1 Year In Thailand. Out For 4 Months. Back on Edu Visa. Problem?

Just recently spent around 1 year in Thailand.

Arrived on double entry visa then when it expired started doing 30 day border runs for remainder of the time.

Left last month with a couple of days overstay and came home to the UK see family.

Mid October I plan to leave the UK again.

I'd like to return to Thailand but amid all the visa chaos, new rules, and visa and stamps in my passport that might not be possible.

I was thinking to apply for a language school and get the education visa but I don't really want to risk spending around 30,000B on the course + visa only to risk being turned away on arrival into Thailand based on my previous time spent here because they assume I must have been working there before or planning to work there on arrival

Just to clarify I wasn't working in Thailand and never have nor will (the idea sounds horrendous tbh), not up to anything illegal, have funds to support myself, and genuinely plan to study Thai.

Is it a risk or will I likely be fine to come out on the edu visa?

I think you will find that the ed visa is less than the 30k stated,simple really arrive on a 30 day exemption, then apply for the ed visa bearing in mind.
Current visa on arrival should allow a stay for at least three more weeks in Thailand otherwise there may not be sufficient time to process the ED paperwork, thus requiring applicant leave Thailand again either by air or a border run.In approximately 3 weeks the school will be notified by the Ministry of Education of application status and if approved will send an admission letter to the School . The School will notify the student of the decision and will distribute the admission letter.

I think you will find that the ed visa is less than the 30k stated

Around 28k of that is for the actual course. Which if I understand correctly must be applied and paid for first before getting the education visa.

The School will notify the student of the decision and will distribute the admission letter.

Yeah but if they notice is to say my application for an edu visa is denied due to past stamps / visa in my passport I'm 28k out of pocket with nothing to show for it.

No thanks.

Yeah but if they notice is to say my application for an edu visa is denied due to past stamps / visa in my passport I'm 28k out of pocket with nothing to show for it.

Why you ask you have decided already ?

Nobody has been denied ED visa because of past stamps. Maybe if you are banned from Thailand,

[qoute]

Arrived on double entry visa then when it expired started doing 30 day border runs for remainder of the time.

Left last month with a couple of days overstay and came home to the UK see family.

For me it seems like you don't have any problem. If you want to study and follow the class you will have no problem at all. So What school are going on, and what are you going to study :)

But I must admit it sound a bit strange, been in Thailand for 1 year on TV and extension and border runs, a little bit overstay and now coming back for study. Good for you, but for me I sounds like you are trying to stay here to abuse the law. Using loophole to stay.

Just my 10 cent. But welcome back

Edited by carstenp

[qoute]

For me it seems like you don't have any problem. If you want to study and follow the class you will have no problem at all. So What school are going on, and what are you going to study smile.png

But I must admit it sound a bit strange, been in Thailand for 1 year on TV and extension and border runs, a little bit overstay and now coming back for study. Good for you, but for me I sounds like you are trying to stay here to abuse the law. Using loophole to stay.

Are you over 50 ?, if you are then apply for a one year retirement visa the visa agent will manage all your financial requirements, costs about 20.000 baht and they guarantee you a successful application or your money back - once you have the Visa you just have to report locally every 90 days and don't have to go out of the kingdom ever again during the 12 months. You can do this by mail very easily

Speaking from experience I would register with a school and then visit the embassy back home to obtain your 90 day single entry end visa. That gives plenty of time when. You are here for the school to process your paper work etc. Then you can get your extension of stay fro. The local imagration. By getting the 90 single entry in the UK you will not have the hassle of having to leave Thailand to get your end visa. I simply took the confirmation I was attending school and a few other bits the embassy required.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Nobody has been denied ED visa because of past stamps. Maybe if you are banned from Thailand,

No but the new rules regarding education visa state that anyone applying will have their past 2 years history checked before being issued the visa and they will have to show they were not working in Thailand during any time spent there nor plan to again.

Don't really fancy arriving in Thailand and immediately assumed to have been up to no good and it's my job to prove otherwise.

I haven't been up to no good and I have money to support myself but all it takes is an immigration official who takes a dislike to you and you're in for a whole load of hassle.

[qoute]

For me it seems like you don't have any problem. If you want to study and follow the class you will have no problem at all. So What school are going on, and what are you going to study smile.png

See my above reply.

What's strange about being in Thailand for 1 year on visas and border runs?

I wanted to live / spend time in Thailand and there weren't many other options.

I didn't work there and never will. Don't have to. Can support myself just fine with funds from abroad.

What law is it you are so sure I am abusing?

Speaking from experience I would register with a school and then visit the embassy back home to obtain your 90 day single entry end visa. That gives plenty of time when. You are here for the school to process your paper work etc. Then you can get your extension of stay fro. The local imagration. By getting the 90 single entry in the UK you will not have the hassle of having to leave Thailand to get your end visa. I simply took the confirmation I was attending school and a few other bits the embassy required.

As far as I know I'd have to pay the school up front though before they processed anything for me so either way if I had any issues getting the education visa I'd be out of pocket.

And you have to leave Thailand to get the education visa processed as far as I understand so getting in country isn't an option. I'd have to fly to somewhere near bye and do it there.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

[quote name=paz" post="8143876"

timestamp="1406148292]

Sorry maybe I didn't make myself clear but if your are in the UK now you can go to the embassy or consulate and get a single entry end visa... when you get to Thailand when the visa expires you go to immigration to get your extension which you can do every 90 days. I know this because I have done it. But as you said yes you will need to register and pay the school. I only paid a deposit so not so bad.

No but the new rules regarding education visa state that anyone applying will have their past 2 years history checked before being issued the visa and they will have to show they were not working in Thailand during any time spent there nor plan to again.

Don't really fancy arriving in Thailand and immediately assumed to have been up to no good and it's my job to prove otherwise.

I haven't been up to no good and I have money to support myself but all it takes is an immigration official who takes a dislike to you and you're in for a whole load of hassle.

[qoute]

See my above reply.

What's strange about being in Thailand for 1 year on visas and border runs?

I wanted to live / spend time in Thailand and there weren't many other options.

I didn't work there and never will. Don't have to. Can support myself just fine with funds from abroad.

What law is it you are so sure I am abusing?

As far as I know I'd have to pay the school up front though before they processed anything for me so either way if I had any issues getting the education visa I'd be out of pocket.

And you have to leave Thailand to get the education visa processed as far as I understand so getting in country isn't an option. I'd have to fly to somewhere near bye and do it there.