Suthep becomes a monk

webfact

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I am really confused! Has he now given away all his wealth, house, car wife etc, as that is one of the main tenets of becoming a monk! Does he not have to study Buddhism for many years and pass exams before being ordained? Or does he just see it as a licence to continue his evil ways like the other PDRC monk, and has been let in by the back door. I respect genuine Buddhists and particularly genuine monks, but there are very few who actually divest themselves of everything and live the life as promulgated by the great Buddhist teachers.

Sent from my Lenovo A3000-H using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Monks do not have to give away all their worldly goods (including wife), nor do they have to study for many years and pass arduous exams. They have to take a vow that includes, notionally, not handling money. That's the theory. We all know the reality. That said, there's a big difference between a novice monk buying a bowl of noodles and flying about in your own jet.

When and if they decide to leave the monkhood, they may return to home, wife, family and bank account.

Edited by dru2
  • Like 1

The Sangha does not "allow anyone in". You may not enter the monkhood ... (more puzzlingly) if you suffer from a physical handicap such as loss of a limb.

Only people who have the potential for achieving enlightenment in the current life are permitted to enter the monkhood. Women, nagas and handicapped people are considered not to have that potential. In the case of the handicapped, it's considered a hangover from a previous existence, so you're more than one step away from enlightenment.

He seems old for this, wouldn't he have done this before?  Or do Thais do it more than once in their lives in some cases?

Typically Thai men do it when they're in their late teens/early twenties, and again when their family responsibilities wane (children working, just retired).

His choice of Wat Suan Mokh is significant. It's in the forest tradition, and is not associated with the greed and corruption of city temples - particularly in Bangkok.

Whilst it is tempting to speculate that he is sending a signal that he's no longer involved in politics and/or avoiding arrest, I suspect that this is more a case of a man weary after the long, tiringcampaign he lead seeking spiritually and emotionally to recharge.
Indeed.

Best wishes and respect to Prapa Saro (monastic name).

:wai: :wai2: :wai:

He seems old for this, wouldn't he have done this before?  Or do Thais do it more than once in their lives in some cases?

Yes.

My ex brother in law became a monk again after being married and having children ( who are now 20+ )  

• Like 1

Now I am really confused! Has he now given away all his wealth, house, car wife etc, as that is one of the main tenets of becoming a monk! Does he not have to study Buddhism for many years and pass exams before being ordained? Or does he just see it as a licence to continue his evil ways like the other PDRC monk, and has been let in by the back door. I respect genuine Buddhists and particularly genuine monks, but there are very few who actually divest themselves of everything and live the life as promulgated by the great Buddhist teachers.

Sent from my Lenovo A3000-H using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

:blink:

How can you respect any Buddhists when you obviously understand so very precious little about them?
  • Like 1

I wonder how much of the protesters money he donated to have monkhood bestowed on him so quickly? Maybe he can escape persecution now as a monk being absolved from his wrongdoings? There has to be a motive to this change for him and i doubt it is for benefitting Buddhism

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

All this talk on Thai Visa, going on about how Suthep was mad, and bad for Thailand. Fine.

Hold on, Suthep's demonstrations paved the way for the coup. The coup would not have happened IF Suthep didn't organize and orchestrate those demonstrations.

How many people are there, who reckon that Suthep is mad and bad, and they ALSO support the junta doing their coup ?  Was Suthep really make it all up when he said that he had already made arrangements with the military, to do a coup, a few years ago ?

He might not be mad, but he sure as hell is just about one of the most corrupt ex govt officials in Thailand.  rolleyes.gifwhistling.gif

• Like 2

whistling.gif  To put it plainly:

I am not a supporter of him completely ..... but I am very glad he did what he did.

Prior to Suthep Thai politics was a brotherhood of corrupt Thai politicians of two major parties whose whole concern was their own greed, self-interest, and organized corruption.

Well, to be fair it still is.

But at least Suthep broke the mold and changed things for a while.

Whether for the better or the worse only time will tell.

But at least he broke the mold, and Thailand and Thai politics needed that shakeup.

For that shakeup he needs to be congratulated.

But, as we have seen here on this forum many times  in the last year, he is detested by those, which includes many Farangs , who derived and are continuing to derive benefits from the corrupt status quo politics that Suthep shook up.

But, I guess, that's to be expected.

rolleyes.gif

Edited by IMA_FARANG
  • Like 2

I wonder how much of the protesters money he donated to have monkhood bestowed on him so quickly? Maybe he can escape persecution now as a monk being absolved from his wrongdoings? There has to be a motive to this change for him and i doubt it is for benefitting Buddhism

Please. Study just a bit about Buddhism before commenting on it.

Amen!!!

(pun intended)

They will let anyone in. And it does not have to be a lifetime contract. Good place to hang until things return to "normal" and he can get back to what he does so well.

The Sangha does not "allow anyone in". You may not enter the monkhood if you are in debt, on the run from a criminal offence or (more puzzlingly) if you suffer from a physical handicap such as loss of a limb.

depends on how much you are prepared to pay

This sends a clear message to General Prayuth that he's staying out of politics for the time being, which is a good thing anyway anyone looks at it.

Why does he need to send a message? He's played his part in the plan, and is no longer needed.

• Like 2

PDRC's street protests and seizure of government offices, as well as violent retaliations using weapons of war that resulted in many deaths and injuries, were finally brought to an end when the military seized power on May 22.

So that sounds like they blame the PDRC for "violent retaliations using weapons of war that resulted in many deaths and injuries," - which indeed was caused by the reds
  • Like 1

I am not a supporter of him completely ..... but I am very glad he did what he did.

Prior to Suthep Thai politics was a brotherhood of corrupt Thai politicians of two major parties whose whole concern was their own greed, self-interest, and organized corruption.

Well, to be fair it still is.

But at least Suthep broke the mold and changed things for a while.

I think you're giving him a little too much credit. Street marches and shutting down Bangkok and mass rallies are hardly new. That said, though, if you said "he" instead of Suthep, it could apply to Thaksin.

Yes, it could. Including.... no, ESPECIALLY the part about the smoke and mirrors about organised corruption. Suthep wrote the book on that, and Thaksin just tweaked it a bit.

A startling similarity (cue Twilight Zone theme) is that both Suthep and Thaksin had not been a monk at age 64. Suthep is 65. Could next year, when Squarehead turns 65, be *his* turn at the monestary. Do NOT change the channel.

Seeing all the red posters spreading buckets of shit over K. Suthep
I want to remind that without Suthep we still would have a PTP government
and possibly Thaksin back.

I do not knows K. Suthep's motives.
But having been corrupt in the past does not necessary mean still being corrupt.

Forgiving is a part not only of Christianity or Buddhism
But here every poster allows themselve to judge. - And without evidence
  • Like 2

There is a reason the forest tradition of Theravada grew so strong a few years back. Because there's so much BS going on in the day-to-day scene.

"monks are not supposed to handle money", yet cash is handed out in the bowls each morning by many. Not to mention the hundreds of donation boxes in some temples. Sure, a donation box makes much sense, but making people feel guilty not to give again, and again, and yet again. Well, to me it all sounds very non-buddhistic. 

And sure, this is just a face thing. Gives a good image.

Just like some relatives will become monk after an elder pass away, for 7 days that is. During those days they don't refrain from money, they don't refrain from smoking. They might refrain from drinking though. And they make themselves suffer by sleeping on bare ground without a pillow or fan (at least out in the amper of the province in nowhere, i bet the "hi-so" monks got AC, just like the monks sitting in Ayutthaya).

The feeling for making merit is more or less extinct unless you go somewhere completely of the grid. I'm not that Buddhist, I agree to many principles, but my philosophy tends to lean more towards Zen than Thai-Theravada.
I have met some really nice monks here, monks that truly had an "aura" of goodwill, compassion and peace around them. But not once did I meet the similar kind in Bkk, only in places like outskirt Sisaket, Ubon, Nan and prae. Not saying that there are no good monks in Bkk or any other capitalistic center. Just saying they are more scarce and hard to come by...

But having been corrupt in the past does not necessary mean still being corrupt.

You are partly right, and most of this is just opinion anyway. But you are wrong about the "without evidence" part. Mr Suthep's corruption is legion and documented. There is lots of suspicion about many other deals, but there are well known, publicised and documented corrupt deals. A well-known series of corrupt deals by Suthep even caused the fall of a Democrat government. Evidence is not lacking.

• Like 2

You are partly right, and most of this is just opinion anyway. But you are wrong about the "without evidence" part. Mr Suthep's corruption is legion and documented. There is lots of suspicion about many other deals, but there are well known, publicised and documented corrupt deals. A well-known series of corrupt deals by Suthep even caused the fall of a Democrat government. Evidence is not lacking.

I am talking about him being still corrupt - I am not denying having been corrupt in the past. That's why I am talking about forgiveness - may be also bringing his past corruption to the court as well as that of all the others

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It would be great if some on the red side were to attempt to make some merit for the deaths and injuries they caused with their shootings and grenade attacks or raise or donate some money to help the families who have suffered because of them.

Havent seen any of them show any remorse. The closest to remorse would be the one who fired the grenades that killed the children at big C. It is reported that he cried when he admitted firing the grenades and said he didn't realize they would kill anyone. Cried for himself not the dead.

What the heck, fired grenades from a moving vehicle in the general direction of protesters and never gave a thought that someone might get killed. A thought process that went no farther than pulling the trigger.

Where has Suthep shown any remorse for the violence and deaths for which he has been complicit? Just ordering police to shoot at protesters feet (Suthep's own testimony) is hardly an act of generosity or sympathy.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It would be great if some on the red side were to attempt to make some merit for the deaths and injuries they caused with their shootings and grenade attacks or raise or donate some money to help the families who have suffered because of them.

Havent seen any of them show any remorse. The closest to remorse would be the one who fired the grenades that killed the children at big C. It is reported that he cried when he admitted firing the grenades and said he didn't realize they would kill anyone. Cried for himself not the dead.

What the heck, fired grenades from a moving vehicle in the general direction of protesters and never gave a thought that someone might get killed. A thought process that went no farther than pulling the trigger.

Where has Suthep shown any remorse for the violence and deaths for which he has been complicit? Just ordering police to shoot at protesters feet (Suthep's own testimony) is hardly an act of generosity or sympathy.

and not much good for the shoes

The great reformer has become a monk for Buddhist Lent. Good, it should keep him quiet for a while. It is said the long protest led by him cost him hundreds of millions of baht personally.Perhaps that explains his outburst and claim to have been in close consultation with General Prayuth since 2012.
It must be galling for him to see the good general take all the power and credit for cleaning up Thailand when he worked and walked so hard himself.

The great reformer has become a monk for Buddhist Lent. Good, it should keep him quiet for a while. It is said the long protest led by him cost him hundreds of millions of baht personally.Perhaps that explains his outburst and claim to have been in close consultation with General Prayuth since 2012.
It must be galling for him to see the good general take all the power and credit for cleaning up Thailand when he worked and walked so hard himself.

Amazing that given his asset declaration signaled he had far less than that to start with....

Anyway if he has spent lots of his own money, it wont of been done without guarantee of having it returned with interest and then some.....

In the peaceful atmosphere of the temple,surrounded by advocates of mindfulness he will be able to work out a few corrupt schemes to get the money back.

Joining up with his buddy the mad monk to talk over old times?

He will be out by the end of September latest if even that long! Anyway, time to count his rewards for services rendered.

Has the monk you refer to been certified mad? 

Why do the Shin supporters insist on insulting anyone who doesn't follow the way of the fugitive criminal?