Moving To Pattaya In August

lor

As the title says. I am due to move to Pattaya in August with my wife (thai) and 2 children. (12 and 7). Everything has been arranged and have even sorted out the school for the kids.

The wife is from Chiang Mai and she has never really liked the idea of living in Pattaya/Jomtien but she knows I love the sea so she is going along with it, and is even thinking about opening a guest house (maybe).

Problem is, every day I read something about a murder or mugging or robery etc in Pattaya and I am getting very worried. Not just for my own safety, but is this a safe place to bring up my children?

Should I give up my dream of living by the sea and move to Chiang Mai instead or is all the reports of crime just hype?

Please, you people who live in Pattaya/Jomtien, is it as dangerous as it seems? Is it a good place to bring up children? Can we have a good family life there?

I would appreciate your true opinions.

Chris

As the title says. I am due to move to Pattaya in August with my wife (thai) and 2 children. (12 and 7). Everything has been arranged and have even sorted out the school for the kids.

The wife is from Chiang Mai and she has never really liked the idea of living in Pattaya/Jomtien but she knows I love the sea so she is going along with it, and is even thinking about opening a guest house (maybe).

Problem is, every day I read something about a murder or mugging or robery etc in Pattaya and I am getting very worried. Not just for my own safety, but is this a safe place to bring up my children?

Should I give up my dream of living by the sea and move to Chiang Mai instead or is all the reports of crime just hype?

Please, you people who live in Pattaya/Jomtien, is it as dangerous as it seems? Is it a good place to bring up children? Can we have a good family life there?

Chris

Dont worry too much. Myself and my Thai wife are staying here now for 3 months and with basic precautions, same as you would take at home, this is still a quite peaceful place. However, before chosing a home, carefully check the area for burglars etc.

Wish you a nice stay here!

I,m a newcomer here myself, lor. My (Thai) wife and I moved into our house on the east side of Sukhumvit Road in early April. With that in mind, I certainly say I'm an expert.

However, it seems to me that the vast majority of the crime you read about takes place within the city limits of Pattaya, primarily in the "seedier" areas of the sois that run into Beach Road.

My suggestion to you would be to find a nice home that is either south of that area, such as in Jomtien, or well east of Sukhumvit Road, such as the Maprachan Reservoir area. In those places, I don't think you'll find the crime level to be any worse than it is anywhere in the world. The only reason we go into Pattaya is for shopping. That's during the day, or early evening. Most of the crime takes place at night, after the bars open.

Of course, Maprachan is quite a distance from the beach (about 10 kms); but Jomtien can get you closer. Just keep in mind that the closer you get to the water, the higher the property price for a nice house. It doesn't take long to drive to a nice beach.

Good luck. I believe that you can find a great home here, as long as you use your head about location.

George

Chris

Just be careful where you stay, most of the city is as safe as anywhere else.

This is spot on. Pattaya is a city; you would not move a family ( by choice ) into the rough areas of Birmingham, Manchester, Sydney etc etc. However, there are some respectable and very fine places to live in all of the above ( yes even Brum ). Same as jolly Patters, good and bad like all cities. Do not be put off by the bashers who will invade this thread, there are great places for families in Pattaya and the near vicinity. From Horses to fine beaches, all can be found here and unlike some places, you do not have to look that hard. :o

My advice is to look at Bang Saray, which is a typcially Thai fishing village about 15 kms south of Pattaya. It is very safe, with lots of lovely green rolling hills and still only 10 minutes along Sukhumvit Road from South Pattaya.

I'm not an expert about living in Pattaya but I have to agree with this comment. I've been down there and it's like a different world. Lot's of green and very beautiful. Close enough to Pattaya and Jomtien to be convenient but far enough to be away from the hectic city life.

The only reason we go into Pattaya is for shopping. That's during the day, or early evening.

Same here... although I do drive through Pattaya every morning and late afternoon to and from work.

I'd recommend the NaJomtien area (in between Bang Saray and Jomtien) if you're looking for close proximity to nice beaches... the water is much cleaner than Pattaya or Jomtien, and it's only 5 minutes drive to South Pattaya Road.

Crime? Don't worry about it. It's over-reported, and as a family man, you're unlikely to be anywhere near the areas that regularly experience crime of some nature.

I can't see you and the kids running the khatoey gauntlet down soi 6 at 1am in the morning.

Pattaya is as safe as you make it. You do something foolish anywhere and you may have to suffer the consequences.

I had a friend recently move there, leaving a good job, and he loves it. His job???

He was a tail gunner on a Budweiser truck in Los Angeles. :o

Thanks for all your replies. Not one negative. You have all made me feel a lot better about the move.

As for the sea bit. I would love to live on an island with beautifull beaches etc however. I have to compramise because firstly I need a good school for the children and I also need good infrastructure like shops and cinema etc and Internet ADSL for my job. But most importantly, because of my health I need to be not too far from a good hospital and doctors. Don't want to depress everyone but I have a condition where sometimes I need to have hospital treatment within 30 mins or I could die. Used to be 3o secs but I now have emergency adrenalin injections that I have to carry around with me!

So you see it needs to be a city. Jomtien seems to be the best place or near the reservoir if they have ADSL there and the government don't decide to extend the reservoir in the future to cope with the water demand! I had a girlfriend once. Her village was on the shore of a lake/reservoir she lived there all her life then the government decided to extend it. Her village is now under water and the families who live there was given a little money and some corregated metel sheets to build new homes. But that's getting off subject. If I get a home near Jomtien beach global warming is much more likely to put my home under water!!!! (Half joke)

Hope to see you all soon.

Chris

I agree with the other posters, Pattaya is what you make it. It's not the norm to have serious hassles and crime outside the "entertainment" areas.

If you're really concerned about security, you could try living on a compound with security guards, etc. We do - not so much because of the security but because it's convenient and we like the place. It's always another opton for you to think about.

Lor,

If you got to live by the sea, why does it have to be Patters?? You already have the lady and kids. You want your kids to see 20,000 hookers going with 20,000 bald, beer-bellied frarang everyday. You also have the big "gay factor" You want your kids to see the old fart hand-in hand-with a young boy wastleing down the beach road.? There are alot of sea towns that are better than "sin city" for a family man like yourself. Cha Am. Hua Hin, Rayong, Champon, Krabi, etc. I won't go further south, because of Muslem and Tsuinami sp threats. Up to you.

If you got to live by the sea, why does it have to be Patters?? You already have the lady and kids. You want your kids to see 20,000 hookers going with 20,000 bald, beer-bellied frarang everyday. You also have the big "gay factor" You want your kids to see the old fart hand-in hand-with a young boy wastleing down the beach road.?

:D:o

If you got to live by the sea, why does it have to be Patters?? You already have the lady and kids. You want your kids to see 20,000 hookers going with 20,000 bald, beer-bellied frarang everyday. You also have the big "gay factor" You want your kids to see the old fart hand-in hand-with a young boy wastleing down the beach road.?

:D:o

I didn't see 20,000 fat old men

As for the sea bit. I would love to live on an island with beautifull beaches etc however. I have to compramise because firstly I need a good school for the children and I also need good infrastructure like shops and cinema etc and Internet ADSL for my job. But most importantly, because of my health I need to be not too far from a good hospital and doctors. Don't want to depress everyone but I have a condition where sometimes I need to have hospital treatment within 30 mins or I could die. Used to be 3o secs but I now have emergency adrenalin injections that I have to carry around with me!

Yikes, doesn't that make a 10+ hour flight a bit complicated :o

Anyway, don't listen to all the prudes talk. Pattaya really isn't that bad. If you stay east of 2nd Road chances are you won't notice it anymore than any other city this size.

Pattaya and Jomtien beaches aren't much to write home about to be honst but if you have a car there are some very nice beaches available within half an hours drive.

For schools, hospitals, supermarkets and internet access you probably won't find anything this level anywhere outside Bangkok.

Your right about the flight! Never thought of that. But then again if I drive to scotland I could end up in a strange area where I did not know where hospitals are. If you try to think of everything you would find out that you need to be locked in a room away from anything that can bring on the problem.

That is no life. As you say about living in Pattaya, I just take sensible precautions and then try to live as normal a life as I can. My boss asked me about the illness once, after I finished telling him he was speechless and couldn't understand how I could laugh about it. It's simple really, if you don't laugh and just get on with life you would cry all the time and have no life. If the worst happens my life stops. Why should I stop my life beforhand out of fear.

Mid August is the big move. Intend to stay in a hotel for a couple of weeks/months while we find a house to rent. Our stuff should arrive in Thailand a few weeks later.

Chris

fair play to you!thats a great way you have of thinking about living life!hats off to ya!its better to laugh than cry!i wish you all the best of luck moving to thailand!am sure you will love it!i lived in pattaya for two years from age of 17 alone!i lived in a lovely house between jomtien and pattaya it was like a whole other world,only 5min from town but so green and peacefull!by the end i didnt really go into the city itself that much as everything i needed was right by me!i must say i did do a lot of stupid things but luckly nothing happend to me!i am currently living in prague in the czech republic and to be honest i felt safer in pattay than i do here at night sometimes!

again good luck with the move n all the best!

irish

Lor,

If you got to live by the sea, why does it have to be Patters?? You already have the lady and kids. You want your kids to see 20,000 hookers going with 20,000 bald, beer-bellied frarang everyday. You also have the big "gay factor" You want your kids to see the old fart hand-in hand-with a young boy wastleing down the beach road.? There are alot of sea towns that are better than "sin city" for a family man like yourself. Cha Am. Hua Hin, Rayong, Champon, Krabi, etc. I won't go further south, because of Muslem and Tsuinami sp threats. Up to you.

By the looks of it you are full of "mumbojumbo" :o

Hows that spellchecker coming on??? :D

We moved to Pattaya in the late 80s, actually living in Narklua, which then, compared with now, was a pretty sleepy place and very much a local community.

We moved out to Sriracha seven years later and after our children came along, the place had changed, we had changed, what we were looking for in a home had changed.

But, we still needed access to my work and access to the facilities that Pattaya offered, International Schools, Hospitals, Expat facilities. Sriracha was a good choice balance of the things we were looking for.

I/we would not chose to live in Pattaya now, we occassionaly visit friends, particularly neighbours we had in Narklua, but that's about it, a visit. When it comes to a place for raising a family I think we'd always choose to be some distance from Pattaya, far enough not to be in the place, close enough to have access to the Pattaya facilities.

Addressing what mumbojumbo said, well yes, the ever present sex industry was part of our reason to move away from Pattaya. Firstly and foremost our daughter was beginning to become aware of the sex industry and secondly even in our quiet soi there were occassional bust ups between drunk guys and the girls they were bringing home.

We had non of that in Sriracha.

As for crime, I think your main worry is burglary, and you are going to have that to deal with everywhere. A farang moving in any where in Thailand is like putting a flag pole up in the garden with "We've got loads of money and have no idea how to stop you thieving it".

As others have said above, common sense and regular security take care of that problem.

Edited by GuestHouse

Lor,

Interesting…this poster seems to have included sexism, misogyny, homophobia, and racism topped with a dose of paranoia all in one short, inaccurate posting…

Lor,

If you got to live by the sea, why does it have to be Patters?? You already have the lady and kids.

Maybe that's exactly why he wants to move to a place like Pattaya. He has a family, and wants to live in a place that offers a wide range of services and facilities in which to raise his family.

You want your kids to see 20,000 hookers going with 20,000 bald, beer-bellied frarang everyday. You also have the big "gay factor" You want your kids to see the old fart hand-in hand-with a young boy wastleing down the beach road.?

<rant deleted>

You've obviously got some issues to deal with. I just deleted a 20 minute rant relating to your above comments. The longer I went on, the angrier I was getting.

There are alot of sea towns that are better than "sin city" for a family man like yourself. Cha Am. Hua Hin, Rayong, Champon, Krabi, etc. I won't go further south, because of Muslem and Tsuinami sp threats. Up to you.

Do those other cities have the selection of schools, hospitals, sports facilities, shopping and entertainment venues that Pattaya does ?

And by entertainment, I was referring to cinemas, bowling alleys, paintball parks, "tourist attractions" such as the crocodile farm, Nong Nooch, ect.

Pattaya has all that and more.

More facilities/services/attractions than most of the cities you mentioned, but without the traffic/pollution and other problems that a larger place (like Bangkok) has to offer.

Always funny how the people that bash the place the most, don't live here. Jealousy ? Envy ? Or just "Holier than Thou" ? :o

Lor,

If you want to go to the beach in Pattaya with your kids, this is what will greet you. Not a pretty sight to say the least. I do wonder why you want to impose this move on your family. You already state your wife isn't too keen on the idea, she seems a wise woman and maybe you should start listening to her, after all she and the kids have a life too, dont't they or is it all about you?

We moved to Pattaya in the late 80s, actually living in Narklua, which then, compared with now, was a pretty sleepy place and very much a local community.

We moved out to Sriracha seven years later and after our children came along, the place had changed, we had changed, what we were looking for in a home had changed.

But you wouldn't move to Sri racha for the beach would you?

BarryofThailand: The school my children will be going to is the best I can afford (Which is not that much!!!) but every report I get says it is a good school. It is a bi-lingual school called "Best" B.E.S.T. - Burapha English Programme School of Thailand.

Dumpster: As for picking Pattaya/Jomtien. As already stated I need all the services a big city can provide, with the advantage of sea and sun. I also need 100% ADSL because without it I cannot work and get no income!!!! Yes I am concerned about the sex trade there mainly because I have a 7 year old daughter. Don't want to be hypercritical about it though, I mean my wife was a bar girl, everyone has to earn a living! But I am sure there are places where it's not in your face all the time.

I stayed in Pattay for about 6 months 10 years ago. I am sure it has changed but I found many places where I could take my mum with no problems. Nowdays I am not into the bar scene but I do like a good disco. If I go in England I feel like I am at a children's tea party. At least in Pattaya Discos I won't feel so out of place!

Chris

Dumpster: As for picking Pattaya/Jomtien. As already stated I need all the services a big city can provide, with the advantage of sea and sun. I also need 100% ADSL because without it I cannot work and get no income!!!! Yes I am concerned about the sex trade there mainly because I have a 7 year old daughter. Don't want to be hypercritical about it though, I mean my wife was a bar girl, everyone has to earn a living! But I am sure there are places where it's not in your face all the time.

Fair enough. admire your honesty and good luck to you and your family.

BarryofThailand: The school my children will be going to is the best I can afford (Which is not that much!!!) but every report I get says it is a good school. It is a bi-lingual school called "Best" B.E.S.T. - Burapha English Programme School of Thailand.

I stayed in Pattay for about 6 months 10 years ago. I am sure it has changed but I found many places where I could take my mum with no problems. Nowdays I am not into the bar scene but I do like a good disco. If I go in England I feel like I am at a children's tea party. At least in Pattaya Discos I won't feel so out of place!

Chris

Have you considered Sri Racha or even Bang Saen?....I don't know about the hospitals in Ban Saen but Sri Racha has 3 hospitals including a PayaThai.

No real beach in Sri Racha, but housing is cheaper than Pattaya, same goes for Bang Saen and there is a beach there....v.crowded at week-ends. Convenient for Bangkok/Chonburi too.

Samui has hospitals and is a 1 hour flight from Bkk.

I still think you'll be fine in Pattaya though

Edited by wilko

I'm still trying to work out what wastleing is!! :o Some sort of sex act? :D

As an alternative, Phuket would seem to have what you require, and if you don't live right on the beach any tsunami related fears shouldn't be a factor.