Thais 'need to learn to coexist with those who think differently'

Lite Beer

It's difficult to point out exactly what this fellow means, with reference to coexisting, and he clearly leaves it unidentified.

It's possible he is referring to East vs. West, which is how I would interpret his content, whereby he would be referencing collectivism vs. individualism. Given the chance of clear attitudes, it's possible for East and West to coexist without confrontation (in the modern day).

However, if he is referring to neighbouring countries, which are all collectivist societies (alledgedly), then there's a cat in hell's chance of coexisting for quite some time.

Simply refer to Thai/Myanmar public relations, and Thai public general attitude towards Burmese, and there's no need to look further. Coexisting is going to take a lot more than a few lectures on the subject.

It requires critical thinking, a skill not taught in Thai schools, nor will it ever be in the near future as the ruling classes want to keep the masses ignorant.

Easier to persuade them to be happy with their lot.

One can hope that now that that ruling class is gone the new one will improve the education system.

They have all ready taking a giant step towards that getting rid of the pads and deciding on a smart class room instead. I don't agree with introducing some of the classes but then again it is far better than nothing. On the other hand maybe the new classes will teach the Thais that they did not invent the wheel or fire.

I know there are the doubters out there who will say all they are is talk. Well ask that of the people doing the back to back border runs. Ask that of the farmers they said they would pay and did pay.

One can hope that now that that ruling class is gone the new one will improve the education system.

Tell us, please, what alternative universe you are living in? Your comment makes about as much sense as saying Thai put the first man on the moon.

• Like 1

It requires critical thinking, a skill not taught in Thai schools, nor will it ever be in the near future as the ruling classes want to keep the masses ignorant.

They have all ready taking a giant step towards that getting rid of the pads and deciding on a smart class room instead. I don't agree with introducing some of the classes but then again it is far better than nothing. On the other hand maybe the new classes will teach the Thais that they did not invent the wheel or fire.

I know there are the doubters out there who will say all they are is talk. Well ask that of the people doing the back to back border runs. Ask that of the farmers they said they would pay and did pay.

Tell us, please, what alternative universe you are living in? Your comment makes about as much sense as saying Thai put the first man on the moon.

Well someone had to be there to take the photos when the Americans arrived ...

Who do you think took the photo's when the Americans landed???

I DISAGREE! Thais need not learn nothing as we are in their world. Ever hear the term "butterfly effect"? If it weren't for the subtle or drastic differences between humans and their cultures we would all be the same and lord know the USA has already gone to shit.

"Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country".

I DISAGREE! Thais need not learn nothing as we are in their world. Ever hear the term "butterfly effect"? If it weren't for the subtle or drastic differences between humans and their cultures we would all be the same and lord know the USA has already gone to shit.

Say what?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Once again I read more of the "All Thais" cow dung.

The vast majority of Thai already live peacefully with their neighbors it is only a small minority who do not and they are the ones who stir hate and dissention.

That small minority is known in each community and are by in large not trusted, unfortunately some of them have got themselves into positions of authority and are therefor in a position to make life difficult for others by gathering the like minded around them.

Vested interest, mostly corrupt, keeps them from ever changing, until it is no longer worth their while to stir then they will continue to do so.

If you want a great example of this go and read the Phuket pages about the mayor that has just been taken down.

"One can hope that now that that ruling class is gone the new one will improve the education system." Like KB, this one got me rolling on the floor. cheesy.gif

Guy had good ideas. No one will listen. I like the old saying:
"If you want peace, work for justice"

I observed my wife with a few neighbors. They were all talking at the same time. I asked how can anyone understand or listen when everyone is talking. She said, "Thais only talk NO ONE listens. I think she was correct except possibly for a few select Thai individuals.

Not my experience. My wife often has 3-4 friends over and they talk, for hours about politics or Buddhism, or relatives in common. But they take turns, and have at times heated disagreements with one another. They appear to have a good time, also.

Thais need one thing !!!!!! the culture of depate. This is missing in the families and further more in the whole society . So no chance to discuss disense in a way we do it in Europe and find out a solution for the problems....

but this needs to be trained and learned from childhoos! So no chance yet as all the parents don't have this experiance and can't give to their children!

It requires critical thinking, a skill not taught in Thai schools

Thailand unfortunatly has the same attitude as its drivers "me first" untill that attitude changes nothing else will.

Sorry but do not know yes how to do direct quote.. so

Not taught in Thai schools??? Maybe Yale, harvard Oxford, Cambridge, Scotts College Sydney, but definately NOT at Bowen state High School. Most places, "critical thinking" means how to deflate someones ego

and " driver attitudes", after first visit to Thailand, and as an avid motorcyclist, I watched the scooter taxis with amazement.. finally built up my courgae and went for a trip with one. There, cars make allowances for m'cycles, generally keep to centre labnes...

In australia, the average driver would see the opportunity to open their door!!! Just to stop someone from getting past.

Love the country. Love the food, love the people. If you think Thai officialdom is bad... try going to an Australian post Office with the aim to actually post something

A peace expert?

Who studies peace and what qualifies you as a peace expert?

Your number of John Lennon albums and how many spliffs you smoke a day?

Peace Studies is about conflict resolution. Why would that be seen as a bad thing?

A peace expert?

Who studies peace and what qualifies you as a peace expert?

Your number of John Lennon albums and how many spliffs you smoke a day?

Well done on that 'learning to listen to others' demonstration!

I think that whatever we think of Gothom Arya's credentials, he's right about the need for Thais to learn to co-exist.

I also think Thailand has a lesson for the west. If you want to see an example of what happens when politics become too polarised, look no further.

It doesn't matter much if it's red vs yellow, or tea party crazies vs left liberal loonies, the more that polarity escalates, the worse it is for the country. Ignore what's happened here at your peril.

I haven't seen any other country than Thailand where arrogance and ignorance, across age/gender/education backgrounds, comes in such a package.

"Don't need, I have master degree" (whatever that qualifies for...) is a typical answer... Will not change in a million years...

And my sincere apologies to the 10% who don't fall into that group.

... And learn to co-exist with people that have different skin color as well but all this is, is a wish list that won't fulfilled for a very long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by maxme

I dunno... I've watched Thai politics for a good many years, and find a few things about it to be admired. Their protests seem to be generally more powerful and prolonged than do those in the states, for example, red shirt or yellow. And yes, each side can seem relatively intractable at times.

The primary thing that bothers me about Thai politics is that Thais have little respect for the rule of law. Without regard to whichever faction may have been in office/power, there was an election, and both sides got to play by the same rules, whatever those rules may be. And someone won that election. Like it or not, that was the legitimately elected and lawful government.

Suthep Thaugsuban, another wealthy guy from the south and accused of corruption (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suthep_Thaugsuban), was also legitimately elected. But as a member of that same government. For whatever reason, he decided to resign and initiate protests designed to bring down the government.

"Sedition" is defined by the Oxford dictionary as "conduct or speech inciting people to rebel against the authority of a state or monarch." Suthep's actions qualify as sedition under that definition.

By all rights, Suthep should have been arrested very quickly after he and his took to the streets. His actions were ignored, however. Neither the police nor the military came to arrest him, put in prison, and try him.

One could argue that ultimately, not arresting Suthep was the cause of the coup d'etat.

In a democracy, when the people do not approve of or like a particular governing official, one either waits and fields a better candidate in the next election, or finds grounds for arresting, trying, and ousting that official under the rule of law. It doesn't matter if said official is Tony Blair, Margaret Thatcher, Bill Clinton, George W. Bush, Thaksin Shinawatra or Abhisit Vejjajiva.

But that doesn't happen here. And that's pretty interesting.

Thai hubris prevents any chance of them moving ahead. I've been teaching Language at a school I shall not name, and the administration absolutely HATES foreign teachers. We're a necessary evil so they can say it's a bi-lingual school. We aren't even allowed to teach English, that's for Thai teachers only. I've walked by some of these "Engrish" classes and am absolutely horrified at what is being taught.