Snake ID please

Oscar2

although just a baby, i found this right by the front door today. is this one of the dreaded banded krait's? does anyone know? they come in white and black and yellow and black. i believe the white and black variety is the, or one of the, deadliest snakes in Thailand. i searched all around for more of them or a mother but didn't see any in our garden.

thanks.

post-145128-0-21802800-1405793459_thumb.

I dunno. The bands don't go all the way to the tail? Possible common bridle snake? ??

attachicon.gifCom.jpg

don't know. it's possible. i'm just nervous of the b/w banded kraits after the story on the Thai news about 4 months ago when the little girl was bitten while sleeping in her bed. even though she got to a hospital within 30 minutes and the father brought the snake (after killing it) with him for a positive ID, she almost died.

Blanford's Bridle Snake Dryocalamus davisonii

now looks more likely.

I am in agreement on this one. We had a few visit our house a couple of years back. I scoured the internet before settling on Bridle Snake. I dispatched them all so have not had any repeat visitors.

If you cannot 100% identify a snake then treat it as DEADLY I invested in 2 snake sticks so anyone can handle any snake safely by using these I have had 5 visits so far but non venomous so far

DK, where can you buy these snake sticks? i'm aware that you can make them from PVC and rope as shown on the internet but i don't have a drill to make the holes in the caps.

we often get those green tree snakes (maybe 5X per year), often quite large, and i'm not afraid of them and usually grab them with a pair of those tongs they sell in Thai markets but i wouldn't mind having something a little more safe in the event of finding something i don't know if dangerous or not.

thanks for everyone's replies!

• 1 month later...

so like everyone living in Thailand we get our share of snakes in the garden but rarely get one in the house. earlier today i went in the laundry room and as i glanced down, saw this snake about 12 inches from my foot!

is this a banded krait? sorry for the lousy photo but my Cannon didn't have any battery so i used another camera. i usually don't kill snakes but was a little nervous about this one. it was about 18 inches long.

thanks.

post-145128-0-22471700-1409462457_thumb.

so like everyone living in Thailand we get our share of snakes in the garden but rarely get one in the house. earlier today i went in the laundry room and as i glanced down, saw this snake about 12 inches from my foot!

is this a banded krait? sorry for the lousy photo but my Cannon didn't have any battery so i used another camera. i usually don't kill snakes but was a little nervous about this one. it was about 18 inches long.

thanks.

Again, this really looks completely different from a banded krait. The yellow/white rings aren't evenly spaced, the rings don't go all the way around, you can clearly see it has a white underbelly. This looks even less like a Krait than the juvenile one in the OP.

Another bridle snake I guess, which are harmless.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Blanford's Bridle Snake Dryocalamus davisonii

Dryocalamus daviDsonii, yes, definitely.

A banded krait always has an even for laymen clearly visible triangular cross section (as you can see in the picture) and is banded with alternating black and light-colored areas from neck to tail end.

post-9457-0-89786900-1409475986_thumb.pn

If you cannot 100% identify a snake then treat it as DEADLY I invested in 2 snake sticks so anyone can handle any snake safely by using these I have had 5 visits so far but non venomous so far

DK, where can you buy these snake sticks? i'm aware that you can make them from PVC and rope as shown on the internet but i don't have a drill to make the holes in the caps.

we often get those green tree snakes (maybe 5X per year), often quite large, and i'm not afraid of them and usually grab them with a pair of those tongs they sell in Thai markets but i wouldn't mind having something a little more safe in the event of finding something i don't know if dangerous or not.

thanks for everyone's replies!

I got mine from Ebay I got a 5ft one for bigger snakes and a hook for the baby smaller snakes