Yeast

claaay

Was experimenting with my fancy new rice cooker and showed some friends a loaf of bread I made in it. Duly impressed, they responded by gifting me an old electric oven. It's sort of expanded from there, and I've had a little problem of getting ahold of yeast at a "reasonable" price. I look in the usual places, OK? Tesco, Big C, Tops....they all seem to have the same thing: a small bottle of yeast entitled "PERFECT". It's about 50 baht and makes about 6 loaves. It works fine, but at the rate I'm baking I'd really like to find a bag with about 10 times that much for half the price. What can I say, I'm cheap, it's one reason I'm baking in the first place. Anybody got a source?

Well, you have to play with quantities. Following one recipe twice, I got collapsed loafs. I halved the yeast content and they were pretty well acceptable. Too much yeast makes the bread rise too quickly. It then collapses. The salt is supposed to control the function of the yeast, but as I say, you have to lay with quantities. I don't bake bread becauseit comes cheaper (I don't think it does)but because I can make bread just like I like it.

Makro.

Nothing wrong with “Perfect”yeast.

I’ve been using it for years.

If you are only getting 6 loaves from one bottle then, quite simply, you are using two much yeast.

Do some research online.

The less yeast and the longer the fermentation, the better the bread.

I use ¼ tsp yeast per 600g loaf. Which means a bottle of yeast lasts months.

It looks like this.

That's nice looking bread, glad to hear of another way to do it. I'm willing to do some experimentation, and I keep looking around online. Would be great to have a bread making class to compare notes with people, see demonstrations.

You can also create your own yeast supply as needed.

how-to-make-bread-yeast-from-scratch -- greatnorthernprepper.com

prepper-baking-101-making-your-own-yeast -- www.offthegridnews.com

Stop-Paying-for-Yeast-Make-Your-Own -- www.instructables.com

howto - yeast: the-basics -- allrecipes.com

Just be careful, you want to grow yeast, not mold or bacteria.

• Like 1

The mind boggles.... a small bottle of yeast entitled "PERFECT". ?? how do you get yeast out of a bottle ?

Never seen + never used yeast in a bottle.. always buy a slab in the Market, [back part of Bang Yai Market] she cut it to about the size I want and wraps it in foil sold by weight [not sure what size the big block is but about the size of the 5 KG slabs of butter]

• 4 weeks later...

If you are only getting 6 loaves from one bottle then, quite simply, you are using two much yeast.

Do some research online.

It looks like this.

OK, I did some reading and watching youtube. There is too much information out there. I finally stopped at this recipe. It's the easiest, and it does indeed use a lot less yeast. The result gets me a decent piece of toast in the morning.

The mind boggles.... a small bottle of yeast entitled "PERFECT". ?? how do you get yeast out of a bottle ?

Never seen + never used yeast in a bottle.. always buy a slab in the Market, [back part of Bang Yai Market] she cut it to about the size I want and wraps it in foil sold by weight [not sure what size the big block is but about the size of the 5 KG slabs of butter]

Well, I don't know much about it. I just asked at Big C and they brought me over to where it was. Dried granules in a little bottle. I'm real curious about what you're talking about. I go to markets sometimes, I'll be on the lookout for slabs of yeast.

You can also create your own yeast supply as needed.

how-to-make-bread-yeast-from-scratch -- greatnorthernprepper.com

prepper-baking-101-making-your-own-yeast -- www.offthegridnews.com

Stop-Paying-for-Yeast-Make-Your-Own -- www.instructables.com

howto - yeast: the-basics -- allrecipes.com

Just be careful, you want to grow yeast, not mold or bacteria.

That sounds pretty interesting, but I followed the advice of somebody else up there and found a way that uses a LOT less yeast, tradeoff is longer rising times. But it seems to develop the flavor better. Probably stick with store-bought yeast for now. I have looked at trying a sourdough starter though, and thought this was an interesting video on how it works. Too bad the GF doesn't like sourdough.

I use this recipe and make the dough into rolls then cook them in my table top oven. My main problem is that I cannot seem to get the rolls to come out the same size but they taste OK anyway.

That's all I have, an old hand-me-down table top oven. Should probably replace the cord.

• Like 1

Well, I don't know much about it. I just asked at Big C and they brought me over to where it was. Dried granules in a little bottle. I'm real curious about what you're talking about. I go to markets sometimes, I'll be on the lookout for slabs of yeast.

Where have you been the last 70 or so years? Yeast now comes in dried form. Used by all the best bread bakers as you can find for yourself if you consult their books or go online and look for their recipes.

I use the 'Perfect' yeast for my bread, and have never had a problem. Here's my recipie:

Bread flour 450gms

Dry yeast 7gms

Sugar 5gms

Salt 7gms

Warm water 300ml

Olive oil 2tbl sp

Mix all together in a bowl. Knead the dough ( I have a large mixer with a dough hook ) for 5 mins, or 10 mins by hand.

Leave covered in a warm place until doubled in size.

Sprinkle some flour, and make a couple of cuts in the top.

Bake in the oven at 220c for 25-30 mins.

Do some research online.

It looks like this.

looks really nice. Can you share recipe and method and brand of bread flour you are using. also oven temp and timings if you can. many thanks.

I use the 'Perfect' yeast for my bread, and have never had a problem. Here's my recipie:

Bread flour 450gms

Dry yeast 7gms

Sugar 5gms

Salt 7gms

Warm water 300ml

Olive oil 2tbl sp

Mix all together in a bowl. Knead the dough ( I have a large mixer with a dough hook ) for 5 mins, or 10 mins by hand.

I don't know how to measure this way. Sorry, but do you weigh out grams with a scale? I know it's a weight measurement but not sure how that works, terms like relative density and specific gravity come to mind and I get a headache. I use volume measurements: teaspoons (t), tablespoons (T), cups ( c), etc., and don't weigh anything. Is there such a thing as a gram-spoon?

I'm not sure about the covering and leaving and baking part...I used to mix everything and let it rise for a couple hours, then punch it down and let it rise again in a pan for a while. When mrjohn said that's way more yeast than he uses, I looked around online and found a recipe which uses far less yeast (1/8 t - 1/4 t) and doesn't require kneading: it's a really wet dough. Just mix everything up let it sit covered for 8 to 24 hours. Then I turn it out onto a floured board and quickly make a loaf, then put it in a pan to rise again for a couple hours before baking. It used to be a matter of couple hours rising when I used yeast by the tablespoon, but now it's overnight because I use less yeast (the reason for this thread in the first place). I think the flavor is better because of the long rising times, but frankly it's rather dense and even a little rubbery. Delicious in it's own way, makes great toast but not my favorite for sandwiches. I'd like it to be more fluffy and dry but not sure how. I've made it about 6 times, maybe try going back to kneading.

4.5 gms = 1 tsp, so I reckon you won't be far out using 1.5 tsp yeast.

Anyway, here's another similar recipie using slightly more ingredients, and producing a slightly larger loaf:

600gms ( 3 cups ) Bread flour

1.5 tsp Dry yeast

1 tsp sugar

2tsp salt

3 tbsp melted butter, or veg oil

1/2 pint warm water

Method is the same as above.

I don't knock the dough back. I shape it into a ball, and just let it rise in a warm place for an hour, or maybe two. Then into the oven.

I teach English over here, and use this recipie for my students. It's never let me down.

Don't be tempted to use water that's too hot, it will kill the yeast. Just hot enough to keep your finger in is about right.

Makro has vaccum packed bags of yeast in the baking supplies section.

If you're unsure about measurements, just Google gms = tsp or cups

Bread flour 450gms

Dry yeast 7gms

Sugar 5gms

Salt 7gms

Warm water 300ml

Olive oil 2tbl sp

I don't know how to measure this way. Sorry, but do you weigh out grams with a scale? I know it's a weight measurement but not sure how that works, terms like relative density and specific gravity come to mind and I get a headache. I use volume measurements: teaspoons (t), tablespoons (T), cups ( c), etc., and don't weigh anything. Is there such a thing as a gram-spoon?

Why not just get a digital kitchen scale at your local Makro for a few Baht? smile.png

It's much more precise and since most (if not all) European recipes use grams, it will be a good investment,

Anyway, here's another similar recipie using slightly more ingredients, and producing a slightly larger loaf:

1.5 tsp Dry yeast

1 tsp sugar

2tsp salt

1/2 pint warm water

I don't knock the dough back. I shape it into a ball, and just let it rise in a warm place for an hour, or maybe two. Then into the oven.

I teach English over here, and use this recipie for my students. It's never let me down.

Don't be tempted to use water that's too hot, it will kill the yeast. Just hot enough to keep your finger in is about right.

actually, 1 tsp of yeast weighs 3 grams. If you go to the king arthur flour website http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipe/master-weight-chart.html you'll see that 2 1/4 tsps of yeast weights 1/4 of an ounce. An ounce is 28 grams. So, if you do the math... There are other links you can find that will show you the same same answer

1.5 tsp Dry yeast

1 tsp sugar

2tsp salt

1/2 pint warm water

Have a look at these as they may help.

all conversion charts.xls

Conversions.doc

Cooking temperature conversions.xls

spoon sizes.xls

Weights and measurements.doc

Bread flour 450gms

Dry yeast 7gms

Sugar 5gms

Salt 7gms

Warm water 300ml

Olive oil 2tbl sp

Why not just get a digital kitchen scale at your local Makro for a few Baht? smile.png

It's much more precise and since most (if not all) European recipes use grams, it will be a good investment,

Ah jeez, come on you guys, no math or conversions, I bake with one hand coz got a cocktail in the other. I got the measuring spoons, etc., and I know there's plenty of recipes that use those, so probably just stick with those until some significant emotional experience makes me have to change. Happy baking!

• Like 1

Making bread isn't an exact science. A few grams here and there won't make a huge difference.

On the subject of conversion websites, you'll find that many of them vary slightly.

Best advice is, if you're really worried, go buy some digital scales.

post-77463-0-68747400-1408916519_thumb.jpost-77463-0-65374200-1408916533_thumb.j

You could make no yeast bread and not cook it in an oven!

I made some yesterday, bad pictures above. Irish soda bread with some raisins cooked in my "crockpot" (slow cooker). Great with some salty butter and blueberry preserves.

attachicon.gifDSC01006(1).JPGattachicon.gifDSC01007(1).JPG

You could make no yeast bread and not cook it in an oven!

I made some yesterday, bad pictures above. Irish soda bread with some raisins cooked in my "crockpot" (slow cooker). Great with some salty butter and blueberry preserves.

Nice pics, thanks. I got back into baking after I moved here because my new rice cooker said I could bake a cake in it. I baked several kinds of cakes and breads, with and without yeast. The first bread I ever baked was biscuits at age 8 when Dad showed me how to make Bisquick drop biscuits with sausage gravy. Uh oh gonna have to make some now. And I'm so totally into salty butter.

Making bread isn't an exact science. A few grams here and there won't make a huge difference.

On the subject of conversion websites, you'll find that many of them vary slightly.

Ok, I agree in theory although I haven't got that far yet as far as confidence is concerned. However I have adjusted the amount of yeast in some recipes, too much yeast resulted in collapsed loaves so I do take that bit seriously. Also the ratio of yeast to salt seems to be important.

Ok, I agree in theory although I haven't got that far yet as far as confidence is concerned. However I have adjusted the amount of yeast in some recipes, too much yeast resulted in collapsed loaves so I do take that bit seriously. Also the ratio of yeast to salt seems to be important.

You're right about the importance of being accurate with yeast and salt. Yeast is potent stuff. Generally speaking, less is better. I don't know about the ration of yeast to salt being all that important though. The important ration there is the weight of salt as a percentage of the total weight of the ingredients.For most bread recipes the weight of saltt should be between 1 and 2 percent of the total weight of the ingredients. 1 teaspoon of table salt weighs about 6 grams.

• Like 1