

Crime is everywhere. In Sydney a 14 yr old girl is rapped and killed in the ladies toilets in a “good part of Sydney”. Her distraught brother and uncle search for her and knock on the door whilst she is being murdered.

That is way more tragic than this - in a safe city like a Sydney.

Unfortunately - we will see “SHIT” like this all our lives

Just do your best to help prevent anything that like this - that is all you can do

Stefan

Just the other day a perth man raped and killed a 8 year old girl, he targeted her because she looked asian and after strangling her and raping her in a shopping centre toilet he went to a shop close to the toilet to watch the police find her. SSick bastard they say he might plead insanity for a lighter sentance, people like him should be tortured to an inch of his life IMO

Wow I actually met this guy on a boat back from Ko Chang in April.

He seemed like a really nice guy, this is terrible that this would happen to

anyone, but this guy was extremely friendly and seemed like

some you could easily become friends with, so I feel that

it is a real tragedy.

I hope that he pulls through and is ok.

For all you internet speculators out there, this guy knew what

he was doing, and had been in Thailand long enough, that it wasn't

some frizalous arguement about buying low quality gems and then

not keeping his cool when complaining. So keep your know it all comments

to a minimum.

I think that the biggest reason why Thailand is so dangerous, is because

99% of the police department are complete idiots.

90% of the time there only way of idea on proving someone guilty is

by beating a confession out of them.

Crime in America is definitly not low, but most people know that if you don't

plan a crime out very well, the police who are not idiots will catch you.

Thankyou very much for your comments Mr Peace Out / 3 Posts! We, many of us, take every and each opinion (as well as digesting national and global news) into consideration before popping our words out in reply, for the global masses to digest. :o

Well thats great "the almighty I post so many post I cant be doing anything else but post silly post on thaivisa" just by you commenting and referring to me as mr 3 post tells me that you are an obnoxious blip! And what is it im saying ?? is it my opinion or im i not entitled to have one since I only posted 3 post so far. Hail the mother of posts !

Thankyou very much for your comments Mr Peace Out / 3 Posts! We, many of us, take every and each opinion (as well as digesting national and global news) into consideration before popping our words out in reply, for the global masses to digest. :o

Well thats great "the almighty I post so many post I cant be doing anything else but post silly post on thaivisa" just by you commenting and referring to me as mr 3 post tells me that you are an obnoxious blip! And what is it im saying ?? is it my opinion or im i not entitled to have one since I only posted 3 post so far. Hail the mother of posts !

Well maybe we can change your name to Mr five post. You make some good points, and I agree with you. If you dont like it here why dont you leave. But then you just had to make a derogatory comment about the United States that seems so politically appropriate these days. How quickly people forget the past.

To the world's eternal shame, 9/11 is increasingly seen as America's comeuppance. Incredibly, anti-Americanism has increased over the last few years.

There has always been a simmering resentment to the USA. - too loud, too rich, too full of themselves and so much happier than Europeans - but it has become an epidemic.

A little over half a century ago, around half a million Americans died in Europe to rid the world of an evil man. Have we forgotten so soon? And on 9/11/01, thousands of ordinary men, women and children - not just Americans, but from dozens of countries - were butchered by a small group of religious fanatics. Are we so quick to betray them?

These days you don't have to be some dust-encrusted nut job in Kabul or Karachi or Finsbury Park to see America as the Great Satan. The anti-American alliance is made up of self-loathing liberals who blame the Americans for every ill in the Third World, and conservatives suffering from power-envy, bitter that the world's only superpower can do what it likes

without having to ask permission.

The truth is that America has behaved with enormous restraint since September 11.

Remember those people leaping to their deaths from the top of burning skyscrapers. Remember the hundreds of firemen buried alive. Remember the smiling face of that beautiful little girl who was on one of the planes with her mum. Remember,

remember - and realise that America has never retaliated for 9/11 in

anything like the way it could have.

So a few al-Qaeda tourists got locked without a trial in Camp X-ray? Pass the Kleenex. So some Afghan wedding receptions were shot up after they merrily fired their semi-automatics in a sky full of American planes? A shame, but maybe next time they should stick to confetti.

AMERICA could have turned a large chunk of the world into a parking lot. That it didn't is a sign of strength. How many in the Islamic world will have a minute's silence for the slaughtered innocents of 9/11? How many Islamic leaders will have the guts to say that the mass murder of 9/11 was an abomination?

When the news of 9/11 broke on the West Bank, those freedom-loving Palestinians were dancing in the street. America watched all of that - and didn't push the button. We should thank the stars that America is the most powerful nation in the world. I still find it incredible that 9/11 did not provoke all-out war. Not a "war on terrorism". A real war.

The fundamentalist dudes are talking about "opening the gates of hel_l", if America attacks Iraq. Well, America could have opened the gates of hel_l like you wouldn't believe. The US is the most militarily powerful nation that ever strode the face of the earth. The campaign in Afghanistan may have been less than perfect and the war on Iraq may be misconceived.

But don't blame America for not bringing peace and light to these wretched countries. How many democracies are there in the Middle East, or in the Muslim world? You can count them on the fingers of one hand - assuming you haven't had any chopped off for minor shoplifting.

I love America, yet America is hated. I guess that makes me Bush's poodle. But I would rather be a dog in New York City than a Prince in Riyadh. Above all, America is hated because it is what every country wants to be - rich, free, strong, open, optimistic.

Not ground down by the past, or religion, or some caste system.

Unless we get back on topic & stop the place name, anti every country, go back to where you come from, gun control debate this will be closed.

My prayers to the victim, I hope he makes a full recovery.

A little over half a century ago, around half a million Americans died in Europe to rid the world of an evil man. Have we forgotten so soon?

That old chestnut again. Why is it we have to hear that song every time you guys are on the defensive? The real reason USA fought for Europe during WWII was that they realized after Pearl Harbour that unless they did, the next fight was going to be on American ground.

This is not America-bashing btw, just correcting a commen misconception. Also, don't take this as Europeans are ungrateful, I'm sure most of us are happy you did step in, just don't make it seem like you did it just for Europe because that is just not true.

Edited by Phil Conners

Well i hope the poor guy survives and makes a more or less full recovery.

Might be some biz dispute, conducting one in Thailand is never easy when one meet dishonest person. Wish him fast recovery & the result of the shooting shall known after police investigations.

2. If you had 1,000 people WITHOUT guns and they all got into an argument with someone, what are the chances of a tragedy???

Answer: NO CHANCE AT ALL!

As I said before, it's not rocket science!

You've never seen a real Thai-style street fight? Thai culture definitely does not proscribe against kicking a man while he's down. It's not uncommon for a defenseless or unconscious combatant to get many more minutes of abuse and suffer permanent injuries such as brain damage or ruptured organs.

All very well, but this discussion is not about gun control, thai style fighting or random speculation.

The news at hand from ABC news:

The father of a young Australian man shot in Thailand says the incident will not deter him from visiting the country.

Lee Burkinshaw, from Wagga Wagga in the south of New South Wales, was shot in the stomach on Tuesday night.

The 22-year-old was meant to undergo surgery in a Bangkok hospital to remove a bullet from his abdomen, but the procedure has been delayed.

His father, Ian Burkinshaw, says his son was a gem stone collector and early investigations suggest he was involved in a business dispute.

"Reports are fairly sketchy but I'm sure it will all come out in the wash and hopefully, a good resolution and most certainly, we just hope Lee recovers from it," he said.

"Obviously, it is a bit of a shock for us and certainly, more of a shock for him."

Ian Burkinshaw says he will not be deterred from visiting Thailand.

"Every country has the unruly and I think this is what's culminated here," he said.

"Thailand as a country is just a beautiful place to go - beautiful people - and this is just one of those unfortunate incidents which we hoped we didn't get the phone call but we did."

Thailand is not exactly covering itself in glory at the moment!!!

:o

oh, thailand covers itself in something allright. i have to hand it to the thai's though, they all know muay thai and can kick the poop out of all us farangs, but they save time and energy by popping us with lead.

A little over half a century ago, around half a million Americans died in Europe to rid the world of an evil man. Have we forgotten so soon?

That old chestnut again. Why is it we have to hear that song every time you guys are on the defensive? The real reason USA fought for Europe during WWII was that they realized after Pearl Harbour that unless they did, the next fight was going to be on American ground.

This is not America-bashing btw, just correcting a commen misconception. Also, don't take this as Europeans are ungrateful, I'm sure most of us are happy you did step in, just don't make it seem like you did it just for Europe because that is just not true.

Sorry, Forgot to give credit to the author of that old chestnut song. It was taken verbatum from the London Daily Mirror and written by Tony Parsons on 9/11/02.

Cheers

Mate

A mate of mine is very good friend of Lee the guy who was shot.

This had nothing to do with a bad business deal, or anything to do with the gem business directly.

He was being extorted by the Mafia for "protection" and he'd refused to capitulate.

I just wanted to clarify things in the face of endless speculation.

He's recovering in hospital awaiting a second operation to remove the bullet.

I've been told the police are taking this matter VERY SERIOUSLY, no doubt due to this being the second Australian shot in as many weeks.

I've met and spent time with Lee, and as mentioned earlier he's a very friendly and sensible guy who's been here for more than a year and speaks very good Thai.

Lee is also regular reader and fan of ThaiVisa.

I wish him all the best and hope he makes a speedy recovery.

wave

minor shoplifting.

I love America, yet America is hated. I guess that makes me Bush's poodle. But I would rather be a dog in New York City than a Prince in Riyadh. Above all, America is hated because it is what every country wants to be - rich, free, strong, open, optimistic.

Not ground down by the past, or religion, or some caste system.

[/b]

wow - i have not seen a chip on a shoulder like yours for ages -well done - and im with mr 3 or 5 post - if all americans are like you im signing up for hate american brigade - thank goodness most have a brain of some sort - im usually quite mild manmnered but why why do americans like you HAVE TO BE SO LOAD AND SO CRAZ