How do you like being called "farang"

expat888

I really hope this thread will be shut down soon. It's only the non Thai speakers that seem offended.

If you're Irish people call you Paddy or Mick until they get to know you better. If you're Scottish - Jock. American - Yank. English - Limey or Pom.

These are not blatant racist expressions but they are thrown around until you become friends.

Falung ranks about the same. If you really are that sensitive seek medical help.

The difference is that we generally don't call Jocks that when they can hear.

If you learn Thai, you learn how racist farang is

They never say khon farang(white person), like they do other races. They say "farang" or " farang mun" if they don't know we speak the language. Mun is really derogatory and racist. Whites and blacks are called mun.

Sorry mate. You need to learn more Thai. Whites and blacks are not called mun. Anyone can be called mun. Not exactly polite but no racial links whatsoever. I use it myself to refer to a wide variety of people, as do Thais.

Never have I been refered to as "farang mun", nor have I ever heard it used.

As to Khun Farang, it just sounds silly. Although staff at work sometimes use it with me but always playfully and with a smile.

• Like 2

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are no problems with foreigners owning their own land here, in their own name, as long as they invest 40m baht.

Unrelated to that, the largest land owner in Thailand is American.

An English woman owns Walking Street

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Yes all of the above but thats why most of us recive the pension " thats called physical discrimination" another kettle of fish!!!

Racism is treating unfairly "as in double priceing" or withholding advantage from people because of their race. " Yet a foreigner may not own land in his own name" not raceism ey ?

Mr. Dagobert.... from all I did see from your posts - above just two examples - you seem to have a lot of mental issues with the way the Thai people run their country and how they call you... in addition, you also seem to have a lot of mental issues with the way your home country treats you...

I agree with Soutpeel that you seem to "need" the feeling of being the victim - there are however people - psychiatrists - who could help you dealing with your permanent negative side...

• Like 2

I have been in Thailand for a long time and I recently became tired of being called farang. Is there a nice word for people different from you? If there is, then they are few. There are many more that are belittling and I believe farang is one of them.

Several times I have walked down a residential street and a toddler barely able to walk shouts, farang, farang! It's like after they learn the words mommy and daddy then farang is next. (Maybe I have that in reverse)

I am beginning to feel like a monkey in a cage and the Thais can shout obscenities and throw food at their enjoyment.

Today, I went to my corner store to grab a couple beers and a grandmother with two very small children were sitting at the entrance. Immediately, one of the children starting shouting farang, farang while the grandmother laughed. I had a glass of wine previous to approaching the store and with little restraint I mocked back saying farang, farang! Just an impulse but I was surprised at the reaction. The grandmother acted like I insulted her! .

Anyway, I felt better on the walk home and enjoyed my beer.

Its better than to be called 'Guava'

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I have been in Thailand for a long time and I recently became tired of being called farang. Is there a nice word for people different from you? If there is, then they are few. There are many more that are belittling and I believe farang is one of them.

Several times I have walked down a residential street and a toddler barely able to walk shouts, farang, farang! It's like after they learn the words mommy and daddy then farang is next. (Maybe I have that in reverse)

I am beginning to feel like a monkey in a cage and the Thais can shout obscenities and throw food at their enjoyment.

Today, I went to my corner store to grab a couple beers and a grandmother with two very small children were sitting at the entrance. Immediately, one of the children starting shouting farang, farang while the grandmother laughed. I had a glass of wine previous to approaching the store and with little restraint I mocked back saying farang, farang! Just an impulse but I was surprised at the reaction. The grandmother acted like I insulted her! .

Anyway, I felt better on the walk home and enjoyed my beer.

Its better than to be called 'Guava'

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

There are two usages for Guava, which you may not realize

1. Just simply means Farang

2. This is used in somewhat of a derogatory way to refer to Kon Thai who try to impress by acting (dressing) like Farang.

Did you know this, too?

Edited by GLOPglopMAmaTONG

I think we'd be better served by a psychiatrist if he helped us come up with a name of equal meaning for all Thais, and we could use this name while speaking English with Thais around. We could use this name and snicker as we say it, and overuse it as complete strangers (Thais) walk by, and they know we are talking about them, but they don't know what we are saying. But we are laughing. Perhaps we are laughing at how stupid they are, how small they are, or how smart they are.

Maybe we could even get government offices in other countries to use the term. Immigration officials could use the term as Thais cross into other countries. Courtrooms where a Thai is on trial the term could be used. Whatever the case.... the Thai wont know exactly what we mean by it because of the many esoteric meanings. And, it will be such a satisfying feeling that we must continue using the term beyond utter exhaustion. Then, maybe then, a Thai might stop and think "maybe I should not say 'farang' so much". Nah.

Edited by isawasnake

Doesn't Farlang come from the French "Colonial" days ?

So you are basically being called a Feenchie, some would think that is the worse bit .... cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

If this is true,

then Farang IS an offensive term, who wants to be known as a "garlic eating surrender monkey" ... I certainly dont

So maybe TV resident Thai cultural experts are correct, Falang is intended as an offensive term, and the Thai's are running around insulting everyone by calling them froggies

Yes all of the above but thats why most of us recive the pension " thats called physical discrimination" another kettle of fish!!!

Racism is treating unfairly "as in double priceing" or withholding advantage from people because of their race. " Yet a foreigner may not own land in his own name" not raceism ey ?

Mr. Dagobert.... from all I did see from your posts - above just two examples - you seem to have a lot of mental issues with the way the Thai people run their country and how they call you... in addition, you also seem to have a lot of mental issues with the way your home country treats you...

I agree with Soutpeel that you seem to "need" the feeling of being the victim - there are however people - psychiatrists - who could help you dealing with your permanent negative side...

Swiss 1960, One post is mine, one post is quoted, The way Thais run

their country is in the same way as my other home country, As for mental issues and the need to have the feeling of being the victim, I have a choice and call two countrys home.

as for a permanent negative side wrong again i have posted my opinion and what you

read into that is of no concern to mine.

I Come back to original post question , for me being called a farang means to be a super vip rich guy.

And I like it... Make me feel special. In Europe or USA, you are a number, just a tax payer like anyone else, in Thailand people look at you, ladies look at you and smile when you look at them or say something, is that not sweet?

Edited by bitcoinman
  • Like 1

Well you are correct this can be construed as racism. Double pricing is a normal tourist rip off the same as in most countries but it's in your face in Thailand. However you are allowed to buy a condo or land with a Thai wife. It's just the rules of the game here.

I really hope this thread will be shut down soon. It's only the non Thai speakers that seem offended.

If you're Irish people call you Paddy or Mick until they get to know you better. If you're Scottish - Jock. American - Yank. English - Limey or Pom.

These are not blatant racist expressions but they are thrown around until you become friends.

Falung ranks about the same. If you really are that sensitive seek medical help.

They never say khon farang(white person), like they do other races. They say "farang" or " farang mun" if they don't know we speak the language. Mun is really derogatory and racist. Whites and blacks are called mun.

I always call Jocks, Jocks and Micks or Paddys to their face they don't mind. I don't know where you get falung mun from. Do you mean mun falung? Potatato?

Mun when used as a form of address means it.

Black people are called I Murt or I Damm.

ATF look very carefully that is your post that i have quoted 498, As for owning realestate

in Thailand, the same here in Bali use the missus name the hold a contract on the property!!!

I have been lambasted for saying this many times but at one point falungs were allowed to own up to one rai of land with their Thai wife.

It doesn't bother me because I just put land in my kids names who are Thai Citizens.

I always call Jocks, Jocks and Micks or Paddys to their face they don't mind. I don't know where you get falung mun from. Do you mean mun falung? Potatato?

Mun when used as a form of address means it.

Black people are called I Murt or I Damm.

No, I did not mean that, I meant mak farang.

Sorry mate. You need to learn more Thai. Whites and blacks are not called mun. Anyone can be called mun. Not exactly polite but no racial links whatsoever. I use it myself to refer to a wide variety of people, as do Thais.

Never have I been refered to as "farang mun", nor have I ever heard it used.

As to Khun Farang, it just sounds silly. Although staff at work sometimes use it with me but always playfully and with a smile.

I actually speak Thai fluently. I meant that Whites and Blacks are called 'mun' when the pronoun is used relating to the group of people.

I regularly hear "farang, mun gin man farang boi boi, (Whites, they eat potatoes often)for example or "ai meut, mun mai ab naam"(Blacks, they don't shower)

This sounds terribly racist, I know but just calling a spade a spade. I hear this kind of talk a lot.

Khun farang sounds silly but I said khon farang.

Edited by Sawan Chan 7

No, I did not mean that, I meant mak farang.

Maak Falung means chewing gum. Mun Falung means Potato. Mun Falung Thawd means French Fries. Mun Falung Boat means Mashed Potatoes. Maak among it's many other meanings means Beetle Nut the stuff with red juice old women chew.

Edited by ATF

I actually speak Thai fluently. I meant that Whites and Blacks are called 'mun' when the pronoun is used relating to the group of people.

I regularly hear "farang, mun gin man farang boi boi, (Whites, they eat potatoes often)for example or "ai meut, mun mai ab naam"(Blacks, they don't shower)

This sounds terribly racist, I know but just calling a spade a spade. I hear this kind of talk a lot.

I believe although I could be wrong you are mishearing what they say. I am sure they are are saying Falung Nun which means that or those Falung.

I believe although I could be wrong you are mishearing what they say. I am sure they are are saying Falung Nun which means that or those Falung.

Erm, you are wrong.

Erm, you are wrong.

Well unless Mun is being used as "it" which is very impolite I don't have an explanation unless it's an Isaan thing.

Erm, you are wrong.

Well unless Mun is being used as "it" which is very impolite I don't have an explanation unless it's an Isaan thing.

Yes, it's very impolite hence why I wrote about it. Thais are extremely xenophobic and like to feel superior to farang by using this word.

Trust me, I know what I hear.

Ever hear' sawn jarakay wai naam'?

Edited by Sawan Chan 7

Erm, you are wrong.

Yes, it's very impolite hence why I wrote about it. Thais are extremely xenophobic and like to feel superior to farang by using this word.

Your posting is quite short please elaborate TVF does not charge by the word: "No one is looking please tell us what does it mean ?

It's the equivalent of don't teach your grandmother how to suck eggs.

However once you cross the barrier of language and culture you will be accepted as Thai but it doesn't make it easy if you are very physically different.

However once you cross the barrier of language and culture you will be accepted as Thai but it doesn't make it easy if you are very physically different.

Cross the barrier........accepted as a thai.

Please enlighten us with some examples.

Thanks.

When using "mun" as a pronoun to refer to a person it is not always intended to be rude. It is quite often simply low class talk. I used to be extremely offended when I was refereed to as "mun", but I have softened up a bit on that lately after hearing low class Thai people using it to refer to each other in a friendly, usually drunken, way.

I'm not disagreeing with you that it can be rude. Certainly it can be intentionally used in that way. It often is, but not always. When it is intended to be insulting it is far more offensive to me than "farang" ever could be.

Or am I wrong?

I've never heard 'sawn jarakay wai naam'... I know it means "teach a crocodile to swim... but I don't get the context?

Cross the barrier........accepted as a thai.

Please enlighten us with some examples.

Thanks.

Well if you're 6ft 4'' with blonde hair and blue eyes it's going to be very difficult but if you speak Thai fluently and understand the culture. I mean Bangkok Culture and you are not too physically different Thais will feel comfortable associating with you and accept you. That's been my experience anyway.

When using "mun" as a pronoun to refer to a person it is not always intended to be rude. It is quite often simply low class talk. I used to be extremely offended when I was refereed to as "mun", but I have softened up a bit on that lately after hearing low class Thai people using it to refer to each other in a friendly, usually drunken, way.

I'm not disagreeing with you that it can be rude. Certainly it can be intentionally used in that way. It often is, but not always. When it is intended to be insulting it is far more offensive to me than "farang" ever could be.

Or am I wrong?

I've never heard 'sawn jarakay wai naam'... I know it means "teach a crocodile to swim... but I don't get the context?

Agreed Mun is impolite but what I really hate is NEE. I'll slap any Thai that says that to me.

All foreigners, including Japanese, Koreans, Chinese (i.e., of the same race as Thais) are subject to the same restrictions. So how is that racism? Nevermind dingo...eh dago....whatever. I'm convinced you're just jerking our chain. Because seriously, nobody could be this stupid. So troll away if you must. But like a tree falling in the forest when no one is around, no Thais are hearing you.