Used/new Rolex in MBK

Grindting

Any recent experience with watch buying in MBK?

Last few months I've had my eye on the new 39mm explorer 1 model as my 'daily' workman (already have a VC for my work dress watch). They are not easy to find used and are almost as expensive as retail as they are only about 4 years old (the model)

My wife and I are travelling, and in Bangkok for a few days. I never thought of buying on the road and especially not in south east asia. But taken by surprise, Yesterday I was checking out the watches in MBK and came across 2 very good examples of the 39mm. Tried it on, and wife said that I absolutely had to have it! It blows the 36mm out the water and suits me down to the ground as a casual daily. Discrete, understated, classic, timeless casual watch, very useable in most scenarios.

I'm only interested in watches with box and paper. the examples are in 2 shops in the centre of level 3 who are clearly real sellers and none of the watches appear fake under the magnifying glass I requested, the attention to detail is as per rolex standard. All seems well, so far,. Both have original box and papers which I inspected

I've been doing a bit of research and on both the rolex board and even on this board the consensus is there are some good deals to be had, but buyer beware. Although there are some posters on the boards who have been dealing with these stores in the centre of MBK for over a decade

My plan would be to buy the watch and then take it to an official rolex shop (like wireless road) so they can open it up and check it is not a Frankenstein, which is my main concern. Box an papers appear legit

39mm explorer 1 used is uncommon in the UK and you're looking at at least £3500 minimum on ebay with box and papers mint. The example in MBK is a 2012 model, 9.9 out of 10 condition, box and papers 158,000 baht (I will try and push down to 150k but expend to buy at 155k). This is £2,800 which is a good deal from a dealer, on ebay at a no reserve auction you would be pressed to find less than £3000. There is also another store with a brand new example unworn, for 175,000, about £3100. Again a cracking deal.

There would be no loss if I were to sell these on although that is not the intention

My main question is anyone bought a 'luxury' watch there recently and what was their experience? If I got it authenticated in the rolex store (I believe there is a small 2000 baht fee for the service) and it turns out the movement has been tampered with (Frankenstein) and I take it back to the shop, will they refund or will I end up with a big fight on my hands? I will buy on my credit card as a backup so any nonsense I can call the card company and claim fraud and reverse the charge

From what I've read in my research from knowledgable watch buyers is that the Proper shops located in the centre are legit, especially when buying with box and paper, some of the others around the end are 'sold as seen' and may have Frankenstein movements. Saw a really lovely AP RO in solid gold which they only wanted 235,000 for, but he admitted it was about 10 years old, no box or papers, no service history, and non original leather strap and buckle. It would cost another 100 to 150k to restore it at an official AP centre with full service, buff out scratches, new strap, box, archive papers etc. which would still work out a good deal, but couldn't be bothered with the hassle, especially if there is a chance someone has <deleted> with the movement. Shame it wasn't a clear case back

Anyway, informed responses would be appreciated. Thanks

Edited by Grindting

I think I know the stores of which you speak (by the escalator going up beside Boots). There's also another store on the second floor in this same section across from Watsons that looks like it has okay watches. While I haven't purchased here myself, I have heard that these stores are not fly-by-night places. That being said to save yourself a headache (wouldn't rely on the cc company backing you up), why not just ask the store to crack open the back inspect for a gutted watch?

I'm no horologist mate, opening it up wouldn't help me. Id need an expert eye to see if the movement had any parts removed and replaced with repro

Gonna pop to paragon today and actually find out what the retail is on a new one, if the price isn't too far off if they're doing bargains I might just think <deleted> it and buy the bastard new. Got my heart set on it now

Only trouble is, I can't get the VAT refund as we are leaving via Cambodia (land). So that will eat into the potential savings. Gonna check out the 2014 model they had in MBK and see what level of paperwork and tags etc they have etc, as the 2012 was lacking in everything other than the box and plastic warrantee card. I don't think it had the original quantity of links (as my wrist is small and it fit just right so some links must have been removed and they were not in the case)

Ended up buying new in siam paragon

Official rolex shop on the ground floor. Explorer 1 39mm they had 1 in stock, 214,000 retail, they sold it to me at 192,000 incl tax.

Brand new, box, all the paperwork, tags, odds and sods, sized and links put in the box, 2 year warrantee activated on the system for me right there, the works. Definitely worth the uplift. And even got a cup of tea...

This is still cheaper than a used mint explorer 1 39mm in the UK, or close. Lots of ebay sellers have for sale at £3750. So my purchase price of approx £3400 means if I get bored some day in years to come I'll either break even or make a profit.

Shame I can't claim the 12,000 baht VAT refund as we're taking the train out to Cambodia tomorrow!!! Would have been another £250 odd saved. But no bother, still absolutely chuffed with the product and the price

Official rolex shop on the ground floor. Explorer 1 39mm they had 1 in stock, 214,000 retail, they sold it to me at 192,000 incl tax.

Brand new, box, all the paperwork, tags, odds and sods, sized and links put in the box, 2 year warrantee activated on the system for me right there, the works. Definitely worth the uplift. And even got a cup of tea...

This is still cheaper than a used mint explorer 1 39mm in the UK, or close. Lots of ebay sellers have for sale at £3750. So my purchase price of approx £3400 means if I get bored some day in years to come I'll either break even or make a profit.

Shame I can't claim the 12,000 baht VAT refund as we're taking the train out to Cambodia tomorrow!!! Would have been another £250 odd saved. But no bother, still absolutely chuffed with the product and the price

I think you made the right decision. If you are prepared to spend that kind of money anyway, then definitely worth paying the extra to make sure it is 100% genuine.

Just don't go showing your new watch off in Cambodia :)

In a market in Chiang Mai 3 years ago, I bought an used Omega Seamaster Automatic, no papers but looked original in any way. Because was just 700THB I took the risk. Works perfectly, and I do not use it very much because it is very heavy. An Omega dealer find out that is fake, a very good copy, but fake. Amazingly, all friends, even some "experts", cannot find indications that it is not real. Are Chinese also faking the papers? Who knows?

post-183983-0-70515700-1405611370.gif

Edited by umbanda

In a market in Chiang Mai 3 years ago, I bought an used Omega Seamaster Automatic, no papers but looked original in any way. Because was just 700THB I took the risk. Works perfectly, and I do not use it very much because it is very heavy. An Omega dealer find out that is fake, a very good copy, but fake. Amazingly, all friends, even some "experts", cannot find indications that it is not real. Are Chinese also faking the papers? Who knows?

At 700 baht, did you really need a dealer to tell you that it was fake?

I think you made the right decision. If you are prepared to spend that kind of money anyway, then definitely worth paying the extra to make sure it is 100% genuine.

Just don't go showing your new watch off in Cambodia :)

Thanks mate

I take it you mean generally, in the street? Then of course

But if you mean at the boarder, please go on? I'm considered cos I have box and papers they might try to charge us? I want to ship the box and papers back to the uk (separately) when we get to siam reap. Still need to do some more research about HMRC receiving empty boxes and poking their nose in

Just don't go showing your new watch off in Cambodia smile.png

Thanks mate

But if you mean at the boarder, please go on? I'm considered cos I have box and papers they might try to charge us? I want to ship the box and papers back to the uk (separately) when we get to siam reap. Still need to do some more research about HMRC receiving empty boxes and poking their nose in

I mean on the street mate smile.png

But I see what you mean about at the border, never thought of that. I wouldn't have a clue mate.

Edited by Jay1

I was looking at Datejust in those MBK stores on a recent trip but decided against it after reading some online reports.

I ended up buying an Explorer 1 in a High St AD in SW London for £3900 saving 400 on list. A great understated watch although I'm having trouble with the bracelet. It's either slightly too tight or just a tad loose.

Just don't go showing your new watch off in Cambodia smile.png

Thanks mate

I mean on the street mate smile.png

But I see what you mean about at the border, never thought of that. I wouldn't have a clue mate.

No worries mate. I think the explorer 1 is the most discrete rolex, in addition to me and my wife being 29 with backpacks I'm sure anyone who did clock it would assume it was a fake as we'd probably have an assumed social status. The new strap would be very difficult to remove by a pickpocket but I'm always going to be conscious of it. and in terms of violent robberies etc I'm not the sort to hang out in dangerous areas or get pissed up and stagger home etc. although I will need to change my travel insurance this eve to something that covers! Edited by Grindting

I was looking at Datejust in those MBK stores on a recent trip but decided against it after reading some online reports.

I ended up buying an Explorer 1 in a High St AD in SW London for £3900 saving 400 on list. A great understated watch although I'm having trouble with the bracelet. It's either slightly too tight or just a tad loose.

Yeah it's a beauty, and worth that price point as well. The datejust's are a bit 'dated' I think, and for a daily watch a bit too formal, and as a dress watch I'd much rather wear a proper piece of horology by one of the big 3. Although I'd be happy to wear the explorer with a suit none the less as it does a fantastic job of that too.

Did you get the 39mm, if so have you tried playing with the quick adjustor with the 5mm changeability? One of the best features I've ever experienced on a watch strap. I wore the watch home with the links taken out and the 5mm cut short. In the mall it was fine for walking around, very comfortable and a solid fit. But outside it was a bit grating, when I got home I adjusted the 5mm out and loosened it up and it made a world of difference, not too loose but enough to let in a bit of air and movement. It works perfectly for this thai weather with the humidity.

Not that id take it diving but also useful to loosen and put over a wetsuit.

Edited by Grindting

Any pointers to these reports?

When somebody asks me where's the best place to get copies of anything, I always point them at MBK. With all due respect, nobody in their right mind would expect to buy a genuine anything in MBK although the KFC might be the real thing!

When somebody asks me where's the best place to get copies of anything, I always point them at MBK. With all due respect, nobody in their right mind would expect to buy a genuine anything in MBK although the KFC might be the real thing!

Exactly mate. And even if the watch was 100% real, can you imagine saying to people "I bought this rolex watch for 150,000 baht." "Where did you buy it from?"

"I bought it from MBK"

You would be mocked for having spent all that money on a fake..even though you KNEW it was real haha

Hmm I don't think so. They do sell real luxury wrist watches in those 4 stores on level 3. all of the customers other than myself were local BKK thai in work shirts already sporting submariners. I suppose to them the saving of 20,000 to 30,000 baht is worth it to get almost new, and then with their buy back minus 10% makes it a good bet if you keep your money in possessions (as Asians do) and then trade them in for cash when in a sticky spot. I have no doubt the 2 explorers were real, but the hassle of getting it authenticated in case of a Frankenstein movement to me is a pain in the arse I could do without, and I love to have the full blown 'case candy', which some people do not care about as they only want the watch itself. So it's a different market. If I was a resident of BKK it does seem there are some good deals to be had if you're in the know. For me I'm just passing though so it's better for me to just go with brand new and pay the premium

I do agree with you about the 'I bought it in MBK', it doesn't sound good but it'll be the uninformed average joe who would be laughing, who knows nothing about wrist watches anyway.

Any pointers to these reports?

I think I googled 'watch forum MBK'' or similar. Some people say there fine but others aren't so sure. I thought paying the extra couple of hundred was probably worth it for the peace of mind. Anyway, you'll get a slight premium moving it on if the watch originated in the UK providing you sell there of course.

Grinding, yes it's a 39mm. Incidentally, there was a used 36mm 14270 10 years old marked up at £3,750 in a shop window in the same centre.

My choice was between a blue faced mid size Aqua Terra and the Explorer. The Rolex seemed to have a better feel to it although they're both good looking all rounders. The Rolex will also have a higher resale value but this is not a watch I will want to sell.

I've tried the 5mm adjustment and links in and out but it still doesn't seem right all the time. It's probably natural changes in the wrist but I might enquire whether you can get half links like the Omega SMP uses. By the way, there's no comparison between the bracelet of the old 36mm Explorer and the new 39mm. The old pressed steel catch felt very flimsy for the best part of 4g.

Grinding, yes it's a 39mm. Incidentally, there was a used 36mm 14270 10 years old marked up at £3,750 in a shop window in the same centre.

My choice was between a blue faced mid size Aqua Terra and the Explorer. The Rolex seemed to have a better feel to it although they're both good looking all rounders. The Rolex will also have a higher resale value but this is not a watch I will want to sell.

I've tried the 5mm adjustment and links in and out but it still doesn't seem right all the time. It's probably natural changes in the wrist but I might enquire whether you can get half links like the Omega SMP uses. By the way, there's no comparison between the bracelet of the old 36mm Explorer and the new 39mm. The old pressed steel catch felt very flimsy for the best part of 4g.

Explorer 1 is a great watch. Worn mine nearly every day for 10 years now.

OB

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

OB

I bet it looks as good and is probably worth more than it did 10 years ago. Have you had it serviced? Would servicing costs differ in Thailand?

OB

I bet it looks as good and is probably worth more than it did 10 years ago. Have you had it serviced? Would servicing costs differ in Thailand?
I've been slack and not had it done once....it's a real testament to its durability it still keeps fantastic time. It survived my party years in HK and singapore and it's something I want to pass onto my son. Maybe daddy deserves a new 39mm.....

OB

Where did you buy in Paragon?

I found Cortina watch at Erawan very good and offered decent discounts.

Had black and white daytonas, and black and green subs to buy there and then.

I think Daytonas worked out at about £7.3k after tax refund and black sub about £4.7k, green around £5.3k (from memory - checked in march)

MBK - dealers are fine. The big Thai/Chinese bloke on the right coming out of department store quotes outrageous prices. I think more into the local asians/dealers bulk buying and flipping.

The stall in the middle on the corner is good. They have another branch in Paragon I think too. I've got some cards somewhere and will try and dig them out.

Edit - just remembered http://papayawatch.com

Although I found a cheaper shop in the outskirts of Bangkok.

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

People may be trying to capitalise on the fact the 36mm is discontinued and will continue to go up in value. Me personally I was going to actually very keen to buy the 36mm, as this size is a bit more dressy but still casual. I wasn't even considering the 39mm as I have a 39mm dress watch already and for me it is a bit too bold. But when we were in the store in MBK and I just tried on the 39mm as it was the only one with box and papers (36mm was without) it was my mrs that convinced me. I tried on the 36mm and she said no, no way, the 39mm IS your watch, it's the best watch I've ever seen you put on your wrist, it's masculine and also very smart. Put on the 36mm again and I thought to myself, she's right.

In terms of specifications, the 39mm is a 'better' watch, better strap, better clasp, better movement with the latest mod cons. Only thing that the 39mm says which I can live with but it is not my preference, is that the rolex logo can be seen as it's a bit bigger and the text 'better' placed, meaning it's not as discrete. But still nothing like a sub and still discrete enough

Where did you buy in Paragon?

I found Cortina watch at Erawan very good and offered decent discounts.

Had black and white daytonas, and black and green subs to buy there and then.

I think Daytonas worked out at about £7.3k after tax refund and black sub about £4.7k, green around £5.3k (from memory - checked in march)

MBK - dealers are fine. The big Thai/Chinese bloke on the right coming out of department store quotes outrageous prices. I think more into the local asians/dealers bulk buying and flipping.

The stall in the middle on the corner is good. They have another branch in Paragon I think too. I've got some cards somewhere and will try and dig them out.

Edit - just remembered http://papayawatch.com

Although I found a cheaper shop in the outskirts of Bangkok.

RAZZ

Got it from Time Midas on the ground floor. Opposite the patek shop.

The MBK store I was in was called HONG, the guys in there very polite. It was all rollers on the right, gold in the middle and then a mix on the left of pateks, AP and rolex etc. the place full of lunch time Thai office blokes already sporting rollers. Then there was a store behind it which also had a lot of pateks in addition to rollers, their ones were 'as new' 2014 with box and cert. but the prices were a little too close to as new as well so I saw no benefit

So many 'experts' on this forum. MBK has been famous for genuine watches for decades. Do you think Rolex shop owners are worried that guys that can only afford a Casio are waffling on TV forum that they can't be trusted, when thousands of people in the know are buying their watches annually?

So many 'experts' on this forum. MBK has been famous for genuine watches for decades. Do you think Rolex shop owners are worried that guys that can only afford a Casio are waffling on TV forum that they can't be trusted, when thousands of people in the know are buying their watches annually?

I don't think he's worried about the vendors feelings.

OB

Edited by Oceanbat

Thanks for putting the so-called experts straight. MBK has always had genuine watch dealers, just because they went there for their 1000 baht Rolex doesn't mean that only fakes are available.

Eh? rolleyes.gif

Not quite what the OP was talking about.

He was worried about a buying badly serviced used Rolex, or one with a Frankenstein movement.

Not the same as knowingly buying a fake watch whistling.gif

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL