Visa crackdown: Is this the end of the road for unqualified ESL teachers in Thailand?

Can someone PLEASE say what they mean by "unqualified"?

In Thailand? Legally?

That means no bachelor's degree. If you do not have a bachelors degree PLUS TEFL certification, you are legally speaking, unqualified and cannot get a work visa. 

Actually for those comparing the US and Canada, this is true there as well. They might let a CITIZEN teach English in an unaccredited non-government program without a degree, but there is no way in $%## you would get a work visa in the US or Canada to teach ANYTHING without a master's degree--and even then it would be difficult. PhD's are a different story.

I would imagine most longtime teachers are aware of plenty of teachers teaching in Thailand with work permits, so working legally, but no degree. 

For example:

FAQ's

1. Do I Need a Bachelor's Degree to Teach In Thailand Legally?

There's a LOT of confusion around this issue!

Officially, you need a BA or BSc Degree to obtain a teaching permit in order to teach legally in Thailand. However, there are a few exceptions to this requirement. Here are the 3 main exceptions:

# 1. If you do not have a BA Degree, your employer can apply for a provisional teaching permit, which lasts for two years. The rules for this permit are confusing and different answers can be obtained from a number of officials. This is actually very common in Thailand when asking for official confirmation.

# 2. Your school or employer has a good relationship with the Department of Labour and the Ministry of Education. If they can demonstrate that you are a suitable candidate for the position and they desperately need an English teacher, then a teachers license and work permit will be issued.

# 3. There are countless private and corporate opportunities to teach English where a BA degree is NOT a legal requirement. In this case you may be employed as a 'consultant' and not as a 'teacher.

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is largely down to perception - It seems to me that a lot of posters think that "unqualified" means they aren't "qualified teachers" - yet they don't seem to know what that is either. They are also under the impression that the vast majority of teachers DON"T have degrees or any other qualifications. I think they are judging by their own standards....because they have no degree or any idea what that =entails they can't conceive that so many other people DO have degrees..

I like BB's 3 points....yes, I know of a couple of teachers who have been in Thailand teaching for over a decade and they have no degree, however they are in fact extremely good teachers. I also know of several English teachers (fully qualified secondary) who have been turned down by schools on the grounds that they don't have a degree in anything. I haven't heard of any being taken on recently.

Factories and businesses often employ teachers as "trainers" or "consultants" as it is easier for them to get a work permit that way....however, I have never heard of a"teacher" at a factory/commercial business who didn't have a degree of some sort as the HR dept have always insisted that candidates have this level of education before they are even considered.

If you are not employed as a "teacher" but as a "trainer" then you are subject to the minimum wage stipulated by the DoL which does not apply to teachers of English.

Most companies I have dealt with eve when employing a teacher on short term contract will want to see copies (or even originals) of degree and TEFL cert.

In Thailand? Legally?

That means no bachelor's degree. If you do not have a bachelors degree PLUS TEFL certification, you are legally speaking, unqualified and cannot get a work visa. 

Actually for those comparing the US and Canada, this is true there as well. They might let a CITIZEN teach English in an unaccredited non-government program without a degree, but there is no way in $%## you would get a work visa in the US or Canada to teach ANYTHING without a master's degree--and even then it would be difficult. PhD's are a different story.

I would imagine most longtime teachers are aware of plenty of teachers teaching in Thailand with work permits, so working legally, but no degree. 

For example:

FAQ's

1. Do I Need a Bachelor's Degree to Teach In Thailand Legally?

There's a LOT of confusion around this issue!

Officially, you need a BA or BSc Degree to obtain a teaching permit in order to teach legally in Thailand. However, there are a few exceptions to this requirement. Here are the 3 main exceptions:

# 1. If you do not have a BA Degree, your employer can apply for a provisional teaching permit, which lasts for two years. The rules for this permit are confusing and different answers can be obtained from a number of officials. This is actually very common in Thailand when asking for official confirmation.

# 2. Your school or employer has a good relationship with the Department of Labour and the Ministry of Education. If they can demonstrate that you are a suitable candidate for the position and they desperately need an English teacher, then a teachers license and work permit will be issued.

# 3. There are countless private and corporate opportunities to teach English where a BA degree is NOT a legal requirement. In this case you may be employed as a 'consultant' and not as a 'teacher.

Just out of curiosity, where did you copy that information from?  Please provide a link.  Thanks.

In Thailand? Legally?

Do you think this is what the OP was about?

I think they don'y know......you don't necessarily need to do visa runs if you are employed without a degree.

"The use of back-to-back visas will no longer be permitted.   This is arguably the biggest shake up of visa rules and regulations in decades.

In the coming days and weeks Thaivisa.com will take a look at how different people and sectors are affected by the new crackdown."

• 2 weeks later...

I am glad for this topic.

BUT, I do NOT teach ENGLISH, and have no wish to teach English.

What I want to know more about is how will this affect the foreigners, as well as farang, who just want to study for 6 years at a university, or the Thai language to a high level.

In order to learn Thai to be half way fluent, and I mean half way literally, one does need 5 years.

Fluency is thought to only take place after the 7th year.

So, Mr. Scarf, I really hope you will investigate this question and then report as much as you can!

This information will be very valuable.

There are always so many ELS teachers that are so vocal here that the majority of us farang who just want to study do not get and edge in wordwise!

Thank you.

More info about new visa regs and how it affects REAL students who want to STUDY, and not swim and bar hop.

Tks.

AND, students who ALREADY have a BA!

Philippinos do not speak excellent English, their writing skills are not great either. Acceptable for rural areas not so much for top 500 schools in Thailand imo.

Without doubt someone who has taught for three years and or completed a serious advanced course is capable of teaching ESL.

But its only those without degree that keep scoffing at them as barrier to job entry. SO TIRED OF THIS. PLEASE STOP.

This is 2015, what job does not require a degree? You were too lazy or lacked focus to complete one? Now..you'd still would rather teach illegally than get a degree because inside you know you lack the ability, discipline and life skills.

While arguably English, History, Political Science majors are best (majors requiring lots of reading and writing), all majors should guarantee a cire competence in a number of core areas that are solid building blocks of ESL teaching.

North American accent is prefered world round. North American university system is solid by and large. Consistent. You don't have to hire that Anthropology major from some crap school. Yeah, Communications is a ridiculous degree, but perhaps great for TEFL?

English may be not needed at all schools, I agree. But many of those kids have class 1x a week, what's the harm?

If the industry can rid itself of teachers without degrees and we can see perks like, scaled salaries by year and province, if married 3+ years = PR. Teachers will gain respect. Allow teachers to own their visas and move at will.

The comment about the teachers on the bts was rubbish. We all speak quite different in different situations, to different people. How mind numbing bigoted and stupid of you.

Get rid of any teacher that in any way offends Thai staff or students. Who does not perform school functions, etc...this lot puts a horrible face on teachers. They will never change.

Also, scrutinize the resumes of teachers. I've seen some seriously bs resumes posted on Ajarn and esljobflow or whatever. Complete 'careers' fabricated. They may even be a risk. Edited by Mencken

Philippinos do not speak excellent English, their writing skills are not great either. Acceptable for rural areas not so much for top 500 schools in Thailand imo.

Without doubt someone who has taught for three years and or completed a serious advanced course is cspable of teaching ESL. But its only those without degree that keep scoffing at them as barrier to job entry.

This is 2015, what job does not require a degree? You were to lazy or lack focus to complete one? Now, still would rather yeach illegally than get a degree because inside you know you lack the ability, discipline and life skills.

English may be not needed at all schools, I agree. But many of those kids have class 1x a week, what's the harm?

If the industry can rid itself of teachers without degrees and we can see perks like, scaled salaries by year and province, if married 3+ years = PR. Teachers will gain respect. Allow teachers to own their visas and move at will.

The comment about the teachers on the bts was rubbish. We all speak quite different in different situations, to different people. How mind numbing bigoted and stupid of you.

Get rid of any teacher that in any way offends Thai staff or students. Who does not perform school functions, etc...this lot puts a horrible face on teachers. They will never change.

Also, scrutinize the resumes of teachers. I've seen some seriously bs resumes posted on Ajarn and esljobflow or whatever. Complete 'careers' fabricated. They may even be a risk.

the poor schools would never be able to afford what you propose

Without doubt someone who has taught for three years and or completed a serious advanced course is capable of teaching ESL.

But its only those without degree that keep scoffing at them as barrier to job entry. SO TIRED OF THIS. PLEASE STOP.

This is 2015, what job does not require a degree? You were too lazy or lacked focus to complete one? Now..you'd still would rather teach illegally than get a degree because inside you know you lack the ability, discipline and life skills.

While arguably English, History, Political Science majors are best (majors requiring lots of reading and writing), all majors should guarantee a cire competence in a number of core areas that are solid building blocks of ESL teaching.

North American accent is prefered world round. North American university system is solid by and large. Consistent. You don't have to hire that Anthropology major from some crap school. Yeah, Communications is a ridiculous degree, but perhaps great for TEFL?

Also, scrutinize the resumes of teachers. I've seen some seriously bs resumes posted on Ajarn and esljobflow or whatever. Complete 'careers' fabricated. They may even be a risk.

I think you don't mean to use scoffing this way, if you are giving us and example of this word for an ESL classroom.  Perhaps you mean something like "look askance at", or many other choices.  

Without doubt someone who has taught for three years and or completed a serious advanced course is cspable of teaching ESL. But its only those without degree that keep scoffing at them as barrier to job entry.

This is 2015, what job does not require a degree? You were to lazy or lack focus to complete one? Now, still would rather yeach illegally than get a degree because inside you know you lack the ability, discipline and life skills.

There are probably plenty of qualified out of work high school level English teachers in the United States who would gladly come to Thailand just for room and board, and a small stipend, and teach for a year or more.

There are probably plenty of qualified out of work high school level English teachers in the United States who would gladly come to Thailand just for room and board, and a small stipend, and teach for a year or more.

dream on

I'm not really proposing anything other than at the core, to legalize all the teachers.

Thailand needs to get smart, get creative.

Marrieds with two yrs in country (degree...) - teaching wp
Teachers with three consec yrs teaching - wp.
*Have a sensible course for a conversational English teaching license and allow teachers with two plus years exp to shop for best jobs. Not linked two yr waivers, some ridiculous exam.

All this reorganization has real possibility of blowing up because of the type of person attracted to teach in Thailand. It needs to counter that.

It us going to get really expensive reprocessing visas and wp for backpackersvand the skeezers when they decide for many reasons not to complete the contract.

It's a no brainer...if you cannot provide cash remuneration - provide perks! Free food, sleep at school (for some), etc...most of all, lessen the hassle so teachers have stability and positive vibe that Thailand welcomes them and wants them to stay on and teach. Most teachers feel they are practically criminals - always one step away from doing something unlawful due to all the complications. Then you have how the provs process and enforce all the bs.

Thailand may now be at an impasse. If it does not do something to keep its college grads, they may never be back. Once settled in Korea, China, Vietnam...its done. It takes cash for someone to relicate out here, something that young grads are in short supply of right now.

In short, if Thailand seriously wants college grads for TEFL work, things must change. The harder and faster the current govt presses the system, the faster it will implode.

This happend at the petfect time. Next spring I sudpect the schools to be in total panic for NES. Edited by Mencken

Sorry, just woke up, having a coffee and typing on a tablet. Did I state, scoffing??

High School grads...lol, you reakly are a dreamer. Well, yes...a joint effort by private enterprise and MOE to pay for round trip tickets in advance and provideba literal mountain of paperwork only to have the kiddies run home when...

Homesick
Food too spicy
Promised travel
Cant save money
Bored
Actually have to work
Get a girl pregnant
Find out they can drink at 18
Locate the local bad girl shack and spend all their money
Make a total hash of their lives in the school and or community
Only wanted to stay until they cleared their head and could go on to college.

Need to do a runner because they have banged every peasant girl in town, all hoping to marry the guy

Unattractive females feeling very alone.

Genius

how would lots of reading and writing benefit an ESL student? They need to learn how to speak and listen, while they're learning to read.

So Anthropology, the study of people and culture, is an unsuitable degree for an ESL teacher? Don't think so. 

Myself and another teacher are thriving in my school. we have Fine Arts degrees. We can get kids to talk more when doing art than any other way.

Just a quick note.

It is not the degree, nor the TEFL course that makes a teacher good. It is being born with the talent. A teacher is a motivator. Its really a talent you are born with. It is not really an ability that can be taught. Training may improve on your ability, but you do need to be born with the talent to be a good teacher.  

Readingvand writing imo qualifies the teacher. I'm a firm believer in NES sticking to conversational English, esp in public schools.

Actually, depending on what FA is, it might be a good degree to teach. I had a 400 level of Art History, was one of the most demanding courses I had taken. Deconstructing modern pop art maybe not so much.

In the end, did you have to read hundeds of pages a week, cinstantly had some paper due and worried about upcoming exams. Felt that you needed to attend every class? Most likely recd a decent education.

Anthropology, Sociology, Communications...all pretty soft majors. Maybe just watch Discovery channel lol. These degrees are not respected in states either, we need not dwell on it. Even English majors do horribly in the job market.

Just a quick note.

It is not the degree, nor the TEFL course that makes a teacher good. It is being born with the talent. A teacher is a motivator. Its really a talent you are born with. It is not really an ability that can be taught. Training may improve on your ability, but you do need to be born with the talent to be a good teacher.  

Rubbish. While some people should never be teachers, other learn the craft in colleges and universities throughout the world. Tripe.

Born with it. Lol.

This is usually the people without degrees that state this - constantly

There is nothing wrong with asking for a degree to work in this day and age. It is the price or ticket to entry. It is especially not too much to ask from someone that is to be called a teacher and work in a public school with other teachers! What planet do you people live on?

Such a paradox, the uneducated teaching.

I would never, ever hire someone withiut a degree for anything but to provide a specific skill or service and yes, a vicational aspect to TEFL but still...it is a classrooom, you are working with professional teachers.

It is not too much to ask. Period.

Can and should are quite different words.

Thailand would be utter fools to open gates of teaching TEFL to anyone with an adv. diploma in English sorcery. Edited by Mencken

Just a quick note.

Rubbish. There is no teacher gene. You need a desire to teach and a passion to teach, but you're not born with it.

Mencken,

your posts are incoherent.

Why would reading reams of paper and writing dozens of essays make you a better conversational English teacher?

Tell Richard Leaky and Jane Goodall that Anthropology is a lame discipline!

Just a quick note.

Rubbish. While some people should never be teachers, other learn the craft in colleges and universities throughout the world. Tripe.

Born with it. Lol.

This is usually the people without degrees that state this - constantly

There is nothing wrong with asking for a degree to work in this day and age. It is the price or ticket to entry. It is especially not too much to ask from someone that is to be called a teacher and work in a public school with other teachers! What planet do you people live on?

Such a paradox, the uneducated teaching.

I would never, ever hire someone withiut a degree for anything but to provide a specific skill or service and yes, a vicational aspect to TEFL but still...it is a classrooom, you are working with professional teachers.

It is not too much to ask. Period.

Can and should are quite different words.

Thailand would be utter fools to open gates of teaching TEFL to anyone with an adv. diploma in English sorcery.

Utter tripe. Uneducated. A degree doesn't make you educated as many of your posts attest.

A degree is further education.

Although I do agree that they should insist on a decent TEFL course. Advanced TEFL, CELTA etc

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Sorry, just woke up, having a coffee and typing on a tablet. Did I state, scoffing??

High School grads...lol, you reakly are a dreamer. Well, yes...a joint effort by private enterprise and MOE to pay for round trip tickets in advance and provideba literal mountain of paperwork only to have the kiddies run home when...

Homesick
Food too spicy
Promised travel
Cant save money
Bored
Actually have to work
Get a girl pregnant
Find out they can drink at 18
Locate the local bad girl shack and spend all their money
Make a total hash of their lives in the school and or community
Only wanted to stay until they cleared their head and could go on to college.

Need to do a runner because they have banged every peasant girl in town, all hoping to marry the guy

Unattractive females feeling very alone.

Genius

Maturity is necessary for those who wish to be good teachers.

Spicy food would be a must for me, as well.

If I wanted to get an English teaching job, which I do not, I do not think I could.

Those over 30, or 40, must find it very difficult.

But, the spicy food would be not problem for me, and my hashing days are behind me.

Normally, students in the class wish to be entertained by the farang teacher, just as the farang students wish to be entertained by the Thai teacher.

I have seen very few serious Thai language students here.

They are interested in the Ed Visa, and this is all, most of the cases.

And some are real head cases, too.

So, I think that the OP stated he would post more topics discussing different aspects of this issue, as it impinges upon foreigners in Thailand who are not ESL teachers.

I look forward to reading these topics.

Readingvand writing imo qualifies the teacher. I'm a firm believer in NES sticking to conversational English, esp in public schools.

Actually, depending on what FA is, it might be a good degree to teach. I had a 400 level of Art History, was one of the most demanding courses I had taken. Deconstructing modern pop art maybe not so much.

In the end, did you have to read hundeds of pages a week, cinstantly had some paper due and worried about upcoming exams. Felt that you needed to attend every class? Most likely recd a decent education.

Anthropology, Sociology, Communications...all pretty soft majors. Maybe just watch Discovery channel lol. These degrees are not respected in states either, we need not dwell on it. Even English majors do horribly in the job market.

Actually I read recently that communications has been growing somewhat, as social media gets bigger and companies look to hire those majors to help manage their  online presence.  I was rather surprised, but it does make sense.  I suppose there are communications programs that may look to focus on internet and social communications type material.

Reading that clause from the po-po in the other thread about support staff (well, education personnel), doesnt this leave a huge gap in that last little bit... ill bold it: 

Educational Personnel is:
Person performing librarian, guidance, educational technology, registration and evaluation, general administration, supporter of education as specified by the Private Education Commission  
(4)  In case of educational personnel, the alien must have degree or experience that meet the work requirement and the ratio of alien employees shall not exceed 10 percent of total teachers or instructors in a particular education institution.

Given that Thailand is struggling for teachers at the moment. Given that the current model is clearly not working smoothly to bring in those new teachers due to incredibly high standards, expectations (b.ed/m.ed), or just good old fashioned confusion and red tape. Could we be looking at the first little wellspring of a solution? Ive seen several posts about a second, less stringent, work visa criteria. It looks to me that this might be its genesis. I can see a few schools will be looking at that phrasing carefully to see if they can garner a visa for a TEFL certified and experienced 'supporter of education'. It sounds kinda like a demotion in the title might be on the cards to 'Assistant Language Teacher' with a possible stipulation that a 'real teacher' be present at all times (this is exactly the way they do it in Japan - though you must have a degree). 

The nice thing is that such a law wouldnt lower the bar entirely. Furthermore, it means that those teachers who currently qualify for an automatic work permit due to their actual teaching qualification would allow a school to by-pass the 1/10 rule, and also allow the foreign teacher to teach unassisted. This would mean the teacher keeps their value and status (as would someone on a two year waiver). The school has options for employing outside of the current strict remit, and us waiver teachers (degree holders but not B.ed) can no doubt slip betwixt the two as and when required. 

Perhaps im reading it wrong. It's not like i know the ins and outs of it or how it ties into other state department legislation, but it does seem to be importantly vague and offering some kind of allowance for schools to manage their own foreign support labor a bit more clearly than the current situation.

Edited by inutil