Bangkok Morchit 2 bus terminal to be moved

webfact

Morchit 2 bus terminal to be moved

32261351-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Morchit 2 provincial bus terminal at Chatuchak and city bus terminal at Morchit 1 will be relocated to pave the way for the construction of the Red Line electric project.

The relocation was agreed at the meeting hosted by the Transport Ministry.

Participating in the meeting were executives of the State Railway of Thailand, the Transport Company, operator of the provincial bus terminal at Morchit 2, and the Bangkok Mass Transit Authority (BMTA) which uses the Morchit 1 as a city bus terminal.

Transport ministry’s permanent secretary Soithip Traisut revealed after the meeting that the Transport company and the BMTA would be moving their provincial bus terminal at Morchit 2 bus and city bus terminal at Morchit 1 to other areas within 2017.

She said the agreement to move the bus terminals would enable the SRT to carry on with its plans to construct the SRT’s Red Line project.

The SRT has planned to turn the terminals into a maintenance station and a parking station for the Red Line trains.

Managing director of the Transport company, Wuthichart Kalayanamit said the new location of the bus terminals would be decided by the end of the year, while the new site must have at least 100 rais of land, where the state company has planned to invest around three billion baht for the construction of the new bus terminals.

A study, meanwhile, showed that the Transport Company is interested in the locations around Don Muang, Muang Thong Thani, and Future Park Rangsit Mall.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/morchit-2-bus-terminal-moved/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-07-22

• Like 2

A study, meanwhile, showed that the Transport Company is interested in the locations around Don Muang, Muang Thong Thani, and Future Park Rangsit Mall.

Why not go the whole hog and relocate to Korat or Ayuttaya. rolleyes.gif Might mean having to catch a bus to catch a bus?

Further and further away from where the majority of passengers want to depart from and arrive at. No?

• Like 2

I would hope that if they choose one of the locations mentioned this morning, it would be the old airport. The buses from Korat already stops there to let people off and it is right on the highway out of town. I rarely take mass transportation so would only be concerned about the ability of people to get train service from Don Muang into town.

• Like 1

The proposed sites are just horrible locations. Too far away from the people who will be wanting to use the bus service. Maybe out by the new airport would be better, at least there, there is the airport link to move people around quickly. Heck, might even make the airport link profitable. Of course, it would be necessary to extend the airport link so it actually connected to the bus terminal and was convenient for people. You know, actually THINK and PLAN AHEAD. Oh dear, I am dreaming again.

But I suppose the bigger question is, where would you find 100 rai of land closer to the city center? I don't know how big it is, but the huge patch of SRT land at Makasan comes to mind. whistling.gif

Most people who use the buses from a transport hub are traveling long distance (not around Bangkok).

Most people who use buses for long distance travel do not live in Sukhumvit, or Silom, or somewhere else close to the those places. They probably mostly live out near DMK.

There is no real reason to make this terminal close to the city. Terminals don't make bus-lines better or accessible, buses driving routes do that. While I personally wouldn't mind seeing a bus terminal that is close to city center, it's not really necessary as a long distance bus terminal. It's no different than having the airport also not be close to town, like DMK, where this thing is apparently moving to.

Edited by harveyBKK
  • Like 2

Why not go the whole hog and relocate to Korat or Ayuttaya. rolleyes.gif Might mean having to catch a bus to catch a bus?

Further and further away from where the majority of passengers want to depart from and arrive at. No?

The elevated railway will be open by then, so quite convenient.

I live along Viphawadee and the work being done on the elevated railway is impressive.

I was also at Morchit yesterday and all around it has massive building works going on. Looks like it's going to be a main parking terminal for the trains. Massive project and it's all well, well underway.

The sooner they move that craphole (Morchit bus station) the better.

• Like 1

Ekkamai move on the cards too I believe I read a week or two ago.

That would be great if they move out of there too.

It's such a horrible station with full of rip-off old buses trying to lure tourist into taking their 20 year old buses.

The bus stations need to be consolidated and easy of access in and out. Imagine people being able to reach this main terminal by BST or MRT, and buses able to leave straight to the highways without facing traffic jam.

That would be a huge advance for Thailand, specially Bangkok.

• Like 1

This is a repost.

Posted 2014-07-15 17:25:57

Mo Chit Bus Terminal To Be Moved 'In 3 Years'

By Khaosod English

This is my riposte.biggrin.png

Careful, if any of the foreign-sourced English teachers read this, they may think you have misspelled "repost."

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

I would hope that if they choose one of the locations mentioned this morning, it would be the old airport. The buses from Korat already stops there to let people off and it is right on the highway out of town. I rarely take mass transportation so would only be concerned about the ability of people to get train service from Don Muang into town.

It almost goes without saying, that a transport-hub enabling inter-connecting between bus & air is better, than a stand-alone terminal.

Even better if they could link to the local & long-distance rail-services, and the fast-train link to Swampy, from the station just across the road from DMK.

Now what's left, perhaps put the hub of any high-speed train-network (if it ever happens), in the same place ?

Makes no sense at all.

In most places in the world public transport hubs are in the centres of big cities. Conveniently conencted. Not at the edge of the city somewhere like the southern busterminal which is a 300 baht taxi ride from ratchada almost as much as the bus fare!

• Like 2

The proposed sites are just horrible locations. Too far away from the people who will be wanting to use the bus service. Maybe out by the new airport would be better, at least there, there is the airport link to move people around quickly. Heck, might even make the airport link profitable. Of course, it would be necessary to extend the airport link so it actually connected to the bus terminal and was convenient for people. You know, actually THINK and PLAN AHEAD. Oh dear, I am dreaming again.

But I suppose the bigger question is, where would you find 100 rai of land closer to the city center? I don't know how big it is, but the huge patch of SRT land at Makasan comes to mind. whistling.gif

It's true... public transport terminal should be located in a place that is accessible for the masses.

Send the executives of the State Railway of Thailand, the Transport Company back to the ZOO where they belong.

Common sense is to connect the bus terminal to BST or MRT and not in the middle of nowhere, no need to be a rocket scientist to figure that out.

Locating the bus station on the edge of town makes good sense from the points of view that a.) the requisite sized piece of land will be much easier to find and cheaper to buy and develop, and b.) because the departing buses won't have to battle their way through city traffic to get to the highways they need.

However, if it is located out of town, then it is essential that it is serviced by either sky train or metro, (or even by a dedicated rail link, although going by my experiences of the time trains take to get from DM to Hualamphong, I'm not sure that would work) so that bus passengers have easy and immediate access to other parts of the city. If it's stuck out on its own with only taxi access, then it will be a chaotic mess.

Edited by nisakiman
  • Like 1

South bus terminal is far away and there are no demonstrations about it. While it would be good to have it closer, land is just not available or is too expensive nearer the city center.

Having it at DM as suggested would be the best idea ( they could put it in the old freight terminal ), and hopefully the skytrain would be extended there.

• Like 1

Locating the bus station on the edge of town makes good sense from the points of view that a.) the requisite sized piece of land will be much easier to find and cheaper to buy and develop, and b.) because the departing buses won't have to battle their way through city traffic to get to the highways they need.

However, if it is located out of town, then it is essential that it is serviced by either sky train or metro, (or even by a dedicated rail link, although going by my experiences of the time trains take to get from DM to Hualamphong, I'm not sure that would work) so that bus passengers have easy and immediate access to other parts of the city. If it's stuck out on its own with only taxi access, then it will be a chaotic mess.

You forget that the south bus terminal is far away without mass transit links and that works.

"....the huge patch of SRT land at Makasan comes to mind"

Wot! Are you mad? That land is sorely needed for a mega shopping centre. Much more important than a bus terminal for the benefit of the hoi polloi to travel. No, No, No, must be away from the city's valuable land. One day Ekkamai and the eastern terminal will also fall victim to planning madness.wink.png

Makes no sense at all.

In most places in the world public transport hubs are in the centres of big cities. Conveniently conencted. Not at the edge of the city somewhere like the southern busterminal which is a 300 baht taxi ride from ratchada almost as much as the bus fare!

Many buses go to south bus terminal. 25 baht or whatever it is nowadays.

Wot! Are you mad? That land is sorely needed for a mega shopping centre. Much more important than a bus terminal for the benefit of the hoi polloi to travel. No, No, No, must be away from the city's valuable land. One day Ekkamai and the eastern terminal will also fall victim to planning madness.wink.png

Ekamai should be moved. It is a decrepit hole that is too small for purpose.

Makkasan? Your 6-hour journey would become 7. Total disaster of a place to get into and out of.

Being facetious I'd suggest the Army golf courses on Ram Intra - should be enough space & it's not too far out.

It's all very well asking air travellers to pay for a taxi to get into the city but upcountry bus travellers are (let's say) less well off and should not be forced to pay extra to get from the likes of Rangsit to the city centre. Oh I suppose they could run a cheap shuttle service.

Totally disagree.

It has been tarted up a bit but its appearance is irrelevant. It is perfectly placed on Sukhumvit and feeds quite smoothly into the Bangna-Trad highway. It has the BTS and many busses passing its door.

IMO it would be a travesty to move it - there's enough half-empty building monstrosities all around it.

The elevated railway will be open by then, so quite convenient.

I live along Viphawadee and the work being done on the elevated railway is impressive.

I was also at Morchit yesterday and all around it has massive building works going on. Looks like it's going to be a main parking terminal for the trains. Massive project and it's all well, well underway.

The sooner they move that craphole (Morchit bus station) the better.

More info on what you describe http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/653268-bangkoks-mo-chit-2-bus-terminal-to-be-relocated-ahead-of-aec/page-2

Send the executives of the State Railway of Thailand, the Transport Company back to the ZOO where they belong.

Common sense is to connect the bus terminal to BST or MRT and not in the middle of nowhere, no need to be a rocket scientist to figure that out.

Thankfully the non rocket scientists already knew that. The proposed preferred site option near Rangsit will have a direct link with the SRT Dark Red Line.

Ekkamai well also be moved to Bang Na, on some land diagonally opposite BITEC. The Mall Group is going to build the largest shopping Center in asia, the appropriately named Empire Mall, on the large parcel of land opp BITEC on Bang Na-Trad rd (NE corner). It will have a link with the BTS

The land (approx 15 acres) that the MOT has proposed to move the Eastern Bus Terminal is located directly adjacent to this development on Bang Na - Trad rd. However, there are some access issues that need to be addressed with The Mall Group and the MOT is negotiating with them about integrating the projects so that essentially The Mall Group gives the MOT some of its land. They may consider a land swap with Ekkamai as well. There are no draft designs or renders that I am aware of.

It makes sense to move these buses from Ekkamai closer to the Expressway. That gives them quicker access to the main rd & Expressway whilst also getting buses off the already congested parts of Sukhumvit.

• Like 1

Ekkamai well also be moved to Bang Na, on some land diagonally opposite BITEC. The Mall Group is going to build the largest shopping Center in asia, the appropriately named Empire Mall, on the large parcel of land opp BITEC on Bang Na-Trad rd (NE corner). It will have a link with the BTS

The land (approx 15 acres) that the MOT has proposed to move the Eastern Bus Terminal is located directly adjacent to this development on Bang Na - Trad rd. However, there are some access issues that need to be addressed with The Mall Group and the MOT is negotiating with them about integrating the projects so that essentially The Mall Group gives the MOT some of its land. They may consider a land swap with Ekkamai as well. There are no draft designs or renders that I am aware of.

It makes sense to move these buses from Ekkamai closer to the Expressway. That gives them quicker access to the main rd & Expressway whilst also getting buses off the already congested parts of Sukhumvit.

That's not as bad as I thought. However linking it to the BTS is going to take some lengthy overhead walkways. Bangna-Trad, Sukumvit corner is about mid way between Bangna & Udomsuk BTS stations.

It'll also need an overpass from the inward lanes to the new bus station. Wonder when this is going to happen.