Too Young to Retire to Live...Now What?

I am not an expert on the marriage route but are there not multiple options for marriage?? Is my understanding correct that a marriage can be preformed by a monk that is only valid in Thailand and there is a more official route that is valid worldwide? I along with the OP might be interested in advise on this and legal ramifications in the event of stormy weather.

The only way to be legally married in Thailand is to go the Amphur (District Office) and sign the papers and get the certificate. Monks can't legally marry you, unlike in the West where Rabbi's and Priests have authority from the State/Government to perform legal marriages.

Western priests may solemnize marriages, just like monks or village headmen may do in Thailand. The marriage is not legal until the civil marriage license is issued by the appropriate government office.

define solemnize. a layman who may or not be poo yai ban performs the actual ceremony.

I'm just saying that neither western religious marriage ceremonies nor Thai monk/village weddings are legal marriages until they are registered with the relevant civil authorities. Usually in the west, this is done before the wedding is performed, and in Thailand after. That's all.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm just saying that neither western religious marriage ceremonies nor Thai monk/village weddings are legal marriages until they are registered with the relevant civil authorities. Usually in the west, this is done before the wedding is performed, and in Thailand after. That's all.

i know but many seem to have misconception that the monks actually take part in the wedding ceremony and really all they do is allow for merit making and bless the couple after the layperson has performed the actual ceremony.

• Like 1

Yes let's be honest. If you have so much money that you can stop work and retire at the age of 33. Then 500 k baht is not that much money.

If it where allowed to stay here with border and tourist visa runs, it would cost a lot to do that for 5 years

Has it occurred to you that the kind of person who is able to retire at 33 is also the kind of person unlikely to be duped by the Elite 'lite' card?

Has it occured to you that then he is not the kind of person Thailand like to have here for a long stay ?

Everyday we see posts from all those " very rich" people that can retire when they are 30. And every time they can't spend more money than a tourist visa cost. Even if they say that they have millions of $

• Like 1

I am not an expert on the marriage route but are there not multiple options for marriage?? Is my understanding correct that a marriage can be preformed by a monk that is only valid in Thailand and there is a more official route that is valid worldwide? I along with the OP might be interested in advise on this and legal ramifications in the event of stormy weather.

The only way to be legally married in Thailand is to go the Amphur (District Office) and sign the papers and get the certificate. Monks can't legally marry you, unlike in the West where Rabbi's and Priests have authority from the State/Government to perform legal marriages.

Western priests may solemnize marriages, just like monks or village headmen may do in Thailand. The marriage is not legal until the civil marriage license is issued by the appropriate government office.

define solemnize. a layman who may or not be poo yai ban performs the actual ceremony.

Are you sure the word is soleminize ?.... based on reports over many years about western priests it wasnt "solemizing" they were up to with the chior boys...whistling.gif

I have been waiting for someone to post something like this as I am too in a very similar situation and see very little practical advice from people actually doing something. Myself, I have come to these conclusions.

I am too busy to go to school and I am not gonna just get married for a visa, the only thing really left are two options.

1. Go to your home country and apply for a one year multi-entry business visa. I have a friend that did this a couple years ago with no hassle, he said he was planning to start a company in Thailand and they gave him a one year 90 day per entry business visa to do research in the country to start his business.

2. Actually start or buy a company. I am leaning towards this one as I don't want to even be bothered going back once a year and I don't want the chance to get denied a business visa. I already have companies in both China and Hong Kong but I don't know that much about the limitations and workings of a Thai company so for both myself and the original poster let me ask some questions to the forum about this.

- Can a company a foreigner owns basically do anything? For example, could I own a small bar, coffee shop or restaurant and have a staff of 4 people and that gets me the working visa? Of course as long as the place didn't take much work and didn't lose money that is a decent option.

- If you open a company does the first foreign visa come without 4 staff or do you need 4 staff to even secure 1 foreign working visa?

Of course I'm gonna wait to see how hard core they get about the whole thing but if you have enough money to throw 500,000 THB for elite status, it would only cost maybe 100,000 - 200,000 to have some business that could hopefully break even every year and maintain your visa.

Now, I have not done this in Thailand so I am in the position for people to shoot my theory down if they have real experience.

About 60k per month wages, rent, tax, electricity. Auditing fees. You'd be lucky to make half that per month.

Petrol, finding staff , that's really not easy. All the forms to fill out for the visa. If you can't read Thai you will need to pay someone to do it all for you.

It would probably cost you 400 K per year.

The company has to run and pay tax for a year before you can apply for you visa and work permit. So 400k before you start.

The elite card costs 500k for 5 years ? 100k per year ?

Go and learn Thai then at a repuable school, and get an Ed Visa

Invest THB 10 million is condo's and get an investment visa

or the one you didnt want mentioned the 500k TE card (less than THB 300/d) and gets you 5 years of hassle free visa's

Get a job in Thailand

Thailand doesnt recognise "common law" relationships and one suspects that aint going to change

+ Marry her +++ & about a dozen other ways to stay.... that are grey areas (not to mention on TV ) but for someone who has come from a successful business , try thinking on your feet about them--its not difficult.

One Example "JUST completely HYPOTHETICAL" If one of the million abandoned village girls having babies would happen to put your name on the birth certificate as the father, I guess you would be looking for a dependent Visa.....This is not England they will not be asking for a DNA....but of course no one would do that or any of the other 6-8 grey area things that come to mind...... as it Just wouldn't be right.

Look at the Elite Card again...300 baht a day.....have you done the math on what it would take to relocate, not to mention having a Thai girlfriend who wont be happy in most of the surrounding countries.

2 young people in a place like Thailand---its so easy to make a living here thewaggaringa or you can view it from the bar stall & listen to how its all going to collapse -- how they hate farrangs...how they have got it in for us.

Good luck on your new start here................................coffee1.gif

You would have to become the legal father, apparently it costs about 100k to petition the courts for it. Yes you do have to do a DNA test oh and pay child support for the next 21 years and as you are the legal father she can just dump the kid on you when she wants to do a runner forever. thumbsup.gif

Are you sure the word is soleminize ?.... based on reports over many years about western priests it wasnt "solemizing" they were up to with the chior boys...whistling.gif

Maybe sprinkling with holy water or anointing with oil...or eat my body given for you :)

• Like 1

Yes let's be honest. If you have so much money that you can stop work and retire at the age of 33. Then 500 k baht is not that much money.

If it where allowed to stay here with border and tourist visa runs, it would cost a lot to do that for 5 years

Has it occurred to you that the kind of person who is able to retire at 33 is also the kind of person unlikely to be duped by the Elite 'lite' card?

Has it occurred to you that someone CLAIMING the ability to retire at 33, with a not unrealistic life expectancy of maybe another 50 years and the not unrealistic mean monthly expenditures in LOS of 100,000 baht will need a sustaining nest egg of MINIMUM 60 million baht... or US$1.8 million. That's not allowing for any interest rates, forex changes, etc..

Even ruling out this lump-sum availability, what is their reluctance to fork out a mere 500k baht for 5 years of Immigration bliss... or even go the whole hog and get the 1 million baht one and live it larger/longer.

Most of these claiming to have retired early have done the math and have it all balanced and worked out or else they wouldn't be (claiming they are) doing it. They are probably going to be a lot smarter than the 2-week millionaires we are all familiar with. I reckon they will be good for 3-and-half weeks, 4 weeks tops.

Now, who is duping who here?

• Like 1

Is it just me or does there seem to be a lot of young people who dont work latly?

I am jealous. Lol

Notice alot in Chiangers. Most on ED visas, not digital nomads. Young people who travel/hang out full time no visible means of support. I haven't missed a paycheck since 1994.

Though I'm aware that the elite card is'nt a great outlay when divided over 60 months at 8,333bhat per month it's still quite a hit to most people paying out 500,000bhat initially. I've worked hard and am careful with my money which is why I've been able to move here at a realtivly early age, also keeping my money invested and working for me will allow me to provide for my future.

As far as I understan it re-entry permits are only available with multi entry ED visa's and can't be obtained for single enrtry ED visa's I hope I'm wrong on this if I am please advise?

If you have your ~US$2 million pot silted away already, why on earth is 500k baht such a formidable outlay?

Think of it as an 'investment' in being able to park your arse somewhere.

• Like 2

Though I'm aware that the elite card is'nt a great outlay when divided over 60 months at 8,333bhat per month it's still quite a hit to most people paying out 500,000bhat initially. I've worked hard and am careful with my money which is why I've been able to move here at a realtivly early age, also keeping my money invested and working for me will allow me to provide for my future.

As far as I understan it re-entry permits are only available with multi entry ED visa's and can't be obtained for single enrtry ED visa's I hope I'm wrong on this if I am please advise?

If you have your ~US$2 million pot silted away already, why on earth is 500k baht such a formidable outlay?

Well I hope you have to pay 500k for a visa I mean after all it's nothing right sure it wouldn't affect you and you'd have a big smile on your face.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Well let's do some basic maths here:

12 months at 100k baht = 1.2 Million Baht

1.2 Million Baht is 2% per annum of 60 Million Baht.

I am no financial advisor, but I reckon I would be advising you to get a new one if you are only getting 2% per annum on your investment.

Even if you had a shitty investment plan and made 4% per annum you would only need 30 million baht to maintain a 100k baht/month lifestyle or approximately 1 Million USD invested.

I would put 5 dollars that you in the "didn't retire early" or major in economics catagory.

Has it occurred to you that someone CLAIMING the ability to retire at 33, with a not unrealistic life expectancy of maybe another 50 years and the not unrealistic mean monthly expenditures in LOS of 100,000 baht will need a sustaining nest egg of MINIMUM 60 million baht... or US$1.8 million. That's not allowing for any interest rates, forex changes, etc..

Even ruling out this lump-sum availability, what is their reluctance to fork out a mere 500k baht for 5 years of Immigration bliss... or even go the whole hog and get the 1 million baht one and live it larger/longer.

Most of these claiming to have retired early have done the math and have it all balanced and worked out or else they wouldn't be (claiming they are) doing it. They are probably going to be a lot smarter than the 2-week millionaires we are all familiar with. I reckon they will be good for 3-and-half weeks, 4 weeks tops.

Well I hope you have to pay 500k for a visa I mean after all it's nothing right sure it wouldn't affect you and you'd have a big smile on your face.

Oh dear. As I have just said in another thread here

You just cannot win with some people. Be it the recent clusterf*ck with UK overseas passport renewal procedures or this 'draconian' play on Thai immigration and visas. In both cases when you come across with sound advice based on the prevailing legalities and practicalities that works for you and most others, there's always a noisome and somewhat dim minority that chose to gurn because no, there is no 'silver bullet' solution to their personally wrought non-crisis. I am not sure if this is something that the so-called 'Nanny State' has inculcated in a whole generation of nouveau worldwide workers shirkers and 30-something millionaires where someone desperately needs to be held accountable and responsible... as long as it is not yourself. Maybe they just need mummy to hold your hand while saying, "There, there my dear."

Sometimes One-Size-Fits-All does NOT fit all. That's life.

USD 15k "investment" out of a USD 2.0 million piggy bank is nothing in the scheme of things, and 5 years hassle free visa's (THB 270/day - less than minimum wage in Thailand)

lets put another perspective on this, if you invested your USD 2.0 million in a crappy 2.5% p.a. saving account, (which you wouldnt) if my off the top of my head rough calculation is correct you would have recovered your initial out lay of USD 15k in a little over 3 months, so all one has took is a "knock" of 3 months on your interest to give you 5 years on your visa, seems very viable to me, provided someone has the USD 2.0 million piggy bank of course

I am sure someone will check my numbers and correct me if I am wrong thumbsup.gif

For me personally, if I had to, which I dont at the moment, I would go for the THB 500k without hesitation it I wanted to stay in Thailand and that was the only option and it wouldnt affect me, and I am still working, and your retired, so not a problem for me, but seems to be a problem for you... but I guess we have different defintions of what retired comfortably means ?

• Like 1

The one thing common to all these new visa rules threads is someone saying ' why do you think u should be allowed to stay in Thailand when thousands of poor third worlders can't go live in UK/US/Canada/EU/Oz. The simple difference is we don't want or expect anything. We are happy to pay our way. Be it for food, accom, entertainment or medical. We pay VAT on purchases and bring cash into the economy from overseas. Okay many of us aren't 50 but we spend money here and often support Thais. To disinfranchise thousands of 'wealthy' expats.is madness. This is exactly the demographic most countries are trying to attract.

• Like 1

The one thing common to all these new visa rules threads is someone saying ' why do you think u should be allowed to stay in Thailand when thousands of poor third worlders can't go live in UK/US/Canada/EU/Oz. The simple difference is we don't want or expect anything. We are happy to pay our way. Be it for food, accom, entertainment or medical. We pay VAT on purchases and bring cash into the economy from overseas. Okay many of us aren't 50 but we spend money here and often support Thais. To disinfranchise thousands of 'wealthy' expats.is madness. This is exactly the demographic most countries are trying to attract.

So poor immigrants expect what in those countries? You didn't identify a difference between those people and yourself. Generally they do the crappy jobs the locals won't and many seem to posses an entrepreneurial spirit that creates jobs for other citizens, which leads to more employment and more taxes paid.

Guess which people doing which jobs finds it easier to get a WP and work here?

OB

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 2

This is exactly the demographic most countries are trying to attract.

such as ?

To disinfranchise thousands of 'wealthy' expats

On suspects the "wealthy" expats your refer to wouldnt qualify for most countries under "investments" or business start up's

and they are not being disinfranchised either.

Edited by Soutpeel

Think of it as being a tax free haven in Thailand.

USD 15k "investment" out of a USD 2.0 million piggy bank is nothing in the scheme of things, and 5 years hassle free visa's (THB 270/day - less than minimum wage in Thailand)

lets put another perspective on this, if you invested your USD 2.0 million in a crappy 2.5% p.a. saving account, (which you wouldnt) if my off the top of my head rough calculation is correct you would have recovered your initial out lay of USD 15k in a little over 3 months, so all one has took is a "knock" of 3 months on your interest to give you 5 years on your visa, seems very viable to me, provided someone has the USD 2.0 million piggy bank of course

I am sure someone will check my numbers and correct me if I am wrong thumbsup.gif

I've got nowhere near $2 mill and never intimated that I have, that was a figure the guy who previously quoted my post pulled out of thin air.

For me personally, if I had to, which I dont at the moment, I would go for the THB 500k without hesitation it I wanted to stay in Thailand and that was the only option and it wouldnt affect me, and I am still working, and your retired, so not a problem for me, but seems to be a problem for you... but I guess we have different defintions of what retired comfortably means ?

Retired "comfortably" means, I am picking up 600 quid a month rental on my poxy two up two down in some place like Donnie.

Perhaps Mr cant afford 8 k per month, should tx his money to Thailand and lock it into a LTF product, the tax savings will more than pay for his 8k per month outlay, which lets be honest is a cleaner/maids salary.

Gotta love TV, perhaps TVs very own Warren Buffet, Naam could guide this poor rudderless finacial whiz kid.

I've got nowhere near $2 mill and never intimated that I have, that was a figure the guy who previously quoted my post pulled out of thin air.

So you must have near USD 1.0 million then ?... its still only about 6 months "ROI" on the 500k visa ? so still very doable

OP, why not start off with an EDvisa and go from there? No one knows right now if the clamp down on tourist visas is here to stay.

It is all good for people to suggest the 500k baht elite card, but in a country as politically volatile as Thailand I can see why people who can easily afford this would even be wary of purchasing one.

• Like 1

Those people writing here in TV that they have millions and can retire when they are 25-35 years. They are the same people I see in the street corners 3 times a day eating noodle soup for 30 baht. And living in a small room without aircon.

• Like 2

Those people writing here in TV that they have millions and can retire when they are 25-35 years. They are the same people I see in the street corners 3 times a day eating noodle soup for 30 baht. And living in a small room without aircon.

Now now. I do have millions (ie more than one million) and can retire. However, I do still eat in street corners but in Suk, it costs at least 40 baht. And I do have the aircon on every night (though I set the alarm for 4 am for the gf to wake up and switch the a/c off).

• Like 1

I didn't pull the numbers out of thin air or my arse. My quick and dirty arithmetic is based on what YOU stated in an earlier post as follows:

I'm in a very similar position I'm 34 and draw a similar income from the UK which I spend in Thailand though I'm not rich I consider 100,000bhat a month in Thailand allows me to lead a life that I'm comfortable with. I've considered and am still considering the elite card but it would mean realocating funds which aside from being a pain in the ass would efectivly be throwing 500,000bhat down the drain and lets be honest no one really want's to lay out that much for zero return.

You are 34 so barring accidents, engaging in risky sports or undisclosed hereditary medical factors, you are good for another 50 years.

You reckon 100k baht per month would be adequate.

So, using YOUR numbers, 50 (years) x 12 (months) x 100,000 (baht) = 60,000,000 baht.

Or about US$1.8 million (sorry I rounded up in my earlier post... that 200 grand could be critical).

Are you still with me? Good.

Now when I meant 'silted away', I didn't necessarily mean that you have that lump-sum right here and right now. Otherwise, you wouldn't be debating if a 500k baht hit is going to mean more nights at home eating TV dinners (or the Thai equivalent). Or considering the ED visa.

Maybe the word 'retired' that's being increasingly bandied about here by younger and younger people isn't the same 'retirement' that us old buggers are familiar with. The Oxford English Dictionary definition of retired. For example, Mr Henderson retired from being my Primary School headmaster after almost 35 years teaching. What did Mr (and Mrs) Henderson do when he retired? He did a lot of fishing and gardening and not much else. They already owned a nice big house with a lovely garden and a greenhouse. They bought a new luxury car roughly every two years although they hardly drove much. They took one long summer holiday each year, mostly in Europe but once each to Australia (visiting the children as grandparents do) and America (for the experience). He donated to the Church (became a deacon or something) and was founding Chairman of the local branch of the Royal British Legion. But above all this, he did a lot of fishing and gardening and not much else. He was RETIRED.

What I have seen of these new-age retirees is they all need a fast and reliable Internet connection. It's probably the highest priority item on the things needed to survive in LOS. Why? Is it because they don't like fishing or gardening and just burn endless hours looking at stuff, doing emails and participating in forums? I think they are probably still working.

Just because you are not doing the 9-5 you used to be doing but are buying and selling stuff or playing the market or blogging or freelance writing or doing coding jobs or programming or designing websites, it does not mean by any stretch of the imagination that you are retired. In the Mr Henderson definition of retired that is... doing passive things, purely for your pleasure and not much else.

So, based on my arithmetic, Mr. Henderson's story and the fact that you have to really consider the expense of the Elite 'lite' card, are you really retired?