Too Young to Retire to Live...Now What?

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree with you completely. If I was under 50 I would be screwed.

And yes, this will encourage all kinds of sham marriages. You can bet there are lots of Thai women who would "get married" for 100K baht or much less.

Your only options are things like an education or business visa, or to get married. But if that's not what you want to do then don't do it! Take this from a married man, lol

Maybe a chat with an immigration attorney wouldn't be a bad thing.

Better than advice on a forum IMHO.

And yes, this will encourage all kinds of sham marriages. You can bet there are lots of Thai women who would "get married" for 100K baht or much less.

Your only options are things like an education or business visa, or to get married. But if that's not what you want to do then don't do it! Take this from a married man, lol

You have to bring your wife every year. can't see how scam marriages will dramatically rise.

Personally I would go the ED Visa route and then whatever propitious circumstance is presented forthwith.

Great sentence and great advice to boot. Don't know why you'd rush into anything, when you could wait a few months, take a nice long holiday and see where the dominoes have fallen in a few months.

• Like 1

I have not read everyone else's suggestions, but many businesses including bars and restaurants can be owned by you. And you can get a work permit as the MD. Just be careful what you do on the job as serving drinks in your own bar is not legal.

Just a suggestion.

The absolute first response with any information that has not been said over and over. You can get a visa by owning a bar but you can't serve. This forum seems to be full of people that love to tell you what an idiot you are for asking for suggestions yet they have zero real Thai business experience. Of course there are exceptions but you know if you are one.

I am not an expert on the marriage route but are there not multiple options for marriage?? Is my understanding correct that a marriage can be preformed by a monk that is only valid in Thailand and there is a more official route that is valid worldwide? I along with the OP might be interested in advise on this and legal ramifications in the event of stormy weather.

i havent seen a monk marry anyone. and unless its registered i dont think its valid anywhere including thailand

Well your definitely wrong. There have been posts about it in the past where members claimed to have had a home wedding by a monk, paid a sin sot, but never made it official at the amphur office. I wish these guys would speak up now but for the record my Thai GF says you have no idea what you are talking about.

I am not an expert on the marriage route but are there not multiple options for marriage?? Is my understanding correct that a marriage can be preformed by a monk that is only valid in Thailand and there is a more official route that is valid worldwide? I along with the OP might be interested in advise on this and legal ramifications in the event of stormy weather.

The only way to be legally married in Thailand is to go the Amphur (District Office) and sign the papers and get the certificate. Monks can't legally marry you, unlike in the West where Rabbi's and Priests have authority from the State/Government to perform legal marriages.

• Like 2

i havent seen a monk marry anyone. and unless its registered i dont think its valid anywhere including thailand

Well your definitely wrong. There have been posts about it in the past where members claimed to have had a home wedding by a monk, paid a sin sot, but never made it official at the amphur office. I wish these guys would speak up now but for the record my Thai GF says you have no idea what you are talking about.

please settle down. the marriage is done in the home, monks are present and bless the union but a LAYMAN performs the ceremony and unless its registered at the amphur it isnt a legal marriage. i had one and have attended many many of these ceremonies and i can assure you I do know what i'm talking about.

• Like 1

The Education Visa is not just ONE year!!!

you can do a couse for 6 momths, or 10 months (perhaps 3 months) at some schools.

go and check!

so then you dont need to invest in a whole year upfront.

here is a quick example:

http://www.tlslanguageschool.com/ed-visa

(look at the table at the bottom of the page)

also: you can check UNIVERSITY COURSES (that teach in english) and study something else. (Fashion, Business, etc)

your choices are not limited to studying thai !!!

Yes let's be honest. If you have so much money that you can stop work and retire at the age of 33. Then 500 k baht is not that much money.

If it where allowed to stay here with border and tourist visa runs, it would cost a lot to do that for 5 years

Has it occurred to you that the kind of person who is able to retire at 33 is also the kind of person unlikely to be duped by the Elite 'lite' card?

• Like 1

I'm in a very similar position I'm 34 and draw a similar income from the UK which I spend in Thailand though I'm not rich I consider 100,000bhat a month in Thailand allows me to lead a life that I'm comfortable with. I've considered and am still considering the elite card but it would mean realocating funds which aside from being a pain in the ass would efectivly be throwing 500,000bhat down the drain and lets be honest no one really want's to lay out that much for zero return.

My Thai girlfriend can't leave Thailand she has a job she enjoys, her family are here and has other than for a short vacation she has no desire to leave Thailand who can blame her for that lol. She's suggested getting married which has kind of put a strain on the relationship it's not that I'm averse to the idea but to me it seems wrong to rush into it in order for me to get a visa.

I'm currently on an ED visa which I received 2 months ago it wasn't straightforward getting that it took 11 days and I had to show bank statements and proof of income from the UK, they wouldn't accept my Thai bank statement and insisted on seeing proof of funds from my UK accounts. I applied for and was told I would receive a multi entry but when I picked it up I'd received a single entry which is useless as I have to return home to see the family in a couple of months.

so being able to stay in thailand and live with your girlfriend is in your opinion a "zero return"?

Not to mention 5 years of not having to renew tourist visas or do border runs...

Someone on a retirement extension has to show assets of 800k available or comparable income from abroad...

Someone married to a Thai has to show assets of 400k available or comparable income from abroad...

Those on back-to-back Visa Exemptions or Tourist visas do not have these requirements... They are cracking down on those living in the country on the wrong visa...

If you don't fit in one of the above categories and don't want to invest in a business in Thailand, get a job or get an ED visa, the Elite Card is the only other option... Perhaps the Thais got tired of giving entry away for free to those skirting the visa regulations... You want to stay, you gotta pay!!!

Edited by Loptr
  • Like 2

Without the Elite thingy, Thailand does not want you. This is not unusual in many other nations, like usa.

Your marriage documentation will have to be very, very good. Mine went thru a lot of papers, photos, friend's letters, and so on even tho we were married in usa 5 yrs while living there. Had a follow up visit to our Thai home, too, but did not pose for investigator in bed room, but nearly. Marriage visa was no slam dunk... not a sure thing, even then. Now, hooo boy, likely will be tougher.

You are Australian and you want to live in Thailand. There are lots of Thais who would like to live in Australia. But it is impossible for them to do so. My wifes brother could not even get a tourist visa. So why should you complain about regulations here?.

life in australia is expensive and sorry to say not for ordinary thais

Any Thai worth his/her salt could live off the land easily lol.

why are you guys on retirement visas so giddy? cheesy.gif

With all that's happened, I wouldn't be surprised to see the retirement age raised to more of a proper retirement age, like 60-65.

Why is that then?

OP, Visa challenges aside, have you thought what you're going to do with all your spare time as things could get boring, very quickly.

Find an answer to that & it may be an answer to your visa problems (e.g You may decide you want to start a business, start a family or study).

FWIW I tried retiring at 40 & was climbing the walls after 4 months (granted this was in the UK, in winter) so ended up going back to work albeit freelancing (IT consultant before anybody asks me how much for ST/LT, to which the answer then was 6,000 THB for 1 hour [emoji12]) rather than working for the man.

Edited by JB300

why are you guys on retirement visas so giddy? cheesy.gif

With all that's happened, I wouldn't be surprised to see the retirement age raised to more of a proper retirement age, like 60-65.

All the change in visa exempt entry & back-to- back tourist visas is just an interpretation of existing regulation. To change the regulations regarding retirement and marriage extension (and maybe others) would require a new Police Order and maybe changes in Ministerial Regulation(s).

Since there have been plenty enough comments on this forum that Thai officialdom is lazy (among other things) I'll just rely for now on Thai inertia and that they might not be willing to expend the effort that would require.

Edited by JLCrab

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

why are you guys on retirement visas so giddy? cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif alt=cheesy.gif width=32 height=20>

Thai folk retire at 60, there are countries l believe earlier, why should we be treated differently...?

I agree that 50 seems too low, and my guess is it's on the table.

It might seem low to you. I was forced to retire from my previous occupation at 40 years of age. I had to wait 10 years and my thoroughly deserved pension now allows me to meet the current financial requirements to stay in Thailand for the forseeable future. Anyone with a crystal ball please post because proper planning and preparation prevents piss poor performance. Edited by watso63

OP - you say in your post that you are "...basically forced to do this..." (marry your girlfriend).

Perhaps it is a product of globalisation over the past few decades, or perhaps the laxity of previous regimes, but I'm struck again and again by how many people posting their visa problems here seem to have the underlying assumption that they have special rights as foreigners in Thailand, and the indignation that is implied or expressed when Thai immigration enforces laws which have been on the books for decades.

Nobody is forcing you to do anything. Others have made practical suggestions as to how you might solve your dilemma. Why not just accept your position as a farang that is welcome to come and live in Thailand, but only under specific conditions? Your own country imposes far more stringent controls on foreigners, in particular Thais.

Exactly, one only has to watch a season of Australian Border Security to see that! Those Australians border officers seem like real pricks...they make the Thai officers look Mr. Rogers by comparison.

Let's look at it from the other side. Im sure your GF is tickled pink by the new visa crackdown as it may force you to "buy the buffalo" so to speak and Thai immigration laws are made to benefit Thailand/Thais not Australians don't forget.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya
  • Like 2

And if I was a potential "bought" Thai bride, it would be money up front, a no show at the sham wedding then kerching, next sucker....5555555 Wait a minute, could I start a business??? Edited by watso63

Though I'm aware that the elite card is'nt a great outlay when divided over 60 months at 8,333bhat per month it's still quite a hit to most people paying out 500,000bhat initially. I've worked hard and am careful with my money which is why I've been able to move here at a realtivly early age, also keeping my money invested and working for me will allow me to provide for my future.

As far as I understan it re-entry permits are only available with multi entry ED visa's and can't be obtained for single enrtry ED visa's I hope I'm wrong on this if I am please advise?

You're rich aren't you...retired at 34...another Zuckerberg! What, and you're pissing and moaning about a measly 500k baht. If you can't afford to lay out such a small sum, I'd say the Thai visa crackdown is the least of your worries.

• Like 2

The only way to be legally married in Thailand is to go the Amphur (District Office) and sign the papers and get the certificate. Monks can't legally marry you, unlike in the West where Rabbi's and Priests have authority from the State/Government to perform legal marriages.

Western priests may solemnize marriages, just like monks or village headmen may do in Thailand. The marriage is not legal until the civil marriage license is issued by the appropriate government office.

Western priests may solemnize marriages, just like monks or village headmen may do in Thailand. The marriage is not legal until the civil marriage license is issued by the appropriate government office.

define solemnize. a layman who may or not be poo yai ban performs the actual ceremony.

Edited by AYJAYDEE