28/28 rotations: is there a maximum of 30 day visa on arrivals per year?

For the O&G gas on 28 day rotation... Would suggest carrying a copy of their work contract or letter from Employer or similar (just in case)

As shows they are working outside Thailand and spending their 28 day 'vacation ' in Thailand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First of all I still don't see anywhere that offshore workers on rotation are a group possibly being targeted, they are not. The main targets seem to be people that do out/in's, continuously stay in Thailand that way and may (or may not) work illegally, they are the only people so far confirmed to have been asked questions. No-one else!

All the other rumours are very much unconfirmed. and I stronlgy discourage to alter plans based on the rumours here, but that is my personal opinion.

Im comment to this post, most offshore workers will carry a seamenbook which tells when and where the person has worked. It is an official enough document as airlines allow you to travel on discounted fees providing you carry the booklet, and tax authorities accept it as proof of work (as part of).

• Like 1

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the O&G gas on 28 day rotation... Would suggest carrying a copy of their work contract or letter from Employer or similar (just in case)

As shows they are working outside Thailand and spending their 28 day 'vacation ' in Thailand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These documents are in my Possession at all times when I travel world wide for company or vacation time.all due to working offshore company policy..

My company's Crewing/HSE Policy requires us to carry ALL these documents when traveling to and from the vessel.

Some new Norwegian seaman's directorate rule I think...Started last year .

Must have in Possession 
Company Contract

1 recent pay stubb

Insurance card

ISOS/TIS document stating warning about area I am going to and all my companies emergency contact numbers.

Passport and seaman's book copies

Vessel crew letter stating all crew members names and position on board, disembarking or joining the ship and it also states the purpose off  the trip to or from my vessel for work or Vacation time off.

I always ask my crewing department for an onward ticket to anyplace from where I am going as many airlines will not let you board plane for final destination with out this.

as for Thailand airport or land immigration points I have NEVER been asked for any of this  paper work ...30 day entry stamps the norm.

I will report what happens on my next arrival in mid August.

• Like 1

I left through immigration

I asked three different immigration officers if us 28/28 are ok. All three looked at my passport properly with many in and ours roughly 28-30 days apart

All threw different immigration officers said

"No problem for you"

The end

That is good to hear Franky.

Thanks for taking the time to post.

FD

• Like 1

Great stuff franky, have a good trip,
I just entered via DMK in the last few mins and nothing out of the norm I noticed there although don't much use this airport

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app
  • Like 2

Thanks for posting.

I got all my professional documents on hand when I travel just in case; all my certs, seaman's book (which I keep updated regardless and gives me an extra 10kg luggage and got me out of having to purchase onward tickets on numerous occasions), etc.

Won't be a bother for the offshore guys I can assure you.

To quote Obi Wan; these are not the visa runners you're looking for.

• Like 1

I left through immigration

I asked three different immigration officers if us 28/28 are ok. All three looked at my passport properly with many in and ours roughly 28-30 days apart

All threw different immigration officers said

"No problem for you"

The end

Good to hear Franky Bear, certainly be good to hear a few more first hand experiences from people coming and going, that fall into the 28/28 category 

• Like 1

Khunmoo is talking a lot of sense, but there are some of us that like to spend our recreation time in Thailand but don't fit into a Visa category. Why doesn't Thailand just issue border visas very rapidly, as in Nepal,  on arrival ?.  The extra revenue would far exceed any cost of talking on extra immigration officers or Visa staff.

I'm still very concerned about all this as my rotation usually about 14 on & 25 off (part time/on call) - have been in Thailand more than 90 days this year and also one side tip to Penang for 4 days earlier this month.All exempt/on arrival stamps

Flying SQ. Booked fast track immigration/limo - & one night at the Landmark for this Thursday 24th

I have work permit for Papua New Guinea & statments of earnings , not married. N.Z.passport.

What else could I bring to show at the airport ?  

Edited by stailmanki

I'll be going through immigration about 9am tomorrow. I'll ask the officers that sit at the overstay desk what the situation is for us 28/28 O&G workers are then post right away here

The more "on site" reports, the better.

But it does not change the fact, that using the visa exempt for living here, when not at work, is not the goal of the visa exempt scheme.

They are trying to push everyone onto real visa's, as i see it. And somewhere down the line, they will force us to do just that. And to be honest, the immigration laws, has been like that, all the time.

It's just us, that have been ab-using a scheme, not policed properly.

Most people I know, working outside Thailand will qualify for a Non-O-extention of some sort. But as I see it, most of them will be better of, with just picking up a multiple Non-O when visiting the home country for x-mas or a family summer visit.

Most of my friends take a sommer trip home, i'm on one now smile.png

But to be brutally honest, these winds that blow now - are not the ones you build a solid family life on. Especially if that means some sort of investing in Thailand.

But if you are under 50 is a Non-O a possibility?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

My mate came through Swampy in the last hour with many tourist exempt, Cambodian in and outs etc.

He's a 28/28.

All he got was a smile and his passport stamped

Thanks Franky Bear, good to hear :-)

I'm still going to carry my daughters birth Certs etc from now on. No harm in being a bit over cautious

I saw already one poster who did exactly what you intend to do and showed his daughter’s birth certificate.

He was granted entry. However try to explain the logic behind that. He has confirmed that he is not really a tourist but has family in Thailand.  Surely the IO had every right to refuse him and I am completely confused as to why he would suddenly let him in.  

• Like 1

Aright gents

First post on the boards as im just in the process of relocating to Thailand from Scotland.

Like you fellas im working offshore also but my scenario is abit different as im a contractor and dont do a 28/28 as such. Sometimes i can be away for 6/8 weeks and i try to work it as to having roughly equal time off so the 30 day visa you get on arrival sometimes will be of no use to me. I know i can get the extension now as of the 29th Aug for an extra 30 days but will that hinder me in future because of the immigration stamp? Going back to the uk to get 60 day tourist visa isnt an option either as the agencies i work through will fly me in and out of BKK when im coning to and from work.

Also this is the thing with the return flight out the country, The way im thinking getting round that is just booking a cheap flight to vietnam or somewhere just as proof that i have the intentions of leaving the country (even though i will be but with no job lined up i wont have flights ect booked until a few days before i head away on the next job)

I have a new passport with only 2 trips to Thailand in it and i also have a seamans book that has been stamped from every vessel ive worked on the past 6 years as proof im actually not going to be working in Thailand on my time off. All this immigration hassle has came at the wrong time with me looking to relocate to Thailand! Typical haha,

Anyways if any of you ahve dsuggestions or info that can help me try to get my head round what i need to do it would be appreciated.

Cheers

If your going to be relocating here.. Possibly budget for the 500k elite card.. 

Your situation is not much different to a friend of mine, whose work is so variable he can be through the airport multiple times in a week.. or then not for 2 months.. I really cannot see how this new implementation wont effect him, maybe hes lucky for month, but how many trips until he meets the desk guy that says no.. I am pretty sure he will be getting an elite to solve his issues. 

Hi Gaz and welcome, on the information you've given I'd suggest an outward flight to a neighbouring country wouldn't be a bad idea, as it's good to explore other surrounding countries too, if you have a seamans book that would confirm your work location which I guess would help, you'll be keeping your flight stubs and travel history for tax purposes anyway I imagine so maybe photocopy the most recent onto an A4 sheet and take with you, as for the certainty you'll be ok entering or not I think currently it's down to the immigration officer, maybe we'll get some clarity in the next couple months, difficult to apply for thai tourist visa in some countries where you may work due to volatile situation in that country or whatever other reasons, I understand where you're coming from since I was faced with the same situation when I first came here although now I'm entering on non imm o visa, I suggest you give more information about your situation, I assume you're not married? How old?

Thanks for the replies gents

LivininLOS excuse my ignorance but what is a 500k elite card?

jonnyscot....

Im 29 and you got it in one im not married, To start with i'll be renting a condo come the tuern of the year when i move over for definite then after that onnce im settled and happy enough with everything and the visa situation then i'll be looking at buying somewhere of my own.

Yeah i've got all my ticket stubs ect so will take your advice and get them onto an A4 sheet as back up. Hopefully i dont get any hassle as im looking forward to moving over and getting into the Thai lifestyle,

Hopefully it all sorts itself out in the long run.

There's further info if you search on here re the 500k elite visa, if you don't already have, be sure to apply for a second UK PP for visa application purposes for your work, since you should keep your passport with you when in Thailand

Having an onward flight on a visa exempt is a given. you MUST have that. I have always had a return flight to where i have flew in from.

When i was 28/28 in the middle east Emirates wouldn't let me on with out a return or onward flight 

• Like 1

Franky, yeah thats right but I fly to BKK from Japan. Nagoya, Osaka, Fukuoka, usually NRT. I have only been asked to show return ticket once or twice. Thai immigration has never asked to show return ticket. Edited by arunsakda
  • Like 1

Arun, I fly back in about 28 days and will cover my arse big time. 20K baht cash, onward flight, pics of my daughter holding up her UK and Thai passport with me in the picture too. My Bkk bank book.

Naturally the dynamics of 28/28 lads may change this next 28 bit as it stands I'm 100% confident I won't have a problem despite my passport being rammed with visa experts
  • Like 1

Leave your daughter's UK passport out of the picture. It is irrelevant, would result in an information overload and thus confuse the immigration officer.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app
  • Like 2

Franky, I think you are solid OK also but since you have family would not extenstion of stay by marriage or "retirement" not be the way to go? There are vacation months and other times you want to stay more than 30 days right? I'm stuck looking at the Elite card, and I don't golf! Edited by arunsakda

Leave your daughter's UK passport out of the picture. It is irrelevant, would result in an information overload and thus confuse the immigration officer.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

In general you only give the immigration officer what is asked, which is at first your passport and the piece of paper you fill in. If after that he has questions, you can supply him with more info. No point in giving him for example a return ticket if he hasn't asked for it.

• Like 1

Franky, I think you are solid OK also but since you have family would not extenstion of stay by marriage or "retirement" not be the way to go? There are vacation months and other times you want to stay more than 30 days right? I'm stuck looking at the Elite card, and I don't golf!

Because of the way the application for extension to live with one's Thai child is processed, with a 30-day "under consideration" period, it would not be practical to apply for it when on a 28/28 rotation.

Here's another one from a Phuket based oil and gas guy on Facebook... Slight twist..

He's already here on a 30 day.. His work has been put back.. He went to immigration and asked for advice..

They say he can't border run by land or air as he has loads of stamps and that will be an out in.. He can't go get a tourist visa as that will be back to back according to Phuket immigration.. So now he's going to be separated from his family and go wait in Laos until his work rotation sorts itself out.

Yes his current stay going beyond 30 days is a special case, but that happens with oil and gas.. But when it does, what's the options then ??

This would indeed be an "out/in"  and from what I can tell, that is what the crackdown is all about. I wouldn't do any of it and wait in Laos or where-ever, just to avoid more problems on his next arrival.

Unfortunately that seems to be correct and it seems there will be problems going to neighbouring countries for a few days and then return with the visa excempt.A friend of mine on a 14/28 rotation experienced just that in Phuket in june.Been flying from Europe on visa excempts for 7 years without problems he decided to visit Malaysia for a few days with his GF.On return to Phuket he was almost refused entry,his GF got questioned for almost 1 hour.

Finally he was allowed entry,but with an "I-O" in his passport and tould to get a proper visa when he returned next time !!

• Like 1