Visa crackdown: Is this the end of the road for unqualified ESL teachers in Thailand?

Even for those who want to work legally with a work permit, these restrictions could marry them to one company or school.

If they want to change jobs or companies, they have to leave the country immediately.  They then will not have the proper paperwork ready for their next job, and may not be able to get back into the country because they don't have a proper visa and aren't tourists.

I can see teachers becoming semi-slaves to their employers because they can't easily change jobs.  These employers then could withhold pay or be otherwise abusive because they know their teachers will be out of the country without their job.

• Like 2

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="GOLDBUGGY" post="8112208" timestamp="1405569340"]

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>
 [quote name="oldsailor35" post="8112111" timestamp="1405568296"]

[quote name="Rorri" post="8111810" timestamp="1405565187"]

[quote name="smotherb" post="8111758" timestamp="1405564555"]

[quote name="ClutchClark" post="8111248" timestamp="1405556628"]

They are going to quit teaching ESL.

The future looks to be MSL (Mandarin).[/quote]
I doubt Thai schools will stop teaching English anytime soon. The business language of ASEAN, and the world, is currently English. There are millions of 'qualified' Filipino English teachers who would love to fill Thailand's need for ESL teachers. By qualified, I mean degreed, many with education degrees in teaching English.

Of course, then you have the accreditation of the degree granting institution to question--but that question exists with the many dubiously 'degreed' falang ESL teachers too.

In the future, if and when the US drops drastically in global economic strength--like the Brits have already done--Mandarin may indeed take over as the lingua franca of business, in Asia at least.  Mandarin is already taught in most Thai schools.

[/quote]
"Mandarin is already taught in most Thai schools." really, wow, this is news to me, and I'm sure news to the many Isaan schools I've been to.
 [/quote]

My partner from Suratthani  had to go to uni in Bangkok to get her degree in Mandarin, and now we are being told that it is being taught in schools, goodness me!  how the Thai education has improved in recent years.

[/quote]

Mandarin Chinese is the most widely spoken language in the world! But it will never replace English as the Business Language anymore then it would replace French, as the Language of Love. Forget About It!

As a Thai Student it would be good to learn Mandarin as there is a huge Chinese presents in Thailand. But also you can expect a lot of Trade with China in the future and thus this language would be a huge benefit to have. But business is still spoken in English and even in China. So having English to would be a huge benefit.     
   [/quote]

Mandarin is no it the most " widely spoken". It is spoken in various dialects by the largest number of people as a first language. If you compare this to the numbers and demographics of English it pales into insignificance.

If there is a great shortage of native speaker TEFL instructors then the void will be filled by ASEAN. There are many, many teachers in Philippines or Myanmar who have excellent English language skills and who find the wage scale in Thailand quite adequate. 

You are joking right? Obviously you have never worked with them and had to listen to their 'student remember to eat your milk' instructions and 'it is good to eat apple' etc can't even get their simple plurals correct¡
  • Like 2

I'm surprised that a "Yank" like you seems to think you know more about a British qualification than a British post-graduate and teacher like me.

Sorry but,
If you don't have the right to work as a teacher in your own country, you aren't really a qualified teacher.
As you currently hold no British teaching qualifications, why would your opinion be more valid than mine?

Back to the OP
I do believe it is the end of the road for unqualified teachers in Thailand, they may twist and turn, but in the end they will be out.
The MoE will soon catch on to the 'i' in PGCEi.

This is horseshit.
in the US and Canada you can teach non-English speakers ESL in community colleges, churches, language schools, and
many others with a TEFL. Why should it be different here? You do NOT need a BEd to teach ESL.
  • Like 1

It is nothing or little to do with the influence of the US........ English is the lingual franca for all things technical....you can't use mandarin effectively on a keyboard or write software......to be clear in science you need English which is a flexible and organic language

In short, it is a far better and more flexible tool Edited by wilcopops
  • Like 1

I teach and have taught for 3 decades.  I have the necessary degrees, certificates and experience.  I work with many teachers who don't have the required documentation and many of them are excellent teachers.  It will be a shame if these wonderful teachers are shown the door by the Thai government.  I understand the current crackdown but the reality is that Thailand will be hurt in both the long run and short run by excluding these folks.

From experience I can assure you it will all work itself out some how, some way...but it will take a year or so  ( that is if they try to strictly enforce the rules and do it by the book...so to speak )

Of course not without a lot of frustrations for everyone involved.

But in the end people will be accommodated

The Visa agent that I use  tells me he is flooded with phone calls from various learning institutes that employ a lot of Filipina women teachers and they tell him  the funds are available if you can secure them a visa that will allow them to stay in Thailand and work with the school.

Up until recently they have not been concerned with assisting the foreign teachers to obtain a proper Visa and then the work permit and then the 1 year extension.

They were content to let the teachers make the every 2 week visa runs to the border and pay their expenses for that 1 day trip, there and back again....while everyone agreed that the chances of having any problems while working without the correct Visa and or work permit and 1 year extension is basically unheard of...so don't worry...just carry on working.

Now they are (also) being confronted with having to do it by the book.

They have to do their part first to help the teachers to obtain a 90 day visa and then the work permit and then the 1 year extension.

Without the documentation from the school and the signatures of the managers or owners of the schools / business establishments, the teachers can not obtain the proper Visa and or the work permit and or the 1 year extension.

Meantime my Visa agent tells me: "If they want to pay the price for the service ..( not really all that much ......all things considered ) then he can arrange the 90 day Non immigrant "B" Visa and then the work permit and the 1 year extension...all in one and you do not have to leave the country.

That is what he does.......for a price...and there is nothing illegal about it as the immigration officials can over ride or supersede the Embassies concerning immigration issues and issue the 90 day visa inside Thailand...so no need to go to an embassy  with all the paper work in hand and apply for a 90 day Non Immigrant "B" visa...and possibly be turned down for any number of silly and frustrating reasons.

That is what he arranges with the cooperation of the immigration officials

Approximately 3 months ago he invited myself and my wife for a meal together to talk about his business and how he is planning about expanding.

My wife works with a company that his farther worked with 30 years ago so he was asking for a re-introduction to the present owners and managers of the company so he can offer his immigration related services.

While eating, I asked him a very specific question while making him pay attention to the question.

I asked him: "Do the immigration officers that you work with all the time and have known for many years...do they encourage you to bring them the business that you do with them....or do you have to kiss their ass and ask them for their help and plead with them to please help my clients and their immigration issues...like that???

He told me: They tell him to bring more passports...bring on the business ..the more the better...keep on coming with the business.

His business is going to get better while now the companies that do want to retain foreign workers will have to do their part ( first ) to arrange for their foreign employees to be "immigration legal".. with his help and with the help of the immigration officials it can all be accomplished...for a price.

Cheers

Edited by gemguy
  • Like 1

The Thai students in Nakon Nowhere or even Bangkok attending government schools are not the future business leaders or movers and shakers of Thailand. 

It could be argued that putting resource of any kind into teaching English to prospective farm workers, labourers, 7/11 shop assistants and armed forces cannon fodder is basically a waste of time.

Rest assured that the children of the ruling classes and upper middle classes will be receiving appropriate English lessons from fluent speakers at expensive private schools either in Thailand or abroad.  There are at least 20 Thai students enrolled in my former small town high school in New Zealand , paying big fees for a western education - I'm sure they all come from Nakon Nowhere and are the children of farm labourers.

That's just the way the hierarchical system works in Thailand, and the ruling classes (Red/Yellow/Military included) don't want to see that changed any time soon, despite ASEAN.

I think it also could be argued that you are painting with too broad a brush. I know of more than one example of the children from the farmlands who have done additional education and are sought after in today's job market for their technical expertise. Is English a part of that? Somewhat - it did not hurt any. Why not offer every advantage possible to those who are interested? There are still more than enough who will be happy with whatever comes their way.

I get the feeling that many posters here don't really understand why English is taught not just here but all over the world....including China.....
Its not so they can speaks to expoats who can't be bothered or lack the ability to learn Thai

Thailand, like most other countries, NEEDS English and in the end will have to work out how to obtain this commodity Edited by wilcopops

I'm surprised that a "Yank" like you seems to think you know more about a British qualification than a British post-graduate and teacher like me.

Sorry but,
If you don't have the right to work as a teacher in your own country, you aren't really a qualified teacher.
As you currently hold no British teaching qualifications, why would your opinion be more valid than mine?

Back to the OP
I do believe it is the end of the road for unqualified teachers in Thailand, they may twist and turn, but in the end they will be out.

This is horseshit.
in the US and Canada you can teach non-English speakers ESL in community colleges, churches, language schools, and
many others with a TEFL. Why should it be different here? You do NOT need a BEd to teach ESL.

Sorry, we are talking about teaching children in schools, not adults in further education, or weekend/holiday language camps.
Please pay attention. To teach in a high school,
USA schools require degree + state exams
UK schools require degree in education or degree + PGCE.
Europe similar.
  • Like 1

“By his actions you shall know him”.   It is blatantly obvious by their actions that the people in power in Thailand have virtually no interest other than the occasional face saving “lip service” in its population’s development of English language proficiency. 

It’s puzzling because implementing a program would not be that hard to accomplish and the Thai government is more than capable of executing a successful program.  So the question is why don’t they want what they certainly could have, why do they say one thing and do another?

[quote name="thesetat2013" post="8114759" timestamp="1405599342"][quote name="duanebigsby" post="8113925" timestamp="1405588912"][quote name="GoonDizzy" post="8113806" timestamp="1405587549"][quote name="duanebigsby" post="8113732" timestamp="1405586563"][quote name="GoonDizzy" post="8113693" timestamp="1405586175"]The craziest thing is this:

Mr Bloggs from London goes to Uni in the UK. He wants to teach English as a second language. He's not interested in teaching the spoilt Hi-So mob in the Inter schools. Gets himself a First Degree in English Language combined with TESOL. He then goes on to study for a PGCEi. For the layman, it's a post grad designed to teach foreign students English.

Mr Bloggs goes to Singapore. They all want him. Even telling him he didn't need to get the PGCEi. In fact, a degree in Flower Arranging would've done nicely. ''Anyhooz Mr Bloggs, how does 5,000 US Dollars a month sound?'' He goes to HK. Same thing happens. In Europe, he's having interviews for jobs and competing with folk with just accredited TESOLs and DELTAs/CELTAs.

Comes to Thailand. ''Sorry Mr Bloggs. Your degree IN TEACHING ENGLISH TO FOREIGN STUDENTS AND YOUR POST GRAD IN THE SAME SUBJECT IS NOT ENOUGH FOR A TL! You can have a waiver for now, but you're not qualified to teach English to Thai students.  Now go and do a Masters in Ed and we'll see, but you can never change your job. See, you can't go 'in/out' again to cancel a visa in order to get a new one. So, we'll screw with you...because we can.'' To me this means either someone at the MOE has NO IDEA about education or there is something else more sinister going on.

It's hard for those with families here (I'm one), but screw it. Thailand doesn't want us here so go elsewhere. There are other opportunities, so if you haven't got the degree/M.Ed...start now! If Thailand is your only love then hopefully common sense will have prevailed by the time you finish.

If not...Asean opens and places like Singapore will snap you up. Even HK would cream over themselves to have you. It works both ways.[/quote]You don't need a degree in education to get a teaching license.
With a degree in ANY subject you get waivers. Then you do one silly course in Thai ethics and culture, and after you take 4 standardized tests which gives you your license. You have YEARS to do it.[/quote] 
Yup. I'm talkin' bout new teachers. This is from the gov website

In case of applicants teaching experience with less than 1 year, they shall provide a certification letter, issued by an educational institution, and submit it to the TCT for issuing a teaching practice certificate and permitting them to attend the training course.

So, you're hoping that they will allow you to even take the courses you're talking about. You could get the TL after getting teaching experience of one year. Assuming you pass the Thai tests. Many schools have not told their teachers about the regs. A mate of mine (with a wife and child) had his permit refused as his degree wasn't in Education. Yeah, yeah. Maybe he shoulda, coulda looked on the internet, but he'd been teaching here for over a decade with his degree without any issues and thought he was good to go. He's now back in blighty doing a Masters. And from what I've heard (could be nonsense), the waiver scheme will end. The degree in Ed will become the requirement. Who knows? One thing is for sure. Thailand will have the toughest requirements in Asia to obtain a TL.[/quote]I'm teaching at the moment, have been for a while. I'm working with other teachers who are doing the tests and working towards their license. It may change, it may not.
But your info about the BEd is wrong at this time![/quote]Tell your friends good luck. Because the TCT and MOE are no longer offering the Thai Teachers test for foreigners to take. I have been trying to take that test for 6 months and only recently found out they have been cancelled forever. The only way to get that real thai teaching license now is with an education degree

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app[/quote]
The funny thing is that if anyone else can recall last year? They were pushing to get every school to hire native speakers to improve basic english skills for when ASEAN came. They even went as far as having a national english speaking day to be held monthly or weekly for all GOV workers which as i understand failed completely and was never enforced. So much for their ASEAN venture

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Am i being even dimmer than usual or is this article flawed by a fundamental error ?  It is linked to the most recent changes in the Visa rules - aren't they all about stopping Back-to-Back permits to enter Thailand, NOT Tourist Visas obtained at a consulate ?

No, it's to stop foreigners working illegally in Thailand.
One of the big illegals, is school teachers (often unqualified) working on tourist VISAs or waiver on entry.
At the moment anyone spending over 6 months in Thailand in the last 2 years (on tourist or waiver) are likely to be refused entry.

I look at a map of ASEAN countries, and there is Thailand, with ASEAN countries to the north...and south...and west...and east. Thailand and Malaysia might be called the geographic center of ASEAN. That means that for these two countries, in particular, the ability ot communicate effectively in ENGLISH is pretty important.

If Thailand is going to cut back to ONLY "qualified teachers," they may as well drop out of ASEAN, now. Because most of the teachers I've met--and have heard about--who happen to be Thai...can't even hold a conversation. So, if they're REALLY only going to allow only "qualified teachers," they'll also have to fire most of the Thai English teachers, as well.

Or is this the bureaucratic definition of "qualified," where meeting a standard on paper...is really all they are looking for?

(This, in a country where...copying...is given the same high regard as...learning? Where the teachers making sure the students have COMPLETED the lesson...is more important...than being sure the students have LEARNED the lesson? Where they've known that ASEAN was coming for YEARS...for DECADES...yet they've just discovered that SPEAKING GOOD ENGLISH might be pretty important?)

I like Thailand. I want Thailand to be SUCCESSFUL. But I fear ASEAN success...will look like a donut...with a Thailand-shaped hole in the middle.

So, what's the LAST THING Thailand needs...at this moment...on the cusp of ASEAN? SHORT-SIGHTEDNESS!...

Sad, really.

Am i being even dimmer than usual or is this article flawed by a fundamental error ?  It is linked to the most recent changes in the Visa rules - aren't they all about stopping Back-to-Back permits to enter Thailand, NOT Tourist Visas obtained at a consulate ?

The goal is to create a panic that makes everyone head for the border. Just like what happened with Cambodians.

It seems to be working.
  • Like 2

The craziest thing is this:

Mr Bloggs from London goes to Uni in the UK. He wants to teach English as a second language. He's not interested in teaching the spoilt Hi-So mob in the Inter schools. Gets himself a First Degree in English Language combined with TESOL. He then goes on to study for a PGCEi. For the layman, it's a post grad designed to teach foreign students English.

Mr Bloggs goes to Singapore. They all want him. Even telling him he didn't need to get the PGCEi. In fact, a degree in Flower Arranging would've done nicely. ''Anyhooz Mr Bloggs, how does 5,000 US Dollars a month sound?'' He goes to HK. Same thing happens. In Europe, he's having interviews for jobs and competing with folk with just accredited TESOLs and DELTAs/CELTAs.

Comes to Thailand. ''Sorry Mr Bloggs. Your degree IN TEACHING ENGLISH TO FOREIGN STUDENTS AND YOUR POST GRAD IN THE SAME SUBJECT IS NOT ENOUGH FOR A TL! You can have a waiver for now, but you're not qualified to teach English to Thai students.  Now go and do a Masters in Ed and we'll see, but you can never change your job. See, you can't go 'in/out' again to cancel a visa in order to get a new one. So, we'll screw with you...because we can.'' To me this means either someone at the MOE has NO IDEA about education or there is something else more sinister going on.

It's hard for those with families here (I'm one), but screw it. Thailand doesn't want us here so go elsewhere. There are other opportunities, so if you haven't got the degree/M.Ed...start now! If Thailand is your only love then hopefully common sense will have prevailed by the time you finish.

If not...Asean opens and places like Singapore will snap you up. Even HK would cream over themselves to have you. It works both ways.

You don't need a degree in education to get a teaching license.
With a degree in ANY subject you get waivers. Then you do one silly course in Thai ethics and culture, and after you take 4 standardized tests which gives you your license. You have YEARS to do it.

Tests were canceled last year. There have been no tests this year.. there were supposed to be in January. Canceled with no explanation .. keep up!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The craziest thing is this:

Complete BS!
PGCE is nothing to do with foreigners, and nothing to do with teaching English.
It turns any B.Sc. or B.A. into the equivalent of a B.Ed.

And isn't recognised in Thailand by krusapha

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Sorry but,

Back to the OP

This is horseshit.

Sorry, we are talking about teaching children in schools, not adults in further education, or weekend/holiday language camps.
Europe similar.

We are talking about ESL, children, adults, teenagers.
High schools don't typically teach ESL as part of the curriculum. ESL is different from math, science, history etc.
Pay attention? What condescending nonsense.
Your requirements will absolutely ensure Thailand gets further behind other Southeast Asian countries.
  • Like 2

Sorry but,

Back to the OP

This is horseshit.

Europe similar.

You're moving the goal posts - TEFL is by definition applicable to both adults and minors. TEFL teachers work in all areas of education as it is a specialist subject required at all levels

There are plenty of teachers in UK without degrees......in the 60s and 70s...even beyond there were many colleges of education set up to teach "teaching certificate" to those without a degree. After 3 years they would become qualified "certified" teachers - an extra year would turn that into a B.Ed.

Few or even none of these teachers studied TEFL. TEFL is specifically designed for TEACHING ENGLISH AS A FOREIGN LANGUAGE - teachers back in the west are largely trained to teach to native speakers......as are Thai teachers in Thailand. Teaching English as a Foreign Language is another specialised subject.

Originally it was taught as a one year course, but was sometimes taught as a super-intensive one or two month course. I very much doubt if anyone who hadn't recently just passed degree could have eve survived a TEFL course let alone pass one.

Needless to say, nowadays the whole thing has been diluted and infiltrated by a rather flakey element.

• Like 2

No they now include back to back tourist visas.....

In fact, there are plenty of people who are excellent teachers, even without the proper qualifications. I think what the government should do before any of this is make it easier for schools to get a visa for any teacher who they have interviewed and observed a few demo lessons. After all, this issue here from Thailand's POV is not the quality of education, but the illegal workers not paying taxes and breaking the rules.  

Make it easier to get visas for any legitimate worker, THEN enforce the crap out of it.

• Like 1

Last time we heard about cleaning the immigration status of illegal workers, it was about the Cambodian nationals => they went back home but Thais realized they badly needed them => Cambodians came back.

Same story here? No => Thais DON'T NEED English teachers from abroad because millions Thais speak a perfect English and can teach to the children.

It's true. My wife and all her sisters speak excellent English. One is fluent in French as well.

Well that's your "small family group" out 65 million, your argument is a bit weak, maybe you need to focus on what Thailand needs, not only your happy little family.

And maybe some TV posters need to focus on the use of sarcasm and wit in the English language....................

Quite a lot, including those who claim to be qualified teachers need to focus on their spelling and sentence construction as well. I'm appalled by some of the English on here. I'm getting the urge to hand out lines and detention. xsmile.png.pagespeed.ic.CwSpBGGvqN.png

My excuse, if I ever need it is I'm not highly educated.

Edited by kimamey

Stopping back to back or multiple visa exemptions and tourist visas

[quote name="wilcopops" post="8115582" timestamp="1405611588"][quote name="AnotherOneAmerican" post="8115102" timestamp="1405603656"] [quote name="duanebigsby" post="8114918" timestamp="1405601346"] [quote name="AnotherOneAmerican" post="8114215" timestamp="1405592546"] [quote name="simon43" post="8114163" timestamp="1405591905"]I'm surprised that a "Yank" like you seems to think you know more about a British qualification than a British post-graduate and teacher like me.[/quote]
Sorry but,

Back to the OP
 [/quote]
This is horseshit.
 [/quote]
Europe similar.
 [/quote]

You're moving the goal posts - TEFL is by definition applicable to both adults and minors. TEFL teachers work in all areas of education as it is a specialist subject required at all levels

There are plenty of teachers in UK without degrees......in the 60s and 70s...even beyond there were many colleges of education set up to teach "teaching certificate" to those without a degree. After 3 years they would become qualified "certified" teachers - an extra year would turn that into a B.Ed.
Few or even none of these teachers studied TEFL. TEFL is specifically designed for TEACHING ENGLISH AS A FOREIGN LANGUAGE - teachers back in the west are largely trained to teach to native speakers......as are Thai teachers in Thailand. Teaching English as a Foreign Language is another specialised subject.
Originally it was taught as a one year course, but was sometimes taught as a super-intensive one or two month course. I very much doubt if anyone who hadn't recently just passed degree could have eve survived a TEFL course let alone pass one.
Needless to say, nowadays the whole thing has been diluted and infiltrated by a rather flakey element.[/quote]

Teachers in the west are NOT largely trained to speak to native speakers.
Just look at Europe. How many native speakers are there compared to the rest!!!!

A degree from a Pinoy Uni/Low level Thai Uni vs A native English speaker with 3 A Levels (1 in English Lang and one in English Lit at grade A) plus a cert TrinityTESOL/Delta/Cetla.

If you think the first opton is the best, you haven't got a clue. I've thought about this and I think it's down to paperwork. If someone has a degree, it's a safe option. If they have 'grey areas' then all hell could break loose. Sad, but true. It would not relieve Thailand of the muppets 'teaching' in Thailand.  My suggestion is to give temporary TLs to those with CELTA/DELTA/Trinity TESOLs (and/ or excellent A Levels or similar from US/Aussie etc) and give them four years to get a B.Ed.

Have a beast of a grammar exam. Observe those trying to obtain the TL. Get the school or potential teacher to pay for the exams/observations.  Provide the course (B.Ed), charge a small fortune and everyone is happy. The schools keep their good teachers and Thailand saves face by forcing potential teachers into extended study.

Thailand's economy is already heavily tied to China's. Get ready to have more of China's massive debt poured into Thailand. Chinese teachers are here on tourist visas teaching without qualifications, degrees, training or work permits. Thailand will become a financial slave of China if the current trend persists.

Thailand's economy is already heavily tied to China's. Get ready to have more of China's massive debt poured into Thailand. Chinese teachers are here on tourist visas teaching without qualifications, degrees, training or work permits. Thailand will become a financial slave of China if the current trend persists.

so what? america is in the same boat.

So what's the long and short of it all , do you guys think the government when they get one that is...will realise their mistakes they are making when are very few English teachers left.It seems to me there is a lot of crazy things going on Thailand. I've not been there since last October but will be heading back in a couple of months and I must admit I'm not sure what to expect

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand