MH17: Malaysia Airlines Plane Shot Down Near Ukraine Border

george

I am now near certain the plane was shot down and the shooters were Russian affiliated rebels.

As far as any deliberate awareness that they were shooting down a commercial plane, I don't see the evidence for that, but of course a full investigation is needed (and will probably be blocked by rebel and/or Russian forces).

However, aside from that, I suggest this article for some interesting background on how the conditions developed for this tragedy to occur in the first place:

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/comment/2014/07/putin-and-the-crash-of-malaysian-airlines-flight-17.html?mobify=0

What’s far more certain is that Vladimir Putin, acting out of resentment and fury toward the West and the leaders in Kiev, has fanned a kind of prolonged political frenzy, both in Russia and among his confederates in Ukraine, that serves his immediate political needs but that he can no longer easily calibrate and control. Putin’s defiant annexation of Crimea and the destabilization of eastern Ukraine inflated his popularity at home. Despite a flaccid economy, his approval rating approaches levels rarely seen beyond North Korea. But the tactically clever and deeply cynical maneuvers of propaganda and military improvisation that have taken him this far, one of his former advisers told me in Moscow earlier this month, are bound to risk unanticipated disasters. Western economic and political sanctions may be the least of it.

This plane being shot down is one of those unanticipated disasters. Surely, this isn't over. In Ukraine, this is a war. Will it spread? Can Putin stop it from spreading now?

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

At 33,000 feet? If you are shooting down aircraft at that height it is almost guaranteed to be commercial traffic.

Mind you jihadists are by nature complete idiots.

I've flown in several military aircraft at 33,000 feet - hey, I've even flown chartered commercial jets full of fellow uniformed soldiers at - get this - 33,000 feet. A full regimental movement.

Which is why I said "almost". It's the exception rather than the norm.

Maybe you should just quit with your unnecessarily argumentative posts. It's already been known for military aircraft to fly in that area and 33,000 feet is the standard height.

@Pattszero -- stop being a prat. You really don't know what you're talking about.

because it deviated 300 or so miles to avoid a storm cell in the area. Still within accepted aviation corridor.

Hi,

It would be highly unlikely for this aircraft in this region to be deviating 300 miles due to weather. If the weather in the area was as significant as that then a new route would likely be chosen to avoid that area. That decision would be made by the flight planners or crew.

There are lots of these airway systems (roads) traversing the skies in countries around the globe. Airlines will on occasion plan to fly on different airways across a country. Lots of factors will influence that decision. Airspace closure, significant weather or more favourable winds will be some of the reasons the flight planning department will take into account.

We will never be able to eliminate risk completely in commercial aviation, but most airlines around the globe put safety at the top of the list.

Well diverting for weather is what CNN has been reporting as the cause for the deviated flight path.

If they are reporting it, then I guess it must be true...

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Looking at the cargo manifest posted above there were 5 live birds on board. Lets hope they escaped and managed to fly away to safety....

If that was an attempt at humour, it was in verybpoor taste

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

This is horrible, justice needs to be served.

NATO Special forces should have went in and surrounded the crash site immediately. Regardless if this was a accident those who ordered it to be shot down should be held accountable. Most likely there going to run to Russia and Russia will keep them safe. Total BS.

Top post Jim wish i could give it 10 likes.Interesting how people are not being objective.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by mrtoad
  • Like 1

BBC were reporting today that the OSEC investigation team were not being given access to the site. Can the UN send in a force to ensure they have access ?

Apparently bodies on the ground & I hope that reports of bodies being stolen & looted are wrong

One day ,,,,,,,,,,,,,

This is beginning to look worse and worse. At first I agreed with the view that it was caused by separatists who weren't aware that there could be civilian aircraft flying around. Indeed, it appears that normally there aren't - the flight was further north than normal, reportedly to avoid a thunderstorm.

Now I find this video on Youtube (enable captions to get the English subtitles) accusing the Ukrainian air force of hiding behind civilian aircraft in the hope that the separatists will shoot one down. Recall the claims that there were two fighters close behind MH017.

Now, recall the claims that there were 23 US citizens on board. If there was another aircraft in that corridor at about the same time with 23 US citizens on board, I will credit this to a multiway foul-up plus murderous intent on the Ukrainian government's side:

1) The MH017 captain lacked the courage to refuse the route

2) The separatists manning the ADU did not realise that civilian aircraft were about

3) The Ukrainian fighters flew behind the wrong aircraft - perhaps someone muddled the aircraft designations up.

Under this scenario, the degree of culpability in keeping the airway open rises from manslaughter to murder.

BBC were reporting today that the OSEC investigation team were not being given access to the site. Can the UN send in a force to ensure they have access ?

Apparently bodies on the ground & I hope that reports of bodies being stolen & looted are wrong

One day ,,,,,,,,,,,,,

yes how long the whole world fooled by those drunkards rats

they stole the wallets to the dead people,did they?

One day ,,,,,,,,,,,,,

being reported in Australian media as well. Russia won't allow anyone in until they have finished their investigation even tho it is not Russian soil. Australian families want the bodies of their loved ones removed but not possible until Russia give the o.k

One day ,,,,,,,,,,,,,

being reported in Australian media as well. Russia won't allow anyone in until they have finished their investigation even tho it is not Russian soil. Australian families want the bodies of their loved ones removed but not possible until Russia give the o.k

Russia aren't investigating. They are doing their best to remove any evidence of their involvement. And probably plant a few Ukrainian bits and pieces.

• Like 1

One day ,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Russia aren't investigating. They are doing their best to remove any evidence of their involvement. And probably plant a few Ukrainian bits and pieces.

+1.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/world/a/24501963/russia-under-fire-for-editing-wikipedia-page-over-mh17-tragedy/

Sent from my iPad so Please excuse any typos

the relatives of the 192 dutch victims are leaving now from Amsterdam to the place of the tragedy

Not true.

This posted 1 hour ago

http://www.nd.nl/artikelen/2014/juli/19/nabestaanden-nog-niet-naar-oekraine

Meaning Relatives are NOT YET going to the Oekraine

Malaysia Airlines heeft vooralsnog geen plannen om de nabestaanden van de 298 passagiers die donderdag omkwamen bij de crash van vlucht MH17 naar Oekraïne te vliegen. Er bestaan grote zorgen over de veiligheidssituatie in het land. Dat heeft een woordvoerder van Malaysia Airlines zaterdag gezegd. Volgens hem worden in Amsterdam de nabestaanden opgevangen en is er een speciaal team gevormd dat de situatie in Oekraïne gaat beoordelen.

Translation

Malaysia Airlines has no plans in flying the relatives of the 298 Passengers who where killed in the crash of Mh17 to the Ukraine. There are major concerns about the security situation in the country. A spokesperson from Malaysia Airlines said Saturday. According to him, to be in Amsterdam the relatives collected and there is a dedicated team that will assess the situation in Ukraine.

Edit 1: Maybe a Dutch / Belgian Member can confirm the translation ?

Edited by MJCM

Call me superstitious but I will avoid booking a ticket with Malaysian after these tragic accidents.

I'm sure that they are just as safe to fly with as any other airliner, but I will think different about Malaysia airlines from now on...

Your choice is your choice, but these were not accidents and superstition has no part to play in them.

I have flown first class and business with Singapore, BA, Etihad, Emirates, Qatar, Thai, Malaysian and others and whilst the condition/standard of the cabin was down the list in that their aircraft needed an upgrade/refit, the service on Malaysian was the best I have ever encountered anywhere. I have to go to LHR next month and have just booked with MAS in the only show of moral support for the company I can offer them. Until 6 months ago they were statistically one of the safest airlines in the World. Each to their own wink.png

LHR via KL? Must be good discount fare

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by skippybangkok

the relatives of the 192 dutch victims are leaving now from Amsterdam to the place of the tragedy

Not true.

This posted 1 hour ago

Malaysia Airlines heeft vooralsnog geen plannen om de nabestaanden van de 298 passagiers die donderdag omkwamen bij de crash van vlucht MH17 naar Oekraïne te vliegen. Er bestaan grote zorgen over de veiligheidssituatie in het land. Dat heeft een woordvoerder van Malaysia Airlines zaterdag gezegd. Volgens hem worden in Amsterdam de nabestaanden opgevangen en is er een speciaal team gevormd dat de situatie in Oekraïne gaat beoordelen.

Translation

Malaysia Airlines has no plans in flying the relatives of the 298 Passengers who where killed in the crash of Mh17 to the Ukraine. There are major concerns about the security situation in the country. A spokesperson from Malaysia Airlines said Saturday. According to him, to be in Amsterdam the relatives collected and there is a dedicated team that will assess the situation in Ukraine.

http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Nation/2014/07/19/mh17-dutch-relatives-wait-at-schipol-airport-to-move-to-crash-site/

they are leaving,waiting to leave ..if the news are true

Not true.

This posted 1 hour ago

<snip>

http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Nation/2014/07/19/mh17-dutch-relatives-wait-at-schipol-airport-to-move-to-crash-site/

they are leaving,waiting to leave ..if the news are true

They will go but definitely not NOW, maybe next week or maybe even in a couple of days, and only people who want to go.

Why go now if even the researchers can't enter the area ?

Edited by MJCM

A post containing a link to an Italian news site, in Italian language has been removed. Remember, this is an English language site (except for the Thai language forum).

someone ask for a source..and i linked the source

i remember this is an english language site,of course

but i translated that news before,

That is something completely different then your previous post that they are leaving now.

not now but in like 30 minutes 45 minutes 2 hours. i never said "now".. is that so different?

^^ They should go home and wait - by all reports that crash site is not ready for mourning relatives. The Dutch government should order them home.

IMHO The Dutch authorities / Malysian Airlines have asked them to be there

Edit 1: Added Malysian Airlines

Edited by MJCM

^^ They should go home and wait - by all reports that crash site is not ready for mourning relatives. The Dutch government should order them home.

I understand the benefit of having a central location where mourners can gather - it shouldn't be at the airport per se. They should take over a hotel and those that need to stay can do so - others should go home and wait. As sure as night follows day the grief index will be made worse as people break down in a domino effect.

As far as possible the families should be in the comfort of their own homes where their own families and friends can attend to them - not stuck in a sterile airport with distraught strangers.

I understand the benefit of having a central location where mourners can gather - it shouldn't be at the airport per se. They should take over a hotel and those that need to stay can do so - others should go home and wait. As sure as night follows day the grief index will be made worse as people break down in a domino effect.

As far as possible the families should be in the comfort of their own homes where their own families and friends can attend to them - not stuck in a sterile airport with distraught strangers.

I am not sure on this (so it could bloody well be speculation) but I guess that also for the NFI (National Forensic Institute) it's easier to have the Familiy Members in one place for DNA Testing. This is of course used when they are called for identifying their loved ones. However again, this could be pure speculation

wai.gif