ford ranger 6 speed auto problem

We have a problem with the auto trans not changing gear usually when the engine and trasmission are cold

but not always

To fix the problem you have to stop and turn of the engine and start again

Had it into ford and they mentioned a cable that joins the engine and auto control modules was causing the

problem, they played around with the cable but did not replace it, i asked why and was told a report has to be

sent to ford and they have to authorize the replacement part and we still have the problem

The salesman who sold us the pickup told my wife he knows of other people who have had the same problem

Has anyone else had the same problem and how did they fix it if ford does, still plenty of warranty left and i

want the problem fixed before the warrantee expires

Get onto Ford HQ and see what happens.

I would be taking it back to the dealer with a smile every day until they fixed it.

How old is the motor ?

2 guys in our village have late models and tey don'have any trouble, well not yet.biggrin.png

Get onto Ford HQ and see what happens.

I would be taking it back to the dealer with a smile every day until they fixed it.

How old is the motor ?

2 guys in our village have late models and tey don'have any trouble, well not yet.biggrin.png

I have contacted the ford representative for the south of Thailand and next time

we go into the dealer to try and get the problem fixed he said to phone him

Can only smile for so long when they park your vehicle in a out of the way place

and do no work on it for hours, I just told them to give me back the vehicle

Took delivery Sept 2012, under 2 years old done 29000 KLM

Wiltrak 2.2 auto 4x4, first one delivered to Phuket

Sounds like a design fault on the routing of the cable.

Contact the rep again make a complaint and ask him where can you take to get it fixed, telling him your local dealer is unhelpful.

Don't know where you located but are you able to try other dealership.

Sounds like a design fault on the routing of the cable.

Contact the rep again make a complaint and ask him where can you take to get it fixed, telling him your local dealer is unhelpful.

Don't know where you located but are you able to try other dealership.

Located in Phuket and only one local dealer

Wife already gave him a ear bashing about the local service dept and told him we and one of our friends

will not be buying another ford

Not necessarily true as I have had problems with other makes of new vehicles, depends how they sort

the problem out

Dealers do not like doing warranty work, they are not paid much for it

Only playing up on the odd occasion at present, I will wait till its happening more often or closer to when the

warranty expires, They should have a record of the problem at the dealership

Edited by nedkellylives

Problems with a Toyota................w00t.gif (excluding rads)....smile.png

Joking aside, who makes this box, is it a Ford design or who.......?

biggest problem I have ever had with a new vehicle was with a

Toyota Hi Ace van, they had to replace the piston rings under warranty,

it was burning 2 litres of oil every 1000 KLM

Are makes have problems at some time or other

The part you are having trouble with is made by Omaya Fuji Isuzu.....it doesn't like being fitted to a Ford. biggrin.png

You could be right, happened again on the way to the beach this morning

I will wait until the engine warning light comes on like it did the second time it

happened and have ford Phuket look at it again

They should know what part is causing the problem and replace it which they cannot do without

fords permission

Bit of a joke you would think Ford would be more interested in happy customers than the cost of

a replacement part, Toyota did not want to replace a part for me under warranty but ended up

doing so on a Vious when I told them I would post it on the Internet

the same thing happens in Australia as well with warranty work from previous experience

• Like 1

It seems its not a common problem as no one else on the forum has had the

same problem with their current model Ford or Mazda pickups

Vehicle is great to drive and looks good, just the ford service department needs

improving with their servicing and waiting times, more service staff would fix this

• Like 1

It seems its not a common problem as no one else on the forum has had the

same problem with their current model Ford or Mazda pickups

Vehicle is great to drive and looks good, just the ford service department needs

improving with their servicing and waiting times, more service staff would fix this

We get lots of negative posts here regarding Ford aftercare, so your not alone.sad.png

• Like 2

Its a FORD what do you expect?facepalm.gif.pagespeed.ce.EuN79TyYk_.giffacepalm.gif.pagespeed.ce.EuN79TyYk_.gif

Trade it in on a TOYOTA and have happy motoring.xtongue.png.pagespeed.ic.JwCxzAWj6x.png

Well if you ever go to Sukhothai Toyota you wouldn't be happy for long.biggrin.png

The Ford workshop here has a good reputation.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Took the ranger in with the ongoing transmission problem again to the ford dealer in Phuket

on 31/07,they said to leave it with them for a day or so and they would sort out the problem

did not hear back from them so phoned on the 2/8 and was told they had found the problem and

ordered a new part from Bangkok, phoned the area manager for southern Thailand today 8/7 and

was told by him he would check into it and the part might not be available at present

Asked why the dealer could not take the part from one of the ford rangers in stock and

then replace it when it became available and was told they would not do that (they had 8 rangers in stock)

Really like the vehicle but will not buy another ford unless they improve their warranty service

The vehicle is still driveable but you have to stop and start the engine once or twice on the edge

of the road to get the transmission working and changing gears properly, real pain in heavy traffic

• Like 1

The vehicle is still driveable but you have to stop and start the engine once or twice on the edge

of the road to get the transmission working and changing gears properly, real pain in heavy traffic

Is this "after" they fixed it.....?

Things like this are always a pain, just hope they really found the problem this time. Intermittent problems can be difficult to diagnose, and a wrong diagnosis is still a possibility.

I do agree with them though not to take it from a new stock car.

They said they had fixed it the first time in, which they did not even though it was in the workshop for 7 hours

Second time in I drove away in disgust after they told me to bring the vehicle in straight away and they had not looked at it

for 3 hours but had it parked in a back corner

It seems they had the necessary part for new vehicles as they keep delivering them but not for a vehicle under warranty

Why not take to another Ford dealership to see if you can get a fresh start.

Sounds like they want leave it until your warranty has run out.biggrin.png

Still over a year left on warranty so they will be waiting a long time

There is only one ford dealer in Phuket, there is another one in the first

town up the coast once you leave the island, they have just built a large

new showroom there so probably no money left to employ qualified auto technicians

just grease monkeys, only a couple of people seem to know what they are doing in

the Phuket ford dealership, not the type of service I am used to from new car dealerships

Were you able to get in contact with the "head corporate technician/engineer?"

I find that most problems through warranty would need to be gone through this guy for the diagnosis and for the actual "ok" for the warranty. But problem is, most dealers will try to eat up the case and not report it higher unless the customer really causes a big ruckus. I don't know which stage you are in now. Basically all of the normal technicians at your Phuket dealer does only the usual maintenance and repairs. And this "corporate engineer" comes maybe once a week or once a month, on request only maybe? I had a problem with my cvt on my teana, and these were the steps.

Hope you get your trans fixed man. I really feel for ya. To spend so much money on something to only be disappointed by the aftercare service.

• Like 1

They said they had fixed it the first time in, which they did not even though it was in the workshop for 7 hours

Second time in I drove away in disgust after they told me to bring the vehicle in straight away and they had not looked at it

It seems they had the necessary part for new vehicles as they keep delivering them but not for a vehicle under warranty

What would they charge to fix the problem without the warranty?

What would they charge to fix the problem without the warranty?

I do not know and why should I its a warranty claim

Wife has been on to ford Thailand and the local dealer phoned her and said the required part will arrive in Phuket on Saturday

Engine warning light coming on again today. third time its happened now but waste of time going to see the dealer until the new

part arrives

Edited by nedkellylives

You tried e-mailing Ford in Bangkok ?

I had a complaint about their dealer and their lack of customer care.

Received a telephone call the next day from said dealer and everything was sorted.

It wasn't on the scale of the OP problem.

You tried e-mailing Ford in Bangkok ?

I had a complaint about their dealer and their lack of customer care.

Received a telephone call the next day from said dealer and everything was sorted.

It wasn't on the scale of the OP problem.

Wife phoned ford and gave them a real roasting about their parts supply, warranty and service

Will find out on Saturday if part arrives and problem is fixed

Had the problem for about 2 months now and are not happy with ford service

They new what part was causing the problem from the start and would not replace it at that time