How do you like being called "farang"

expat888

It's the equivalent of don't teach your grandmother how to suck eggs.

However once you cross the barrier of language and culture you will be accepted as Thai but it doesn't make it easy if you are very physically different.

Cross the barrier........accepted as a thai.

Please enlighten us with some examples.

Thanks.

Well if you're 6ft 4'' with blonde hair and blue eyes it's going to be very difficult but if you speak Thai fluently and understand the culture. I mean Bangkok Culture and you are not too physically different Thais will feel comfortable associating with you and accept you. That's been my experience anyway.

I could have digested that from your previous comment. So apart from appearances and speaking the language fluently, i still await an answer to my question.

Thanks again.

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Farang. The word itself is not an insult therefore i don't care if they use it or not.

On the other side it's true that some people use it as a derogatory term but those...keenok as they like to call themselves do not deserve my attention so either way, i don't care.

• Like 1

I could have digested that from your previous comment. So apart from appearances and speaking the language fluently, i still await an answer to my question.

Thanks again.

Well these examples mostly exist in Bangkok. There are many business people that have integrated but if you live in a small village and have learned to speak Thai there it's going to be difficult because you have learned Thai and Thai culture from them.

However once you cross the barrier of language and culture you will be accepted as local ?

"BUT" that is the problem right there, the "BUT" Great to fell realy exepted in the Country,

where you have built a life and family a future, That could be ripped away at any point because

you are "physicaly different" or a Farang, not very fare is it.

However once you cross the barrier of language and culture you will be accepted as local ?

"BUT" that is the problem right there, the "BUT" Great to fell realy exepted in the Country,

where you have built a life and family a future, That could be ripped away at any point because

Bert you're a glass half empty guy. Nevertheless Thais will always look after their own. If Thais accept you as Thai nothing bad will happen to you.

If you speak Thai better than a cop he's not going to make a problem for you and believe me many Falungs do.

Bert you're a glass half empty guy. Nevertheless Thais will always look after their own. If Thais accept you as Thai nothing bad will happen to you.

If you speak Thai better than a cop he's not going to make a problem for you and believe me many Falungs do.

Not at a local level no, "Legaly man" they can pull the rug from strait under you.

As they can to me here, this we both surely know and it sux.

"Anyhoo time for work later yeah"

I don't want be accepted like a thai. I want remain the farang, the special guy with white skin who come from a western country and can travel worldwide when he wants. They all tell me I m very lucky to be a farang, have money, a gold passport (non usa of course)...

I don't want be accepted like a thai. I want remain the farang, the special guy with white skin who come from a western country and can travel worldwide when he wants. They all tell me I m very lucky to be a farang, have money, a gold passport (non usa of course)...

I would just be happy to be a Khun.......

Your passport is gold color?

Mine blue and gold

I actually speak Thai fluently. I meant that Whites and Blacks are called 'mun' when the pronoun is used relating to the group of people.

I regularly hear "farang, mun gin man farang boi boi, (Whites, they eat potatoes often)for example or "ai meut, mun mai ab naam"(Blacks, they don't shower)

This sounds terribly racist, I know but just calling a spade a spade. I hear this kind of talk a lot.

Khun farang sounds silly but I said khon farang.

Sawan Chan 7:

Refering to a black person as "ai meut" (อ้ายมืด) is totally derogatory and is the equivalent of the N-word in Thai. A Thai person using that term to refer to black people is either racist or very poorly educated. The proper way to refer to a black person in Thai is "khon piw dam" (คนผิวดำ) ;or "farang piw dam" (ฝรั่งผิวดำ).

The word "mun" in the sentence "farang, mun gin man farang boi boi" is actually pronounced "man" (มัน). In this sentence it can be translated to mean "they" in a colloquial sense. "mun" can also be used in a derogatory sense as well. In the sentence "ai meut, mun mai ab naam", (especially when coupled with "ai meut" to refer to black people, and the racist stereotype that black people don't bathe), "mun" appears to be being used here to reinforce the derogatory meaning of the sentence.

Edited by Gecko123

I would just be happy to be a Khun.......

And I would just be happy to be a Khon...

I actually speak Thai fluently. I meant that Whites and Blacks are called 'mun' when the pronoun is used relating to the group of people.

I regularly hear "farang, mun gin man farang boi boi, (Whites, they eat potatoes often)for example or "ai meut, mun mai ab naam"(Blacks, they don't shower)

This sounds terribly racist, I know but just calling a spade a spade. I hear this kind of talk a lot.

Sawan Chan 7:

Refering to a black person as "ai meut" (อ้ายมืด) is totally derogatory and is the equivalent of the N-word in Thai. A Thai person using that term to refer to black people is either racist or very poorly educated. The proper way to refer to a black person in Thai is "khon piw dam" (คนผิวดำ) ;or "farang piw dam" (ฝรั่งผิวดำ).

The word "mun" in the sentence "farang, mun gin man farang boi boi" is actually pronounced "man" (มัน). In this sentence it can be translated to mean "they" in a colloquial sense. "mun" can also be used in a derogatory sense as well. In the sentence "ai meut, mun mai ab naam", (especially when coupled with "ai meut" to refer to black people, and the racist stereotype that black people don't bathe), "mun" appears to be being used here to reinforce the derogatory meaning of the sentence.

Yes, I know. Sadly, most Thai people use "ai meut". I never said it was correct/polite.

'mun' or 'man' depends on your transliteration method. Neither is wrong.

Not sure your point or motive of your post. Are you trying to say that "farang mun" is acceptable racism because it is used colloquially?

I suggest you ask a Thai person who is married to a farang if they like to hear "farang mun .......". I mean a well educated one that undestands the nuances of Thai language.

The way to deal with this one is simple,

Thai: Hey Farang Farang

Farang: Pom mai bpen farang, pom bpen sapparot krap!

Gets a laugh every time!

So would saying pom pen kwai. You are making a fool of yourself, they are laughing at you.

It is completely different. Kwai is used to describe stupidity. They are calling me a fruit, I am saying I am another fruit. Wise up newbie! The one making a fool of himself is who?

Gets a laugh every time!

So would saying pom pen kwai. You are making a fool of yourself, they are laughing at you.

It is completely different. Kwai is used to describe stupidity. They are calling me a fruit, I am saying I am another fruit. Wise up newbie! The one making a fool of himself is who?

They are not calling you a fruit. Farang just happens to mean a fruit too. They are calling you a foreigner. If you are conversing with 5 year olds fair enough but saying that to adults is showing your stupidity.

Gets a laugh every time!

They are not calling you a fruit. Farang just happens to mean a fruit too. They are calling you a foreigner. If you are conversing with 5 year olds fair enough but saying that to adults is showing your stupidity.

i just tried it on my wife and she understood the play on words and thought it funny.

• Like 1

Gets a laugh every time!

or.... how about showing your sense of humour?

• Like 1

Erm, you are wrong.

Yes, it's very impolite hence why I wrote about it. Thais are extremely xenophobic and like to feel superior to farang by using this word.

Trust me, I know what I hear.

Ever hear' sawn jarakay wai naam'?

You may know what you hear but you do not know the meaning. If your favorite football team plays terribly would you not refer to them using "mun". "Everton mun len mai dai leuang mer wan", "Dek St. Joseph mun kayley mak", etc. (I am hopeless at karaoke Thai but you should get the meaning.) Where is the racisim there? You are refering to a group are you not? It is just Thai vernacular. You are ascribing racial overtones to the word "mun" when there are none, simply a negative tone. MPs regularly use the word for effect. But, yes, it is impolite.

Now if it was "ai farang", that would be a different matter. But again, in the right situation even that is not offensive (such as with very close friends). The same as meung and goo can be highly offensive but in the right situation quite normal.

• Like 1

Well I am confused now, a Thai friend of mine is called "mun" so I mustn't call him by his name now because it's not polite, and what the L is "nee" all about, so I can't say "thee nee".blink.png

Mun means "it" so yes, it is impolite!

Well I am confused now, a Thai friend of mine is called "mun" so I mustn't call him by his name now because it's not polite, and what the L is "nee" all about, so I can't say "thee nee".blink.png

"Nee" lost me too.

Probably a slight difference in pronunciation between your friend's name and the "mun" taboo word. Probably your friend's name is pronounced Man. But then you could say "mun cheu Man". As in "it" is named/called Man. This would either get a laugh or a punch depending on how close friends you are.

Gets a laugh every time!

I think its a good play on words, after all falang meant "guava" well before it meant foreigner...

Also in Isan, the preferred term is "Bak Sida"

• Like 1

Sawan Chan 7:

Yes, I know. Sadly, most Thai people use "ai meut". I never said it was correct/polite.

'mun' or 'man' depends on your transliteration method. Neither is wrong.

Not sure your point or motive of your post. Are you trying to say that "farang mun" is acceptable racism because it is used colloquially?

I suggest you ask a Thai person who is married to a farang if they like to hear "farang mun .......". I mean a well educated one that undestands the nuances of Thai language.

The main purpose of my post was to question the assertion that "ai meut" is an acceptable or prevalent way for Thais to refer to black people. I have never heard this used in conversation. The term 'ai' alone is derogatory when used to refer to a group of people, and every Thai knows this.

By the way, I have noticed that when the 'N-word' is used in Western films, it is translated in the Thai sub-titles as 'ai meut' (อ้ายมืด). This may be where some Thais have picked up the idea that referring to Black people in this manner is acceptable. In other words, Thais, not being aware of the extremely derogatory connotation of the 'N-word,' may have been inadvertently and incorrectly led to believe that the derogatory "ai meut" is an acceptable way to refer to Black people in general.

My comments about the use of "mun" were for your benefit. If you check a Thai dictionary, the first definition of "mun" is colloquial for "it, they, them." The usage of "mun" is not automatically derogatory. When used in the first sentence, I would translate that sentence as "Farangs, they eat potatoes quite often." There is nothing derogatory at all in the usage of "mun" in this sentence.

In the second sentence, "Ai meut, mun mai ab naam" it is not clear whether the word "mun" is being used in a derogatory or colloquial sense. It could mean "they" as in "Black people, they don't bathe," exactly in the same colloquial sense as the first sentence. It is only because this sentence also uses the derogatory "ai meut" to refer to Black people, and expresses a rediculous negative sterotype about Black people that I suspect that the usage here of the word "mun" is deliberately intended to confer a derogatory connotation.

• Like 1