How can everyone afford iPhones?

hellohello123

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If you can't afford 25k for a phone then maybe it is time to start thinking about going home.

cheesy.gif alt=cheesy.gif width=32 height=20> The most ridiculous (but extremely funny) post of the year, so far.

Finally. someone noticed my post for the pisstake it was.

Thanks !!

tongue.png It was recognized for what it was a few posts ago.

If you can't afford 25k for a phone then maybe it is time to start thinking about going home.

Jesus ... that's about five hundred quid in English money... you must be off your rocker to spend that much on a phone .............

• Like 1

Sh*t. I use an i-mobile phone. Cost way less than 1000 Baht. I can phone people, send texts too and it has a camera.

I have a tower system in the house for internet. A television for movies and tv. A laptop for when I am away.

I can think of much better things to do with my money than buy an i-phone.

Return fare to Thailand from the Uk.

Buy another laptop.

Shack up with a woman for 10 weeks and have sex everyday.

Drink loads more beer.

The list goes on and on.

Just like in the US,probably 65% or more that have iPhones can't afford them.They use A credit card and then it take them 3 years

And they end up,paying triple for the thing.So for A 10000 baht iphone 4,they end up spending after interest 30000 baht.

That's for an iphone 4.Better them than me.

If you're thinking about why Thais with an average Thai salary can afford new iPhones , it's easy to explain . They never pay all of it with cash, they use credit cards or down payments over several months . They probably pay more like 30k with all the interests.

Ha ha, no, bar girls get their farang to buy. whistling.gif

And their farang is dumb enough to pay. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Yeah interesting points everyone

I was more emphasising relativity, if the ratio to wages to iPhone prices were the same, then that's easy

However, with the prices the same whilst wages considerably lower then that means that they value their phones a lot more then farangs in general

Also in my country, we can essentially get the phone for free by paying it off monthly via a plan eg $65 per month for two years rather then forking out 800 upfront

Owning an iphone or equivalent is more than just a phone, it is mobile internet, browse, bank, social networking etc, i have a 64gig iphone, use it as ipod as well, google maps for when i need to get somewhere ive never been.

Its also an accessory, it helps define you, imagine a business man pulling out an antique Nokia to answer a call as i have witnessed, women and savy men see it like a belt, shoes, hand bag.

Mine set me back 33,000 and its my second iphone, the first lasted me 3 ys my daughters Boy friend has been using it for the last 2 ys and still works like the day i brought it, no Nokia ever lasted me more than 18 months and out of frustration changed brands twice more with even less success, i do need my mobile phone for business and ive been more than delighted with both my iphones.

Good grief. What a maroon. (reference bugs bunny for the uninitiated).

God help us all, if your PHONE is what DEFINES you.

Edited by WhizBang
  • Like 1

something made me wonder a few weeks back had to go to BKK, and used the BTS while there... Amazed how many people had these iphone things, NOT just youngsters but loads of old people as well, all sat working away on there phones..

Do the older people in other Countries also have them ? in Cities [did ask most of my UK over 60 yr old friends only my Cousin has one out of 30 odd I asked, but all are non City dwellers]

Up to a point could understand people with these 8" +sized TAB things as bigger and many can use for different things, but these little phones are so very small.. [need young nimble fingers, good eyes to see anything on a tiny screen]

my Monitor is 32" and for me is just a nice size... Laptop is 14" rarely use as gives me a bad head in a very short time. my mobile phone is just that, cost under 500 baht, no cam or internet as would never use anyway

cheesy.gif The most ridiculous (but extremely funny) post of the year, so far.

Finally. someone noticed my post for the pisstake it was.

Thanks !!

I thought you were dead serious. I mean a guy bitching about people buying phones he thinks are too expensive. If low paid natives can afford it and you cant or wont.. time to stop bitching. I mean sounds more that he feels outdone by the locals and it hurts.

• Like 1

Owning an iphone or equivalent is more than just a phone, it is mobile internet, browse, bank, social networking etc, i have a 64gig iphone, use it as ipod as well, google maps for when i need to get somewhere ive never been.

Its also an accessory, it helps define you, imagine a business man pulling out an antique Nokia to answer a call as i have witnessed, women and savy men see it like a belt, shoes, hand bag.

Mine set me back 33,000 and its my second iphone, the first lasted me 3 ys my daughters Boy friend has been using it for the last 2 ys and still works like the day i brought it, no Nokia ever lasted me more than 18 months and out of frustration changed brands twice more with even less success, i do need my mobile phone for business and ive been more than delighted with both my iphones.

But he is so right.. I mean if you have an iPhone it defines that you are a sucker. An high class android on the other hand defines you that you are more creative and love freedom. Not the restrictive apple vice they apply to squeeze money from you.

• Like 1

something made me wonder a few weeks back had to go to BKK, and used the BTS while there... Amazed how many people had these iphone things, NOT just youngsters but loads of old people as well, all sat working away on there phones..

Do the older people in other Countries also have them ? in Cities [did ask most of my UK over 60 yr old friends only my Cousin has one out of 30 odd I asked, but all are non City dwellers]

Up to a point could understand people with these 8" +sized TAB things as bigger and many can use for different things, but these little phones are so very small.. [need young nimble fingers, good eyes to see anything on a tiny screen]

my Monitor is 32" and for me is just a nice size... Laptop is 14" rarely use as gives me a bad head in a very short time. my mobile phone is just that, cost under 500 baht, no cam or internet as would never use anyway

Im not sure where you are from but my dad and even my mom have smart phones. Though dad curses the day he gave mom one as he has to teach her how to use it. He loves his smartphone it tracks his bike rides (does 250km a week) uses it for his bank transactions, to check his mail. Uses line to contact me or my brother.

My mobile defines me. I've set the ringtone to ding-a-ling-a-ling. It answers with the message: "Sorry, there's no one at home."

I use my phone a lot for work

Despite my heavy use, I only have a few requirements, great camera, what'sapp, and ease of use for emails, and general reliability

I don't use any apps, or extras

So for me I love android, I give no care for brand or image, I will use a pink hello kitty phone if it works the best

As a result, a cheap smart phone doesn't quite cut it

So I always get the high end ones, however I never get the latest/greatest, if I can save 50%, then I will buy a one generation model older and possibly second hand, or wait until the prices come down

And I wont upgrade until I need to ie the phone dies

Never will I buy any of the phones for 800 in the opening weeks

My mobile defines me. I've set the ringtone to ding-a-ling-a-ling. It answers with the message: "Sorry, there's no one at home."

I just put back off b.... from guns and roses when I dont want to be called biggrin.png

You can also buy cheap tablets for 5000 baht . Thais need mobile devices 24/7 thats for sure . If they're not on facebook answering a new message wthin a minute, they will lose face and we all know what that means.....

• Like 1

If on a low wage as said credit and living at home with parents.

People whose parents have a business they are usually paid for by income from that or more likely unpaid income tax same as their cars,the kids non profit making coffee shop etc.

The middle class and supposed middle class with succesful businesses are far better off than their western counterparts. Unpaid income tax again.

many are bought for gigs,same as how that low paid girl affords a nice condo and designer handbags. Yep its lying on her back for an old man.

lying on your back as a profession pays over 1000 baht an hour.

fake chinese copies.

Yeah interesting points everyone

I was more emphasising relativity, if the ratio to wages to iPhone prices were the same, then that's easy

However, with the prices the same whilst wages considerably lower then that means that they value their phones a lot more then farangs in general

Also in my country, we can essentially get the phone for free by paying it off monthly via a plan eg $65 per month for two years rather then forking out 800 upfront

So about the same as buying with credit card and paying the interest...

As here you can get a decent post paid package with 300 min and unlimited data for 599 thb... Which is less than USD 20 per month

45x24= 1080 usd

So six of one, half dozen of another...

Don't really see how one is better than the other

Of course, like mentioned earlier, most end up buying on 10month interest free installments ...

Also True was offering a promotion earlier this year that reduced the monthly package deal by 50"% for first ten months if buying the phone through them on the 10 month installment plan

So if crunching the numbers.. 2,400 thb + 299 THB x 10 = 26,990

+ 14x599 = 8,386 THB

Total after 2 years = 35,376 / 32 =1,105.50

In your country 65x24= usd 1,560

So I end up paying over 400 usd less even though you get a "free phone" ... And my phone is not locked in to any one carrier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

But he is so right.. I mean if you have an iPhone it defines that you are a sucker. An high class android on the other hand defines you that you are more creative and love freedom. Not the restrictive apple vice they apply to squeeze money from you.

Some of you guys are stuck in the dark ages and judge/measure everyone else by your own standards, if your happy with your antique phone of 500B no name good on you, but the rest of us have a few more reasons for owning an expensive phone, love the way the pensioners in here seem to gloss over or just ignore what there used for apart from making calls.

A moron or 2 even said they preferred to piss there money up against a wall or hire a hooker live in for 12 weeks or something like that, obviously the retired life way up in the NE in the Village has dulled a few senses.

The village girls wouldnt care what phone you owned or your age just as long as you could stand and wore trousers, and i bet a few of these anquie men even pay a monthly salary to there woman/family. ( Ahhh i just had to say that since the same cheap charlies hang it on everyone else)

Call us sheep i call you cheap call us suckers i say you lack taste and class.

Most Thai women i know own an iphone or an up market galaxy, many of these women also own a laptop but not all, the majority use there phone as a mobile laptop on the run, this is 2014, social networking is hugh, they stay connected to friends and family through a host of social media, then theres email, browsing the web, banking, booking flights and hotels ( yes the women i know earn a bit more than your average village girl).

If you want to complain and make rude crude and stupid comparison's of iphone to a Thai's wages then what would the same hmmm pensioners say about the Thais ability to own a car?

By the way, iphone and the up market galaxy have dominated the smart phone market for quite a few years now, and looks like they will continue for a while yet, if thats the case and you dont own one of either maybe your out of step with the phone buying public, ahhhh but dont worry, galaxy do make a range as well as a few others for the pensioners and cheap charlies of the world who would rather sit in some dumpy pub and pissing there centerlink payments down the urinal.

• Like 1

first, I cannot afford a smart phone. seriously, I don't need it.

all the youngster around me, are showing off their beautiful smart phones and tablets. one day, I sat with them and they told me their spending on these smart devices ( plus monthly services ), is about 30% to 40% of their regular 'salary'.

well, they put 1/3 of their income on these device, and they spend 1/3 of time on these devices. this is their life.

Thanks for adding some sense to the discussion.

Just look around you, what do you see? That's right, people looking at their phones, or furiously swiping at them.

A phone is important. People spend money on it. That's all. And also if you look around you you will realize that Thailand is not dirt poor. There is a lot of money here. 2M+ scooters get sold every year and anyone who can afford a scooter can afford a high end phone. For many, a phone will be the first thing they buy, long before they get a scooter.

No, it's not all gigs. The vast majority is people spending money on something they see as essential in their life. People having enough money to spend 25k on a phone.

A phone is a much more affordable luxury item than a bike or a car if you think about it. The standard crap phone is 5k baht. For only 20k more you get the Ferrari of phones instead. Unlike a real Ferrari, you're going to use this thing day in day out, so much that you have to keep a spare battery in your bag. Not many people have an extra 20M Baht for a Ferrari, but many can come up with an extra 20k for phone. Not all. But many.

And you get a really excellent digital camera thrown in for free. In fact with the many photo apps for effects, and instant sharing, my phone is a better camera than most cameras.

PS: I am actually amazed on the plans. Most (all?) Thais I've talked to spend more on the phone plan per month than I do - 700 -800 Baht! I have a 599 plan. And they don't need it, they could get away with a much cheaper plan as they're not using anywhere near the 2GB data limits on their plans, but they don't know how to do it. So they rent a room for 2,500 baht, and spend 800 baht on the phone bill.

Edited by nikster

After putting in the 6th replacement screen in a Nokia, I got an iPhone 5s,

It quickly made life easier. It also can do multiple jobs for me as things other than a phone.

I wish I had sprung for one ages ago. I did pay an extra 1,500 baht to not get stuck with a plan.

I pay as I go with the same number for 8 years.

Worst problem is needing to periodically pry it out of my daughters hands.

She is smitten.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by animatic

Iphones and other smart phones are a tool to facilitate and expediate meaningless consumption.

Why on earth would I pay 25K for a gadget so that I can be lured into wasting my valuable time playing with idiotic aps, facebook, and surfing kitten video clips.

I will stick with my pay as you go sim card and 450 THB dumb phone.

Smart phones are tantamount to wearing a brand name T-shirt with their name plastered on the front. You are paying a premium of your cash to further increase the profits of big business.

• Like 1

Iphones and other smart phones are a tool to facilitate and expediate meaningless consumption.

Why on earth would I pay 25K for a gadget so that I can be lured into wasting my valuable time playing with idiotic aps, facebook, and surfing kitten video clips.

I will stick with my pay as you go sim card and 450 THB dumb phone.

Smart phones are tantamount to wearing a brand name T-shirt with their name plastered on the front. You are paying a premium of your cash to further increase the profits of big business.

Agree with the most part,

However having a smart phone has bettered my life,

I can use googlemaps when I'm.lost

Or when I'm going somewhere (sure I can use an old fashioned map)

I can google something that I need to know eg phone number of a restauarbt I'm running late for

I get emails instantly so if I need to do something it doesn't have to wait until I get home or the next day

I can use apps to check out weather for the day ahead etc etc

So smart phones do have a important role in my eyes,

Obviously one doesn't need to spend 800 on the latest iPhone while their previous iPhone is adequate just because Steve Jobs tells you to

If Steve Jobs is telling you to upgrade to the newest release well then you have bigger issues than being able to purchase a smart phone.

Saying that I guess you could use those talking to the dead skills to save up the coin to buy the new iphone.

• Like 1