Visa crackdown: Is this the end of the road for unqualified ESL teachers in Thailand?

Why would anyone with wife and family that have been here ten years as a teacher need to leave? Why would he have tourist visa and do border runs, when he can get a one year visa very easy?

because they dont have a teaching degree and theyre broke

The thread was about the visa crack down.
It's a lot cheaper to stay with a one year visa. Or an extension of stay because he have a family. Than doing border runs.
If he is broke he have to leave even if the visa runs still would be ok.
Nothing in the new visa crackdown will affect him when he have Thai wife and child

Sigh, let me try and explain,
He has no VISA cos he was working illegally as a teacher on tourist/waiver.
The money he earns illegally can't be used for an extension, as he would need to admit to working illegally.
No money in the bank, no income he can report = no extension.
Understand?

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would anyone with wife and family that have been here ten years as a teacher need to leave? Why would he have tourist visa and do border runs, when he can get a one year visa very easy?

It's a lot cheaper to stay with a one year visa. Or an extension of stay because he have a family. Than doing border runs.
Nothing in the new visa crackdown will affect him when he have Thai wife and child

The money he earns illegally can't be used for an extension, as he would need to admit to working illegally.
Understand?

Sorry if this comes across as harsh, but if he hasn't been able to save 800,000 baht in ten years then he needs to take a long look in the mirror because that would only be about 7,000 per month.

And maybe even more harshly:  If he needs to temporarily leave his family for a year or 18 months to go home and get that 800,000 Baht together, then he should do it today.  A wife and child are serious responsibilities, and he needs to meet the requirements to support them.

Get real guys, most unqualified teachers in Thailand would need about 5+ years to save $25,000 in their home country, that's assuming they could get more than minimum wage.
  • Like 2

I did not read through all the post on this thread so if this has already been brought up I apologize.. Why is it that an English teacher can get a work permit based on a 30K baht per month salary when all other work permits issued to an US or UK citizens require a minimal salary of 50k baht? I believe salaries for other countries are lower.. It is a subject for a good many jokes such as US citizens eat more or UK citizens drink more hence require the higher salaries ect.. But I guess the Thais figure if you are an English teacher you don't over eat or even drink much hence can get by on a lower salary.. Is this true? Or are the lower salary requirements in place to discourage the qualified teachers knowing there are plenty of  unqualified teachers willing to work for the offered 25 to 30K per month... Hmmmm

Edited by montereyjp

And maybe even more harshly:  If he needs to temporarily leave his family for a year or 18 months to go home and get that 800,000 Baht together, then he should do it today.  A wife and child are serious responsibilities, and he needs to meet the requirements to support them.

Get real guys, most unqualified teachers in Thailand would need about 5+ years to save $25,000 in their home country, that's assuming they could get more than minimum wage.

5+ years?  Not if he's serious about it.

This is how I would see it if I were in his shoes:

1. Taking care of my wife and child is my first and only priority.

2. I need to save 800,000 Baht as quickly as possible.

I would go back to my home country and try to make some sort of arrangement to live with either family or good friends.  If that weren't possible for some reason, I would go to the state (I'm from the US) with the best job opportunities.  The first thing I would do is get two full time jobs immediately.  Yeah, that's a lot of hours (80+), but I would remember what's important.  And if I couldn't find those two jobs in one city, I would get online and find jobs in another city.  I would live in the cheapest accommodation I could find, get my food from soup kitchens and pantries,  get my clothes from the donation bins and I wouldn't spend a dime unless it were absolutely necessary. 

Someone mentioned he's not skilled, but assuming he's able-bodied it wouldn't be too difficult to find jobs paying $10 per hour in a warehouse or factory.  Two full time jobs paying $10/hr is $41,600 /year.  Subtracting for expenses and income tax (and barring some unforeseen calamity), he could save 800,000 Baht in  about 18 months.

Of course it wouldn't be easy, but It's possible if he really wants it.

• Like 1

5+ years?  Not if he's serious about it.

This is how I would see it if I were in his shoes:

1. Taking care of my wife and child is my first and only priority.
2. I need to save 800,000 Baht as quickly as possible.

I would go back to my home country and try to make some sort of arrangement to live with either family or good friends.  If that weren't possible for some reason, I would go to the state (I'm from the US) with the best job opportunities.  The first thing I would do is get two full time jobs immediately.  Yeah, that's a lot of hours (80+), but I would remember what's important.  And if I couldn't find those two jobs in one city, I would get online and find jobs in another city.  I would live in the cheapest accommodation I could find, get my food from soup kitchens and pantries,  get my clothes from the donation bins and I wouldn't spend a dime unless it were absolutely necessary. 

Someone mentioned he's not skilled, but assuming he's able-bodied it wouldn't be too difficult to find jobs paying $10 per hour in a warehouse or factory.  Two full time jobs paying $10/hr is $41,600 /year.  Subtracting for expenses and income tax (and barring some unforeseen calamity), he could save 800,000 Baht in  about 18 months.

Of course it wouldn't be easy, but It's possible if he really wants it.

And yet before he was looking after his family just fine!

Not all affected teachers are doing visa runs. It actually is starting to affect teachers that have been legal (work permit and visa) for many years but now are not due to unrealistic regulations from krusapha.

So all of you saying go home. Pull ya necks in and think for a bit. This crack down is actually affecting a lot more than the intended back to back visa runners even people working 28/28 rotation have been refused entry at the airport!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app Edited by casualbiker

If he is married he needs half that amount.

I did not read through all the post on this thread so if this has already been brought up I apologize.. Why is it that an English teacher can get a work permit based on a 30K baht per month salary when all other work permits issued to an US or UK citizens require a minimal salary of 50k baht? I believe salaries for other countries are lower.. It is a subject for a good many jokes such as US citizens eat more or UK citizens drink more hence require the higher salaries ect.. But I guess the Thais figure if you are an English teacher you don't over eat or even drink much hence can get by on a lower salary.. Is this true? Or are the lower salary requirements in place to discourage the qualified teachers knowing there are plenty of  unqualified teachers willing to work for the offered 25 to 30K per month... Hmmmm

Teaching as in TEFL is outside the usual regulations. You aren't covered by the workplace laws, don't get redundancy pay-outs,  free healthcare is not obligatory and you don't qualify for paid holidays or sick leave ....all of this is at the discretion of the people you work for.

Teaching as in TEFL is outside the usual regulations. You aren't covered by the workplace laws, don't get redundancy pay-outs,  free healthcare is not obligatory and you don't qualify for paid holidays or sick leave ....all of this is at the discretion of the people you work for.

And even with all that we don't get a break on the Krusapha (teachers council) rules which state we need a BA'ed before we can get a teachers license and visa and work permit to teach conversation English (TEFL)

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Well if this is the case it seems they should be paying teachers more.. not less.. to cover the services that you stated are not covered.. I worked as an inside salesperson for a firm in Bkk which came with a work permit with a starting salary of 60k per month and I was eventually given a blue government card. I believe I was ask to pick a government hospital to be used along with the card but I never actually had to use the health services.. I had about 5% per month taken from my salary for said government services as you stated.. So if I try and follow your logic 5% of the mandatory 50K salary is enough to cover the government services but 30K is not??? This appears to be based on Thai logic which never makes much sense to me if any at all... 

Well if this is the case it seems they should be paying teachers more.. not less.. to cover the services that you stated are not covered.. I worked as an inside salesperson for a firm in Bkk which came with a work permit with a starting salary of 60k per month and I was eventually given a blue government card. I believe I was ask to pick a government hospital to be used along with the card but I never actually had to use the health services.. I had about 5% per month taken from my salary for said government services as you stated.. So if I try and follow your logic 5% of the mandatory 50K salary is enough to cover the government services but 30K is not??? This appears to be based on Thai logic which never makes much sense to me if any at all... 

Some schools will give you sick days. Paid holiday and insurance but it's down to the contract not statutory. Some will pay just for hours worked ie if there is a bank holiday / Buddha day you don't get paid. If the school is on term break. You don't get paid. Some will pay all visa and work permit costs, some will pay a proportion. Some pay nothing.

I always love when people say Thais could teach English. There are certainly fluent english speakers here, but they can command a much higher salary doing almost anything else than teaching. Having taught a number of Teacher Training camps, the 'fluency' of Thai English teachers is a major factor in Thai students scoring so low on competency tests. Also there are more than a few ESL certificates that are rigourous in their training and include observed classroom instruction and have a internationally standardized grading system. Why wouldn't these people be qualifed to teach? They would be in other countries.

This is a very good point.

The Thais who can really speak English well are all in the private sector, they certainly don't waste their time earning a pittance (less than 10k THB a month in some cases) teaching in a school in Thailand.

Fluent or very competent Thai English speakers are owners of big businesses, company directors, senior managers, or work in travel or tourism.

They don't teach because it simply does not pay enough.

there are a few, just they are very senior or hods and ride the train to work everyday

they all seem to catch the same one ???

its very strange,

I wonder where does the gravy train go to?

Understand?
Sigh, He don't need any money in bank or salary to get a non O visa based on a thai wife/child. It's a 12 month visa, but you can stay about 15 months. It will also be cheaper than tourist visas. And he will do less border runs. He can also get a 60 day extension when he have wife/child.
He can't even get the extension you talk about unless he first get the non O visa.
Anyone living over 10 years in Thailand like he was, and do it with tourist visa and border runs!! Must be really "stupid" when he have thai family. I have never seen a person doing that Edited by larsjohnsson

I for one am glad that unqualified teachers will be unable to teach.

This will   1. force the schools to do what they should have been doing all along and that is to ensure the teachers obtain a working Visa. This will definitely mean more work for the school administrators who have been extremely remiss in this regard to date. 

2. raise salaries for qualified teachers. 

3. remove some of the driftwood who like to call themselves teachers. For example I have met teachers who confided in me that they could forge all the documents they needed and taught everything from kindergarten to University during the same period of time. They even had the nerve to ask me what they should teach. 

4. Raise demand for qualified teachers.

The writer believes that being white and speaking English is enough to qualify you as an English teacher. On this basis a janitor from North America could do the job. No wonder so few Thais can speak English.

• Like 1

A good self respecting teacher from North America would never  work for $1000.00/month (30,000THB/month). Teachers in Canada and the USA start at least around $2500/month with full benefits and work up to $ 70,000/month.  They get an excellent pension. I know a principle who made over $100,000.00 / year and retired with a pension of $3100.00/month at age 57. You are a major chump if you degrade yourself to 30,000 THB/month.  Not even a security guard gets paid this low in North America. What are you doing to the teaching profession?

This will   1. force the schools to do what they should have been doing all along and that is to ensure the teachers obtain a working Visa. This will definitely mean more work for the school administrators who have been extremely remiss in this regard to date. 

3. remove some of the driftwood who like to call themselves teachers. For example I have met teachers who confided in me that they could forge all the documents they needed and taught everything from kindergarten to University during the same period of time. They even had the nerve to ask me what they should teach. 

The writer believes that being white and speaking English is enough to qualify you as an English teacher. On this basis a janitor from North America could do the job. No wonder so few Thais can speak English.

and where will the poor rural schools get the money? they wont and the children will suffers the thai english teachers are far worse than the worst farang.

• Like 1

A good self respecting teacher from North America would never  work for $1000.00/month (30,000THB/month). Teachers in Canada and the USA start at least around $2500/month with full benefits and work up to $ 70,000/month.  They get an excellent pension. I know a principle who made over $100,000.00 / year and retired with a pension of $3100.00/month at age 57. You are a major chump if you degrade yourself to 30,000 THB/month.  Not even a security guard gets paid this low in North America. What are you doing to the teaching profession?

you seem more concerned about your profession than you do about the thai children

• Like 1

You seem to think that happiness in life is all about money. That's really sad.

I've taught in both the US and Thailand. My salary is a lot more than 30K Baht/month and I don't teach English, but I did make over twice as much in the US. Yet I am much, much happier teaching here in Bangkok. I'm not saying that this will be true for everyone, but it is for me and many like me. You said that "You are a major chump if you degrade yourself to 30,000 THB/month"  In my opinion, you are the chump for having such a shallow view on life. Are you here just for the money? Do you do something that is much more lucrative here than in your home country?

Edited by FreedomDude
  • Like 1

1. Fine. I agree everyone working should have a working visa.

2. Not sure what you consider "qualified", but i'll guess a degree in education or a teaching license from a western country. If that's your standard, 90% of the foreign teachers in Thailand will be gone. Schools that previously had foreign teachers will NOT be able to offer salaries high enough to attract "qualified" (under this definition) teacher from the west. Teachers at my school are already paid 6 TIMES MORE than the Thai teachers.

3. They do need to improve their checks on forgeries, fake degrees, etc. Agreed

4. Yeah, and that demand will not be filled because they can't raise the salaries enough to attract what they need.

I think schools should be allowed to hire whomever they want to teach whatever they want. It shouldn't be the governments job to screen them. It should be the school's job to screen them as much as they want. Perhaps the govt should be involved in checking criminal backgrounds for safety reasons. But beyond that, make it the schools responsibility.

• Like 2

OP: please define "unqualified". The highest paid foreign English teacher at my school has a TOEIC score of 540. Worthy of a raise and a free house on the school premises.

Some schools never bother with anything. Be that a B-Visa, a WP or change of status at Immigration. Nor do they pass on who's working illegally to the TCT or their reginal eductaion office.

Okay, as a guest in this country, I grant them the right to make the rules. But they bloody well should apply them to all.

• Fake degrees - some are quite ridiculous.
  • NES "with a degree in English" from a certain African country, hundreds having the same degree certificate (as witnessed personally)
  • Folks who cannot even engage in small talk due to vocabulary issues etc. One such "teacher" couldn't understand an American and vice versa, the American couldn't understand him.

IF they are serious about improvements, I suggest they make "English teachers" spend an hour talking and reading with some NES at the TCT. And the degree holders won't have an problem writing an essay related to their degree? whistling.gif

So native speakers will be made to leave. Good bye proper English, hello broken English! coffee1.gif

Understand?

I think the name 'Lucie' and I had to leave my husband behind for now, too, as the UK also recently changed some rules about visas....  suggest he is a she and her husband can't go to the UK with her because of the new  financial requirements for the UK visa.

Maybe I'm wrong but perhaps Lucie will confirm this if that hasn't happened already.

Do you see what you've done there in your posts? You've told us all how well qualified you are and how much money you expect before you'll teach and pay rates in the US and Canada but more importantly you've shown your lack of common sense, powers of understanding and reasoning.

Firstly this is Thailand not the USA or UK or Australia or mainland Europe or the Middle East. If everyone got paid based on US rates the cost of living here would be higher and I wouldn't be able to live here. The last time I checked the minimum wage in the UK at the then exchange rate was higher than the US but then the cost of many everyday things was lower than the UK, vehicle fuels being a fairly obvious one. Do you go into hotels in the US and demand they give you a room at the same price you pay in Thailand?

You're right that if everyone refused to work for low wages they would rise but how do you get everyone to do that. Besides if you're just helping with pronunciation and basic English then you're not really a teacher so you couldn't expect the same pay.

This is the problem I've found over the years in my work in the UK with those with degrees from various countries and in life in general. Many of them appear to have lots of knowledge but it doesn't seem to translate into logical everyday thought.

• Like 1

A pretty facile post here that says more about the poster's lack of knowledge of Thailand and TEFL than anything else..........or even costs of living.

OP: please define "unqualified". The highest paid foreign English teacher at my school has a TOEIC score of 540. Worthy of a raise and a free house on the school premises.

Some schools never bother with anything. Be that a B-Visa, a WP or change of status at Immigration. Nor do they pass on who's working illegally to the TCT or their reginal eductaion office.

Okay, as a guest in this country, I grant them the right to make the rules. But they bloody well should apply them to all.

• Fake degrees - some are quite ridiculous.
  • NES "with a degree in English" from a certain African country, hundreds having the same degree certificate (as witnessed personally)
  • Folks who cannot even engage in small talk due to vocabulary issues etc. One such "teacher" couldn't understand an American and vice versa, the American couldn't understand him.

IF they are serious about improvements, I suggest they make "English teachers" spend an hour talking and reading with some NES at the TCT. And the degree holders won't have an problem writing an essay related to their degree? whistling.gif

So native speakers will be made to leave. Good bye proper English, hello broken English! coffee1.gif

Rule one of how to spot someone who knows nothing about the English language........ They use the expression "proper English"

• Like 1

A pretty facile post here that says more about the poster's lack of knowledge of Thailand and TEFL than anything else..........or even costs of living.

Or math...What teacher in North America has ever made $840,000 a year? ($70,000 a month x 12)

I agree. The teachers working for 1000 dollars a month are perpetuating an almost slave wage as I see it. 9 to 5 for 1000 per month?! For me, the statement you are making here is "I don't value my life and time (or at least you think it is only worth 1000 dollars a month). If people stop taking these jobs the pay must go up by simple law of supply vs demand. If you must work one of these jobs, you should be doing nothing but searching for a higher paying job when actually working, as the remuneration dictates this. 

Edited by isawasnake

I agree. The teachers working for 1000 dollars a month are perpetuating an almost slave wage as I see it. 9 to 5 for 1000 per month?! For me, the statement you are making here is "I don't value my life and time (or at least you think it is only worth 1000 dollars a month). If people stop taking these jobs the pay must go up by simple law of supply vs demand. If you must work one of these jobs, you should be doing nothing but searching for a higher paying job when actually working, as the remuneration dictates this. 

This is a ridiculous post in the sense of "I don't value my life".

The job and wages for TEFL teachers is what it is. Most schools will pay 35k starting wage ($1,200)
With that you can have a reasonable life. At 40k a decent one. At 45k a good one
It is what it is! If you can't or won't live on it DON'T be a TEFL teacher here in Thailand.
I do not know of many normal schools that pay over 45k for a new teacher, perhaps you do?

Many schools will provide free accommodation worth 3-5k per month. Some will pay end of year bonus or flights home (30-40k). Some will pay for ALL visa and work permit fee's (8-15k). Some do all of the above at the higher wages.. some do none of the above and yes THEY are the schools to avoid!

If people stop taking these jobs the pay must go up by simple law of supply vs demand.

Not true, and since you live in Thailand you should know that the laws of economics and physics that are applicable all over the world do not apply in Thailand.

If there are no teachers willing to work for 30,000 baht/month, then the position will stay vacant and the students will be without a teacher.

However, there are many, degree-qualified teachers from the Philippines who will be very happy to work for 30,000 baht/month (it's probably a pay-rise over their current salary!).

IMHO, the writing is on the wall - the future of NES 'white' teachers in Thailand is very uncertain, unless they hold a B.Ed+ and work for 'real' international schools. 

The role of TEFL teacher or subject (eg Maths, Science, Music, PE etc) teacher in government schools and language centres will be filled by Filipino/a candidates because their employers either do not have the funds or are unwilling to pay a decent salary for a qualified NES teacher.

Edited by simon43