How do you like being called "farang"

expat888

I actually speak Thai fluently. I meant that Whites and Blacks are called 'mun' when the pronoun is used relating to the group of people.

I regularly hear "farang, mun gin man farang boi boi, (Whites, they eat potatoes often)for example or "ai meut, mun mai ab naam"(Blacks, they don't shower)

This sounds terribly racist, I know but just calling a spade a spade. I hear this kind of talk a lot.

Khun farang sounds silly but I said khon farang.

Erm, you are wrong.

Yes, it's very impolite hence why I wrote about it. Thais are extremely xenophobic and like to feel superior to farang by using this word.

Trust me, I know what I hear.

Ever hear' sawn jarakay wai naam'?

You may know what you hear but you do not know the meaning. If your favorite football team plays terribly would you not refer to them using "mun". "Everton mun len mai dai leuang mer wan", "Dek St. Joseph mun kayley mak", etc. (I am hopeless at karaoke Thai but you should get the meaning.) Where is the racisim there? You are refering to a group are you not? It is just Thai vernacular. You are ascribing racial overtones to the word "mun" when there are none, simply a negative tone. MPs regularly use the word for effect. But, yes, it is impolite.

Now if it was "ai farang", that would be a different matter. But again, in the right situation even that is not offensive (such as with very close friends). The same as meung and goo can be highly offensive but in the right situation quite normal.

I think you are both correct to some degree. Thais DO use the pronoun mun when referring to farang singular or plural. It is rude and racist.

Why do Thais say "farang man chop poo ying

KHON Thai" but " KHON Thai khao chop farang"?

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One is a fruit.

Ask a Thai person.laugh.png

Or try the " Thai langauge forum ".

I have always wondered why isn't ' Thai Visa ' called ' Farang Visa forum '. laugh.png

One is a fruit.

Ask a Thai person.laugh.png

Or try the " Thai langauge forum ".

I have always wondered why isn't ' Thai Visa ' called ' Farang Visa forum '. laugh.png

I thought it was called, "Sly Geezer forum." Aussie/Cockney rhyming slang of course. Thai Visa - Sly geezer.

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 1

The way to deal with this one is simple,

Thai: Hey Farang Farang

Farang: Pom mai bpen farang, pom bpen sapparot krap!

Gets a laugh every time!

So would saying pom pen kwai. You are making a fool of yourself, they are laughing at you.

It is completely different. Kwai is used to describe stupidity. They are calling me a fruit, I am saying I am another fruit. Wise up newbie! The one making a fool of himself is who?

They are not calling you a fruit. Farang just happens to mean a fruit too. They are calling you a foreigner. If you are conversing with 5 year olds fair enough but saying that to adults is showing your stupidity.

I think its a good play on words, after all falang meant "guava" well before it meant foreigner...

Also in Isan, the preferred term is "Bak Sida"

Are you sure? I thought the fruit was named after the foreigners, because Europeans introduced it to Thailand.

Farang/ the fruit Guava was introduced to Thailand by the Portugess.

Farang the word used to describe any white foreigner,

non racist until used in a derogatory form/term.

Pronouced by westerners/ farang.

Pronouced by the Thai/ falang.

either works neither is ment in offence.

thais started to call westerners ¨farang¨ since the french vietnamese war around 1950, and nowadays in 2014 they still calling it

this tells you quite a lot of about evolution capacity of thai people

There are thousands of English words that goes back centuries. Does that tell you a lot about the evolution capacity of westerners?

thais started to call westerners ¨farang¨ since the french vietnamese war around 1950, and nowadays in 2014 they still calling it

There are thousands of English words that goes back centuries. Does that tell you a lot about the evolution capacity of westerners?

is any of the words you are talking about still being used by locals of a country to reffer only to the westerners or white people who visit this country?

If your answer is no, then is because you didn't understand what I was talking about

• Like 1

farang - non-Asian foreigner

This word is believed to have originated as a transliteration of the French pronunciation of the French word "Français." The French were the first group of Westerners to be known amongst the Siamese. ฝรั่ง is now used to refer to any foreign object adopted into Thai culture.

The loanword may have migrated into Thailand and the Thai language by way of 17th century Persian and Indian trade routes—there is a similar Persian loanword which is used to refer to non-Muslims.

This colloquialism is used to refer to a Caucasian or Westerner. The formal word that Thai people use for a foreigner is คนต่างชาติ (person; guy; people; man; human being - foreign; expatriate; alien) . Thai people would consider any Caucasian to be foreigners but they would by no means consider all foreigners to be Caucasians. Asians such as Chinese or Japanese—visiting and living in Thailand are technically foreigners but they would not be referred to as farang

• Like 1

is any of the words you are talking about still being used by locals of a country to reffer only to the westerners or white people who visit this country?

If your answer is no, then is because you didn't understand what I was talking about

neither did anyone else. try again

The English "F" word is a very old Anglo Saxon word that probably dates back a thousand years and it is still extremely popular today.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

neither did anyone else. try again

well it's quite clear unless you get along with being called farang, if like that it will be quite difficult for you to understand it, and never in earth will be possible just with one more time

not sure either about those your speak on behalf of them

well it's quite clear unless you get along with being called farang, if like that it will be quite difficult for you to understand it, and never in earth will be possible just with one more time

not sure either about those your speak on behalf of them

cant understand a word you said

• Like 2

They probably would not like us to call them slopes, either. Provided they would know what it means, which they probably won't .

On the other hand: the word "Farang' is not -necessarily- meant as an insult. My wife uses it all the time, simply meaning : europeans. Laotians, Fillipino's, Malay etc. are NOT farang, although they , ofcourse are foreign and therefore are people of a lower race.

Do remember: at the end of the day it is all about Thainess, a quality no foreigner could ever hope to achieve.

Just say 'hoop bak ling'

farang - non-Asian foreigner

This word is believed to have originated as a transliteration of the French pronunciation of the French word "Français." The French were the first group of Westerners to be known amongst the Siamese. ฝรั่ง is now used to refer to any foreign object adopted into Thai culture.

The loanword may have migrated into Thailand and the Thai language by way of 17th century Persian and Indian trade routes—there is a similar Persian loanword which is used to refer to non-Muslims.

This colloquialism is used to refer to a Caucasian or Westerner. The formal word that Thai people use for a foreigner is คนต่างชาติ (person; guy; people; man; human being - foreign; expatriate; alien) . Thai people would consider any Caucasian to be foreigners but they would by no means consider all foreigners to be Caucasians. Asians such as Chinese or Japanese—visiting and living in Thailand are technically foreigners but they would not be referred to as farang

So its in fact fa-rang-tse (franc,ais) which in turn has turned to falang !!!

60 pages.

We must be due a new Farang thread this week

My husband/wife to be is a ladyboy, he/she is a Tom, I am a Dee, should I pay him sin sot, or should she/he pay me?

Confused farang "girl" in Bkk.

Edited by rgs2001uk

It can be an endearing term, much like the "N" word.

There was a time not too long ago in the US when n*gg*r [ censored for the software] was used very commonly like farang is. Of course the users were a bit more polite and did not use the term in front of the subject. But they too would deny a slang term denoting race was racist or any way disrespectful.