No More Thai Visa Runs - What Can I Do Next? (Advice Please)

Good-afternoon.

I am a 33 year old British passport holder, who has been residing in Thailand, by the use of tourist visas, and then 60 day extensions at immigration, as I have a thai child. I am not married.

I entered Thailand initially in Nov 2012 on a double entry tourist visa from the RTC @ Hull in the UK, since that expired, I now have a further 3 single entry tourist visas which i obtained from the Thai Embassy in Phnom Penh (+ 60 day extensions at my local immigration office).

My current 60 day extension expires on 5 August.

- Could I go to Mae Sai and get a 15 day extension still or not on 5 August?

- Could I fly out of the country and back in (can it be the same day?), then obtain a 30 day VOA (with no onward flight details to leave Thailand)?

- Could I apply for a further extension of stay at my local immigration office (CNX)? (I am unsure as I done this last time for my current 60 day extension, as having a thai child).

- If I was to fly to Cambodia, would the Thai Embassy issue me with another single entry tourist visa? Again when i would return to Thailand, I would have no onward flight details to leave country, is this likely to be an issue if i arrive on another tourist visa??

- Is is possible of obtaining non-imm o visa at the Thai Embassy in Laos or Cambodia based on having a child in Thailand. Also what documents/financials would I have to show?

- Say I can transfer 400K THB to my thai bank in the next week (by 30 July), is there anyway I can then obtain a non-imm o visa within Thailand (due to having a thai child), by 5 August, I suspect the timescales will be too tight......

- Erm if all of the above seems too difficult, what is the quickest way of obtaining an Education Visa and would I have to leave the country to acquire an Ed Visa?

- If I flew back to the UK, would I be able to apply for a non o visa (based on having a thai child) and what documents/financials must be shown?

Any advice would be most welcome. Thanks.

UbonJoe is the expert. I know you can get a 1 year non O at Savanakhet based on marriage (family) with no financial proof needed. This can then be extended with the correct documentation and financial requirements next year. I suspect you could get the same family category if you can prove the child is your dependant. Ubonjoe will be along for sure.

• Like 1

thai elite have 2 card options 20 years for thb 2million, or a 5 yr card for thb500,000.......

or u can try pick one of the previously sold one from the 2nd hand market for about thb1/1.5 mill which gives 30 years...

this is only a suggestion if you financial and the quickest safest possible method

Hi guys.

I might need to get non O visa in Savanakhet. How hard/easy is to get it if you are married? What are the chances for complications?

I cannot get 400k in bank at moment.

Thanks.

No need to show money in Savanakhet, but paperwork (signed by wife) required.

See: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/741198-savannakhet-non-imm-o-visa-multiple-plus-bus-travel/

rob69

Posted Yesterday, 14:16

Good-afternoon.

I am a 33 year old British passport holder, who has been residing in Thailand, by the use of tourist visas, and then 60 day extensions at immigration, as I have a thai child.

I am not married.

I entered Thailand initially in Nov 2012 on a double entry tourist visa from the RTC @ Hull in the UK, since that expired, I now have a further 3 single entry tourist visas which i obtained from the Thai Embassy in Phnom Penh (+ 60 day extensions at my local immigration office).

- Could I fly out of the country and back in (can it be the same day?), then obtain a 30 day VOA (with no onward flight details to leave Thailand)?

- Could I apply for a further extension of stay at my local immigration office (CNX)? (I am unsure as I done this last time for my current 60 day extension, as having a thai child).

- If I was to fly to Cambodia, would the Thai Embassy issue me with another single entry tourist visa? Again when i would return to Thailand, I would have no onward flight details to leave country, is this likely to be an issue if i arrive on another tourist visa??

- Is is possible of obtaining non-imm o visa at the Thai Embassy in Laos or Cambodia based on having a child in Thailand. Also what documents/financials would I have to show?

- Say I can transfer 400K THB to my thai bank in the next week (by 30 July), is there anyway I can then obtain a non-imm o visa within Thailand (due to having a thai child), by 5 August, I suspect the timescales will be too tight......

- Erm if all of the above seems too difficult, what is the quickest way of obtaining an Education Visa and would I have to leave the country to acquire an Ed Visa?

- If I flew back to the UK, would I be able to apply for a non o visa (based on having a thai child) and what documents/financials must be shown?

its people like this that will have to make some life choices real soon ... either marriage or work ...

Rob69, you are 33, in the prime of your life.

You need to ask yourself: "is all this visa stuff worth the hassle of doing for the next 20-30 years"?

What about your Thai child? Couldn't she get British citizenship, seeing as she is your child? She would have a better life in the UK. Proper education, etc.

What about you? Couldn't you find suitable employment in the UK. Save your money. Invest in a pension plan? Retire properly with some money in your pocket.

You know, if some of you younger guys put as much effort into working at a proper job "back home", instead of attempting to find ways of skirting the visa laws...you might create a good life for yourself. IMO.

How about finding a job in Thailand (if that's what the OP wants?) Note that it's not that easy to do, in the case of an expat, but certainly in the long term someone in their early 30s (or 20s or even 40s) would not want to just sit around and do nothing, especially with a young child. They certainly wouldn't want to just exist long term on tourist visas. For 6 months or so, fine, but not for 20-30 years (or even 10 years) as you have suggested maxjay. I think it's up to the OP to decide if he wants to live in Thailand or the UK and if it turns out he would rather live in Thailand, so let him. But I would suggest put more effort into trying to find a job because otherwise there's only the non-O visa as a realistic method of staying long term. Of course a work permit is available on that too, but my point is that staying long term on tourist visas is not the way to go, not so much because it could become difficult but because realistically, most people at that age are either working or studying (mostly for a graduate degree) or perhaps both.

rob69

Good-afternoon.

I am a 33 year old British passport holder, who has been residing in Thailand, by the use of tourist visas, and then 60 day extensions at immigration, as I have a thai child.

I am not married.

its people like this that will have to make some life choices real soon ... either marriage or work ...

Rob69, you are 33, in the prime of your life.

You need to ask yourself: "is all this visa stuff worth the hassle of doing for the next 20-30 years"?

What about your Thai child? Couldn't she get British citizenship, seeing as she is your child? She would have a better life in the UK. Proper education, etc.

What about you? Couldn't you find suitable employment in the UK. Save your money. Invest in a pension plan? Retire properly with some money in your pocket.

You know, if some of you younger guys put as much effort into working at a proper job "back home", instead of attempting to find ways of skirting the visa laws...you might create a good life for yourself. IMO.

Are you for real or just trolling?

• Like 1

rob69

Good-afternoon.

I am not married.

Rob69, you are 33, in the prime of your life. If you say so, my personal view is that my early - mid twenties was a pretty good time in my life.

You need to ask yourself: "is all this visa stuff worth the hassle of doing for the next 20-30 years"? Its a bit of a pain in the ass, but these are the rules we must adhere by if we wish to remain living in Thailand. Maybe they will overhual the visa process in future years, nobody knows. I don't thinking renewing a visa once a year (if i get a non-imm o visa, based on having 400k in the bank and a thai child), is that much hassle to be honest.

What about your Thai child? Couldn't she get British citizenship, seeing as she is your child? She would have a better life in the UK. Proper education, etc. Thai child is a boy 18 months old. Yes I suspect we will apply for a British passport shortly. Whilst living in the UK you do get some perks for having a child, and healthcare and schooling is mainly free. But its hardly outrageously expensive in Thailand, and there are some decent school here to send your child too if you have $.

What about you? Couldn't you find suitable employment in the UK. Save your money. Invest in a pension plan? Retire properly with some money in your pocket. I am asking for advice on this forum about visas, What about you? I probably could find some suitable employment in the UK. However I worked for 10 years in an office based environment and the thought of staring at a computer screen for another 10 years is something id rather not think about. I have a little savings left, and own a property in Thailand and in the UK. I have a current pension plan from the 10 years work with my previous employer, it wont be amazing, but seems to increase in value each year (I haven't worked properly say for 5 years).

You know, if some of you younger guys put as much effort into working at a proper job "back home", instead of attempting to find ways of skirting the visa laws...you might create a good life for yourself. When I was in my 20s, I put a fair amount of effort in to a so called 'proper job' back in the UK, thats why i guess the previous 5-6 years have been pretty good to me.

Next time i need a career adviser ill give u a PM!whistling.gif

• Like 1

Documents Required for non o based on being a father.

Originals and copies: Childs birth certificate stating you as father ( the copy you can sign or your childs behalf) Childs mothers birth certificate (signed copy) and house book listing child and mother (signed copy) Signed copy of mothers ID card (I took original also just in case)

Also take relevant documents to process your visa as per normal..signed copy of your passport, copy of Lao visa and exit visa from Thailand.

Embassy will want to see originals just to look at them.

Do process the legitimisation of your child at the court in Chiang Mai, just go there and ask around can take up to 3 months depending on how busy the court is. Take the same paper work! I am currently undergoing same process.

Edit,

no financials were required at the embassy in Laos or court (Roi Et). Was there only few weeks ago, but take them anyway can´t go wrong with too much information.

Edited by DerekMarshall

Hi guys.

I might need to get non O visa in Savanakhet. How hard/easy is to get it if you are married? What are the chances for complications?

I cannot get 400k in bank at moment.

Thanks.

No need to show money in Savanakhet, but paperwork (signed by wife) required.

See: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/741198-savannakhet-non-imm-o-visa-multiple-plus-bus-travel/

Is there a time period that the 400K has to be in a Thai bank account for (i.e at least 3 months)?

Rob69 wrote:

I am not married.

When I was in my 20s, I put a fair amount of effort in to a so called 'proper job' back in the UK, thats why i guess the previous 5-6 years have been pretty good to me.

Maybe they will overhual the visa process in future years, nobody knows. I don't thinking renewing a visa once a year (if i get a non-imm o visa, based on having 400k in the bank and a thai child), is that much hassle to be honest.

Next time i need a career adviser ill give u a PM!whistling.gif.pagespeed.ce.FVjgnKnWS1.pn

Good for you Rob69.

However, 33 years minus "5-6 years" = 27 or 28. So you're saying you amassed this great fortune, before you were 28? Wow! I admire your youthful productivity.

I hope you enjoy the next 17 years, dealing with the continual new visa laws, and the visa runs that go round and round and round, never stopping never ending, never no light at the end of the tunnel, it will be like a walk in an endless desert all you see is sand, or spending your youth staring at a blank wall whilst banging your head on it.

You are correct, going to Immigration once a year is not a hassle. Reporting every 90 days is not a hassle. However, I've had a "retirement visa" for 14 years now. I go to the immigration office maybe 4-5 times a year.

Personally, I wouldn't go through with the hassle of out-of-the-country visa runs every 30-60-90 days. To each his own though.

Perhaps, as you wrote, they will "overhaul the visa process" for you younger guys.

Continue to keep us updated Rob69 on your journey to the magical age of 50, when you will become legally eligible for a "retirement visa".

Good night and good luck...I sincerely mean that.

Edited by maxjay

Thanks for the reply maxjay. I just thought the tone of your original post was somewhat harsh, thus my direct response in bold lol. Your probably not a bad guy imo.

Blimey the retirement visa seems a far distance away me right now at this point in my life, and who knows where i could be in some 16 years from now. But if I happen to be in Thailand, ill buy you a few beers to celebrate, or commiserate, one of the two!!...tongue.png

iancnx, ubonjoe and DerekMarshall thanks for your helpful replies. Think ill get myself over to Laos early next week and get the non o visa (single entry). I guess its the quickest place to go. Just out of curiosity, are there any other Thai Consulates in the region, that will offer the same visa with only a copy of birth certificate and house book?? Cheers.

Edited by rob69