Questions about private health and accident cover

davejonesbkk

I have a few questions about the above:

Are there any packages available that cover both health and accident for couples (Thai and Foreign)?

I dont really know much about how these things work, does it mean that everything is covered? So for example if either of us are sick we just go to the hospital and we dont have to pay anything? I guess there's usually some fine print to read and be careful of?

Does health cover major illnesses such as cancer?

Would it be better to get a joint package or individual ones? For myself Im really not worried about my health as throughout my life Ive barely ever been sick and Im fairly healthy so just want accident cover in case I get hit by a car or something. I would want both for my gf though as her health isnt great and I worry about things in the future for her.

Anything else I should know about before buying this?

thanks

I am not aware of anyplace offering joint packages, would have to get 2 individual ones. However a Thai is already fully covered under Thailand's universal health care scheme.

Policies vary in what they cover and depending on the insurance company and hospital, may or may not have a direct billing arrangement or you might have to pay upfront and be reimbursed.

Policies that include outpatient care are prohinitively expensive and it is usually not worth it, most people opt for just inpatient cover which means you will have tio pay the fuill cost for outpatient treatment yourself.

BUPA Thailand is probably the largest local insurer and most hospitals have a direct billing arrangement with them, you can get a quote from their website. Look only at plans with at least 2 million (preferably 5) cover per incident i.e. Platinum plan.

Note that no insurance will cover for any pre-existing condition.

If you are going to be in Thailand for a year or less, consider travel insurance instead, which will cover both inpatient and outpatient. World Nomads is very good, there is a $100 deductible per illness/event and then everything else is covered (including I think outpatient medications) . but they too will not include anything pre-existing.