Udon Thani to Siem Reap, how?

Madivad

I want to go and visit a friend in Cambodia who is staying in Siem reap. I'm not doing a visa run, it's just an in and out visit, I'll probably spend about a week there.

What I want to know: what is the best way to get there from udon thani? I don't mind the mode of transport, i just want the easiest, fewest transfers as possible.

Do I fly to bkk, and catch a bus to SR, or is it at all possible that some of the bus companies might actually do a direct run?

My friend seems to think its possible but he hasn't confirmed anything for me yet.

Fly in from Bangkok. You will regret the bus/van ride.I took a 50 baht 3rd class train from Bangkok to Aranyaprathet...I regretted that too. Took a taxi from Siem Reap to the border two years ago (in an horrendous flood). Immigration at the border is a bit rough. Do fly in, if you can afford to.

My son just went yesterday from Trat to Siem Reap via Poipet and he said never again, 1400 Baht ripoff at the border then more charges from Poipet to Siem reap. He said it is same price to fly direct from Bangkok without the 15 hours involved and the rip off. He is Thai so he had to pay for a visa he does not need but he had no choice, it was this or be left 2 klms from border. All in the same van from Koh Chang had to pay to extra fee, the mafia gang is well set up at Poipet border. Be warned. The Thai man told him I make business with falang... I did not know you were Thai otherwise I would not take you...

Take a bus to Sisaket - easy

Take a taxi - O'Smech - 900 baht

Take a taxi to Siem Reap - 2000 baht

Don't talk to anyone at the border - it's easy.

ps - I'm giving you the maximum figures to pay - I got it cheaper after haggling.

Edited by Pattszero

ps - I'm giving you the maximum figures to pay - I got it cheaper after haggling.

The first fare I hit just now on google from Bangkok to Siem Reap was just over 9000 Baht return.

So your bus from Bangkok to Sisaket (maybe 500? Just a guess) plus 2900 for taxis works out about a thousand less than the air fare each way. Add in the hotels and food (not to mention the time) taken to get there, plus the aggravation factor with border touts, and the plane looks like a much better deal. And I'm sure if I spent more than 30 seconds looking, I could find a better air fare, too.

If I was younger, I might well do it the hard way, just for the sheer hell of it, but these days, really, I'd rather pay an extra 1000 and get there in a (relatively) comfortable hour on the plane.

I drove from Udon to the Cambo border and then took a taxi to Siem Reap last year. I did it round trip.

IIRC the drive was about 7 hours and the taxi was about 2 hours. I traveled on the ground because I wanted to see country I'd never seen before, but flying would be a lot nicer for just getting there and back.

The first fare I hit just now on google from Bangkok to Siem Reap was just over 9000 Baht return.

So your bus from Bangkok to Sisaket (maybe 500? Just a guess) plus 2900 for taxis works out about a thousand less than the air fare each way. Add in the hotels and food (not to mention the time) taken to get there, plus the aggravation factor with border touts, and the plane looks like a much better deal. And I'm sure if I spent more than 30 seconds looking, I could find a better air fare, too.

If I was younger, I might well do it the hard way, just for the sheer hell of it, but these days, really, I'd rather pay an extra 1000 and get there in a (relatively) comfortable hour on the plane.

If you honestly believe that spending 5,000 baht more is a good deal then go ahead.

If you honestly believe that spending 5,000 baht more is a good deal then go ahead.

Airasia, BKK -Siem Reap, one week next month = 3,960.00 baht (return ticket)

The Chong sa Ngam border is nearer and a more pleasant 2 hour journey to Siem REAP.

Easer. take a bus to Surin

Surin to Chong Chom Boarder Crossing by van 60 baht. 70 km 1 hour.

From Chong Chom Crossing aka O'Smach taxi to Siem Reap 1500 baht,

I concur with Surin - O'Smach - SR , went that way myself a few years back. No hassle or delay at the border and a very interesting taxi ride though the road was atrocious for the most part Lol.

Black top all the way, O'Smach to SR. Two hours by taxi.

have not checked the prices but how about flying from Vientiane. Flights with Laos Airlines via Pakse 5 times a week I believe. Easy to get to the airport from Udon and can visit Vientiane for a day if you wish.