Can you buy a 3G Data mobile phone sim at the airport?

penco

As stated, it is certainly possible.  All three of the major companies, AIS, True, and DTac, have booths located next to each other.  It is worth checking each of them to find the best possible deal for your needs.  You might also want to inquire about their coverage areas for 3G in Thailand and select the one that suits you best based on where you intend to be traveling, as some are better than others in different locations.  All of them have maps that show their coverage areas.  An added bonus is that they all speak English reasonably well which can be hit or miss when you go to their shops in other locations.  Furthermore, they are even open 24 hours a day!

Promotions do change, so it is best to check all of them.  Personally, I am happy with AIS.  After you select one of the providers, they will even put the sim card in for you.  You can't beat that for customer service!

• Like 2

Personally, I am happy with AIS.  After you select one of the providers, they will even put the sim card in for you.  You can't beat that for customer service!

I've also been happy with AIS, I use the airport store to recharge my sim on arrival. Last time they upgraded the sim to use a new faster frequency at no charge.

...go there and find out.

then you can come back and tell us.

Just think....you'd have a complete story to tell us all.

How you had a question....

How you went about your day to find the answer to your question

How you found the answer to your question and went home to write about it

and

How everyone loved your story.

i think

Edited by joshstiles
  • Like 1

IF in US/CANADA, You can buy a Sim on ebay, Pay as you go, Have been using mine for over 1 year.  Each time you RE-charge, validates the Sim for 1 year more. 2-3 weeks delivery to US and Canada ( You can buy from other countries but do not know delivery time )

I use AIS as a personal choice mobile provider, Full SERVICES IN THAILAND, other providers are available. I get TEXT in Japan Airports, Beijing and Hong Kong - probably in China - roaming charges. You can activate FULL service if you want, COSTLY as with everyone. When in US, get INBOUND VOICE and TEXT calls

ALSO of INTEREST

If ANDROID operating system: ....   https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rebtel.sendly  ....  to recharge from your phone - internet connection required - credit card required, have been with these people for over 5 years for OTHER services,( low cost international calls from US )  NEVER a problem ( it's a foreign company - NOT USA company)

If ANDROID operating system:  ....    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.snrblabs.grooveip  ....   get a US or Canada phone

number for FREE calls to / from US and Canada AS LONG AS YOU ARE CONNECTED TO WiFi, WILL NOT WORK ON DATA ALONE

Hope this is info you can use.

Edited by edwardflory
  • Like 1

My 5 satangs.

DTAC offering tourist sim-cards, which you can order online, pay for it via credit/debit card and receive your thai sim-card in your home country. They offering worldwide delivery from Thailand to your home. Shipping time from 3 to 5 days, depending from your country. Cost of delivery is 350 baht, same for all countries. Price of these sim-cards is 299 or 599 baht, which include 100 baht for local calls and 7 or 15 days of unlimited internet.

http://store.dtac.co.th/en/happytouristsim

Edited by breaker

IF in US/CANADA, You can buy a Sim on ebay, Pay as you go, Have been using mine for over 1 year.  Each time you RE-charge, validates the Sim for 1 year more. 2-3 weeks delivery to US and Canada ( You can buy from other countries but do not know delivery time )

I use AIS as a personal choice mobile provider, Full SERVICES IN THAILAND, other providers are available. I get TEXT in Japan Airports, Beijing and Hong Kong - probably in China - roaming charges. You can activate FULL service if you want, COSTLY as with everyone. When in US, get INBOUND VOICE and TEXT calls

ALSO of INTEREST

If ANDROID operating system: ....   https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rebtel.sendly  ....  to recharge from your phone - internet connection required - credit card required, have been with these people for over 5 years for OTHER services,( low cost international calls from US )  NEVER a problem ( it's a foreign company - NOT USA company)

If ANDROID operating system:  ....    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.snrblabs.grooveip  ....   get a US or Canada phone

number for FREE calls to / from US and Canada AS LONG AS YOU ARE CONNECTED TO WiFi, WILL NOT WORK ON DATA ALONE

ADDITIONAL INFO

AS LONG AS YOU ARE CONNECTED TO WiFi it does not mater what country YOU are in OR what country WHO you want to call is in as long as you BOTH are on WiFi and have the app on the phone, takes 20 seconds to sign up for the service.

ALSO you can call a regular land line in US or Canada, a land line can call you. USE a REAL email address - checked to see if valid -, if you do not answer a call, a answering machine takes your call, then, sends a voice message attachment to your email.

I am in Thailand, my friend is in Thailand, we BOTH have the app, she can call me - I can call her using OUR US numbers - NO COST!  via WiFi.   Also have a friend in Pattaya, she calls her friend in the UK each day using THEIR US number. If you need more explanation leave me a personal message.

There is a paid app that removes the small ad's at the bottom of the screen it's $4.99US.  Think of it this way, UNLIMITED phone calls from ANY country to US / Canada LAND LINE OR MOBILE, or, ANY country to ANY country VIA WiFi 24/7 at NO COST......pay the $4.99 --->>> ONE TIME CHARGE  takes 20 seconds to sign up for the service

NO I make NO money, credits etc, just share the knowledge.

Not exactly news. If both callers have any internet connection (not just wifi) they can use Skype (been around since 2003), Line and numerous other free audio and video services using a smartphone, tablet, laptop or computer. Plus low cost calls to anyone who only has a phone number i.e. no internet.

Not exactly news. If both callers have any internet connection (not just wifi) they can use Skype (been around since 2003), Line and numerous other free audio and video services using a smartphone, tablet, laptop or computer. Plus low cost calls to anyone who only has a phone number i.e. no internet.

OK to be clear:  """"Plus low cost calls to anyone who only has a phone number i.e. no internet."""

Sitting in THAILAND, using the app, I can call ANY number in the US or Canada at NO cost ...NOT 900, etc numbers 
Sitting in ENGLAND, using the app, I can call ANY number in the US or Canada at NO cost....NOT 900, etc numbers

True example:

Sitting in HONG KONG, connected to Airport WiFi and using the app, I called my girlfriends US number ( she was in Thailand connected to hotel WiFi )  to tell her my plane was changed and would arrive at 23:00 instead of 02:00, then called my friend in Kentucky ( land line only ) to tell about the plane change - they worry about me flying. Then my girlfriend using the app, called me in Hong Kong ( using US number) 20 mins before flight time to confirm I was ready to board the plane to BKK. After landing in BKK when I was at the hotel using the WiFi called my friends ( land line in Kentucky ) to tell then I was  in BKK - wife took the call, about 45 minutes later, her hubby called me back using US number.

NO MONEY, NO CHARGES for ANYONE for ANY of the calls

Yes, I have Skype, LINE, Yahoo, Rebtel, See the difference, understand the difference.

My 5 satangs.

DTAC offering tourist sim-cards, which you can order online, pay for it via credit/debit card and receive your thai sim-card in your home country. They offering worldwide delivery from Thailand to your home. Shipping time from 3 to 5 days, depending from your country. Cost of delivery is 350 baht, same for all countries. Price of these sim-cards is 299 or 599 baht, which include 100 baht for local calls and 7 or 15 days of unlimited internet.

http://store.dtac.co.th/en/happytouristsim

3 to 5 days ? Sent by drone ?

Even EMS takes more than 5 days anywhere in the world :-)

Watch out for the one you select.... the ones that offer 200 baht credit included, cost 300 baht more than buying a cheaper one and adding the credit separately!

On each of my trips to Thailand I have always bought the tourist sim card valid for 7 days with unlimited internet costing around 300baht. If I were to buy a basic sim and top-up how much internet do they come with and how long can I continue to use the credit before it expires? Also can I find out how regularly I need to top up to retain the mobile number as I will likely be spending more time out of Thailand than in?

Watch out for the one you select.... the ones that offer 200 baht credit included, cost 300 baht more than buying a cheaper one and adding the credit separately!

On each of my trips to Thailand I have always bought the tourist sim card valid for 7 days with unlimited internet costing around 300baht. If I were to buy a basic sim and top-up how much internet do they come with and how long can I continue to use the credit before it expires? Also can I find out how regularly I need to top up to retain the mobile number as I will likely be spending more time out of Thailand than in?

Well I actually don't know all the details of every single SIM and package option available in Thailand.. but they have websites.

My comment stems from someone who just came to LOS for a few days, had no need to worry about credit duration and did not require internet. Just a telephone ...... internet bolt-ons are usually cheap,especially 2G.

My credit duration extends 1 month for every top-up... so I make more small ones.

Edited by jacko45k

ALSO of INTEREST

ADDITIONAL INFO

AS LONG AS YOU ARE CONNECTED TO WiFi it does not mater what country YOU are in OR what country WHO you want to call is in as long as you BOTH are on WiFi and have the app on the phone, takes 20 seconds to sign up for the service.

ALSO you can call a regular land line in US or Canada, a land line can call you. USE a REAL email address - checked to see if valid -, if you do not answer a call, a answering machine takes your call, then, sends a voice message attachment to your email.

I am in Thailand, my friend is in Thailand, we BOTH have the app, she can call me - I can call her using OUR US numbers - NO COST!  via WiFi.   Also have a friend in Pattaya, she calls her friend in the UK each day using THEIR US number. If you need more explanation leave me a personal message.

There is a paid app that removes the small ad's at the bottom of the screen it's $4.99US.  Think of it this way, UNLIMITED phone calls from ANY country to US / Canada LAND LINE OR MOBILE, or, ANY country to ANY country VIA WiFi 24/7 at NO COST......pay the $4.99 --->>> ONE TIME CHARGE  takes 20 seconds to sign up for the service

Unbelievable, you use so many words without actually answering the question. Useless.

ALSO of INTEREST

ADDITIONAL INFO

Unbelievable, you use so many words without actually answering the question. Useless.

ALSO of INTEREST

ADDITIONAL INFO

4 people answered, Yes you can buy at airport, I just offered an additional place to buy, and an additional way to add money to you sim. At ebay you can read the promotion in advance and know what you are purchasing.

IF in US/CANADA, You can buy a Sim on ebay, Pay as you go, Have been using mine for over 1 year. Each time you RE-charge, validates the Sim for 1 year more. 2-3 weeks delivery to US and Canada ( You can buy from other countries but do not know delivery time )

So if I want a Thai mobile number to keep that can be taken to Australia and receive SMSs from my bank and for use in Thailand for the occasional call and regular Internet use which SIM should I buy?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

4 people answered, Yes you can buy at airport, I just offered an additional place to buy, and an additional way to add money to you sim. At ebay you can read the promotion in advance and know what you are purchasing.

IF in US/CANADA, You can buy a Sim on ebay, Pay as you go, Have been using mine for over 1 year. Each time you RE-charge, validates the Sim for 1 year more. 2-3 weeks delivery to US and Canada ( You can buy from other countries but do not know delivery time )

Is it possible to activate and top off these SIM cards purchased off Ebay?

Is it possible to activate and top off these SIM cards purchased off Ebay?

There are several ONLINE places you can "TOP OFF"

I contacted AIS ( via email ) in the US 4 weeks before my trip and was activated within 1 day.

I have a ANDROID phone, I use  this app  ..   https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rebtel.sendly  ...  SENDLY. - works with ANY THAILAND PROVIDER.  This is a NON US based company, I have been using their ( REBTEL INTERNATIONAL CALLING ) for over 8 years,  and the SENDLY app for around 9 months. Never had problem one with the company

Edited by edwardflory