How do you like being called "farang"

expat888

thais started to call westerners ¨farang¨ since the french vietnamese war around 1950, and nowadays in 2014 they still calling it

this tells you quite a lot of about evolution capacity of thai people

There are thousands of English words that goes back centuries. Does that tell you a lot about the evolution capacity of westerners?

is any of the words you are talking about still being used by locals of a country to reffer only to the westerners or white people who visit this country?

If your answer is no, then is because you didn't understand what I was talking about

neither did anyone else. try again

I believe the post is stating it is bigots who use slang racial terms as a matter of course when referring to others. And that it's the sign of a developed country that this is no longer acceptable, and it's the sign of a culture stuck in the past that it is.

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe the post is stating it is bigots who use slang racial terms as a matter of course when referring to others. And that it's the sign of a developed country that this is no longer acceptable, and it's the sign of a culture stuck in the past that it is.

what a load!

• Like 2

thais started to call westerners ¨farang¨ since the french vietnamese war around 1950, and nowadays in 2014 they still calling it

There are thousands of English words that goes back centuries. Does that tell you a lot about the evolution capacity of westerners?

is any of the words you are talking about still being used by locals of a country to reffer only to the westerners or white people who visit this country?

If your answer is no, then is because you didn't understand what I was talking about

That is a succinct a meaning that is OK.

As I said, Thais wouldn't like to have a nickname assigned to them in general would they.

If I meet people in the UK and they generically talk about my wife being Asian, I correct them and say shes Thai.

If they talk rudely about her in English and she doesn't understand, I answer on her behalf.

Its just blatently rude to talk about the "falang" in a foreign language around him or her.

Might as well say "thing".

As I said, Thais wouldn't like to have a nickname assigned to them in general would they.

If I meet people in the UK and they generically talk about my wife being Asian, I correct them and say shes Thai.

If they talk rudely about her in English and she doesn't understand, I answer on her behalf.

Its just blatently rude to talk about the "falang" in a foreign language around him or her.

so you think your friends are being bigots by referring to your wife as asian? I dont!

• Like 1

so you think your friends are being bigots by referring to your wife as asian? I dont!

Context is everything.

We've all been there . falang can be used in many hundreds of contexts. There was a moment I remember with my in laws where I started to be called by my name.

My father never adressed my wife as the " asian" girls or woman. She had a name.

we

Naming people in a general manner is rude . we all did it as kids. Teachers became slang names, police became this or that.

I have never been seriously disrespected by being called Farang, because I speak good enough Thai to converse. But would I sit in my own house and call someone the black guy at the table or the Asian guy on the end.

Wouldn't dare to do it. Farang is at minimum ignorant and rude. I have a name. Please address me by it. God knows could you imagine.

Hi,this is Bob,his wife is the slapper standing over there? If someone belongs to a family, they aren't just any farang, they are at least someone's Farang and if he doesnt like it, they should change his title out of respect.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Context is everything.

We've all been there . falang can be used in many hundreds of contexts. There was a moment I remember with my in laws where I started to be called by my name.

My father never adressed my wife as the " asian" girls or woman. She had a name.

we

Naming people in a general manner is rude . we all did it as kids. Teachers became slang names, police became this or that.

I have never been seriously disrespected by being called Farang, because I speak good enough Thai to converse. But would I sit in my own house and call someone the black guy at the table or the Asian guy on the end.

Wouldn't dare to do it. Farang is at minimum ignorant and rude. I have a name. Please address me by it. God knows could you imagine.

Hi,this is Bob,his wife is the slapper standing over there? If someone belongs to a family, they aren't just any farang, they are at least someone's Farang and if he doesnt like it, they should change his title out of respect.

of course someone calls you by your name when talking to you or to someone else that knows you. thats isnt what this is about. itss about one more way to whine about thais who refer to us a farang which is no different than us referring to them as asians.

• Like 1

It's not a foreign language - it's Thai. You can hardly complain that people are using it in Thailand.

As I said it's all context. I haven't been called a falang among Thai friends for many many years. I speak pretty good Thai, and I go by my name in company.

In a general term as a quick classifier to identify someone in general it isn't that offensive. Its all about manners and Khun Bob or Khun Jim among friends is formal and polite.

Context is everything.

we

of course someone calls you by your name when talking to you or to someone else that knows you. thats isnt what this is about. itss about one more way to whine about thais who refer to us a farang which is no different than us referring to them as asians.

Please don't tell me you haven't heard yourself reffered to by the group of people around you as "falang" and realised that no one gives a damn about your opinion or desire for anything right there and then.

Kae bpen falang nang yoo....kae bpen falang doo yoo....kae bpen falang jai bin.... I refused to be just a "falang" sitting somewhere years ago.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Context is everything.

we

Please don't tell me you haven't heard yourself reffered to by the group of people around you as "falang" and realised that no one gives a damn about your opinion or desire for anything right there and then.

Kae bpen falang nang yoo....kae bpen falang doo yoo....kae bpen falang jai bin.... I refused to be just a "falang" sitting somewhere years ago.

not if the group all know my name. never happened.

nope, if EVERYONE talking about me knows my name, they refer to me by my name or leung. and if the speaker knows me and the other person doesnt, it will be leung.

at the post office the otherday, and wifey having problems. I stepped forward and, trying to help, uttered: ' ...the asian wife english second language..."

Wife glared at me - but hey tit for tat- and she got what she wanted at the PO counter. Job's done!!

Still laughing at this one: "thais started to call westerners ¨farang¨ since the french vietnamese war around 1950, and nowadays in 2014 they still calling it this tells you quite a lot of about evolution capacity of thai people"

- it is more likely that 1590 is a wee bit closer to the approximate Century when the visiting French trading tribes, of the era, started getting called the farang word

Edited by tifino
  • Like 1

Context is everything.

we

not if the group all know my name. never happened.

Then that is context.

There comes a point when Thais speak among themselves where a person becomes a falang that is different from the west. Many Thais think its OK to call u a Farang if they don't know u.

This can extend to service staff in a hotel or a airport or an ignorant relativr who had too many.labels are lazy and mostly rude. Don't use them.

Note, Asians don't call each other Asians for fear of offending each other.

the "fookrwee" title never caught on in Africa, and that came up only a couple of decades ago.

the "farang" word is drilled into kids' heads from an early age.

Amazingly it first started out as a term of respect, or acknowledgement of those french tribe traders.

Nowadays it has become twisted into a joke word.

I smile when I hear jokes - so, when I hear "farang" word being bounced around, I smile and continue the joke - and wifey don't like that, because she wants me to be emabarrass so to reject her words...

she wants the power over me in front of her friends

the "fookrwee" title never caught on in Africa, and that came up only a couple of decades ago.

the "farang" word is drilled into kids' heads from an early age.

Amazingly it first started out as a term of respect, or acknowledgement of those french tribe traders.

Nowadays it has become twisted into a joke word.

I smile when I hear jokes - so, when I hear "farang" word being bounced around, I smile and continue the joke - and wifey don't like that, because she wants me to be emabarrass so to reject her words...

she wants the power over me in front of her friends

Forgive off topic a bit but :-

The ' fookrwee ' were a tribe in Africa, weren't they, and were called that because they were small and lived in very high grass land area, and they got the name because it was the only recognized English they spoke.

When they got lost they would jump up and down shouting " Whe're the Fxxx are we "

Edited by Kwasaki

Geez, do you have reading comprehension issues? For the umpteenth time, "farang" is not a "slang racial term." It is a Thai word which refers to people of European descent. It has nothing to do with skin color. It is no different than the words Caucasian, Asian, or Hispanic. What part of that do you not understand?

Farang: White, Farang dam: Black...

Everything to do with skin colour. Still that's not the point.

When referring about Hispanic people or a Hispanic person, you use it in the context I just have "people or person." Same as Thai person or Thai people. You wouldn't individually call someone Hispanic. "Hey, Hispanic, sit here"

Your point doesn't add up.

It's a mute augment for me, where as I don't like individually being called farang, in a group sense it's a readily avilable word which I use myself within the Thai language.

In the right contex there's nothing wrong with the word....

I always yell back "Khon Thai, Khon Thai"... so they know how stupid it sounds.

Usually gets the response I want.

Why do you shout that? They don't call you khon farang.

Too much respect.

What response do you get?

Edited by Neeranam

You want people to look at you and laugh?

I have this vision of some Scotsmen calling someone an Asian and some japanese fellow bowing and bowing saying "Scots person Scots person"

and the Scotsmen thinking wow, don't mess with this guy.

You want people to look at you and laugh?

I have this vision of some Scotsmen calling someone an Asian and some japanese fellow bowing and bowing saying "Scots person Scots person"

and the Scotsmen thinking wow, don't mess with this guy.

Reminds me of a joke.

The Air Canada plane leaves Pearson Airport under the control of a Jewish captain; his co-pilot is Chinese. It's the first time they've flown together and an awkward silence between the two seems to indicate a mutual dislike. Once they reach cruising altitude, the Jewish captain activates the auto-pilot, leans back in his seat, and mutters, 'I don't like Chinese..' 'No rike Chinese?' asks the co-pilot, 'why not?' 'You people bombed Pearl Harbor , that's why!' 'No, no', the co-pilot protests, 'Chinese not bomb Peahl Hahbah! That Japanese, not Chinese.' 'Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese....doesn't matter, you're all alike!' There's a few minutes of silence. 'I no rike Jews!' the co-pilot suddenly announces. 'Oh yeah, why not?' asks the captain. 'Jews sink Titanic!' says the co-pilot. 'What? You're insane! Jews didn't sink the Titanic!' exclaims the captain, 'It was an iceberg!' Iceberg, Goldberg, Greenberg, Rosenberg , ..no mattah...all fukin same.
laugh.png
  • Like 2

Try "dam dam" or 'dam pit pee" as a reply.

It means "very dark skin"

Better pronounced dumb,dumb =being dark!

There is accepted transliteration systems but I have never seen "dumb dumb"

I've heard "dam pit pee" a few times but still no idea what 'pit pee' means.

Try "dam dam" or 'dam pit pee" as a reply.

It means "very dark skin"

Better pronounced dumb,dumb =being dark!

There is accepted transliteration systems but I have never seen "dumb dumb"

I've heard "dam pit pee" a few times but still no idea what 'pit pee' means.

Pit is wrong and pee is ghost , I guess the ghost was wrong.laugh.png

Geez, do you have reading comprehension issues? For the umpteenth time, "farang" is not a "slang racial term." It is a Thai word which refers to people of European descent. It has nothing to do with skin color. It is no different than the words Caucasian, Asian, or Hispanic. What part of that do you not understand?

When referring about Hispanic people or a Hispanic person, you use it in the context I just have "people or person." Same as Thai person or Thai people. You wouldn't individually call someone Hispanic. "Hey, Hispanic, sit here"

You're confused. Both words would be used in the same way in its spoken language. But if you're going to mix Thai and English words, then it's going to sound awkward. It seems every example that you guys present never makes any sense. But really, what's your point? Are you trying to get Thais to stop using their own word? Good luck with that.

• Like 1

You're confused. Both words would be used in the same way in its spoken language. But if you're going to mix Thai and English words, then it's going to sound awkward. It seems every example that you guys present never makes any sense. But really, what's your point? Are you trying to get Thais to stop using their own word? Good luck with that.

Yes, you can do it, and a good way to start is to not use the term yourself, and let the Thais know that we in fact prefer to not be referred to as "farang" whitey in every possible situation.

• Like 1