Girlfriend owns land and house, Will we have any problems if we marry?

Wow, this thread has really brought out some very bitter farangs. Maybe we could have a new thread discussing what makes so many farangs so bitter about life. I think it's very sad.

Hmmmmm, perhaps some of us long timers still have our eyes wide open to stuff, sod all to do with being bitter..............rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Sadly those of us who have lived in the LOS for many years, who speak Thai and who came here with open minds have managed to accumulate so many negative experiences with Thais whom we initially trusted. Nothing to do with being bitter just living & learning. A Chinese friend told me long ago & long before I lived here - that Thais have 2 faces. At the time I thought that was very cynical. Another friend summed it up beautifully - beautiful land, beautiful people but deception at every turn. Says it all really.

• Like 2

Sadly those of us who have lived in the LOS for many years, who speak Thai and who came here with open minds have managed to accumulate so many negative experiences with Thais whom we initially trusted. Nothing to do with being bitter just living & learning. A Chinese friend told me long ago & long before I lived here - that Thais have 2 faces. At the time I thought that was very cynical. Another friend summed it up beautifully - beautiful land, beautiful people but deception at every turn. Says it all really.

I will agree with that. thumbsup.gif

Name a magical country where this doesn't apply. Wherever you live, wherever you go you will encounter honesty and deception.

Somebody who allows themselves to be easily deceived will be deceived anywhere.

As regards the OP's not clearly explained question...... if he was the one who paid for the house, then he should try to get some form of written assurance (for what it is worth) from his wife that if she died he wouldn't be instantly kicked out, but if he didn't pay for the house, then he better wrap her in cotton wool and hope for the best.

Wow, this thread has really brought out some very bitter farangs. Maybe we could have a new thread discussing what makes so many farangs so bitter about life. I think it's very sad.

I don't think you need a thread for that, it's pretty obvious what's transpired in many people lives that make them that way.

What's a little unusual is that you'd have to guess most know the risks but choose to ignore them.

To the OP it sounds like you've found a decent, independant girl who wants to bring you into her successful life, congrats and good luck.

How about you quote me (and yourself) and make a new thread. It would be brutal

I feel I am impartial, having worked in Bangkok and having been married (and divorced) to a thai.

I'm married to an Indonesian myself and we lived in Indonesia for a few years, then the UK, and now travelling before starting the next adventure together.. Expat package in the Philippines.

In my time reading these boards, I find these are the things which the majority of bitter 'farangs' get upset about when they hear cases of:

- people who run a successful business in Thailand, especially a business which farangs usually fail at

- people with good expat packages in Thailand incl serviced accommodation, flights, salary above 400,000 baht a month net, etc

- people with elite cards

- people married to Thais in a loving relationship where money is not transferred regularly to issan inlaws

- people married to any thai with higher social status above a salon or massage shop owner

- people married with Chinese or thai Chinese who reside in Thailand

- people who speak fluent thai and enjoy everything about the thai way of life

- people like the French noodle stall owner.. How is he operating, he is illegal, he should be arrested.. Jealousy that they struggle to get their visa yet he's working a job reserved for Thais.. Mind blowing and infuriating

And very entertaining, which is why I still read these boards!

• Like 1

What is "yellow book" and ho does she get it?

The so-called Yellow Book, and it is yellow, is a House Book just like the blue book, but only for aliens (farangs), who cannot be listed in the Blue Book.
“How to get it” may be little different from province to province. Some has reported they just go to the Ampkor and register their address and then get their yellow House Book, even a hospital card for free health care at government hospitals; others, like I, have to go through a fairly complicated process. In that case you will need two witness, both has to be someone Thai knowing you well, like neighbour, and one has to be government employed like teacher, policeman, Head-of-Village, etc. etc. You will be interviewed about why you stay in Thailand, what you want of Thailand, and a lot more, almost like the interview when applying for permanent residency; and you will have to proof retirement visa extension, or marriage, or child birth certificate (always bring your Thai partner with you, if you have one). At the end you will receive a Thai ID-number, just like Thais have on their ID-card, which will be printed together with your name in the yellow House Book.
The Yellow Book is just a proof of address and ID-number, which will appear on your drivers licence instead of Passport number when you renew it; but it is no proof of being granted residency or owner of a house or anything else (to my knowledge, however you can be listed as something like “house master”); I did for example not receive a hospital card and still need to do 90 days reporting on Visa extension.
However the proof of address is handy when you wish to open a bank account, buy something in your name like car or motorbike (the Transport Office may still wish a letter from Immigration as proof of address), phone or Internet billed monthly, power supply for house, etc. – or extending your visa, as it seems like a new rule at Immigration that you have to proof your address with a rental contract or House Book.

The so-called Yellow Book, and it is yellow, is a House Book just like the blue book, but only for aliens (farangs), who cannot be listed in the Blue Book.

I don't believe the Yellow Book is restricted to Caucasians (aka farangs).

I know of at least one Japanese man (yellow skinned aka Nippon), a Korean man (light brown, aka Gow-Lee), and an Indian gentleman (mid brown, aka Kairk) who have Yellow books.

Anyway, yellow house book gives you no rights to ownership, occupation or inheritance, so completely irrelevant to this thread.

Immigration like to see a house book for various dealings, but your gf/wife Blue book serves exactly the same purpose. You don't need a yellow one in your name. A Thai driving licence is just as good for everyone else.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

How about you quote me (and yourself) and make a new thread. It would be brutal

I feel I am impartial, having worked in Bangkok and having been married (and divorced) to a thai.

Your divorce with a Thai casts doubts on your impartiality.

Also many of your 'bullet points', have so few members as to make them irrelevant.

(How many elite card holders were there?, they probably vastly outnumber the successful foreigner business owners and foreigners in loving relationships with Thai women)

I don't believe the Yellow Book is restricted to Caucasians (aka farangs).

I know of at least one Japanese man (yellow skinned aka Nippon), a Korean man (light brown, aka Gow-Lee), and an Indian gentleman (mid brown, aka Kairk) who have Yellow books.

Anyway, yellow house book gives you no rights to ownership, occupation or inheritance, so completely irrelevant to this thread.

Immigration like to see a house book for various dealings, but your gf/wife Blue book serves exactly the same purpose. You don't need a yellow one in your name. A Thai driving licence is just as good for everyone else.

smile.png I did write "aliens", which is the official word for foreigners, including Asians and "farangs"...

– and that was just a reply to the poster's question: What is "yellow book", clearly stating that it is only a kind of proof of address; and it dosen't seems like a Thai Drivers License will work at Immigration in the future, when I read their new poster on the wall...

Edited by khunPer

Hmmmmm, perhaps some of us long timers still have our eyes wide open to stuff, sod all to do with being bitter..............rolleyes.gif

Will you Please explain this "sod all" ........

Will you Please explain this "sod all" ........

Sorry, it's an English slang phrase...it means "nothing". smile.png

• Like 1

Name a magical country where this doesn't apply. Wherever you live, wherever you go you will encounter honesty and deception.

America, England and Germany, you could go through your whole life and encounter little dishonesty.

In Thailand, you would be lucky to last a week.

(excluding encounters with lawyers, realtors, bankers and other people connected to financial services)

Having your eyes wide open is different to being bitter and making all sorts of assumptions about others. In many replies the bitterness is plain to see. Having your eyes wide open would result in a more measured reply pointing out possible dangers. Not the bitter rants that are so common on here.

America, England and Germany, you could go through your whole life and encounter little dishonesty.

In Thailand, you would be lucky to last a week.

(excluding encounters with lawyers, realtors, bankers and other people connected to financial services)

When I first arrived in USA, the taxi driver tried to rip me off. USA and UK is full of dishonest people. Why do you think their prisons are so full?

A local may notice less dishonesty, but a tourist will more likely encounter it. Same here. Probably affects tourists more, so it gets mentioned here. Try asking some Asian tourists about getting mugged, robbed, etc in London, New York, etc. You'll hear plenty of stories of dishonesty.

A local may notice less dishonesty, but a tourist will more likely encounter it. Same here. Probably affects tourists more, so it gets mentioned here. Try asking some Asian tourists about getting mugged, robbed, etc in London, New York, etc. You'll hear plenty of stories of dishonesty.

Dishonesty and crime are not the same thing.

I have no fear of being mugged or robbed, but casual (often pointless) lying is constant.

For example

Back in the US if my last apple in the fridge was eaten, and I shouted "Oi, who ate my apple", one of my kids would surely answer "sorry, it was me". In Thailand, none of them would ever admit it.