Army Cracks Down On 'Extortionate' Motorcycle Taxis

Lite Beer

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya,,, they've erected fare posters in several areas, with the prices/trips marked in THAI of course... I've already seen several with the "official" fares taped over, and the, "correct" fare as determined by the drivers added,,, ;)

a taxi minimum fare in bkk is always cheaper than a mobike taxi for a short hop ,they usually want 40-50 for the same short hop. i always end up using the taxi for a short hop

Certainly not so where I live. In fact, the motosai guys are alarmingly cheap.

I just checked the distance on google maps and from my house to a point 1.9km away is 15b.

I agree. Anyone who pays taxi rates or more for a mo'sai needs to hone their negotiating skills. Of course there are many riders who see the farang coming and try to take advantage. Such is and always has been Asia.

Wonder how the crack down on the sellers of unripe Durien going?

cheesy.gif You must be a Monty Python fan clap2.gif

Please don't stop here and make us a list of all the crack-downs to come...

Edited by Yann55

The army is doing good things in Phuket. Coming to your province soon…

Oh really?How many illegal built big hotels are ripped a part already?How many restaurants of big fish mafia got kicked away?They kick away only the small fish.Business as usual

Often, Moto taxi fares for longer distances are higher than a normal taxi because while a normal taxi can pick up another fare any place he drops off, a moto taxi can not. He has to deadhead back to his stand which costs time and money.

They much prefer short trips within their own area and being able to quickly return to their stand and get another fare.

I saw a TV program advertised a few weeks back about paramedics that picked up the pieces from people seriously injured or killed while passengers on Bangkok motorbike taxis. It suggested that plenty of people were getting injured and killed while using Bangkok motorbike taxis. While you might not have had any problems doesn't mean that they are safe. It is especially easy for women to fall off the back if the bike makes a sudden move. That would likely result in their head (no helmet) hitting the road at a speed that would kill or seriously injure them

The women passengers need to be taught to sit on the motorcyle properly. I even see women in pants sitting side-saddle. Sarongs went out of fashion long ago, so there isn't much hindering them getting a leg over.

Yes I am a big fan of Monty Python, there was actually a seller of unripe Durian arrested in Chantaburi province a couple of weeks ago and they said that they were launching a crackdown on this vicious crime.

• Like 2

Never been ripped by motorcycle taxis, they have a mafia tax to pay too.

So crack down on the mafia but of course another just comes along when a vacuum is left. Its not really fixable without changing the culture too imo.

Short trips take a regular taxi its always cheaper and a lot less sweaty. Meter only though. And I never ever take a tuk tuk anywhere.

It is interesting all this crackdown lark about red shirts, I just wonder if they really think once political parties are again allowed and people can vote if everyone is going to just vote for the same "correct" option or have "correct thinking"

If not then where on earth do they get the idea there wont be differing opinions and group supporters, colours or otherwise ? its not like people are going to just all going to vote yellow or whatever is preferable by whoever if allowed free choice, or is it going to be there is a right choice and nothing else tolerated ?

These people arnt just going evaporate or stop voting for their champions if allowed to choose.

All very strange.

The "mafia" wear tight brown tunics and at odds with the Military.

The army is doing good things in Phuket. Coming to your province soon…

It's about time they did good things here in Phichit, and get the unlicenced drivers, and motorbike riders, not forgetting the underage ones, off the road.

they said they were going to crackdown in pattaya, but nothing has changed. i was in hua hin and bangkok i saw fare board posted at taxi points, no such thing in pattaya.

The NCPO is currently doing a great job of cleaning up Phuket, when complete it will be Pattaya or another provinces turn. Of course cleaning up Phuket could take some time. A very long time I recon!

Indeed they should. It saves us money and it breaks another link in Thaksin's chain.

Motorbike taxis are as cheap as anything anyway. I dont see asking the drivers to buy new vests off the NCPO is going to realign their political view, if indeed they are supportive of TS.

I am fully supportive of pushing safety regulations and try and getting them to improve their driving, but in nearly a decade here, i have never really had any problem with motorbike taxis. Occasionally you have to ask them to slow down a bit, but other than that they are cheap, quick and easy way to get from A to B.

Rather subjective post based on a single view point to which I can not disagree however there can be little doubt that the system needs a serious overhaul for a variety of reasons of which providing there is serious enforcement most of the problems would disappear. Establishing a protocol is common in Thailand but it is the continuous enforcement that will determine the result.

Yes I am a big fan of Monty Python, there was actually a seller of unripe Durian arrested in Chantaburi province a couple of weeks ago and they said that they were launching a crackdown on this vicious crime.

Just goes to show how reality is often much crazier and wilder than fiction. Next crakdown will be what ? Unlicensed Cockroaches ? Ladyboys pretending to be gay ? Scammers who sell European Football Clubs to unsuspecting Thai billionaires ?

A lot of totally crazy stuff (including some of Monty Python's) was written by observant people who did nothing but sit down at some bar, in a bus, on the beach or any place where humans have time, and a captive audience to whom they can deliver their endless wisdom... All the writers have to do then is write down what they hear ... biggrin.png

To return to the topic, there seems to be a pattern... the powers that be come up with some new crackdown and the powers that would-love-to-be (our fellow posters on Thaivisa) come up with a string of huh huhs, we shall see, it's only words (but words are all we have, remember?), and the like.

It's called 'positive suspicion' I suppose ?

Edited by Yann55

Are the military trying to completely change Thailand to become more European/American like with enforcement of all these rules and regulations. I for one left the UK to get away from all that. How much is too much meddling.

Den

I saw somewhere the motorbike taxis can only charge you 25 bht for a short trip, I can try it here in Pattaya , butt I'm pretty sure I have to walk instead of getting motorbike taxi, they will never bring you somewhere for this price, and where can you complain ? cheesy.gif

No doubt the motor cycle taxi's should be registered which also should be reinforced without favour, but as for setting prices, well that's a debatable point, maybe the short haul prices within their own area could be fixed but once asked to go outside their "area" it should be negotiable - let the market forces dictate the prices.

The registration must be government controlled and policed (maybe a wrong choice of word there) as there is no place for the "mafia" to be involved - let the motor cycle guys make fair and honest living like many other people do.

I am rarely ever in Bkk - but if I am and need to use a motor cycle I will usually tip a few Baht extra if the driver is polite / friendly etc.

Are the military trying to completely change Thailand to become more European/American like with enforcement of all these rules and regulations. I for one left the UK to get away from all that. How much is too much meddling.

Den

I think there should be a crackdown on all these crackdowns if not I maybe start smoking crack..

Indeed they should. It saves us money and it breaks another link in Thaksin's chain.

Motorbike taxis are as cheap as anything anyway. I dont see asking the drivers to buy new vests off the NCPO is going to realign their political view, if indeed they are supportive of TS.

I am fully supportive of pushing safety regulations and try and getting them to improve their driving, but in nearly a decade here, i have never really had any problem with motorbike taxis. Occasionally you have to ask them to slow down a bit, but other than that they are cheap, quick and easy way to get from A to B.

Ever taken one from Mo Chit BTS to Major Rachayhothin? The usual charge is 80 Bhat, and it's almost suicidal, but I pay it to avoid sitting in traffic between the two points and then I take a cab from the latter. A regular taxi from Mo Chit to Saphan Mai straight up Pahonyhothin (many times the distance) should be roughly 100 Baht.

Edited by Local Drunk

now if they could just get them to act like adults providing a service,and remeber that the customer is the reason they even have a <deleted>$#&ing jacket,and at least try and look a bit proffesional,instead of heckling tourists,spieing on thier gf's at the bar, and sleeping in hammocks....persaonally i wish they would all just go back to'' nissan''.....,i say bring back the rickshaw,

How about a crackdown on taxis to ensure they pick up passengers.

Happened one year ago. They're all fined 1000b each. rolleyes.gif

And that lasted about a month - strictly for show. But lately, have not had any problems getting the first taxi that comes along to take me on my 8 km ride home.

As for the Motocy' drivers - most in my area are polite and honest and still charge the minimum fare down the soi' - 10-15 bt depending on how far you go, plus most have short hair/crew cuts with the heat so the military would fit in easily if they felt it necessary. Guess we are lucky here in this area.