Long overstayer

This is where it is confusing. Some articles say it is already approved, some say it comes into effect after 12th August, then another article says that it will start 1st September?

The point is the guy has accepted that he has done wrong and will get things organized now. But if you are arriving at the airport knowing that you cannot come back for 5 years there are things that need to be done in advance, I wish the powers that be would just be very clear on this very serious topic. What ever the answer is good or bad

More than likely yes until new overstay rules are approved..

• Like 1

The latest notice on the immigration website states the new rules are in the process of being approved by the interior ministry. From day one when this first came out immigration said that it would be 60 days before it was approved.

The August 12th is not correct and what may happen on that date has been overblown by rumors and speculation.

The latest notice on the immigration website states the new rules are in the process of being approved by the interior ministry. From day one when this first came out immigration said that it would be 60 days before it was approved.

The August 12th is not correct and what may happen on that date has been overblown by rumors and speculation.

http://www.thephuketnews.com/overstay-blacklist-penalties-now-in-force-47450.php

Kmacdonnell post # 1

So a guy has a long overstay - years. If he turns up at the airport before the end of this month with a flight ticket to Singapore and a genuine application for a non b to come back to work, and the 20,000 bht fine, will they let him come back?

An acquaintance of mine just did that very same thing only he went back to the U.K. and is now back and happily at home here in Thailand.
Paid the 20,000 baht and that was it.
All much to his and I must admit his friends amazement as we all thought we would be starting out as prison visitors in his case.
His overstay was a twenty years overstay ..
  • Like 1

My God did he ever do any kind of visa run?

Kmacdonnell post # 1

So a guy has a long overstay - years. If he turns up at the airport before the end of this month with a flight ticket to Singapore and a genuine application for a non b to come back to work, and the 20,000 bht fine, will they let him come back?

An acquaintance of mine just did that very same thing only he went back to the U.K. and is now back and happily at home here in Thailand.
All much to his and I must admit his friends amazement as we all thought we would be starting out as prison visitors in his case.

http://www.thephuketnews.com/overstay-blacklist-penalties-now-in-force-47450.php

See the latest warning on the immigration website after first one was taken down. http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/popup_anounce.html

It states they have not been approved yet.

Ok thank you. Now i have another question.

Another guy has no pages left in his passport. He has overstyed but not for a long time. He would have to pay the 20,000 bht fine at the ariport (if he can get that far). It would be better if he could get a new passport from the Bitish Embasy in Bankok first but he mght get caught on the way to Bangkok. Are there any options for him? He really wants to get the new passport as before it would hae taken 10 weeks to get one from the UK

He simply does not even have the space or the exit stamp.

I read today that British can now get the new passport in Bankok?

See the latest warning on the immigration website after first one was taken down. http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/popup_anounce.html

The scenario boils down to:

The rules themselves have to be approved. Codified. THEN a date can be set for their enactment.

"yeah, we approved the rules as they are set down BUT they have yet to be made into the law of the land"

Just like many other countries, a committee puts a law together, the media report about it, but it still has to be ruled on as to wording, syntax, etc., and when it will become actual practice. A lot of times that ends up to be weeks/months/years in the future. Why has this caused so much gnashing of teeth? Where is the much vaunted, lateral thinking and logical Western education system that nobody can understand this?

The sheer panic and grabbing at straws desperation expressed in the hundreds of "my friend, not me" newbee posts in currently running crackdown topics is very telling.

______________________________________________________________________________________

REMEMBER:

Thai Immigration Officials wai.gif (now the three most dreaded words in any language) are reading EVERY ONE of them! Sure they are.

'nuff said

~

Edited by 'nuff said

I am very aware that imigration are reading these post. That is why people are asking friend to help them find out the facts. As i have mu own comapny, Work Permit and valid documents, i have nothing to fear

The scenario boils down to:

The rules themselves have to be approved. Codified. THEN a date can be set for their enactment.

"yeah, we approved the rules as they are set down BUT they have yet to be made into the law of the land"

Just like many other countries, a committee puts a law together, the media report about it, but it still has to be ruled on as to wording, syntax, etc., and when it will become actual practice. A lot of times that ends up to be weeks/months/years in the future.

The sheer panic and grabbing at straws desperation expressed in the hundreds of "my friend, not me" newbee posts in currently running crackdown topics is very telling.

It's a good bet Thai Immigration Officials wai.gif (now three most dreaded words in any language) are reading EVERY ONE! Sure they are.

'nuff said

~

For info on getting a UK passport see: Changes To British Passport Services In Thailand

He might be able to get a emergency travel document at the embassy so he can get the overstay paid on the way of the country to get a visa.

It is hard to believe that there is no room for at least a departure stamp left in a passport Passports don't get full by themselves. That can be noticed well before it happens.

• Like 2

What about the guy with the full passport ? I also know someone that needs to get a new passport but where is the best place for him to go and sit it out till he gets one ? No overstay but if he applies here he will have by the time it arrives looking at the posts on TV. Someone said Cambodia was cheap and getting a new British passport fairly easy ? Anyone back this up ?

Cheers

This is where it is confusing. Some articles say it is already approved, some say it comes into effect after 12th August, then another article says that it will start 1st September?

The point is the guy has accepted that he has done wrong and will get things organized now. But if you are arriving at the airport knowing that you cannot come back for 5 years there are things that need to be done in advance, I wish the powers that be would just be very clear on this very serious topic. What ever the answer is good or bad

More than likely yes until new overstay rules are approved..

Just go out as soon as possible. You have a thousends times better chans of a good end if doing it tommorrow. Instead of waiting another couple of months

What about the guy with the full passport ? I also know someone that needs to get a new passport but where is the best place for him to go and sit it out till he gets one ? No overstay but if he applies here he will have by the time it arrives looking at the posts on TV. Someone said Cambodia was cheap and getting a new British passport fairly easy ? Anyone back this up ?

Cheers

The only difference in other countries is the procedure to apply for the passport the wait will be the same because the all have to come from the UK. Here you keep your old passport other places you a have to send it to the UK. Wherever you apply you need to be able to prove your address.

Not sure there is any better place to apply for the passport.

If a person could get a tourist visa before doing the application they could do the 30 day extension with the old passport. That would give enough time to get a new passport.

Immigraiton has in the past mentioned 12th of August as the date new Out-In rules will be started to be enforced at the airports. Some people have made this the starting date of the new overstay rules.

Regarding the date the new overstay rules come into effect, immigration has not indicated a date. They are warning people new oevrstay rules will come in effect soon, as the proposed rules have been send to the Minister of Interior for approval.

It has been mentioned that that normally takes about 60 days and approval is expceted in September. But that is just an expectation, it can take longer and it can take shorter and the question is 60 days from which date. September is an estimated guess. The rules might even be ammended.

What you can be failry sure on is that the rules will become stricter and if you have an overstay better sort it out now, before it is too late. You can't be sure when the new rules will come into effect.

• Like 1

He has to get an emergancy passport from Bangkok, 5,000 bht and travel to Cambodia.  If he sits it out there for about 5 weeks he can come back on a 30 day visa, enough time for the passport to arrive

Cheers

Kmacdonnell post # 1

So a guy has a long overstay - years.  If he turns up at the airport before the end of this month with a flight ticket to Singapore and a genuine application for a non b to come back to work, and the 20,000 bht fine, will they let him come back?

An acquaintance of mine just  did that very same thing  only he went back to the U.K. and is now back and happily at home here in Thailand.

Twenty years ?!   So in 20 years he never had a domestic flight ?, a hotelbooking ?, a fine ? he never had a financial transaction ? what and where did this person hide and live ?!  How can he fly in/out on an expired passport ?   My passport is only valid for 5 years, after that I have to have a new passport.   

I can hardly believe this.

Kmacdonnell post # 1

So a guy has a long overstay - years.  If he turns up at the airport before the end of this month with a flight ticket to Singapore and a genuine application for a non b to come back to work, and the 20,000 bht fine, will they let him come back?

An acquaintance of mine just  did that very same thing  only he went back to the U.K. and is now back and happily at home here in Thailand.

Twenty years ?!   So in 20 years he never had a domestic flight ?, a hotelbooking ?, a fine ? he never had a financial transaction ? what and where did this person hide and live ?!  How can he fly in/out on an expired passport ?   My passport is only valid for 5 years, after that I have to have a new passport.   

I can hardly believe this.

I am sure he had a valid passport. Having an overstay would not prevent a person from getting new passports.

Visa rules are not always applied evenly; seems many times it is up to the immigration officer who has the stamp in their hands

no one knows   when the new overstay rules will be effective, no date has been set.

If he get his Non B in Singapore he will be able to enter Thailand.

Ok thank you.  Now i have another question.  

Another guy has no pages left in his passport.  He has overstyed but not for a long time.  He would have to pay the 20,000 bht fine at the ariport (if he can get that far).  It would be better if he could get a new passport from the Bitish Embasy in Bankok first but he mght get caught on the way to Bangkok.  Are there any options for him?  He really wants to get the new passport as before it would hae taken 10 weeks to get one from the UK

See the latest warning on the immigration website after first one was taken down. http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/popup_anounce.html

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I have heard that you can add pages to an existing passport through the embassy.  I am fairly certain that this can be done with a US passport.  I do not know about a British Passport.  There is a fee, but if it is available, it may be faster than waiting for a new passport.

Ok thank you.  Now i have another question.  

Another guy has no pages left in his passport.  He has overstyed but not for a long time.  He would have to pay the 20,000 bht fine at the ariport (if he can get that far).  It would be better if he could get a new passport from the Bitish Embasy in Bankok first but he mght get caught on the way to Bangkok.  Are there any options for him?  He really wants to get the new passport as before it would hae taken 10 weeks to get one from the UK

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I have heard that you can add pages to an existing passport through the embassy.  I am fairly certain that this can be done with a US passport.  I do not know about a British Passport.  There is a fee, but if it is available, it may be faster than waiting for a new passport.

Unfortunately this extra page service is not available for UK passports (but should be) .                                 

I think the US may be the only country that adds pages to a passport. The UK does not do it.

• Like 1

Th August 12 date, I'd understood originally, was the date announced that they would no longer allow people to enter on a 2nd (3rd, 4th) 30 day exemption Out-In turn around, through the airport.  That they were stopping repeated out/in visa runs at land-borders before that date, and then at the airport they would also not be allowed after August 12.

Edited by John1thru10