About to sign divorce settlement, think too much?

bkkheat

Hi,
I'm about to sign a divorce settlement which I pay child support for a 4 year old

10,000 baht 2014 to 2016
15,000 baht 2017 to 2019
20,000 baht 2020 to 2022
25,000 baht 2023 to 2025
30,000 baht 2026 to 2028
35,000 baht 2029 to 2031 - when she turns 21

I'm ok with the first part, but the last few jumps kind of scare me.

What happens in Thailand if I can't pay? Can I go to court and restructure? Or will this be cemented with no changes at all?

I think the jump is ok assuming school fees will get more expensive and inflation. But I will be nearly 50 when the last few jumps in payment comes along. I'm pretty confident I can pay that money by the time comes around, but also am thinking about the what if's....

Some input would be nice, my lawyer thinks I'm crazy to accept this.... But I think it's ok and just want to file the papers ASAP.

Tell her you will pay it as long as she gives you custody. From what I understand paying maintenance is not enforceable in Thailand, just look at how many Thai guys just leave and never support their kids.

She will think that money is hers alone and she will hit you for school fees etc all her life. Support her as long as you can and try and get her living with you as soon as possible, that way the child will benefit from the money

My lawyer wants me to pay 5k and tell her to get f#%ked. But I don't think that's too fair.

But the above seems a bit steep I think. Came here to see what people think.... Especially the last 6 years

He's right. Anyhooooo this Uni thing seems a bit premature to me. Perhaps she don't want Uni.

My lawyer wants me to pay 5k and tell her to get f#%ked. But I don't think that's too fair.

But the above seems a bit steep I think. Came here to see what people think.... Especially the last 6 years

He's right. Anyhooooo this Uni thing seems a bit premature to me. Perhaps she don't want Uni.

What you agree in a divorce contract to pay and what you actually pay out because you want your child to have a good life are too very separate things.

Follow your lawyers advice that is what you are paying them for, and do not bring you Western ideas of "fair play" East, you will only lose out.

• Like 1

6,000 Baht is enough until the child reaches maturity.

Why the increases?

Perhaps later extra to go to the university.

Exceptions should be made if she gets married.

I believe payments until 18 are reasonable.

You can always give more.

Agree to pay 3k/month. That's what a court would likely award.
If she wants more just do nothing, and let her progress the divorce.
(essentially you agree to nothing, do nothing, sign nothing)
Thai ladies married to foreigners are totally stuffed if they can't get a divorce.
Once you sign, you are stuck.

Then if you want to give more, you can, without being obliged. Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 2

You have an obligation to your child.

You have paid a lawyer to provide you with legal advice. Your own thoughts and druthers are emotional.  So, listen to your lawyers advice.

The specific questions you ask, what happens ? Restructuring ? No changes ?  These are questions your lawyer should be answering. Is he/she a Thai lawyer?

Anyway, back to this – you paid a lawyer for advice and counsel, so follow your lawyers counsel, after all, that's what you paid for.

As provided by earlier Posters - you can always add to the amount you provide on a discretionary basis.

Edited by The Man Who Sold the World
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
You're living in a country where an average income is like 8000 per month.

Why on earth are you signing a settlement?
If you think they're reasonable then in future you can pay as you see bills come along.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app
  • Like 1