Late night (1am) arrival into BKK - Questions.

Daewoo

My flight arrives at 1:10am, I would like to make my trip into town as quick and painless as possible.

Will immigration be well staffed at this time? or should I look at buying a fast track coupon? (late hour, less agents = longer queues?).

What will the queue for Taxi's be like at 1:30am? I assume the airport is less busy, so therefore the Taxi's might be lower in numbers. (late hour, less taxis = longer queue?)

Is it worth trying to get a Taxi at the departures level?

I have always arrived at 11pm, and would use the Departures level, as the queues at the official rank were long, disorganised, and it is the only place where they would try and scam a high fixed fare. Departures level I never had a problem.

If the queue at the official rank will likely be long, will it be any quicker to go to the departures level through the carpark? or risk trying for one of the turnstiles that may or may not be open for people trying to exit? Seems like you are trading one wait for another. Will there be Taxi's on the departure level? (If consensus is that there will be no queue at the official rank, I will use that.)

Please spare me the "don't be a cheap charlie, pay the 50 baht" comments. I always tip taxi drivers very well, it's about reducing time and hassle.

Please spare me the "it's illegal and immoral" comments, one of the privileges about knowing a country is knowing how to get around most easily, and without hassle, and I've had enough bad experiences at the official rank to want to avoid it if it makes sense.

Please spare me the 'if you don't like the official rank, use a limo' comments - I am willing to pay a reasonable amount for a better service, but not 4 times the price of doing it myself, especially if the service isn't going to get me into town more quickly.
Please spare me the "use the rail link" comments - I don't want to catch a train - I want a taxi.

Thanks in advance,

Daewoo

Edited by Daewoo

To be honest, the time you will spend replying to posts about your post will likely be much much more than just waiting a few mins for a taxi - if you have to wait at all.

Don't over analyze it, just get one where you would normally do - at least there will be a record of someone picking you up I imagine.

Ahhh - but I am replying in work time, which means it is free - better still, I'm being paid for it.

So - will there be plenty of taxi's? Immigration agents?

The difference between Level 1 and Level 4 used to be huge, both time and hassle.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Ahhh - but I am replying in work time, which means it is free - better still, I'm being paid for it.

So - will there be plenty of taxi's? Immigration agents?

The difference between Level 1 and Level 4 used to be huge, both time and hassle.

Go have a quick look at arrivals first then..

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I arrived at about 1.30 a week or so back (flight delayed), got to immigration just after two large aircraft from Europe had disgorged the multitudes, chaos was ensuing :(

A run to the other immigration hall netted a 3 person queue :)

• Like 1

Thanks Crossy - I'll try and find a map to suss out how to get between the two - I don't mind paying 800 baht if it is going to get me through 15mins faster, but would feel pretty silly if it was for nothing.

Came through last night at 12.20 from Singapore and never seen such a bored looking lot of customs officers and assistants.

Talk about a ghost town. Never seen the place so empty.

Obviously the level of happiness experienced in Thailand isn't filtering out to the international community.

• Like 2

Thanks Crossy - I'll try and find a map to suss out how to get between the two - I don't mind paying 800 baht if it is going to get me through 15mins faster, but would feel pretty silly if it was for nothing.

If the first immigration hall you come to is clogged, just keep walking you'll see more immigration signs.

Note that there are a few gates actually between the immigration halls, IIRC there are signs pointing both ways at the top of the escalators. On the odd occasion I've used these gates (buses from remote gates also arrive in this area) a nice lady has been directing passengers to the less busy immigration area.

• Like 1

Came through last night at 12.20 from Singapore and never seen such a bored looking lot of customs officers and assistants.

Talk about a ghost town. Never seen the place so empty.

Yup, I arrived at about the same time on the 17th from KL, same experience, shame the bags weren't so quick sad.png

Sounds like there is no need for a Fastrack then - happy days - My only real bad experience has been when I have arrived at the same time as a full flight (or maybe two) from China... that is absolute bedlam...

Surprisingly, had exactly the same experience at LAX last year

By all reports the queues at the official Taxi rank seem manageable - so that seems the go as well... Shame really, I used to feel special knowing how to get out of the airport the fastest... people just don't the importance of every second when you are arriving towards closing time in BKK...

:D

Thanks,

Daewoo

A friend of mine just left via Swampy to the States and said he has never seen the airport so quite he sent a photo it looked deserted, he put down the lack of tourists to the coup maybe

There is flights going out at 0.2.30 +++ so people will have had to get a cab there,

Also any country the cabbies know what time the last flight is,,

In Heathrow the cabbies are told at the feeder how many planes left and delayed,

Your limiting the amount of replies you will get with the

"Please spare me the....." Line

555+

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

Thanks Apiwan - this is new to me, as the usual flights from Aus arrived late at night, but before midnight - now that Qantas has done a deal to ditch BA and form an alliance with Emirates, most of our flights to Europe for via Dubai instead of Asia - so services have changed and reduced dramatically...

<snip>

Your limiting the amount of replies you will get with the

"Please spare me the....." Line

555+

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I know, but it is so frustrating when trawling through treads try to pull together up to date info, only to have 75% of replies be someone voicing their (opposing) opinion, and not providing info...

Cheers,

Daewoo

I went up to Arrivals to catch a taxi into town, as I normally do, last month. The driver seemed to indicate agreement to my clear message (in Thai, though that is not essential) of 'meter only' then tried to negotiate a fee once he had set off. We were still alongside the platform so I just told him to stop and got out, resisting rudeness and shouting; we then had a bit of a stand off where he was reluctant to open the boot/trunk, but eventually he gave way.

Never had a problem before - I thought all drivers understood that those who come out for a taxi on level 4 know the ropes!

I arrived at about 1.30 a week or so back (flight delayed), got to immigration just after two large aircraft from Europe had disgorged the multitudes, chaos was ensuing sad.png

A run to the other immigration hall netted a 3 person queue smile.png

This is exactly what regular users know in order to avoid the crowds.

There are two immigration zones, west & east. (There used to be 3 but the middle smaller zone was designated VIP, Crew & Fast track only, about 5 years ago). Most people just proceed to the nearest immigration zone without thinking to check the other one. The difference between the two can normally be as stark as Crossy describes.

You can actually know and predict which immigration zone will be busy based on the time of day as airline arrivals and the gates they commonly use tend to result in distinct patterns at both zones.

Edited by Lakegeneve

... people just don't the importance of every second when you are arriving towards closing time in BKK...

biggrin.png

Thanks,

Daewoo

I do! And to avoid the rush, I have my regular outcall masseuse pre-booked (online or by phone) and waiting in the lobby when I check-in... or even in the room at my regular digs (very understanding staff there). They also make sure they have my preferred beer in the minibar.

I use the AoT limo btw. After being in a pressurised tube for hours, I am not about to nickel and dime over a grubby cab with a speed-racer driver and a dodgy meter. I once had the masseuse meet me at the airport once. Now THAT was special.

Edited by NanLaew

Sounds like there is no need for a Fastrack then - happy days - My only real bad experience has been when I have arrived at the same time as a full flight (or maybe two) from China... that is absolute bedlam...

biggrin.png

Thanks,

Daewoo

Chinese nationals must use the visa on arrival channel, not the normal arrivals channel. Unless you are from a country that requires a visa on arrival, the Chinese bedlam will not affect you.

Results in case anyone finds this looking for info.

No wait at immigration, plenty of officers on duty.

No wait for Taxi at official rank, no heaps of taxi's but enough that there was no waiting.

• Like 1

You can actually know and predict which immigration zone will be busy based on the time of day as airline arrivals and the gates they commonly use tend to result in distinct patterns at both zones.

Most people don't spend their time on the airport analyzing these things am I right?

I don't know about that, EnjoyYourLife - if you've been caught at Immigration for 40mins like I have, you'll start looking at other options, especially if you regularly come in on the same flight.

Most people don't spend their time on the airport analyzing these things am I right?

Quoting the first sentence of that post. "This is exactly what regular users know in order to avoid the crowds."

Quoting the first sentence of that post. "This is exactly what regular users know in order to avoid the crowds."

I think everyone's experience is based on their last 30 to 60 minutes at the airport, either leaving or arriving. In the grand scheme of 24-hour airport operations, that 'experience' amounts to a hill of beans. Even regular users haven't a clue what the these 'distinct patterns' are.

I think everyone's experience is based on their last 30 to 60 minutes at the airport, either leaving or arriving. In the grand scheme of 24-hour airport operations, that 'experience' amounts to a hill of beans. Even regular users haven't a clue what the these 'distinct patterns' are.

All the regular users I know are aware of the distinct patterns as these have been consistent for years and are logical based on flights and gates. Regular users do build up knowledge over time, that should be self evident should it not?

Such knowledge was especially important in previous years (prior to moving the LCCs to DMK and the installation of the upper level departures zones) to avoid what were at times prolonged delays at immigration zones. That problem is not so acute in the last 2 years, however it is still useful most times.

The basics of distinct pax patterns are not that much different in essence than say a regular BTS pax knowing that using the east end of BTS Asoke station during peak times will involve often a lengthy wait with a huge crowd (at times the whole concourse area is crowded), whereas the west gates will be much quicker with much fewer people.

I would think that many regular users do have "a clue" based on their experiences. Indeed posts in this thread attest to that fact. The fact that you "haven't a clue" means that you have the opportunity in the future to do what others have and build up that knowledge. Or goodness you could even just ask.....

In any event, the main point that Crossy made, which I reiterated, is that it is useful for first or irregular users is to be aware of the simple fact that there are two immigration zones. To check the other if the closest one is packed of arriving pax. Knowing just will often save a lot of time at immigration.

All it takes is the more learned passenger's flight arrival or departure to be delayed and his knowledge of any 'distinct pattern' is invalidated. Similarly, if his plane is on time but there's a late arrival of an A380 that got in just in front, then he's buggered. I would say that a frequent flier may only have a 'rough guide' at best but agree that it is a start. The contention that flight schedules have "been consistent for years" is a flawed premise. Airlines come and go and just two years ago, the whole Skyteam group changed their global schedules so that some of their high-capacity BKK flight lines shifted by up to 12 hours.

But your point on checking the alternate Immigration zone is a very good one.

Another one is not using any 'fast track card one may have been given if it isn't really needed. If the halls are deserted, save it for the late A380 'rainy' day!

Edited by NanLaew

All it takes is the more learned passenger's flight arrival or departure to be delayed and his knowledge of any 'distinct pattern' is invalidated. Similarly, if his plane is on time but there's a late arrival of an A380 that got in just in front, then he's buggered. I would say that a frequent flier may only have a 'rough guide' at best but agree that it is a start. The contention that flight schedules have "been consistent for years" is a flawed premise. Airlines come and go and just two years ago, the whole Skyteam group changed their global schedules so that some of their high-capacity BKK flight lines shifted by up to 12 hours.

But your point on checking the alternate Immigration zone is a very good one.

Another one is not using any 'fast track card one may have been given if it isn't really needed. If the halls are deserted, save it for the late A380 'rainy' day!

Please don't try to distort what someone else has written, it really is poor form. I didn't use the term 'flight schedules' at all in any post. Yet you change "are aware of distinct patterns as these have been consistent for years "to "flight schedules have "been consistent for years" is a flawed premise."

Flight schedules and distant patterns (in relation to immigration zones) are distinct. They are obviously related but not the same. Also, Skyteam is the smallest of the 3 main worldwide alliances with very few airline movements at Bkk compared to both OneWorld and more relevantly Star Alliance airlines that use BKK airport. I can't see that an alliance that would have less than 2-3% of aircraft movements helps support a view (even one based on misrepresentation)?

The point that you make about flight delays is of course true though more relevant for arriving flights than departing ones as the pax would have already cleared immigration. And yes in the arrival context if you know that a TG, LH or EK A380 has just landed it pays to know where most of those pax will go.

The main factor regarding consistent patterns which should be very obvious. TG is clearly the airline with the largest number of movements at BKK airport.

I'll use departures as a brief example. TG's check in counters are closer to the east immigration zone (excluding all those TG pax using the Bus/1st/VIP section).

Thus, at their peak regional morning departure time (7-9am), it is usually better to use the west immigration zone from 6-8am. Similarly, TG has another peak departure time in the late evening between 10pm & 12:30am. Thereafter, many of the regional and long haul airlines with check in counters closer to the west zone have departing flights. After a certain time just before midnight, it is often better to use the east zone. Of course, there are a few times during the day when both zones have a somewhat equal number of pax. And to state the patently obvious, daily and seasonal fluctuations do occur and can change the normal pattern. It is usually a matter of a quick check.

That the immigration zones have distinct patterns is also reflected in the staffing levels at both zones. It is not uncommon at some times of the day, to have 2-3 times the number of immigration officers at one zone compared with the other (again in relation to departures). This was also reflected in the fact that back in 2009 the AOT introduced signage with live camera views of the other zone to advise pax to use the other zone if 'this one was busy'. This was one of the few excellent ideas by the AOT. That was at a time when a number of people were missing flights due to long immigration queues, some people waited for hours rather than thinking to check the other zone.

This is just a brief overview as the patterns are more nuanced but you have the idea. The same principal applies for arrivals (though gate changes do impact that more). Regular users do build up knowledge (whether they know it or not) over time, even accounting for change over time. This works for moi and all of my friends/colleagues who use the airport regularly. Not 100% of the time of course but most of the time (85-90%?)

That's fine but after all that, you now throw out the casual modifiers that your oft repeated 'distinct patterns' are subject to 'daily and seasonal fluctuations' which 'can change the normal pattern' or these 'distinct patterns' are suddenly 'more nuanced'.

That's quite a 'misrepresentation' of the mayhem that was wrought on departing passengers for most of the day while they changed from the old East & West conga-line departure Immigration/Security shambles to the slightly more efficient Upstairs/Downstairs shambles. Don't forget the all-embracing lack of Immigration officers last year that also plagued arriving passengers for hours while agencies were farting about with re-opening Don Muang for international flights or whatever other excuses they threw up for a lack of knees under a desk.

It is a lottery and any claimed benefits from a rather limited empirical knowledge garnered by frequently using the same carriers and flights is exactly that; rather limited.

That's fine but after all that, you now throw out the casual modifiers that your oft repeated 'distinct patterns' are subject to 'daily and seasonal fluctuations' which 'can change the normal pattern' or these 'distinct patterns' are suddenly 'more nuanced'.

That's quite a 'misrepresentation' of the mayhem that was wrought on departing passengers for most of the day while they changed from the old East & West conga-line departure Immigration/Security shambles to the slightly more efficient Upstairs/Downstairs shambles. Don't forget the all-embracing lack of Immigration officers last year that also plagued arriving passengers for hours while agencies were farting about with re-opening Don Muang for international flights or whatever other excuses they threw up for a lack of knees under a desk.

It is a lottery and any claimed benefits from a rather limited empirical knowledge garnered by frequently using the same carriers and flights is exactly that; rather limited.

You first stated that, "Even regular users haven't a clue what the these 'distinct patterns' are." Seemingly, you felt that you could speak for all regular users which obviously wasn't the case for this regular user. I explained that the regular users I know do understand the patterns of pax movements through immigration at the airport. That there is a patent self evident fact, that most - not all - regular users at airports build up a profile of knowledge over time. That there are distinct patterns that can be observed.

You've then used an airline alliance with less than 3% of movements (your irrelevant Sky Team reference) to argue that there cannot be any distinct patterns, misrepresented "flight schedules" as distinct patterns and now you want to throw in the Don Muang "reopening" (it never closed btw) for what relevance is only know to you.

It is clear that for you, using the airport it is a "lottery". Seemingly, you think that there are no discernible pax patterns when using immigration and it is all with chaos and mayhem. That is obviously your choice to believe that. For some people, using an airport is a complex and stressful process full of uncertainties.

As I said, regular pax of any transport system build up a knowledge over time, whether they know it or not. Using that knowledge is another thing. Some chose to use their analytical skills in order to minimise delays when travelling (as one might do in a supermarket queue), others chose to be sheep and blindly follow the flock. Seemingly based on your expressed views, the former will never be an option as it is just not possible!

Some of us will keep using the knowledge that we have and in the main, avoid the queues. Happy travels.

Edited by Lakegeneve