Why are there a different rules for Westerners and Asian Workers?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In the local supermarket in the UK, there was a Frenchman, German, Greek, Spaniard, Dutch, Belgium, Polish and Portagueese working there and had just arrived in the UK that morning. My Thai wife of 20 years and living in the UK for almost a year isnt allowed to work....example only..double standards or what

I would assume that is because she hasn't got her British nationality yet. Once she has, she'll also be free to work around Europe. Not double standards, it's called a fair process.

Ask the Immigration officer when you arrive next time, same time you can ask him why you have to pay 200 THB to visist a national park in Thailand when the locals pay only 40 THB.

I imagine the Immigration Officer would say Thai nationals support the parks with their taxes. Visitors do not.

Rumor is a Thai driver license or Tabien Baan will get you local admission prices at national parks, museums, etc. I have not yet put that to a test.

whistling.gif Because those Cambodian, Laotian, Myanmar, etc. workers are a "profit making resource" as low paid workers for wealthy Thais to exploit and cheat and Farang teachers are not so profitable.

You can buy those workers, or at least could pre-Junta, for the right Tea money if you know the right person in the government.

Low paid foreign workers from those countries keep the factory costs low and the profits up so the boss can afford a new Rolls Royce and an new Mia Noi.

And if the wife complains about the new Mia Noi, just give her a Gucci Bag and a "shopping trip" to Singapore or maybe Tokyo and/or Hong Kong.

It's called, "Thainess".

• Like 1

I imagine the Immigration Officer would say Thai nationals support the parks with their taxes. Visitors do not.

Rumor is a Thai driver license or Tabien Baan will get you local admission prices at national parks, museums, etc. I have not yet put that to a test.

Not a rumor, it's true...

Although, as with most things here it depends on who you get at the gate on the day :)

Although, as with most things here it depends on who you get at the gate on the day :)

Hundreds of examples of price differences depending on whether or not you are a local in the USA but I don't think it's the real issue here in Thailand.

What angers most foreigners, IMHO, is that they are immediately singled out to pay more because their race. It really irks them.

Despite a life-time of their own bigotry (and I'm using the "nice" words here); "there goes a Paki, there goes a black, there goes a Jew, there goes a Chinaman, there goes an Arab, there goes a Spaniard, there goes a Jap", they are immediately offended when someone says "Hey falang."

Now that the shoe is on the other foot and they are singled out for special treatment based only on their appearance, listen to them howl!

'nuff said

~

Edited by 'nuff said

Hundreds of examples of price differences depending on whether or not you are a local in the USA...

Yeah? Besides University tuition, I can't think of any examples of pricing based on nationality in the US. National parks charge the same price to everyone, regardless of passport. What am I missing?

~

Why do you feel just because you are a westerner you deserve more? Or same? Does your country offers equal job opportunity to foreigners?! Or offers work permit easily?!? You have have chosen to come to Thailand for what ever reason, so bare with it and stop complaining......Those Cambodian and Burmese are barely making their living here. Don't get jealous if their papers are made more easily than yours.

There are special rules for migrant workers from Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar because Thailand has a need for laborers.

I would not call it a double standard. Would you be willing to work for 300 baht a day?

Well said. I live in Phuket and have trouble finding thai people for 100 baht an hour, plenty from Burma though.

In the local supermarket in the UK, there was a Frenchman, German, Greek, Spaniard, Dutch, Belgium, Polish and Portagueese working there and had just arrived in the UK that morning. My Thai wife of 20 years and living in the UK for almost a year isnt allowed to work....example only..double standards or what

I would assume that is because she hasn't got her British nationality yet. Once she has, she'll also be free to work around Europe. Not double standards, it's called a fair process.

As said its an example.............I was comparing with the OP.He states neighbouring countries have easier access to work than Europeans, in Europe, Europeans have easier access towork than than Asians.

What kind of a visa does she have 2 year settlement ? She can start working immediately she arrives - with or without a National Insurance number, if she wanted to work she could very easily do so, there is nothing stopping her working cash in hand work ( there is tons of work in that field ) child minding, cleaning, home help, dog walking, part time au pair, translator, home massage ( the real kind ), garden help, start a cottage industry, jewellery making parties, Thai home cooking service or home cook thai takeaway delivery to local community, go sell Thai food or stuff at boot sales etc etc The options are too numerous to list.

Or volunteer work such as in a charity shop or some organisation god knows there are hundreds of thousands of those in the UK which is also perfectly legal and good experience both in work experience and the culture/language, she can study in the meantime either on or offline theres tons of free help to do this. There is no reason for her to wait until she has British Nationality to work. Just maybe not in a chain supermarket.

Why are you waiting on the government to give the green light ? she gets all NHS benefits from day one free dentist treatment and child tax credits if you have kids loads of other free stuff and help abounds including free English lessons if wanted and many other things....for a few short months she could if wanted have 0 free time and learn a massive amount. all for free and legal.

Get any of that in Thailand ? nope didnt think so, my wife was working by the second week and busy 6 days a week with either work or at some free scheme or volunteering her time when we went back to the UK originally. Double standards my ass just think a little outside the box or put some effort in.

Edited by englishoak

Although, as with most things here it depends on who you get at the gate on the day smile.png

You can get local addmission prices if you go with some locals who know the guy on the gate. There are a couple of places near my gfs village and I have never paid the foreigner price but I've always been the only farang in a car full of locals.

TBH I wouldn't mind paying a little bit extra. I can afford it more than the locals can.

Although, as with most things here it depends on who you get at the gate on the day smile.png

You can get local addmission prices if you go with some locals who know the guy on the gate. There are a couple of places near my gfs village and I have never paid the foreigner price but I've always been the only farang in a car full of locals.

TBH I wouldn't mind paying a little bit extra. I can afford it more than the locals can.

You may be able to afford more than some of the locals, however some Thai's are very wealthy, even more than the majority of Farangs, yet they would gain entry for a smaller amount of Bht.

The entry fee is not based on spending power, it's based on race. Open your eyes.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

A few have replied " If the OP were willing to work for 300 THB per day he could get that WP"

Maybe not!

There is a list of almost 40 jobs a non asian can not get in Thailand.

Many of those jobs fall into the 300 / day category.

In a Buddhist land where merit is so important, a farang can not even do volunteer work without a WP!

I can not work on the farms my wife owns and bought with my money ( I can not own the farms either )!

Some say Thais fear losing jobs to those from other countries, but it seems they don't worry about the loss to those from other S.E. Asian countries.

Maybe what they fear is losing jobs to those who come from countries where workers are motivated, conscientious, and have a western work ethic?

Some westerners have a lot of time on their hands, and would like to work just to have something to do and maybe do some good...earn some merit.

Some are willing to work for free or as little as 300 / day.

This is not permitted, or at least made very difficult to do.

I am currently trying to find employment as a ladyboy..

.but it is very hard! Even at 300 / day!post-147745-0-59495900-1405745232_thumb.

There are special rules for migrant workers from Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar because Thailand has a need for laborers.

I would not call it a double standard. Would you be willing to work for 300 baht a day?

Isn't working for 300 baht/day a personal choice, how did race come into it.

Isn't there a double standard where you are from - can a rich man from Switzerland enter England more easily than a poor man from Nigeria? The world is full of double standards… anyone who has had a girlfriend knows this…

Some would argue that a rich "man" from Nigeria could get entry easier than a poor man from Switzerland... You argument is flawed.

Isn't working for 300 baht/day a personal choice, how did race come into it.
I wouldn't have thought 300 per day was a "choice" for most.

OB

They are all from EU countries.

First, a large portion of Thais do not pay taxes....in Australia, locals and tourists all pay the same.

Secondly, so far I have NOT been allowed "local" admission prices to national parks, museums etc, I'm not saying it doesn't happen, just saying it's not guaranteed.

First, a large portion of Thais do not pay taxes....in Australia, locals and tourists all pay the same.

Secondly, so far I have NOT been allowed "local" admission prices to national parks, museums etc, I'm not saying it doesn't happen, just saying it's not guaranteed.

I think a large portion of Aussies don't pay taxes either on a net basis. Around 50% of the working population. However they are Australian citizens, much as the Thai that don't pay taxes are Thai.

OB

They are all from EU countries.

Exactly, and the Cambodians, Laotians and Burmeese the OP is talking about are all from SE.Asian countries..as they say in Thailand same same.

This is usually the case between neighbors isn't it?

As an example, I'm from Sweden, the Scandinavian countries have special agreements making everything extra simple to move and work between the countries, they are more or less as one country in that sense. The next step is the Schengen countries, very straight forward and easy, no borders really, might check your passport on the train sometimes, sometimes not. Then there's UK, still easy as hell if you come from Sweden or any other western European "Farang face" nation including USA. (Canada, Australia and NZ I take for granted due to their relationships with the UK, but to be honest I don't really know anything about the facts..)

Then there is the far west from my side, which would be USA. Still not that hard, getting a green card and work permit and all that stuff seems very easy for friends who decided to go that route, from Sweden or Norway that is.

Then there's the far east Europe + Russia. Here it can be a bit more tricky. Not as simple anymore..

Then the border of Asia appears at Turkey, Istanbul is still not too complicated to become an entrepreneur, but go further to Iran, Iraq or similar and it will not be as easy. Starts to get easier again when you end up in Pakistan and finally India, or if you go down south to Dubai or any other oil kingdom in the Arab dessert.

Looking at it this way it makes perfect sense why there's a "double standard", or even triple.

I would say:

1) Neighboring countries use to get better deals if they are on good terms, the fact that Thaland is a part of ASEAN clearly has a role in this as well.

2) More developed countries or special economical zones, like Hong Kong, tends to be more relaxed and more libertarian when it comes to Visa rules and WP's. And seems they have understood that if someone, anyone, creates a successful business, that will bring more jobs to the population and be one of many factors in an increased welfare.

3) I think Thaland still fears western money. While its fairly easy to buy land in Malaysia it's more or less impossible here. I get a feeling this is because they believe we will do some-kind of economical occupation, but instead of taking the land like the French or British Empire, this time we'll simply buy it...

It sure would be nice if I could get a 90 day exemption at a Land border like the Koreans instead of a 15 days. But since Sweden demands Thai citizens to have a proper Schengen Visa at hand to visit our nation that will never be the case... Kind of simple really.

Regional, Economical and depending on relations.

Edited by banglassie
  • Like 1

Why westerners expect privileges ?

We don't, that is simply how you believe we are. What most "westerners" expect, is to be treated fairly, same as any "foreigner" expects to be treated in western countries. If a tourist, in Australia, was treated the same as tourist in Thailand then legal action could be taken against those who single out tourists for "special" attention.

Edited by Rorri
  • Like 1

Why westerners expect privileges ?

We don't, that is simply how you believe we are. What most "westerners" expect, is to be treated fairly, same as any "foreigner" expects to be treated in western countries. If a tourist, in Australia, was treated the same as tourists in Thailand then legal action could taken against those who single out tourists for "special" attention.