NEVER speak Thai in English Class

I don't speak Thai anywhere near fluently, so I don't use much.

But I will say everything in English 3 times and if I have to in Thai once.

Usually to explain a step in the project. I draw a lot on the board. I can show them most vocabulary by drawing. The odd word, I will write the Thai on the board and the students find it hilarious that I struggle with their language as much as they do with mine. That part of using Thai is a real point of connection.

Students correcting my Thai is part of my classes and I think it works to make me look like I've got something in common

with them.

How do you explain unbelievable on the board, when using chalk, or a marker???

When students have to correct your Thai, you've got the wrong profession. You should correct their English and teach them how to use it.

Edited by lostinisaan

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is really only one 'never' that is always true--*never* say *never*--(yes, I believe this oxymoronic statement). I would, however, agree that for most native English teachers that almost all lessons should go by without the teachers speaking any Thai, and that Thai students should be encouraged, guided, prodded and cajoled as much as possible into speaking in English as much as possible in class.

I agree, most all-inclusive or all-exclusive words occur so infrequently, it is hardly worth using them. There are exceptions to almost everything--please notice I said 'most' and 'almost'.

Its not that amazingly difficult if you take some time to plan it.

Start with believe. Do you believe me?

Then do don't believe.

Then to unbelievable.

How do you explain unbelievable on the board, when using chalk, or a marker???

• Like 2

This thread goes on and on totally assuming that the English Language class is in a public or perhaps a private school teaching children / teenagers up to about age 17-18 ... Folks that is not all of English language teaching that goes on in Thailand ... and the stuffy RULE that one never speaks Thai in an English language class is .... so terrible does not always apply ..

Not all English language training in Thailand is directed to children or teenagers. When working with Thai adults - a whole different approach is needed... and it has nothing to do with a regimented - no Thai spoken mentality

• Like 1

Teaching a language, and thereby using the native language? Really?

When it comes to teaching foreign languages, countries like Belgium set the example.

Not a single word in the native language is spoken in the classroom, or printed in the handbooks.

If you need the native language to explain something, that only proves you are teaching something too early, or in a wrong way.

To learn a new language, the student has to think in that language!

the same applies in a welsh only school, no English must be spoken until school is finished at the end of the day, that way you will learn more quicker, or so they say

• Like 1

I think that limited use of the students' mother tongue can be helpful in situations where the student has absolute minimal knowledge of the second language that they are learning (English).

When teaching in Myanmar, I speak/write some Burmese (Myanmar-sa), when my youngest students have no idea what the word/concept is that I'm trying to convey.

It is ok if you are teaching a new word for an object, such as a pen, and can show that pen to the class. But suppose you are trying to teach the word 'city' (for example). Yes, you can draw a city on the board, but are you trying to teach them city or buildings or or??

When the students lack confidence and class time is limited, I prefer to write the word in Myanmar-sa and speak it in that language one time only - after that it is all in English. (Students who forget the English word will be reminded by their friends).

As an aside, I am attending Mandarin Chinese classes in Phuket using Thai-Chinese textbooks and a teacher who speaks no English. Having her write/speak words (one time) in Thai really helps me to learn the Chinese words more quickly, which is important since I'm paying 'through the nose' for these private lessons.

• Like 2

Inutil,

Thank you. You have described what I'm doing perfectly.

I don't use the class to better my Thai.

I use the occasional Thai phrase when they absolutely don't grasp the concept of the day's project, or to explain the definition of a word.

When they correct my poor pronunciation or the way I've written it on the board, we make a joke out of it.

I'll ignore the posters who insinuated I'm both a pisspoor and a selfish teacher.

When it comes to teaching foreign languages, countries like Belgium set the example.

Not a single word in the native language is spoken in the classroom, or printed in the handbooks.

If you need the native language to explain something, that only proves you are teaching something too early, or in a wrong way.

In Belgium it's immersion from day one to finish.

How many hours a day do they have English? Thailand it's 2 hours a week in classes of 50 or more.

Thai students change schools a lot when their grades allow them to go up to a better school. If you teach at a school with a lesser reputation, you have kids in grades 11 and 12 who hardly speak a word.

I'm not spending 3 months in order to get the students to form 10 groups of 5 kids, I'm telling them in Thai.

How many hours a day do they have English? Thailand it's 2 hours a week in classes of 50 or more.

Thai students change schools a lot when their grades allow them to go up to a better school. If you teach at a school with a lesser reputation, you have kids in grades 11 and 12 who hardly speak a word.

I'm not spending 3 months in order to get the students to form 10 groups of 5 kids, I'm telling them in Thai.

3 months!!

I could show them in less than 1 min.

3 months!!

I was being somewhat facetious. I have inherited students in grade 12 who can't tell you what their name is or how old they are.

To write their name in English they pull out their driving licenses. It takes a whole class period to get those students to understand dividing into groups of 5.

After they figure it out, they will have forgotten it for the next class and it happens all over again.

Hats off to you that you can do it in less than a minute!

You're a far better teacher than I'll ever be obviously, but I'll use a little Thai to move things along in the meantime.

• Like 1

Not all students and all classes are going to learn English, or math or science for that matter, so if you have a class which lags far behind, then it might be wise to back track and back up in what is trying to be taught.

To write their name in English they pull out their driving licenses. It takes a whole class period to get those students to understand dividing into groups of 5.

After they figure it out, they will have forgotten it for the next class and it happens all over again.

You're a far better teacher than I'll ever be obviously, but I'll use a little Thai to move things along in the meantime.

If the kids cannot even follow English commands to make a group, I'm sure your activity is way over their head, confusing them further. Regardless of their age, you might want to start at the beginning with basic classroom language/commands.

Also, It would be interesting to know what content you are trying to teach and what your lesson objectives are.

• Like 1

I think that if you are teaching elementary students with some English that Thai should be avoided, just to keep the students focused.

There is something to be said for using Thai in class at a pinch, but if you are going to use Thai, make sure your pronunciation and syntax is correct.

Otherwise, what's the point?

• Like 2

3 months!!

I was being somewhat facetious. I have inherited students in grade 12 who can't tell you what their name is or how old they are.

Sounds like they won't learn anything much - I've been there and understand. My OP was about a class in a language school with 12 students.

I once taught 'conversational English' to over 100 girls and 4 boys in a rural university and the whole thing was a farce but fun as everyone involved knew why they were doing it. In one term nothing really was learned but they were exposed to a real farang. Yes, I spoke some Thai then but this was many years ago when there were far fewer foreign teachers.

• Like 1

3 months!!

Sounds like they won't learn anything much - I've been there and understand. My OP was about a class in a language school with 12 students.

I once taught 'conversational English' to over 100 girls and 4 boys in a rural university and the whole thing was a farce but fun as everyone involved knew why they were doing it. In one term nothing really was learned but they were exposed to a real farang. Yes, I spoke some Thai then but this was many years ago when there were far fewer foreign teachers.

I hope my response didn't sound snotty.

I'm getting more English out of them drawing, than lecturing. we're doing a "My Story" scrapbook and they're learning some English when they cut and paste and draw.

There is some writing as well. They have no idea they're learning English when their hands are covered in glue.

When reading posts on this topic I can understand how difficult it must be to teach English to Thais. I was taught French when I was a kid and in my exams got 13.5 per cent. Well, lessons were disrupted by the bombing raids 1942. That's my excuse anyway. I was thrown out of the class as being a lost cause. Never had reason to speak French since. Unlike trying to teach Thai, at least you could recognise the alphabet! My grandson, raised by my wife and I since birth is now 13, speaks English fluently and of course writes English very well.. He has had the the benefit of my English being translated into Thai by my wife who also speaks very good English.And one advantage is that he never watches Thai TV. Always English language program's and I am sure that that has broadened his vocabulary. When he was a toddler I made up a set of flash cards and encouraged him to read phonetically It worked for him. But of course he lives with us full time so speaking Thai and English comes naturally to him. I don't envy you your job English teachers, but power to your elbows.

• Like 2

When reading posts on this topic I can understand how difficult it must be to teach English to Thais. I was taught French when I was a kid and in my exams got 13.5 per cent. Well, lessons were disrupted by the bombing raids 1942. That's my excuse anyway. I was thrown out of the class as being a lost cause. Never had reason to speak French since. Unlike trying to teach Thai, at least you could recognise the alphabet! My grandson, raised by my wife and I since birth is now 13, speaks English fluently and of course writes English very well.. He has had the the benefit of my English being translated into Thai by my wife who also speaks very good English.And one advantage is that he never watches Thai TV. Always English language program's and I am sure that that has broadened his vocabulary. When he was a toddler I made up a set of flash cards and encouraged him to read phonetically It worked for him. But of course he lives with us full time so speaking Thai and English comes naturally to him. I don't envy you your job English teachers, but power to your elbows.

Thanks!

Most of us are really trying hard to make a difference. Many approaches, none of them right or wrong.

You, as a parent, grandparent, are doing us teachers a world of favour when you help out the way you do.

Parents emphasizing the need to learn other languages is our biggest support group.

Cheers, and thank you, Duane

If you call anyone from around the World , A ...... Monkey it is considered racism ! whether you call it black or white ....

Totally inappropriate for anyone, let alone a Teacher ! To use such descriptions to make a point is a disgrace !!!

Not the type of Teacher I would want educating my Kids !

Edited by Dragon Ball
  • Like 1

Hmm, so if i walk into a classroom and none of he Students speak any English,how would you even begin without using some Thai Language to get it started ??

Do a teacher's training course and you'll find out.

If you call anyone from around the World , A ...... Monkey it is considered racism ! whether you call it black or white ....

Totally inappropriate for anyone, let alone a Teacher ! To use such descriptions to make a point is a disgrace !!!

How many kids do you have?

I call mine monkeys all the time. It's term of endearment.

BTW, they're half Thai half Scottish monkeys , so kinda light brownish ones.

Edited by Neeranam

Cheeky tar tan ones? My late stepfather called me a cheeky monkey. Both white and I was 67 years old. Racism? I don't think so. I was brought up to think of monkeys as mischievous. Nothing to do with race or colour. It was the so called politically correct that put the racism connotation on it.

Cheeky tar tan ones? My late stepfather called me a cheeky monkey. Both white and I was 67 years old. Racism? I don't think so. I was brought up to think of monkeys as mischievous. Nothing to do with race or colour. It was the so called politically correct that put the racism connotation on it.

Some of mine are water buffalo monkeys. It's not seen as racist here, just a good natured put-down.

Thats a cop out ,it was used in a derogitory manner.....

Thats a cop out ,it was used in a derogitory manner.....

You're right. Context is everything. But usually younger kids will respond to little monkey in the right way.