28/28 rotations: is there a maximum of 30 day visa on arrivals per year?

To the guys on 28/28 rotation basis who rotate through on a 30 day visa exempt deal. Do you happen to have any stories of guys being stopped or sent back? Is there a maximum on how many of these visa exempt stamps you can have? I am not clear on this. Shouldn't be any issues since we don't do back to back visas or border runs and we earn our money overseas (can prove employment). Anyone have any information? I am flying in on Wednesday night and don't want any surprises. Otherwise I will instruct company logistics to send me to HK where I can grab a Tourist visa.

Edited by apalink_thailand
  • Like 1

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That info on the Thai embassy website is out of date by almost 6 years. The 90 days in 6 months rule went away when 15 day border crossings were started.

See this on MFA website: http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15396-Tourist-Visa-Exemption.html

That info on the Thai embassy website is out of date by almost 6 years. The 90 days in 6 months rule went away when 15 day border crossings were started.

See this on MFA website: http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15396-Tourist-Visa-Exemption.html

Thanks, the information is pretty similar to the second link I posted (http://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/changes-visa-exempt.php) on the original post, might be worth merging these two posts into one, and would be good to hear from someone who has actually been allowed or refused entry.

Its all pretty confusing. I am making plans now to have our logistics people send me to HK instead, unless I get some good intel on this. 

Agreed and no reliable information, at the moment, I asked our HR to look into it and the two links I posted were all I got...... I'm coming into Thailand next week, so will post an update after that ^^

My mate came through Swampy in the last hour with many tourist exempt, Cambodian in and outs etc.

He's a 28/28.

All he got was a smile and his passport stamped

Great to hear and I suspect this will be a valuable thread..

However crunch date is August 12.. Not now..

Until this thread is full of happy posts late august I would not be relaxed.
  • Like 2

My mate came through Swampy in the last hour with many tourist exempt, Cambodian in and outs etc.

He's a 28/28.

All he got was a smile and his passport stamped

Great to hear and I suspect this will be a valuable thread..

However crunch date is August 12.. Not now..

Until this thread is full of happy posts late august I would not be relaxed.

Totally agree. But we must remember there are 100's of oil guys coming in every day and we have yet to here of one properly confirmed that has been knocked back And sent back to where they came from or told to fly elsewhere
  • Like 1

Here's another one from a Phuket based oil and gas guy on Facebook... Slight twist..

He's already here on a 30 day.. His work has been put back.. He went to immigration and asked for advice..

They say he can't border run by land or air as he has loads of stamps and that will be an out in.. He can't go get a tourist visa as that will be back to back according to Phuket immigration.. So now he's going to be separated from his family and go wait in Laos until his work rotation sorts itself out.

Yes his current stay going beyond 30 days is a special case, but that happens with oil and gas.. But when it does, what's the options then ??

Here's another one from a Phuket based oil and gas guy on Facebook... Slight twist..

He's already here on a 30 day.. His work has been put back.. He went to immigration and asked for advice..

They say he can't border run by land or air as he has loads of stamps and that will be an out in.. He can't go get a tourist visa as that will be back to back according to Phuket immigration.. So now he's going to be separated from his family and go wait in Laos until his work rotation sorts itself out.

Yes his current stay going beyond 30 days is a special case, but that happens with oil and gas.. But when it does, what's the options then ??

Hi LivinLOS,

He could applied for an extension (only 7 days, I think), depending on how long he was going to be over his 30 of course, or he can surely go in and out, but come back some days later (again dependant on how long he has to wait on return to work).

I regularly go out of LOS on my 28 at home and come back in (prior to the crack down of course).

If he has family, as in legal wife or child, he can get a 60-days extension at immigration on that basis. Minimal paper work required. And, 12 months with more paperwork and proof of funds or income.

If he doesn't, first of all he can get a 7-days extension for 1,900 Bt, then leave to Laos (not Malaysia) via land. The officer stamping him out will tell him if he can be re-admitted on a visa exempt or tourist visa. The latter would be preferred, because once extended to 90 days, can be used again with a re-entry permit.

I think that is nonsense from Phuket immigration.

I it was me I would head for Vientiane and get a tourist visa and come back with it. Because I am confident.that an entry would not be a problem.

The only reports of people being turned back with tourist visas has been in the south,

• Like 1

If he has family, as in legal wife or child, he can get a 60-days extension at immigration on that basis. Minimal paper work required. And, 12 months with more paperwork and proof of funds or income.

If he doesn't, first of all he can get a 7-days extension for 1,900 Bt, then leave to Laos (not Malaysia) via land. The officer stamping him out will tell him if he can be re-admitted on a visa exempt or tourist visa. The latter would be preferred, because once extended to 90 days, can be used again with a re-entry permit.

His wife is undocumented.. He's been trying to legalize her to get married for years.. She has no birth papers etc and can't get her into either the Thai or Laos system.. He's also now adopted an abandoned baby.. He really does make life hard.. He has no way to get legal with his family scene.

I told him about the 7 day extension.. Waiting to hear if he's already using it..

I think that is nonsense from Phuket immigration.
I it was me I would head for Vientiane and get a tourist visa and come back with it. Because I am confident.that an entry would not be a problem.
The only reports of people being turned back with tourist visas has been in the south,

I sort of agree.. Despite what Phuket are saying.. If he comes back through Bangkok it should work..

This would indeed be an "out/in"  and from what I can tell, that is what the crackdown is all about. I wouldn't do any of it and wait in Laos or where-ever, just to avoid more problems on his next arrival.

Let me add.. As far as I know, he asked about going to Penang to get a tourist visa, as that's where most go from Phuket.. And was told that won't work.

Flying to Laos for his TR may not be what Phuket considered.

And a variation on that is a guy who does 28/28 and while in Thailand goes to Singapore for a weekend on say day 14, returns day 16 - legit break, maybe to attend an event (GP or similar) - refused entry due to plethora of exemptions and that one being a 2 day in/out? Seems ridiculous but clearly a risk ....
  • Like 2

This would indeed be an "out/in"  and from what I can tell, that is what the crackdown is all about. I wouldn't do any of it and wait in Laos or where-ever, just to avoid more problems on his next arrival.

The out/in only applies to visa exempt entries not tourist visas. Getting a tourist visa would end the problem unless he make the mistake of entering at a southern border crossing.

The out/in only applies to visa exempt entries not tourist visas. Getting a tourist visa would end the problem unless he make the mistake of entering at a southern border crossing.

Which is where a Phuket person would logically go..

His wife is undocumented.. He's been trying to legalize her to get married for years.. She has no birth papers etc and can't get her into either the Thai or Laos system.. He's also now adopted an abandoned baby.. He really does make life hard.. He has no way to get legal with his family scene.

Perhaps a long shot but in the past there have been organizations that helped in some cases
http://asiafoundation.org/resources/pdfs/TsumaniSeriesDNA2pager2.pdf
Maybe they have some advice.

There no is no limit on the number of entries you can do in a year. 

A 28/28 rotation does not fit what immigration will be looking for.

They will will be looking for out/in entries. That means a departure and re-entry for no other purpose than getting another visa exempt entry,

There has been no confirmed reports of anybody doing a rotation like yours being denied entry.

I simpley don't agree... 

I really like this forum, and it's the best sub-forum, when it comes to seriousness of posts, advice given, moderation, etc.

But I feel that especially UbonJoe, is talking the Visa exempt situation too lightly. As we have seen many consulate and embassies write, that the visa exempt are for tourism only.

Almost everywhere in the world, with big tourist destinations, the exempt scheme is designed for package tourists, so they don't have the hassle with applying for visas. This is was also exactly what the Thai embassy in Copenhagen, informed me personally, friday morning.

And it's not true, that we have not heard about people having problems. Both the people refused at Suvarnabhumi was in this situation, as was the guy in Krabi (the "south" thing was for land borders, if you believe Thai immigration).

But I think we have to stop looking, at the different individual incidents, and start looking at the actual legislation. As we seen now, things go pretty fast when they start to actually follow the law. This time it looks like they will do that, and they shown us that further regulation can come pretty fast too.

And I think that most of us agree, that when we have apartments, cars, condo's, etc. here - and Thailand is where we spend the majority of time "off work" - we are no longer tourists, especially not the ones the exempt is meant for!

The whole thing looks like, they want to straighten the whole system so:

1. Visa exempt is for package tourists.
2. Tourist visas are for bona fide tourists, that might want to pop in to Laos, Cambodia or a Vietnam trip and return and finish the trip in Thailand.

The rest of us have fit in the Non-O/B category, no matter if we like it or not.

For my self. I will no longer rely on the visa exempt scheme, even though my nationality allows me to, as i'm NOT a real tourist. There is a big difference on not working in Thailand, and being a real tourist. And I think sooner or later, everyone here will be on that boat as well.

And yes, some of the people, that does not fit into Non-O/B will eventually be in a situation, where Thailand does not fit their needs, as a "home, when not at work".

• Like 1

I'll be going through immigration about 9am tomorrow. I'll ask the officers that sit at the overstay desk what the situation is for us 28/28 O&G workers are then post right away here

The more "on site" reports, the better.

But it does not change the fact, that using the visa exempt for living here, when not at work, is not the goal of the visa exempt scheme.

They are trying to push everyone onto real visa's, as i see it. And somewhere down the line, they will force us to do just that. And to be honest, the immigration laws, has been like that, all the time.

It's just us, that have been ab-using a scheme, not policed properly.

Most people I know, working outside Thailand will qualify for a Non-O-extention of some sort. But as I see it, most of them will be better of, with just picking up a multiple Non-O when visiting the home country for x-mas or a family summer visit.

Most of my friends take a sommer trip home, i'm on one now smile.png

But to be brutally honest, these winds that blow now - are not the ones you build a solid family life on. Especially if that means some sort of investing in Thailand.

Edited by KhunMoo

For the O&G gas on 28 day rotation... Would suggest carrying a copy of their work contract or letter from Employer or similar (just in case)

As shows they are working outside Thailand and spending their 28 day 'vacation ' in Thailand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2