How can everyone afford iPhones?

hellohello123

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can't afford 25k for a phone then maybe it is time to start thinking about going home.

What is that suppose to mean?

Anyway, it amuses me to see young Thais wearing old-broken-cheap shoes while chatting/talking on iPhones.

Priorities, people, priorities !!!!!!

Edited by wattaman

Just like they prefer 7-11 because it makes their image, iPhones and High end Samsung phones are more important to them than anything.

It was typical to see one iPhone and one Blackberry in hands of Uni. girls just 2-3 years ago in MRT.

Iphones and other smart phones are a tool to facilitate and expediate meaningless consumption.

Why on earth would I pay 25K for a gadget so that I can be lured into wasting my valuable time playing with idiotic aps, facebook, and surfing kitten video clips.

I will stick with my pay as you go sim card and 450 THB dumb phone.

Smart phones are tantamount to wearing a brand name T-shirt with their name plastered on the front. You are paying a premium of your cash to further increase the profits of big business.

Probably because your retired or have little contact with people back home or are anti phone. I was like you a few years ago thought why do i need one. Now I love having one as I can have skype on there to talk with my friends back home, have a voip accounts for clients to call, check my email to see if new important data has come in. So I can stay out more because I can do more without having to stay home doing work. My parents love line to communicate with me.

In the car (yes I own a car too.. why own a car when you can walk) it connects to the audio system and my music is playable. Google maps is great and when you need to find a phone nr or a website you can. Without one many things would be a lot harder. But you don't need the newest or latest phone for that a few steps down will do the same thing.

Edited by robblok

If you're thinking about why Thais with an average Thai salary can afford new iPhones , it's easy to explain . They never pay all of it with cash, they use credit cards or down payments over several months . They probably pay more like 30k with all the interests.

This one.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Actually its not much of a surprise that many thaivisa users dont have modern phones or don't want to use them. Its the youth that is far more adaptable. Old minds have a hard time figuring electronics out. Just think back when you guys were young there were probably a lot of things you did that are now normal that your parents would have thought funny or stupid. Thaivisa demographics dictate that a lot of old people post here so you get a bit warped info here compared to the real world.

• Like 2

My missus walked in the shop with me.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Looking at your posting handle you got a smart phone :P a S4. I do most of my posting from behind a computer. Typing is faster.

Looking at your posting handle you got a smart phone :P a S4. I do most of my posting from behind a computer. Typing is faster.

Yes but my missus has an I phone.......and my post was a piss take, meaning my wife could afford the i phone because I was with her to buy it for her....

I thought the Dutch had a good sense of humour :-)

Looking at your posting handle you got a smart phone tongue.png a S4. I do most of my posting from behind a computer. Typing is faster.

Yes but my missus has an I phone.......and my post was a piss take, meaning my wife could afford the i phone because I was with her to buy it for her....

I thought the Dutch had a good sense of humour :-)

I just did not get it.. anyway I think the Dutch have as much humor as any country. I don't think there is a country that has more humor as an other. Though what is humor varies a lot.

I offered to buy the gf an S5 to replace her iphone4 she said she does not need it yet. I was surprised. But she uses the phone a lot for work. I think a lot of people who never used one don't have a clue how good a tool it can be.

I mean i got a Dutch local nr hooked up to it through voip.. people call me on that local nr and get me here in Thailand and are just paying normal costs. Only caveat is that the internet must be good.

• Like 1

Iphones and other smart phones are a tool to facilitate and expediate meaningless consumption.

Why on earth would I pay 25K for a gadget so that I can be lured into wasting my valuable time playing with idiotic aps, facebook, and surfing kitten video clips.

Smart phones are tantamount to wearing a brand name T-shirt with their name plastered on the front. You are paying a premium of your cash to further increase the profits of big business.

Probably because your retired or have little contact with people back home or are anti phone. I was like you a few years ago thought why do i need one. Now I love having one as I can have skype on there to talk with my friends back home, have a voip accounts for clients to call, check my email to see if new important data has come in. So I can stay out more because I can do more without having to stay home doing work. My parents love line to communicate with me.

In the car (yes I own a car too.. why own a car when you can walk) it connects to the audio system and my music is playable. Google maps is great and when you need to find a phone nr or a website you can. Without one many things would be a lot harder. But you don't need the newest or latest phone for that a few steps down will do the same thing.

Maybe the Dutch live longer ? my contact 'back home' via email is normally a list of friends and family that have died since the last email.. many are years younger than I am.. so rather depressing..

Maybe the Dutch live longer ? my contact 'back home' via email is normally a list of friends and family that have died since the last email.. many are years younger than I am.. so rather depressing..

Or I am just younger.. but yes that is depressing. But I understand older people not being as flexible as they used to be. My dad is real smart as smart or smarter as me. But even he asks me about the phone at times to help him. He does like the smartphone a lot for instance he bikes a lot and turns on the phone and all his rides are mapped and times kept. (push bike). Then when he is out and about he takes some pics of something and sends them to me or my gf. Now he got a newer smart phone (gave him an S3 as his other phone was a bit small so he could read better). The problem now is that his smartphone goes to mom... he already regrets me giving him the phone as now he has to explain mom.

There will be a time too when I cant keep up with changes in technology its just normal. But for me smart phones (and i resisted quite long) have made work easier and given me more time. However if you don't have friends with smartphones or you just don't use much of online services then why have it. I like it that people can call a local Dutch number at no extra cost to them and my phone here in Thailand rings. It is just a tool ..and it can do a lot.. no matter if its an Iphone (love to take the piss out of them for fun) or an android or whatever.

I'm 35 and still fairly young, I have smartphones but I am starting to feel old and fall behind technology

I've never used instagram, I don't read or do twitter

I still dont know what a pod cast is

I don't use nor understand the latest apps that everyone is talking about

I grew up playing super Nintendo, Sega megadrvie and stopped about PlayStation 1, I tried ps2 ans 3 and found the games all too complicated and too hard.

A computer game that you play online scares me

I hope that in twenty years I'm not going to be like the old guys mocking the youngsters on why they need a smart phone, or data or email via mobile etc

• Like 1

I'm 35 and still fairly young, I have smartphones but I am starting to feel old and fall behind technology

I grew up playing super Nintendo, Sega megadrvie and stopped about PlayStation 1, I tried ps2 ans 3 and found the games all too complicated and too hard.

I hope that in twenty years I'm not going to be like the old guys mocking the youngsters on why they need a smart phone, or data or email via mobile etc

I also don't use instagram or facebook or twitter. Its a choice I use the phone more for work. I have played many computer games online and like it at times.

as you get older your eyes and fingers are not so nimble as a youngster.. up to about 10 years ago always used for some years a mobile phone with a plug-in keyboard [still got it], the good old Ericsson T28 then T29 then T630...

now a day a 8" Tab with pen is a lot easier than a iPhone...

a must have in my car as a younger person was the all new item the 8 Track, playing things like the Monkey's..... a all new colour TV, wow what a bad colour they were back then, but they were the latest and a must have, but most folk had black and white.

• Like 1

as you get older your eyes and fingers are not so nimble as a youngster.. up to about 10 years ago always used for some years a mobile phone with a plug-in keyboard [still got it], the good old Ericsson T28 then T29 then T630...

now a day a 8" Tab with pen is a lot easier than a iPhone...

a must have in my car as a younger person was the all new item the 8 Track, playing things like the Monkey's..... a all new colour TV, wow what a bad colour they were back then, but they were the latest and a must have, but most folk had black and white.

I like the samsung s5 more as the iphone because its bigger. But your Tab is even bigger and better for you.. i think tabs are like smartphones you can even call with them.

Jeezus, premature senility. I think us older guys need to adopt you as a charity case. First thing we need to teach you is how to play bridge and dominos.

• Like 1

I also don't use instagram or facebook or twitter. Its a choice I use the phone more for work. I have played many computer games online and like it at times.

I also don't do facebook because I feel dumber everutime I read someone's comment on how long they are on the toilet, or how they are having a bad day because there is traffic,

Plus I don't want to become like them, so I stay away

That being said I think it's important to keep an open mind so that you can accept new technologies and at least try it

Years ago I bought an xbox wondering what the hype of halo was, I bought halo one and two

Played it for a few hours and motion sickness from the screen and the 400 buttons on the controller I couldn't hhandle,

Probably played it a total of three hours and haven't touched it since then

Felt pretty old, and I was only in my 20s!!

Jeezus, premature senility. I think us older guys need to adopt you as a charity case. First thing we need to teach you is how to play bridge and dominos.

Teach me bridge! I used to play backgammon as a kid, dominoes too ;)

Every picture tells a story don't it?

It tells the story what you want to see in it. In your case that phones are getting bigger.

I could take a picture of a computer.. then a laptop and then a phone as proof it gets smaller.

It tells the story what you want to see in it. In your case that phones are getting bigger.

I could take a picture of a computer.. then a laptop and then a phone as proof it gets smaller.

As I get older I get more techie. Before I would have told my wife I am standing by the baked goods now I send photo when she asks me where I am. I send the vet a photo of my dogs latest affliction and I can do all of this stuff while riding on my scooter looking at a map provided by my tablet.

• Like 1

As I get older I get more techie. Before I would have told my wife I am standing by the baked goods now I send photo when she asks me where I am. I send the vet a photo of my dogs latest affliction and I can do all of this stuff while riding on my scooter looking at a map provided by my tablet.

I got a dedicated GPS on the bike.. but to be honest in Thailand they are not that great. But I am a total idiot when its about locations.

But i prefer to look more at the road then at my GPS biggrin.png

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Owning an iphone or equivalent is more than just a phone, it is mobile internet, browse, bank, social networking etc, i have a 64gig iphone, use it as ipod as well, google maps for when i need to get somewhere ive never been.

Its also an accessory, it helps define you, imagine a business man pulling out an antique Nokia to answer a call as i have witnessed, women and savy men see it like a belt, shoes, hand bag.

Mine set me back 33,000 and its my second iphone, the first lasted me 3 ys my daughters Boy friend has been using it for the last 2 ys and still works like the day i brought it, no Nokia ever lasted me more than 18 months and out of frustration changed brands twice more with even less success, i do need my mobile phone for business and ive been more than delighted with both my iphones.

How anonymous and bland must someone be that a phone helps define them? Even if it did, would anyone with half a personality want to be defined in the same mould as a local bargirl?

If you're thinking about why Thais with an average Thai salary can afford new iPhones , it's easy to explain . They never pay all of it with cash, they use credit cards or down payments over several months . They probably pay more like 30k with all the interests.

This one.

There is also the perfectly reasonable explanation that an awful lot of Thais are far more well-remunerated than people think.

Lots of Thais making good money in regular jobs. Fewer women having to demean themselves by accommodating decrepit old men for cash too.

Sure, there's a hell of a lot of credit flying around but that's the case in the West too, right?

I am not surprised to see everyone around me with an iPhone or a Samsung...

This is the 21st century. The social media era. Nowadays everybody is connected...

However, I am surprised to read that some farangs still use 800b phones (to "call" people, like in the old times it seems...).

What a loss of face in this kind of society :)

What I cannot believe is that some farangs cannot buy themselves a smartphone...

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

somehow I thought a phone was just that to "call" people ?

What I cannot believe is the amount of people that walk into things, drive into things, push there shopping trolley into things and people, all because they just have to be fiddling with some smartphone thing..

​Maybe there should be some motion sensor on them ? will not work if moving tongue.png that would save face, not walking into things.