Free bottles of wine for the intrepid drinker

Maejo Man

In the process of a giant clean out, and found eight bottles of wine in the bottom of a cupboard. (now six as my neighbour nicked two of them)

All around 1996 vintage and reds. Probably terrible buy now, but if anyone is interested please PM merolleyes.gif

• Like 1

They might be quite good.    We found two bottles of a 2000 California wine at tiny wine shop on Suthep Road a few years ago.     It was great and we went back to hunt for more but those were the only two.    What a California wine was doing in that little place is still a mystery.   

A very generous gesture on your part, however from what I can make out, apart from one South African wine, the rest appear to be around the "table wine" category of French wines, which would not usually last past a few years.

A very generous gesture on your part, however from what I can make out, apart from one South African wine, the rest appear to be around the "table wine" category of French wines, which would not usually last past a few years.

Correct, and better suited for rust removal, but the St. Emillion might be the only one in with a chance. There is a member on the way to collect them as I write, anf he, no doubt will pass judgementrolleyes.gif

• Like 1

7-11 has a decent selection of inexpensive wines.

Mexican prisons have better prices and selections.  Red Grapes were 35 thb per Kg in Arizona last week; that made me a little homesick.

Edited by Thighlander
  • Like 1

Correct, and better suited for rust removal, but the St. Emillion might be the only one in with a chance. There is a member on the way to collect them as I write, anf he, no doubt will pass judgementrolleyes.gif

Many thanks Maejo Man, it as good to catch up with you. I have not sampled any of the wine as yet but the port was excellent thanks and went well with a big chunk of ripe stilton that I had handy! Reports on a bottle by bottle basis to follow........

• Like 1

Many thanks Maejo Man, it as good to catch up with you. I have not sampled any of the wine as yet but the port was excellent thanks and went well with a big chunk of ripe stilton that I had handy! Reports on a bottle by bottle basis to follow........

Not a problem. Keep me postedsmile.png

• 4 weeks later...

Apologies for the delay in sampling the wines kindly donated by Maejo Man. A brief report on findings below.

1. CUVEE IMPERIALE Vin de Table 11%

About 10% of volume lost due to evaporation.

Cork rotted.

Brownish red colour.

Not quite paint stripper but close.

1. BORDEAUX Grand LISOS 1996

About 10% of volume lost due to evaporation.

Cork rotted.

Brownish red colour.

Again, not quite paint stripper but close. Unfortunate as this could have been a nice one.

1. CUVEE EXCEPTIONELLE Vin de Table

Cork stuck and rotted.

Brownish red colour.

Paint stripper.

1. BARON DE LA CONSTELLE 1999

Cork stuck and rotted.

Dark brownish red colour.

Slightly sour but possibly well received on the Thames Embankment after midnight.

1. LES VIGNAUDS CEPAGE SYRAH Vin de Pays 1996

Cork rotted.

Brownish red colour.

Taste as per 4.

1. CHTEAUD’ARMENS ST EMILION 1996

Cork crumbly and stuck.

Brownish red colour.

Decanted and left to breathe as this was likely to be the best of the bunch.

Not sour but a rather flat taste and would go down well on the Embankment.

Thanks again Maejo Man!

• Like 2

biggrin.png Thanks for the detailed reportthumbsup.gif  I did say that they might be better suited for paint stripping, but a fun exercise none the less. I trust that you are still hale and hearty after the experience rolleyes.gif

Yep, it was fun and I'm still soberish....

7-11 has a decent selection of inexpensive wines.

Mexican prisons have better prices and selections.  Red Grapes were 35 thb per Kg in Arizona last week; that made me a little homesick.

For the prison.  They do say some people commit crimes so they can return home,smile.png

Any chance of a port in the pile ????

G

No sorry mate  but I will bring a bottle over next visitrolleyes.gif

MjM

You know I'm getting up in years now....... uuuhhhh   you think I'll still be alive when you come for your next visit ????

tongue.png tongue.png

Yes you were alive and kicking last time i saw you