Recommend tyre shop for repair?

topt

Had a puncture on one of my rear truck tyres this afternoon coming down Highway 7 and now have the spare on.

The puncture/cause of flat was not obvious looking at the outside of the tyre. Can anybody recommend a place to repair tyres and ideally check balance and alignment?

Thanks.

I can't speak for Pattaya, but aren't there shops that do this sort of thing everywhere? Here in Bangkok, it would be difficult NOT to find one. I am not trying to insult you or anything. Rather, I am just curious to know if it is different down there, as I do find myself in Pattaya once in a while on weekends. I never thought it would be difficult to find a tire (tyre) shop.

Of course, it could just be the case that you are looking for somewhere reputable rather than taking your chances with the first shop you happen to stumble upon. I just thought I would find out for myself in the unfortunate case I find myself in this situation one day while I am rolling into Pattaya for a long weekend!

Good luck either way!

I can't speak for Pattaya, but aren't there shops that do this sort of thing everywhere? Here in Bangkok, it would be difficult NOT to find one. I am not trying to insult you or anything. Rather, I am just curious to know if it is different down there, as I do find myself in Pattaya once in a while on weekends. I never thought it would be difficult to find a tire (tyre) shop.

Of course, it could just be the case that you are looking for somewhere reputable rather than taking your chances with the first shop you happen to stumble upon. I just thought I would find out for myself in the unfortunate case I find myself in this situation one day while I am rolling into Pattaya for a long weekend!

Good luck either way!

Absolutely loads of them which is why I asked if anybody had a rec...........facepalm.gif

But thanks for the thought.

Pretty much any of the tire shophouses on Sukhumvit. They are easy to spot... they have tires, rims and jacks outside.

The one I use is just north of Boonthavorn.

I am looking for somewhere that will do a good repair (apparently they can be repaired using different methods) or will be able to explain to me why it cannot or should not be repaired (if that is the case). I don't want to have to buy a new tyre if I do not need to. I also don't feel up to trawling along all the myriad places on Suk and elsewhere to try and work out who may or may not fit the bill if a TVer can positively recommend somewhere.

The one you say you use - is it the same side as Boonthavorn - before the 7 junction lights or the Pattaya Nua lights? Do you know if they have alignment and balancing equipment?

There are tyre shops around, though when I tried to find one inevitably there were not as numerous as I previously thought they were!

But my problem was really that the nearby one that I did try first wanted 200+B to fix my tyre and another 200+B to come out and pick it up/drop it off. B-quick did it for free (though I had to go to them).

Pretty much any of the tire shophouses on Sukhumvit. They are easy to spot... they have tires, rims and jacks outside.

I am looking for somewhere that will do a good repair (apparently they can be repaired using different methods) or will be able to explain to me why it cannot or should not be repaired (if that is the case). I don't want to have to buy a new tyre if I do not need to. I also don't feel up to trawling along all the myriad places on Suk and elsewhere to try and work out who may or may not fit the bill if a TVer can positively recommend somewhere.

The one you say you use - is it the same side as Boonthavorn - before the 7 junction lights or the Pattaya Nua lights? Do you know if they have alignment and balancing equipment?

My word your ARE making a bit of a meal out of this. Is this your first ever puncture or what?

I am not a tire repair technician so I have no idea if any of the dozen or so repairs I have had done all over LOS were 'good' except that I never had recourse to go back. Plugging a tire hole isn't rocket science and these guys have enough punters coming by with nails and buggered valves every day that they don't need to resort to ripping off anyone to pay for their beer and noodles. They will tell you fairly if your tire is unrepairable and that has only been the case with one of my running flats. In case this IS your first flat, how far did you drive on it before changing it? The longer you run flat, the more likely the walls are buggered and he will tell you as much. If the puncture is in the tread area, it will be a dawdle, if it is a tear or near the wall, it may be difficult to plug. Usually if it's in the wall, you will need a new tire, no arguments.The GOOD thing about these guys is that selling new tires isn't their primary revenue stream but they do tend to be a good place to get a really good bargain replacement versus gong to a regular tire mall. This is because when Somchai or Albert buy their new car and have decided to put some fancy rims and fancy rubber on it after a few miles, they will come to these hole in the wall shops as they are cheaper to re-shod 4 wheels. Thus he may have a low-mileage, low-cost replacement tire that he can sell you if your tire is indeed buggered.

The one I recommend is as I said. "just north of Boonthavorn"... like about 20' past the north end of Boonthavorn parking lot. It's the ONLY tire shop next to/north of Boonthavorn. If you are past the entrance ramp to 7, you have missed it. I hope that is claro enough to stop you 'trawling'. You CANNOT miss it. Single shophouse with jacks and tires and rims out the front. He has all the paraphernalia to balance rims as well.

There your go. Sorted!

• Like 1

My word your ARE making a bit of a meal out of this. Is this your first ever puncture or what?

I am not a tire repair technician so I have no idea if any of the dozen or so repairs I have had done all over LOS were 'good' except that I never had recourse to go back. Plugging a tire hole isn't rocket science and these guys have enough punters coming by with nails and buggered valves every day that they don't need to resort to ripping off anyone to pay for their beer and noodles. They will tell you fairly if your tire is unrepairable and that has only been the case with one of my running flats. In case this IS your first flat, how far did you drive on it before changing it? The longer you run flat, the more likely the walls are buggered and he will tell you as much. If the puncture is in the tread area, it will be a dawdle, if it is a tear or near the wall, it may be difficult to plug. Usually if it's in the wall, you will need a new tire, no arguments.The GOOD thing about these guys is that selling new tires isn't their primary revenue stream but they do tend to be a good place to get a really good bargain replacement versus gong to a regular tire mall. This is because when Somchai or Albert buy their new car and have decided to put some fancy rims and fancy rubber on it after a few miles, they will come to these hole in the wall shops as they are cheaper to re-shod 4 wheels. Thus he may have a low-mileage, low-cost replacement tire that he can sell you if your tire is indeed buggered.

The one I recommend is as I said. "just north of Boonthavorn"... like about 20' past the north end of Boonthavorn parking lot. It's the ONLY tire shop next to/north of Boonthavorn. If you are past the entrance ramp to 7, you have missed it. I hope that is claro enough to stop you 'trawling'. You CANNOT miss it. Single shophouse with jacks and tires and rims out the front. He has all the paraphernalia to balance rims as well.

There your go. Sorted!

Thanks for the 10 course tasting menu - much appreciated thumbsup.gif

I am looking for somewhere that will do a good repair (apparently they can be repaired using different methods) or will be able to explain to me why it cannot or should not be repaired (if that is the case)...... Do you know if they have alignment and balancing equipment?

B-quick ticks all your boxes, I think. I doubt I will ever go anywhere else.

I found the chap who did my repair to be very informative and helpful and their workshop seems to have all the correct equipment. I cant swear on the alignment rig as I wasn't looking for one, but they certainly have the balancing rig. They do mention alignment on their very informative website http://www.b-quik.com/en/know_05.php#10 and I suppose that means they do have the alignment rig.

If your tyre only needs plugging as mine did then that should not throw the balance off.

I've had great luck with a shop on the left side of Suk, as you are going north, just before North Pattaya Road. Maybe 100m before. Been there a few times with punctured tires. Also had the best prices on new tires...and I shopped around quite a bit.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I am looking for somewhere that will do a good repair (apparently they can be repaired using different methods) or will be able to explain to me why it cannot or should not be repaired (if that is the case)...... Do you know if they have alignment and balancing equipment?

B-quick ticks all your boxes, I think. I doubt I will ever go anywhere else.

I found the chap who did my repair to be very informative and helpful and their workshop seems to have all the correct equipment. I cant swear on the alignment rig as I wasn't looking for one, but they certainly have the balancing rig. They do mention alignment on their very informative website http://www.b-quik.com/en/know_05.php#10 and I suppose that means they do have the alignment rig.

If your tyre only needs plugging as mine did then that should not throw the balance off.

I can confirm that they definitely have the alignment kit - see below.

I've had great luck with a shop on the left side of Suk, as you are going north, just before North Pattaya Road. Maybe 100m before. Been there a few times with punctured tires. Also had the best prices on new tires...and I shopped around quite a bit.

Thanks - that would have been ideal as not far from where I am and I will bear in mind for the future.

However I wanted to get it sorted quickly and had to pick something up from AA Insure so went with B Quick. Turned out I had to get a new tyre as the puncture was caused by a diagonal cut which they said could not be repaired. Price seemed ok so decided not to look around but would have checked your guy if I had known.

B Quick was very busy and there were a number of cars waiting to be done ahead of me but still all work completed (new tyre, rotated all wheels, replace spare and alignment) in about 75 minutes.

As KK said earlier service was very good and friendly.

Good that you got it sorted but sorry that your original tire was buggered.

Does anyone know what B-Quick would charge for the average plug job? The chap I recommended is 150 baht which I gather is pretty much the standard rate on Sukhumvit.

I first took the wifes CR-V there last year for a couple of flats (spare already used and a slow puncture on the front) and found that she must have driven through a nail factory! Plugging them all on one of the tires would have been dangerous. I managed to score a couple of used Michelins (same as her originals) to replace the worst ones for 800 baht each. Took about 20 minutes and they bought me some noodles from a passing cart while I waited.

Does anyone know what B-Quick would charge for the average plug job?

0B, as mentioned in my earlier post.

Oops! Missed that, thanks. Was that you dropping off an unmounted flat or did they jack you up and do the works? I wonder what they charged the OP? Any free noodles? Airconditioned waiting room?

Does anyone know what B-Quick would charge for the average plug job?

0B, as mentioned in my earlier post.

Oops! Missed that, thanks. Was that you dropping off an unmounted flat or did they jack you up and do the works? I wonder what they charged the OP? Any free noodles? Airconditioned waiting room?

If it had been a simple puncture repair then no charge - I was told that when I took it to them and I think it also says that on their web site. Yes they have an air conditioned waiting room with free water - no noodles that I could see.

Thanks for that. I will keep them in mind if I have a flat and I am nearby. With a +1 hour wait, I can go and get my own noodles with the money saved on the plugging! TBPH, I reckon they bought me noodles out of pity as I was suffering their kerbside 'waiting room'; a plastic lawn chair on the baking sidewalk shared with a 3-legged dog. Local atmosphere for them that wants it!

If I have a slow puncture, I will refill it a few times just to see if it's a sticky valve or seals itself but eventually I take the car/truck to the shop with the 'flat' tire still mounted so they need to do the jack/hoist, take it off, fix it and put it back on. I wonder if B-Quick is still free for that sort of drive-in versus a walk-in with an unmounted flat that you take home and hang yourself?

Do you tip them for totally free service?

Edited by NanLaew

• 8 months later...

Hi, I need to get a tire repaired and since the last post on this topic was in July 2104, I thought I would ask if people still recommend B-Quick. The Mercedes service guy recommended I go to a small tire shop close to their dealership on Suk. Apparently they did a crummy job cuz the tire is still losing air (or I guess it is possible I was unlucky and have had a second nail puncture in a 3 week time span). Thanks in advance for any suggestions.