How do i go about getting work permit for car /bike rental business.

OK, i've got a car and bike rentals business, whats the best way to go about getting a work permit. At the moment i don't have a company set up, which i think i need to be able to get a work permit.

Thanks in advance.

You will need to set up a company (with a Thai businesss partner) and employ at least 4 Thai nationals to be able to get a WP.

If married to a Thai naitonal it would be only 2 employees.

So the first thing i need to do is set a company up, any idea of how much this would cost?

Unless you have a significant operation I really dont see you having the income to justify the costs that are there for this process. 

Perhaps you can employ a Thai manager, and then you are allowed it seems to 'oversea your investment' while they do the 'work'.. Its a subtle difference but would seem accepted practice. 

Otherwise your looking at.. Company formation.. 2 million baht capital.. Office rental.. VAT registration and processing.. accounting.. 4 thai staff.. Your own minimum wage.. tax contributions.. and even then I thinbk you may need to have this running for a year before you can really be fully on a non B extensions with work permit ??  

Unless you have a significant operation I really dont see you having the income to justify the costs that are there for this process. 

Perhaps you can employ a Thai manager, and then you are allowed it seems to 'oversea your investment' while they do the 'work'.. Its a subtle difference but would seem accepted practice. 

Otherwise your looking at.. Company formation.. 2 million baht capital.. Office rental.. VAT registration and processing.. accounting.. 4 thai staff.. Your own minimum wage.. tax contributions.. and even then I thinbk you may need to have this running for a year before you can really be fully on a non B extensions with work permit ??  

Or, to put it simply, completely unfeasible for the overwhelming majority of people.
  • Like 1

Or, to put it simply, completely unfeasible for the overwhelming majority of people.

Well the OP says he has a car and bike rental business - I assume that this means more than 1 car and 1 bike = some sort of retail location  / business established most like under his wife's name? Perhaps the OP can shed a bit more light...

Well the OP says he has a car and bike rental business - I assume that this means more than 1 car and 1 bike = some sort of retail location  / business established most like under his wife's name? Perhaps the OP can shed a bit more light...

Until the OP clarifies we have no way of knowing.. Maybe he has 10 plus cars, 20 plus big bikes, and 50 plus scooters, staff to maintain them and admin, with a solid retail location and a real working 'rental business'.. Or maybe he has 2 cars on credit, and a handfull of scooters, that makes pocket money.. 

The former could sustain a work permit and will already need incorporation and have much of it done.. The latter is not uncommon in farang areas and simply doesnt generate enough to meet the costs of a farang being legalized. 

Until the OP clarifies we have no way of knowing.. Maybe he has 10 plus cars, 20 plus big bikes, and 50 plus scooters, staff to maintain them and admin, with a solid retail location and a real working 'rental business'.. Or maybe he has 2 cars on credit, and a handfull of scooters, that makes pocket money.. 

The former could sustain a work permit and will already need incorporation and have much of it done.. The latter is not uncommon in farang areas and simply doesnt generate enough to meet the costs of a farang being legalized.

My business that i want the WP for has more than 15 cars and 35 bikes so i think it turns over enough money for a WP. My reason for never having a WP before was because my GF worked the business, but now due to the clamp down and my GF and I having another child i think now is the time to go down the route of getting a WP.

• Like 1

Tax, social, accountants and other associated costs for you and four Thais approx 20K a month every month, not forgetting the x4 salaries you need to pay alsosmile.png

Company in the wife's name only 2x Thai staff required. In that case I would also not bother with VAT.

All in all about 80-90k per year (at least that is what I pay in taxes, social, wp, accounts etc.). Salaries not yet included.

Edited by stevenl

Tax, social, accountants and other associated costs for you and four Thais approx 20K a month every month, not forgetting the x4 salaries you need to pay alsosmile.png

Company in the wife's name only 2x Thai staff required. In that case I would also not bother with VAT.

All in all about 80-90k per year (at least that is what I pay in taxes, social, wp, accounts etc.). Salaries not yet included.

He is not married so I imagine that it's still 4 thais required..?

Yes, and also means more taxes.

Op asked for first thing to do, which would be getting married. Life her is much easier after that.

• Like 1

Op asked for first thing to do, which would be getting married. Life her is much easier after that.

Marry to get a visa?.. Probably he could sell a car or two and get the 500k elite thing instead

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Marry to get a visa?.. Probably he could sell a car or two and get the 500k elite thing instead

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

No, marrying to make setup of company etc. easier.

I think with Elite card obtaining a WP is not possible.

Well he mentioned he wanted to set up a company only because of his visa situation = work permit. 

Now if he Really wants to get married : he could get an O visa.

If he doesn't then he could go the route I suggested : would solve his visa problem without having to get married. 

• 3 weeks later...

The OP has children with his gf - surely marriage cannot be a bad thing, even if it is to get his visa sorted?

He can always come back to the company option later...

If you can put 400k in the bank for a few months then it's a win-win situation in my opinion. smile.png

The 2 employees if married depends on the office. F.Ex Chonburi requires 4 even if married: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/703463-ratio-of-thai-employees-for-every-foreigner/#entry7422055

Since this ratio seems to be something offices can decide on, dropping it to 1 (the wife/husband) would enable married freelancers to open up shop by employing the spouse. Maybe TVF can find a way to lobby this after the Immigration crusades biggrin.png

The 2 employees if married depends on the office. F.Ex Chonburi requires 4 even if married: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/703463-ratio-of-thai-employees-for-every-foreigner/#entry7422055

Since this ratio seems to be something offices can decide on, dropping it to 1 (the wife/husband) would enable married freelancers to open up shop by employing the spouse. Maybe TVF can find a way to lobby this after the Immigration crusades biggrin.png

Isn't it already doable with a limited partnership?

I think Soutpiel knows more about this, maybe check back on some of his posts.

Seems to again depend on the labour office: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/298250-thaifarang-limited-partnership/#entry3014724

EDIT: And it still seems to be the 2/4 Thais no matter is it's Co Ltd or limited partnership. 

Edited by DrTuner

Thank you at last it seems either everyone isn't lying to me or I'm not going mad.

Yep this is my experience of Chonburi.

Seems to again depend on the labour office: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/298250-thaifarang-limited-partnership/#entry3014724

EDIT: And it still seems to be the 2/4 Thais no matter is it's Co Ltd or limited partnership. 

Thanks for that. Post #10 from Sunbelt is very informative.

However, it is dated 2010 so can anyone confirm it still stands, specifically regarding the Non-b and WP limited to 90 days - how about for a married person?

Edited by ParadiseLost