The Class System in Thailand?

David48

The Class System in Thailand?  

155 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have to agree 100% with the above comment about Chinese. I have been in the manufacturing business here for about 6 years now. All our supplier companies are owned by ethnic Chinese. They have a stranglehold on most large businesses here and this will never change. I am sure that a secondary class system exists with this group based on a number of factors. From what I have seen, they tend to treat the "Thai" workers with disdain and I hear many stories from my staff of exploitation and abuse.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would probably think that the Thai class system would be mainly based on education, social standing, and wealth, on a lesser scale, skin colour and the house you have and car you drive.

Sorry, also your job.

Thanks, very interesting wai.gif – also the conclusion at the end: whistling.gif

»Understanding this system is relevant to the promotion of human rights in Thailand today because the promotion of human rights and democracy is about the idea that all members of society are equally deserving of respect and dignity, and that all members of society have equal ability in making political choices. To promote human rights and democracy in Thai society, then means to put in place a major social transformation - from 700 years of a view where different parts of society have their proper "places," almost everyone is both a patron to someone and at the same time having someone else as a patron, to a view where participation by all members of society - is seen as truly being of positive value.«

My 5 years living here says the "class system" is solely based on how much money you have, but it's important where that money came from and the job you hold or business you own. High level government jobs, especially police, military and high level politicians are some of the highest in the system and then successful business people.

It's a sick, disgusting system and is hugely responsible for a dysfunctional government built on corruption.

The problem I have with that description is they many are talking about the HiSo's behind those people.

I checked Money connections and social standing. I also feel it is some thing you are born into. Like Thaksin never made it yet he had immense wealth and connections.

Thanks, very interesting wai.gif – also the conclusion at the end: whistling.gif

»Understanding this system is relevant to the promotion of human rights in Thailand today because the promotion of human rights and democracy is about the idea that all members of society are equally deserving of respect and dignity, and that all members of society have equal ability in making political choices. To promote human rights and democracy in Thai society, then means to put in place a major social transformation - from 700 years of a view where different parts of society have their proper "places," almost everyone is both a patron to someone and at the same time having someone else as a patron, to a view where participation by all members of society - is seen as truly being of positive value.«

And that's something that a lot of folks from the west just can't understand. Greng jai, bun khun, face are what makes Thailand what it is and no amount of western 'logic' will alter that.

My 5 years living here says the "class system" is solely based on how much money you have, but it's important where that money came from and the job you hold or business you own. High level government jobs, especially police, military and high level politicians are some of the highest in the system and then successful business people.

It's a sick, disgusting system and is hugely responsible for a dysfunctional government built on corruption.

Some is birth, some is money, and some is base power.

To see people waiing people that they know to blatantly corrupt or carrying out immoral business is frankly disgusting.

I do not think you are Thai at heart.

I cannot and will not post where you are wrong, but it goes to the top!

If you do not think there is a class system alive and well way below that level you are wrong.

I worked for a bloke who was prime minister. You should see waiter, secrateries, drivers, employees scurry around like headless chickens around him. They are respectful and petrified of him at the same time.

There are connected families, there are educated families, there are related families, there are wealthy families and there are powerful families.

• 2 weeks later...

If you hang around any of the fancy high rise office buildings at lunch or closing time you will notice something striking: almost all of the office workers in the nice clothes are fair skinned and the vast majority of them are ethnic Chinese. If you want to see darker skinned Thai people, look at the guards, janitors, parking lot attendants, restaurant workers, and vendors. It's not that way because the Thais are stupid, or lazy, or want it that way. Unless they are VERY lucky (for instance getting a MD.) There is almost no chance for them to climb the social ladder. There is a strong class system here: The 10% ethnic Chinese control the vast majority of the wealth, and they are determined to keep it that way.

What class would you define those "office workers in the nice clothes".

Are they a Class?

One's dressing is the first impression. And first impression counts.

A rich tycoon dressed in shabby t-shirt and slippers walked into a boutique, compared to a nobody dressed immaculately. Who will get the attention first?

I would tend to disagree. True Class has an air about it. Even in a T-Shirt and flip flops true class always shows through.

Remember when Oprah Winfrey went shopping in Switzerland?

I believe Oprah has the True Class air with her, unfortunately the sales woman didn't recognise her. In that case, it's the color.

I'm sorry but I find it difficult to agree. There are plenty of black African billionaires that shop in Switzerland and the Swiss are very used to them. I would think the saleswoman took her for a fat loud mouthed American black person with absolutely no class and probably thought she was a credit card scammer as well.

Just because someone is rich and famous it doesn't mean they have class or charisma. Look at Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg, I don't see any class or charisma there. I'm sure Morgan Freeman or Shirley Bassey would have been treated a lot differently because they have class.

What an idiot.