Has anyone on 28/28 or similar equal time rota actually been refused entry ?

diggerdo

More and more of my friends, working on rotation or just early retired in Thailand, are applying for the Elite Visa to stop all this hassle....

For the ones under 50 years old and not married to a Thai woman, it seems to be the easiest solution to stay in Thailand as long as money is not an issue.

On my side, I will keep trying with the stamp on arrival until I get married, hopefully by the end of this year, but in case of access denied, I will have to let go 500k THB.....

So far I didn't find any story of people refused to enter the Kingdom so, finger crossed!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recently asked some of the people i know that's coming here on rotations. All of them are having hassle. More or less guaranteed at HKT, but one also got it in BKK-SUV.

This "non existing" rule about maximum days, or maximum amount of exempt-stamps in a certain period are often mentioned.

I was told when applying for a Tourist Visa in Singapore a few days ago, that i would have to leave Thailand for at least 3 months after this visa was used. Another mate of mine who's retired (under 50 - on tourist visa) was told the same thing at the Thai embassy in Oslo.

About switching passports: This has always seemed to work for me. Same country passports with different serial numbers. Some people here claimed they are linked. Any source of that? My experience say they are not. I'm sure they can find out, but i dont think you get flagged? I also used this method back in 2006-07 when they actually had the maximum 180 days per year rule. Worked perfectly.

Same countries pp are linked by the virtue of the fact that the immigration data base search is based on name, DOB and nationality so the PP number is irrelevant plus they have a picture of your smiling mug biggrin.png

I work in Thailand but am in an out the country a lot, and have have had 3 new passports since I have been in Thailand and all my entries and exits are on their computer right back to day 1 = 14 years....

I agree with that. They are virtually guaranteed to be linked already but it's up to the Thai authorities to make anything of it. You would think that due to all the dodgy, border-hopping TEFL'ers and digital pikeys, that Immigration would have first option on using that data. But like some other countries, it may take another government agency's changing rules to prod them into using it, ie. the Revenue Department (usually).

I mean we are all paying taxes after all.... aren't we?

Entries are logged in per person (Name and DOB). Enter on a new passport and that will also register into the system under your name and photo.

A good friend works in Immigration - I asked him about this while we were out having beers.... he messaged his friend to check my details, a few mins later he showed me the photo of a computer screen, they were my Thai Immigration details over past few years, on different passports, all with my entry photo's.

The first photo had shown 4 people and myself of the same name (my name), after my friend had said which person I was, he was then sent the rest of the my information.

@ MajorTom - don't make the mistake of thinking you are smarter than the Thai Immigration... their relaxed approach does not equate to naivety.

Had a bit of an issue today when arriving from a weekend trip to HKG.

I arrived with Emirates and got the fast track card as usual. Woman started scratching her head and called in supervisor, who explained to me that I have "too many" in and out's without a visa, so system was "locked". But "no problem". Then supervisor explained that I should get a visa next time....type O, 3 month or something...

I have worked the last 5 years offshore overseas on a 28/28 rota, which is more like 25 days in TH and 31 days away. Never ever had an issue before, always got the 30 day stamp on arrival.

There is no way I can apply for a visa to Thailand in Angola where my rig is.

The thing is, I came home from the rig 10 days ago to BKK, then last Friday I went to HongKong for a wedding and arrived back here 2 hours ago. In 3 days, I plan to go to Scandinavia to see relatives, Immigration might trip again if I arrive in 10 days from now without a visa again.

Anyhow, she gave me the 30 day stamp today without any comments or anything in the passport.

Any suggestions on how to best solve this??

Thanks.

your story shows ;

you work in Angola on a platform,

But you live practically in Thailand !

Where to you pay tax ?

Usually you have to do it where you live too !

Do you pay any tax here ? no,

and you are not coming for tourism,

but u use all infrastructures for which all Thai and we farongs living here, also pay,

But U use them all without anny penny to pay !

So I think to avoid you entrance with correct Visa is correct !!

You beat me to it, I was going to ask exactly the same question, I've not heard "first hand" of anyone working equal time and entering Thailand on a Tourist Visa Exemption being refused entry (this assumes no overstay of course).

The UK Thai Embassy website (http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/55) clearly states:

20 December B.E. 2545 (2002), 18 October B.E. 2547 (2004) and 6 May B.E. 2548 (2005), passport holders from 41 countries and 1 special administrative region - Hong Kong SAR - are not required to obtain a visa when entering Thailand for tourism purposes and will be permitted to stay in Thailand for a period not exceeding 30 days on each visit. If such foreigners enter Thailand at immigration checkpoints which border neighbouring countries (overland crossing), they will be allowed to stay for 15 days each time. The exemption to this is Malaysian nationals crossing overland from Malaysia who are granted a period of stay not exceeding 30 days each time.

Foreigners who enter Thailand under the Tourist Visa Exemption category and would like to leave and re-enter may only stay for a cumulative duration which does not exceed 90 days and is within a 6-month period from the date of first entry. (Passport or travel document must be valid for at least 6 months after the date of first entry).

Foreigners entering Thailand under the Tourist Visa Exemption category must provide proof of adequate finances for the duration of stay in Thailand at the port of entry (i.e., traveller’s cheque or cash equivalent to 10,000 Baht per person and 20,000 Baht per family).

Foreigners entering Thailand by any means under the Tourist Visa Exemption category are required at the port of entry to have proof of onward travel (confirmed air, train, bus or boat tickets) to leave Thailand within 30 days of the arrival date (otherwise a tourist visa must be obtained).

The Thai Embassy website (http://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/changes-visa-exempt.php) does not stipulate a timeframe, they both tell you, that you "may" be asked to show onward travel tickets and to prove that you have enough funds for your stay.

Be interested how you define whether you are tourist or not, coming to a country for 30 days (or less), 6 times a year and spending your money, seems to fall into that category for me anyway.

So please share any experiences of rotational travellers who abide by the tourist visa exemption rules that have been refused entry.

if you would be a real tourist, you would not have a problem,

pay tax and you will be somewhere in HOME !! where you stay, if not work !!

I recently asked some of the people i know that's coming here on rotations. All of them are having hassle. More or less guaranteed at HKT, but one also got it in BKK-SUV.

This "non existing" rule about maximum days, or maximum amount of exempt-stamps in a certain period are often mentioned.

I was told when applying for a Tourist Visa in Singapore a few days ago, that i would have to leave Thailand for at least 3 months after this visa was used. Another mate of mine who's retired (under 50 - on tourist visa) was told the same thing at the Thai embassy in Oslo.

About switching passports: This has always seemed to work for me. Same country passports with different serial numbers. Some people here claimed they are linked. Any source of that? My experience say they are not. I'm sure they can find out, but i dont think you get flagged? I also used this method back in 2006-07 when they actually had the maximum 180 days per year rule. Worked perfectly.

Same countries pp are linked by the virtue of the fact that the immigration data base search is based on name, DOB and nationality so the PP number is irrelevant plus they have a picture of your smiling mug biggrin.png

I work in Thailand but am in an out the country a lot, and have have had 3 new passports since I have been in Thailand and all my entries and exits are on their computer right back to day 1 = 14 years....

I agree with that. They are virtually guaranteed to be linked already but it's up to the Thai authorities to make anything of it. You would think that due to all the dodgy, border-hopping TEFL'ers and digital pikeys, that Immigration would have first option on using that data. But like some other countries, it may take another government agency's changing rules to prod them into using it, ie. the Revenue Department (usually).

But where you pay taxes ? here in Thailand ??

show your income declaration !

From most Eu countries to get tax free if work abroad ,

you must be there min 1 calendar month -

and this also from 1st till 31st of a month !!

I arrived with Emirates and got the fast track card as usual. Woman started scratching her head and called in supervisor, who explained to me that I have "too many" in and out's without a visa, so system was "locked". But "no problem". Then supervisor explained that I should get a visa next time....type O, 3 month or something...

I have worked the last 5 years offshore overseas on a 28/28 rota, which is more like 25 days in TH and 31 days away. Never ever had an issue before, always got the 30 day stamp on arrival.

The thing is, I came home from the rig 10 days ago to BKK, then last Friday I went to HongKong for a wedding and arrived back here 2 hours ago. In 3 days, I plan to go to Scandinavia to see relatives, Immigration might trip again if I arrive in 10 days from now without a visa again.

Anyhow, she gave me the 30 day stamp today without any comments or anything in the passport.

Thanks.

your story shows ;

Where to you pay tax ?

but u use all infrastructures for which all Thai and we farongs living here, also pay,

He will be paying his tax (or somebody will be) in Angola, and if he is not working in Thailand he us under no obligation to pay tax here, and further one suspects he is not in Thailand exceeding 180 days pa, therefore cannot be resident for tax purposes in Thailand, so your commenting on topics you know nothing about

But where you pay taxes ? here in Thailand ??

show your income declaration !

From most Eu countries to get tax free if work abroad ,

you must be there min 1 calendar month -

and this also from 1st till 31st of a month !!

Stop talking poo and how much tax do you pay in Thailand ?

Most overseas workers who are choosing to live in Thailand probably can easily afford the 5 year Thailand Elite visa for 500K baht.

I highly recommend it. For the petroleum workers, the cost is almost certainly less than one rotation's earnings.

I have worked 6/3 and 6/2 for a number of years every time entering on a 30 day visa. Never had a problem. There again I have always had a work permit for the country in which I was working. I think the problem occurs, or so we have been told, if you dont have a work permit for another country in your passport

Thanks.

your story shows ;

Where to you pay tax ?

What the heck are you smoking?? Do you even know the tax rules in TH?? I do pay tax in Angola yes, and since I am not in the Kingdom over 180 days per year, I don't have to pay tax here.

Years ago when I worked 10 weeks on/off, I went to the tax department to clear this out and start paying tax, they basically threw me out since I didn't work in TH and wasn't spending over 180 days there.

I spend millions of baht in Thailand every year, I think I have all the right in the world to be there a few months per year.

Most overseas workers who are choosing to live in Thailand probably can easily afford the 5 year Thailand Elite visa for 500K baht.

I highly recommend it. For the petroleum workers, the cost is almost certainly less than one rotation's earnings.

I sent in the application today. Takes about 2 days to get cleared by immigration, then payment, then another 10-14 days for "Elite" to complete it.

It's a bit less yes than a monthly pay, 100k per year is not that much anyway.

I've been in and out on 28/28 since early 2007. Never had a problem BUT I've always had a Non Imm O visa based on marriage.

My advice, if you are British, would be to get a second passport next time you are back in the UK. Then if it all went tits up you could alternate passports each trip in.

Or do the decent thing and marry that sweet young thing and get a Non Imm O visa, that gets you stamped in for three months!

I've been in and out on 28/28 since early 2007. Never had a problem BUT I've always had a Non Imm O visa based on marriage.

My advice, if you are British, would be to get a second passport next time you are back in the UK. Then if it all went tits up you could alternate passports each trip in.

Or do the decent thing and marry that sweet young thing and get a Non Imm O visa, that gets you stamped in for three months!

Not British but Finnish. I have a second PP that I use for entry + visa to Angola. I don't feel safe in trying to outsmart them my flipping passports, might backfire on me.

As said earlier in the thread, they would know the person carries multiple PP's.

Had a beer with a mate of mine tonight that flew into Don Muang this afternoon at around 16:00 hrs is working 28/28 in Malaysia. He was questioned by immigration regarding his entries into Thailand. He says they where more interested in his expired Thai Work Permits from when he was working here a couple of years ago. They asked if he was coming in for work he said no & showed them the Malaysian work permit in his passport. They where happy with that.

From our discussion he wasn't overly concerned about his next trip in but he agrees that who knows what will be the norm next month. My advice was to get a second passport ( completely allowable, I have 2) use a different one next time coming in.

But just be aware that you have to exit on the same passport you entered in on.

What you say when you arrive is one determining factor. Be as concise as possible. Any words you say are just avenues for them. eg Why are you here? "Tourism". "Tourism and to see my wife" is a bad answer imo - as an example, those would both require different visas, and are "avenues" to be questioned and denied.

¨Why you come Thailand?¨

¨Thailand number one, long live the King¨

¨OK¨

whistling.gif

Thanks.

your story shows ;

Where to you pay tax ?

our story shows ;

Where to you pay tax ?Thailand (every time he buys something) As long as he chooses to not take the discount price !!

And the country he works in and possibly his country of nationality as well!!

Do you pay any tax here ? no,WRONG!!!!! EVERY Thai business has to submit their VAT revenue EVERY month whistling.gif

and you are not coming for tourism, No he is entering on a permit to stay (Visa exempt) for 30 days. Which he is quite entitled to do

but u use all infrastructures for which all Thai and we farongs living here, also pay, You are joking right? The Thai tax system is probably the most abused I have ever seen!!!

But U use them all without anny penny to pay ! BELIEVE me when I say, he is paying every day he stays here.....

So I think to avoid you entrance with correct Visa is correct !! You seem VERY jaded, had a bad experience here have we?

Trust me when I say this EVERY Farang that resides her on any sort of permanent basis has paid, one way or another!! I don´t see why you are fixated on the tax view (unless you are Thai), but if he is not working here in Thailand, and chooses to spend the sort of money that a reasonably well off man would and should be encouraged to spend his money here. After all the country benefits from all of the VAT that he pays, as well as all of the other benefits he (financially) brings with him.

Two passports makes no difference, doesn't help in the least, Thai immigration have all your entries on computer irrespective of which passport or how many passports you use

some one is wasting their money getting a second British passport solely for the purpose of trying to con Thai immigration, they are not stupid

If not married or can't be arsed getting a visa every 90 days then the 500k Thai Elite thing is the way to go

The key word is "Tourism". Actually, anyone who likes to enter Thailand for other puropses are asked to apply for an appropriate visa. This is the under-lining purpose with the 30 days visa exempt. One should therefore not be surpriced if one is not a genuine tourist and being refused.

The key word is "Tourism". Actually, anyone who likes to enter Thailand for other puropses are asked to apply for an appropriate visa. This is the under-lining purpose with the 30 days visa exempt. One should therefore not be surpriced if one is not a genuine tourist and being refused.

If an offshore guy decides to spend his 28 off in Thailand, has no wife, condo etc ie has no direct ties then of course the person can be genuine tourist and 30 visa waivers can apply

Of course if said person is married to a Thai national / has house / condo etc then you do have a point, they should consider getting a visa

The point being one size doesn't fit all, lest not forget why immigration is doing things like this because there are people living in Thailand long term and working illegally or have no visible means of support abusing the waiver/ed visa systems

I have absolutely no doubt Thai Immigration has a record of all my entries and exits. Regardless, switching passports has worked for me.

When you queue up at the immigration desk at the airport, do they search this list every time? for all your duplicates/old passports? How many guys have similar names? d.o.b? I have friends who have been advised BY immigration to get a new passport, because of too many stamps.. One also got the dreaded I-O stamp. Renewed his passport. Has not had a problem since.

Also: Im not trying to cheat the system. Im a real tourist who has never worked in Thailand. Never overstayed. Just trying to avoid being stuck by the rules of maximum entries/days, that either dont exist, are secret, or floating/depending on todays mood etc.

I have absolutely no doubt Thai Immigration has a record of all my entries and exits. Regardless, switching passports has worked for me.

When you queue up at the immigration desk at the airport, do they search this list every time? for all your duplicates/old passports? How many guys have similar names? d.o.b? I have friends who have been advised BY immigration to get a new passport, because of too many stamps.. One also got the dreaded I-O stamp. Renewed his passport. Has not had a problem since.

Also: Im not trying to cheat the system. Im a real tourist who has never worked in Thailand. Never overstayed. Just trying to avoid being stuck by the rules of maximum entries/days, that either dont exist, are secret, or floating/depending on todays mood etc.

Why would they have to search all the lists ? A database can be programmed to thrown up what ever information they want to see if they are worried about the number of entries in say last 12 months that becomes a default search

How many identical people statistically with a name like John Smith / DOB XYZ / British pp have entered Thailand in the last 12 months for example ? Not many if any and lest not forget they have a picture of your smiling mug

But let's say worst case in the example above throws up 3 people then the photo confirms who the person is

So on some very limited data they can confirm who the person is in the database and they haven't even used a pp number in the search and it would take literally seconds to do

No one is suggesting new rules limiting the number of entries, seems they are flagging people with "excessive" numbers of visa waiver entries and telling them to get a proper visa

But let's say for a minute they re-enacted the old rule of limited the number of days in Thailand in a 12 month period as they had for a while a few years ago, even this wouldn't hinder the average offshore guy as most are working 180 days/yr plus anyway

I think a lot of the recent problems are not caused by offshore workers returning to Thailand for R&R - it is caused by expat workers coming here and working without a permit.

There are literally hundreds of guys (all nationalities but a lot of Aussies) working in Sattahip, Laemchabang etc on supervising the fabrication of approx US$20 billion of LNG modules for transport to Australia (Gladstone x 3, Pluto, Wheatstone etc).

Their roster is 28/9 so they can come in on the 30 day visa exempt as tourists and do 28 days work and then head home for R&R.

This has been going on for years and I am positive it is still going on now.

I have just spent 3 years in Malaysia on Subsea manifolds with a work permit and paying Malaysian taxes (28/9 roster).

Every single manager, engineer, specialist who came to visit the job temporarily (sometimes 1 day, sometimes 1 week, sometimes 1 month) came from Australia into Malaysia on a visa exempt entry (tourist).

It is no wonder the Thai's are cracking down but it appears they are hitting the wrong people.

IMHO, Thai immigration are doing all this story with the exemption stamp to push as much Offshore worker as they can to buy their Elite Visa.... and it works!

So easy to spot during the passport control, no access denied because these poeple are usually good contributor to the economy...

But with a bit of..... guidance.... let's try to get more money from them....

IMHO, Thai immigration are doing all this story with the exemption stamp to push as much Offshore worker as they can to buy their Elite Visa.... and it works!

So easy to spot during the passport control, no access denied because these poeple are usually good contributor to the economy...

But with a bit of..... guidance.... let's try to get more money from them....

I don't believe that for a second, all that's happened is that they are scrutinising people who appear to be using visa waivers excessively and O&G guys fall into that demographic/profile that's all

No one has been told to go and get a TE visa, what they have been told is get a proper visa

Let's face it, if an offshore guy is married in Thailand, has properties and spends all their off time in Thailand, for all intents and purposes they are living in Thailand, so it follows they get a visa appropriate to their circumstances and that's all immigration is saying

I think a lot of the recent problems are not caused by offshore workers returning to Thailand for R&R - it is caused by expat workers coming here and working without a permit.

There are literally hundreds of guys (all nationalities but a lot of Aussies) working in Sattahip, Laemchabang etc on supervising the fabrication of approx US$20 billion of LNG modules for transport to Australia (Gladstone x 3, Pluto, Wheatstone etc).

Their roster is 28/9 so they can come in on the 30 day visa exempt as tourists and do 28 days work and then head home for R&R.

This has been going on for years and I am positive it is still going on now.

I have just spent 3 years in Malaysia on Subsea manifolds with a work permit and paying Malaysian taxes (28/9 roster).

Every single manager, engineer, specialist who came to visit the job temporarily (sometimes 1 day, sometimes 1 week, sometimes 1 month) came from Australia into Malaysia on a visa exempt entry (tourist).

It is no wonder the Thai's are cracking down but it appears they are hitting the wrong people.

Having worked O&G here for many years, there was a clamp down on exactly what your talking about ie guys working here on 28/28 swings without work permits in around 2003 -4, I think it was, immigration even flew offshore and was rounding up people doing this, all the operators in Thailand were warned at the time about people working offshore without WP's,

but one of the other issues was people working as "marine crew" outside the "12 mile limit" technically don't require WP's eg cargo ships coming into Thailand don't require WP for the crew, and companies were using that loop hole as to not get WP's which really confused the situation

Obviously the above doesn't apply to onshore projects

whistling.gif The whole thing is that the software program for entries has been modified to "notice" those who repeatedly enter Thailand and make note of those by highlighting their names and I.D.'s on repeated entries.

So if you are doing a 28/28 on-off rotation you are going to be noticed and flagged on the computer.

That will probably mean that at some point you will be taken aside for some (hopefully polite) questioning.

I made a suggestion before on this forum, that if you are employed offshore and are on a rotation schedule you should at least attempt to get some kind of letter from your company:s personnel office identifying you as an employee of that company and stating that you are employed on a regular rotation schedule and will re-enter Thailand often.

I would try to get such a letter on the company letterhead and have it translated into Thai even if you yourself have to pay for the translation.

I would have such a letter laminated in a plastic cover, and make it a practice to always have that company letter when I entered Thailand.

It might not work, but anything that looks official probably won't hurt . At least it is worth a try.

This is called CYAP, or Cover Your A-- With Paper.....and is a standard tactic used to deal with government officials anywhere in the world.

Archived