How do you like being called "farang"

expat888

You're confused. Both words would be used in the same way in its spoken language. But if you're going to mix Thai and English words, then it's going to sound awkward. It seems every example that you guys present never makes any sense. But really, what's your point? Are you trying to get Thais to stop using their own word? Good luck with that.

Yes, you can do it, and a good way to start is to not use the term yourself, and let the Thais know that we in fact prefer to not be referred to as "farang" whitey in every possible situation.

You haven't read through have you that why you make such an ignorant daft comment.

Geesu how many more Thai basher are there.

I am not a Thai basher, I totally believe Thais are able to understand that racism is not good, and that we "whiteys" prefer to not be called "farang" in every possible situation.

Many foreigners on the other hand, do believe Thais are retarded and enjoys being the clown "farang" as they see Thai culture as non-harmful and childlike stupid and innocent.

If Thai culture would be considered superior/intelligent over most other western countries, way less Western foreigners would enjoy the status of being the "whitey", and way more foreigners would question it.

Well you sound like one to me farangie whether you think it or not.

Try to absorb ' Berkshire ' post.

I really dislike people who write or maybe talk like you do, and I doubt if you go down well with Thai people either but you will still get a smile. smile.png

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny this. My wife and her family/friends speak about farangs constantly. I mean, every other word is ...farang. I play a little game with her...when we go shopping and see a farang, I tug on my wife's arm and point, while saying..."Hey look...farang..farang!!!" She says...."You are not polite, do not say farang."

Did you ask your wife why ? biggrin.png

I get called farang regularly by my peers. I can read, write and speak Thai proficiently. So you wonder why I'm called Farang? Simply because I can't eat many of the local Thai dishes. I hate pala and anything that smells foul. I don't take offensive to it. I actually find it quite amusing sometimes. WHY would I let someone I don't know OFFEND me by one stupid silly word ?

• Like 1

It is not an insult at being called a farang, the word itself does not mean so, it simply to distinguish between a foreigner or white western people, in some countries they are called whites (is it an insult? ) in certain places like for example in Reunion - an indian ocean island - they are called "Zoreilles" which means "ears" in english, nobody is offended about being called like that there. In Thailand the word Farang means guava where as french people are called farangse (francais) which has nothing to do with guava.

Funny this. I just got off the phone with my best Thai mate and asked him if Farang was racial.

He laughed and said, of course it is.

Of course, I don't believe you. Besides, what Thai would even understand what you mean by "racial." I don't even understand what you mean by that.

• Like 1