Airport, checking all incoming passengers?

BngkkB

I came back twice, once from Philippines and once from Europe last week and have not been asked to Xray the bag. However I saw Customs stopping randomly other farangs before me

I've been in and out some 30-40 times. I've always seen the x-ray machine manned and have always seen them doing random checks. When I was a lone traveler, with a backpack only, I was never checked. When coming back from the US with 6 huge suitcases on a trolley, I always had to put every bag through. What a pain.

These bags were filled with everything including the kitchen sink! LOL. They asked about a stereo component I had one time, no biggie to them, so I asked wifey to ask them what they were looking for. They told her mainly cigs and booze. The fine for being over on the booze is astronomical.

There have been reports things may be changing. When I came through with new cameras, PCs, tablets, phones, etc, I always threw away the boxes, took them out of their packaging and separated the manuals, etc. Never had a problem.

It will be interesting to see if anybody has a bad experience with regards to these "new" rules.

If you can prize the guys heads up from reading their newspapers...because I have never remotely looked like being stopped in the umpteen trips I have gone into swampy.Now the World Cup's finished maybe they have a few minutes here and there to spare!

A lot of country's are checking the latest security check when leaving a country, you have to make sure your phones, iPads, lap tops and other electronic devices are fully charged if not they will take them off you.

Not fully charged but you have to be able to switch the devices on and show that they work.

• Like 1

Well....my neighbors just got back from the UK today. They go every year and have been doing so for a long time. Their bags were scanned and they found a brand new handbag in one. It was an expensive one. 70-100k Baht or so. They had to pay 10k duties on it.

She's quite upset as they've always bought stuff in the UK and brought it back. First time they've ever had a problem. Bummer.

A quick question. I've been working temporarily in Dubai, coming to BKK on Thursday, got a bottle of tequila, do I put it in my checked baggage or drink it ?

we tried so hard to make everything cool

As long as it's not over a litre you hand carry it in. You are allowed 1 litre of alcohol and 200 cigs or equivalent tobacco. Bring any more than that it and you are in a world of expensive pain.

There have been thread on here before about this. Off hand I seem to remember that you pay a fine calculated at 4 times the cost of the booze+duty and it's confiscated too so you finish up with a big fine and no booze.

http://www.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/connect/custen/travellers/allowance+and+relief/allowancerelief

Edited by sustento
  • Like 1

A quick question. I've been working temporarily in Dubai, coming to BKK on Thursday, got a bottle of tequila, do I put it in my checked baggage or drink it ?

As long as it's not over a litre you hand carry it in. You are allowed 1 lite of alcohol and 200 cigs or equivalent tobacco. Bring any more than that it and you are in a world of expensive pain.

There have been thread on here before about this. Off hand I seem to remember that you pay a fine calculated at 4 times the cost of the booze+duty and it's confiscated too so you finish up with a big fine and no booze.

Thanks, I'll take it out of checked luggage in airport

As long as it's not over a litre you hand carry it in. You are allowed 1 lite of alcohol and 200 cigs or equivalent tobacco. Bring any more than that it and you are in a world of expensive pain.

Sustento is talking about duty free booze, if you already have the bottle it must be put in your check in luggage. You will not be allowed to take it on the plane, unless you bought it in duty free.

Sustento is talking about duty free booze, if you already have the bottle it must be put in your check in luggage. You will not be allowed to take it on the plane, unless you bought it in duty free.

Wot 'e said...

Doesn't anyone find it just a tiny be degrading to your honor as a human being, to constantly have to line up and beg, and do tricks to prove to some numbnuts or other that you're worthy? We're constantly being numbered, tagged, checked, surveilled......and for what? Generally I mean....in some places more, in others a bit less, but generally in the 21st Century. I find it all quite unnecessary and distasteful to be honest.

Our unquestioning acceptance of this situation reveals the slave mentality. A Century before you board a ship to anywhere, no passport needed, no stamp, no visa and no invasive anything...You could have a solid gold Inca God idol in your suitcase...and a brace of pistolas...... No-one's business but your own. All you'd hear is "Welcome Sir - Very good Sir - Another scotch Sir?" and you'd be on your way.

Non of this nonsense we have today. All so we can be "safe" of course. Good to see that everyone is so concerned with safety...I hope you're all feeling as "safe" as I am. I seriously don't know what I'd to if not for the gentle caress of big brother, always there to soothe and protect.

Yeah well, a Century before people didn't fly planes into the World Trade Center either.

Possibly because the WTC hadn't yet been built ? whistling.gif

• Like 1

It's amazing that they catch so many smugglers.

The reason they catch so many is because in 90% of cases, they know exactly who to pull aside and they were expecting them. This info was from a former Bangkok DEA guy.