Travelling once I'm finished teaching

Hi all-

I am currently teaching English here in Thailand on a nonB visa and a work permit. I recently got my visa extended until the 9th of December. However I am not planning on teaching next semester (semester ends on the 19th of September) but instead want to travel around thailand and other parts of SE Asia. I am wondering if there is any way to keep my visa valid until the 9th of december even though I won't be teaching anymore. Will not working cause my visa extension to no longer be valid? If so, what can I do to stay in Thailand until the end of December? Any help would be much appreciated!

Edited by tillitt1

You should be fine. I've never heard of a school taking your passport at the end of employment to have anything in it changed. Your stamp says you're permitted to stay until December 9. I say don't worry about it at all.

Edit: Oops just saw the part about travelling in other parts of SE asia. You'll have to buy a reentry prior to leaving for each time you want to return...think its 2000 baht at immigration.

Edited by FreedomDude

You should be fine. I've never heard of a school taking your passport at the end of employment to have anything in it changed. Your stamp says you're permitted to stay until December 9. I say don't worry about it at all.

Edit: Oops just saw the part about travelling in other parts of SE asia. You'll have to buy a reentry prior to leaving for each time you want to return...think its 2000 baht at immigration.

Thanks for the help! One other question I forgot to ask. Would there be a way I could get another visa extension after December 9th so that I could stay until about the 1st week of January?

Correct me I'm wrong but that doesn't mean he can stay here until Decemember, but that is only if he continues to teach. If he quits his job I think the work permit and visa don't remain still usable.

and if youre wrong , he's on a big overstay when he leaves

The day you finish work is the day your extension is no longer valid, you can get an extension of 7 days, or travel out and try to get a Tourist Visa in a Consulate outside of Thailand, but they might ask for flight bookings

I would put the chance of : school telling Labor Dept ----> Labor Dept telling Immigration ----> Immigration updating computer system ------> "violation" popping out when checking out at airport

at

0.01 %

Again, never heard of anyone having this type of problem.

If I am wrong, please someone point us to an example.

The day you finish work is the day your extension is no longer valid, you can get an extension of 7 days, or travel out and try to get a Tourist Visa in a Consulate outside of Thailand, but they might ask for flight bookings

Absolute, complete 100% garbage advice. You really think people leave the country precisely on their last day on the job? If the last day is Friday, I have to leave before midnight? I can't takeoff Saturday morning?

Scaremongering without any basis whatsoever pulled out of......your wishful imagination, i guess.

When I finished teaching and told my employer I was not coming back for the 2nd semester. I was told I needed to turn in my WP and leave.

They even prepared me a letter they said i would need. I left by air and was never asked for it, but know others told they couldn't leave via land. I think it has to do with tax.

Not sure what would have happened if i would have tefused to turn in my WP.

I was able to get a tourist visa after and return.

When I finished teaching and told my employer I was not coming back for the 2nd semester. I was told I needed to turn in my WP and leave.

They even prepared me a letter they said i would need. I left by air and was never asked for it, but know others told they couldn't leave via land. I think it has to do with tax.

Thanks for sharing your experience. You had to turn in your WP, but they didn't touch your passport, did they? Your non-imm visa in your passport still had the same expiration date, right?

Still would like to hear of anyone who has ever popped up on some kind of list when they tried to leave before the expiration of their work visa but AFTER their actual end of employment date.

Absolute, complete 100% garbage advice. You really think people leave the country precisely on their last day on the job? If the last day is Friday, I have to leave before midnight? I can't takeoff Saturday morning?

Scaremongering without any basis whatsoever pulled out of......your wishful imagination, i guess.

Firstly what beano described is the law and the rules. Maybe check them up first before you post such abusive comments.

Secondly in the op's situation he technically is in overstay after he finished work. The extension is only valid while he is working.

I have a friend in this very same scenario. Quit her job and presumed she could stay till her extension was up. Arrived at the border to leave and was questioned when she finished work ? She tried to bluff them and they asked For the school to fax a letter to them saying she had finished. She ended up paying overstay fine.

Now if the op goes down this root in December he will pay overstay and more than likely be banned from Thailand for 5 years for having overstayed nearly 90 days.

Hmmmm all because you said it was ok. What rubbish.

Op - do yourself a favour - when u leave your job go get a tourist visa straight away. Don't risk getting in trouble. It's not worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

Here's a sensible article on this topic: http://goo.gl/FLqHxv

According to this, a school should officially, but rarely does, take you to the immigration department and tell them your employment is over. Most schools can't be bothered. Your only risk is that you could be stopped by a police officer and after checking your passport you could be asked for the work permit to support it. If your lifestyle is one where you are often exposed to the possibility of police checks..... you drive or you visit a lot of late night clubs...you may want to just leave like others have said.

The author does conclude that you should do the right thing, get a 7 day extension and leave the country. I say, if your school doesn't take you to immigration and you don't drive or hang out in late night clubs, go for it. You'll be fine. That's my opinion, and I'm sticking with it. Even if you did have your passport checked, they would probably not insist you produce your work permit. Make a photo copy of your work permit now if it makes you feel better and always carry it with you along with a copy of your passport.

I've departed the country many, many times with my work visa still valid and never been asked a single question about my work. I've never heard of anyone else being asked about when or if they ever stopped working. I can't imagine what CiaranO's friend could have done to arouse suspicion. I don't think we have the full story there.

Edited by FreedomDude

It is not scaremongering but what the rules say. He will not have a valid permission to stay and be on overstay. Note that when the new proposed rules regarding overstay come into effect it can have serious consequences if he wants to return to Thailand.

From the immigration website:

Attention

If the alien granting extension of stay permit in The Kingdom for the reason of working at a business company/organization etc., resigns from such company / organization, his/her stay permit will be immediately terminated. As a consequence, The stay permit of his/her dependents will be terminated as well. Work Permit and Stay Permit must be revoked by competent officials.

Often immigration makes people sign a form stating this as well.

If you leave your school on good terms, they might agree to not cancel the WP (in effect you'll still be employed just not being paid) until the end of your visa or the date you decide to leave Thailand. Maybe not strictly legal, but I know many schools that have done this.

If you leave your school on good terms, they might agree to not cancel the WP (in effect you'll still be employed just not being paid) until the end of your visa or the date you decide to leave Thailand. Maybe not strictly legal, but I know many schools that have done this.

Considering they would need to pay the associated tax and social plus having to employ a replacement obtain ne WP and pay tax and socilal for them also, I would think this is highly unlikely

Considering they would need to pay the associated tax and social plus having to employ a replacement obtain ne WP and pay tax and socilal for them also, I would think this is highly unlikely

Mine did it for me.

not imagination but the truth, as known by myself and those people who know the rules and regulations.

If he left the day afterwards he is on overstay but would not be charged or even receive a stamp in his passport, after two days he would get charged for both days and stamped

Hi, I am in a similar situation. My non b visa ll go on 31 July. What should i do to get tourist visa? Actually i don´t need a visa for 90 days because of my nationality as ( Brazilian). But i don´t know how and where i can make this change. Or If a need to do it. Maybe i ll fly to another country as trip and come back. But a really lost here ...Hope i can get some answers! Thanks!

Hi, I am in a similar situation. My non b visa ll go on 31 July. What should i do to get tourist visa? Actually i don´t need a visa for 90 days because of my nationality as ( Brazilian). But i don´t know how and where i can make this change. Or If a need to do it. Maybe i ll fly to another country as trip and come back. But a really lost here ...Hope i can get some answers! Thanks!

You would just leave Thailand, enter another country and return to Thailand. You cannot get the 90 days inside Thailand itself. you get it upon entry into Thailand at the border.

• Like 1

You have to look at the "admitted until" date stamp, not the visa expiration date.

You can fly or go by land depending on where you are and you preference. Search and read the forum for more information.

If you are in good standing with the school, ask for an extended leave of absence as an unpaid employee. That way you can renew and stay well past January if you like. It won't cost the school anything. Otherwise, make a single visa run before the December deadline, and even with the new laws you are ok, since it will be your first tourist visa run. You cannot do another (after August 12), but if your information here is complete this gives you two ways to skin your cat.

Otherwise, make a single visa run before the December deadline, and even with the new laws you are ok, since it will be your first tourist visa run. You cannot do another (after August 12), but if your information here is complete this gives you two ways to skin your cat.

Will I have to worry about paying the overstay fees when I go to do my visa run if they find out that I hadn't been working? Thanks for the help.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thanks for sharing your experience. You had to turn in your WP, but they didn't touch your passport, did they? Your non-imm visa in your passport still had the same expiration date, right?

Still would like to hear of anyone who has ever popped up on some kind of list when they tried to leave before the expiration of their work visa but AFTER their actual end of employment date.

If the non-B visa is extended for purpose of work, as the OP has claimed, then that becomes invalid when the work permit is handed back. Or rather when it is cancelled by the school with the labour office.

If the OP is using a multi-entry non-B and leaves the country every 90 days for extensions, then that will remain valid up to the use by date.

FreedomDude, if your advice was followed, then you would be dropping the OP into a world of pain.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Here's a sensible article on this topic: http://goo.gl/FLqHxv

According to this, a school should officially, but rarely does, take you to the immigration department and tell them your employment is over. Most schools can't be bothered. Your only risk is that you could be stopped by a police officer and after checking your passport you could be asked for the work permit to support it. If your lifestyle is one where you are often exposed to the possibility of police checks..... you drive or you visit a lot of late night clubs...you may want to just leave like others have said.

The author does conclude that you should do the right thing, get a 7 day extension and leave the country. I say, if your school doesn't take you to immigration and you don't drive or hang out in late night clubs, go for it. You'll be fine. That's my opinion, and I'm sticking with it. Even if you did have your passport checked, they would probably not insist you produce your work permit. Make a photo copy of your work permit now if it makes you feel better and always carry it with you along with a copy of your passport.

I've departed the country many, many times with my work visa still valid and never been asked a single question about my work. I've never heard of anyone else being asked about when or if they ever stopped working. I can't imagine what CiaranO's friend could have done to arouse suspicion. I don't think we have the full story there.

It is called a computer database.