Tough traffic law enforcement in Thailand

webfact

The campaign aims to tackle these violators so that traffic accidents can be reduced.

Oh give me a break...traffic accidents that occur right at city intersections are few because the traffic is already moving very slowly or at a stop at these jammed up intersections....and I'm know because I'm one of those people in a vehicle helping to jam things up. The traffic police need to be out on the roads where the serious violations and accidents occur. I expect intersections offer more shade and more ticket/donation volume than the open road for the BIB. Plus it's easier to ambush and stop a driver right at an intersection.

ticket/DONATION volume ( AKA TEA MONEY ) will JUMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmm, no mention of traffic in the wrong lane at traffic lights either. It seems that lane markings for straight ahead, left turn or right turn only, mean nothing to the Thais. "Oh! but the queue in this lane is the shortest so I'll go there. I know I want to turn the other way but I can cut across, it's ok!"

• Like 1

Will lining up behind the white line at traffic lights also apply to motorbikes. - the worst offenders!

It annoys me when I am in "pole position" at the lights, only to have up to a dozen motorbikes come in front of me, and either go very slowly away when the lights change to green or worse and frequently, STALL!

Hopefully with the attention being given to the 5 Joms, those that are apprehended will be meaningfully fined (1000baht+) and not just given a slap on the wrist or relieved of 100baht!

By rule of law; EACH and EVERY motorbike has the right to take up ONE WHOLE CAR SPACE. Also, think about how much longer the que would be if bikes didn't snake between cars to the front. I would say about at least 5-10 times longer, as there appear to be more motorbikes on the road than cars.

Be careful what you wish for, if the law was followed by motorbikes traffic would be much, much, much, much worse that it is now.

I have been driving long enough in Thailand to know what I am saying. Never mind what motorbikes are allowed to do by law. They can occupy the space behind me, 5,10, 20 motorbikes can fill that space -but behind the front car, and not in front, when they are over the white line and effectively jumping the red light!

That might be convenient for you when you are first to the light, otherwise; count the motorbikes that get to the front by the time the light turns green; what you are proposing will cause each one of those motorbikes you counted to take up AN ENTIRE CAR SPACE behind the white line (by law and safety, perhaps 2-3 bikes can fit in one space but no more than that.

I don't care how long you have been driving in Thailand or what you think you know you are saying; if cars and motorbikes follow the laws to the "T" regarding "snaking" and "lining up" you can plan on adding 2-3 extra hours to ANY trip; long or short haul.

There is reason to the chaos here and when motorbikes break the law "safely" traffic flows much better. It is a fact.

this is a real revenue earner

once the powers that be realise the returns they will up the ante

look in Australia

there are so many regulations that the states have become hooked on this revenue

so watch this space as 5 rules today will be 50 tomorrow

Priority's. How about they tackle the lack of seat belts in rear taxi seats. They are there just they hide the connectors below the rear seat so you cannot use them. Why oh why?

Compulsory seatbelts in all taxi's then we can tackle the lane changers???

Will lining up behind the white line at traffic lights also apply to motorbikes. - the worst offenders!

It annoys me when I am in "pole position" at the lights, only to have up to a dozen motorbikes come in front of me, and either go very slowly away when the lights change to green or worse and frequently, STALL!

Hopefully with the attention being given to the 5 Joms, those that are apprehended will be meaningfully fined (1000baht+) and not just given a slap on the wrist or relieved of 100baht!

By rule of law; EACH and EVERY motorbike has the right to take up ONE WHOLE CAR SPACE. Also, think about how much longer the que would be if bikes didn't snake between cars to the front. I would say about at least 5-10 times longer, as there appear to be more motorbikes on the road than cars.

Be careful what you wish for, if the law was followed by motorbikes traffic would be much, much, much, much worse that it is now.

Rule of Law? In Thailand? cheesy.gif

and not a single word about CRASH HELMETS ...... dont get me started ......whistling.gif

I don't care about motorcyclists not wearing crash helmets, they are not doing any harm to other road users, unlike driving without a licence, if they were capable drivers, they would have one, and of course underage motorcyclists.

dont for 1 second think that im gonna park my bike in amongst the retard car drivers while waiting 15 minutes for the car at the front to-

A. recognise that the red light has become green,

B. translated that thought into a physical action, like pushing on the throttle,

C. remembered what to do with the controls cos it was 5 minutes since the last time they drove and they've forgotten now, were too busy looking at the somchai show on their phone,

D. then start swerving from lane to lane trying to get 1 car ahead.

nope, ill be at the front, ahead of the morons so i can get to the front of the next red light and ahead of the morons up there too.

• Like 1

dont for 1 second think that im gonna park my bike in amongst the retard car drivers while waiting 15 minutes for the car at the front to-

B. translated that thought into a physical action, like pushing on the throttle,

C. remembered what to do with the controls cos it was 5 minutes since the last time they drove and they've forgotten now, were too busy looking at the somchai show on their phone,

nope, ill be at the front, ahead of the morons so i can get to the front of the next red light and ahead of the morons up there too.

Riding Bangkok 101

Would like to hear you comment like that whilst squeezed under my back wheelssmile.png

A video was going around about a guy parking in a handicap spot. Another guy wanted him to park elsewhere so that the reserved space can be available for handicaps. Soon enough, parking attendants and building staff joined in.... guess who they defended.

Youtube video

Nothing to do with the post, but I think we can all guess where this "Tough traffic law enforement" will go.