Long overstayer

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I have heard that you can add pages to an existing passport through the embassy.  I am fairly certain that this can be done with a US passport.  I do not know about a British Passport.  There is a fee, but if it is available, it may be faster than waiting for a new passport.

I think the US may be the only country that adds pages to a passport. The UK does not do it.

US passports can add pages up to 2 times - the fee is somewhere in the neighborhood of 85 to 100 dollars (I can't remember exactly) and the 2nd add is by approval only fi they deem your passport to be in good condition.  It takes a few hours while you wait, at the US Embassy in Bangkok, by online appointment

Most countries will not now allow concertina pages added to PP  for security reasons   (& I agree, even if it is a pain getting new PP every 2 years) Last I heard the US was doing it but telling people they are about to stop the practice.

The latest notice on the immigration website states the new rules are in the process of being approved by the interior ministry. From day one when this first came out immigration said that it would be 60 days before it was approved.

The August 12th is not correct and what may happen on that date has been overblown by rumors and speculation.

Th August 12 date, I'd understood originally, was the date announced that they would no longer allow people to enter on another Out-In turn around, through the airport.  That they were closing landborder visa runs before that date, and then at the airport they would also not be allowed after August 12.

August 12th was mentioned as the date when they will start enforcing the out/in rules at the airport. But there has been nothing official about what those will be.

People have made up outlandish rumors about that date covering all sorts of things. The new overstay rule date was just one of them.

as you mention getting the visa in Singapore: Did I not read many times here on TV that Singapore would be a place to better avoid for for certain visa applications as they reject much more often than other embassies?  If so, then Singapore might be a particularly bad idea to go to for someone with an overstay history? Or am I wrong?

What about the guy with the full passport ? I also know someone that needs to get a new passport but where is the best place for him to go and sit it out till he gets one ? No overstay but if he applies here he will have by the time it arrives looking at the posts on TV. Someone said Cambodia was cheap and getting a new British passport fairly easy ? Anyone back this up ? 
Cheers

In my opinion. He realistically has only one option if he wants to stay in Thailand.
That is to return to the UK where he can get a new passport in as little as 1day.

If he applies in Thailand his passport will be canceled. He can't apply in any other country apart from the UK as he has to prove residence, even if could apply in another country he could easly overstay as the minimum time from outside the UK is over 8 weeks.

He can try to get an ETD from the British embassy but many country's don't accept it and, I think that it has been known for Thai immigration to be very unhappy if the trip ( which is detailed in the ETD) is not followed. YMMV

My wife spoke to immigration yesterday. The rules have a 60 day wait until they are law. She was told the end of September.

It's probably right. But whould you take a chans and wait until September if you have many years overstay? I would not..
You life in Thailand is history if it starts before you are out. Edited by larsjohnsson

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I have heard that you can add pages to an existing passport through the embassy.  I am fairly certain that this can be done with a US passport.  I do not know about a British Passport.  There is a fee, but if it is available, it may be faster than waiting for a new passport.

I think the US may be the only country that adds pages to a passport. The UK does not do it.

thailand does as well. A thai embassy in europe added pages to my wife's thai passport.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app Edited by Jimbo

Don't try your luck, anything can just happen now. Nobody here is a high ranking immigration officer that can give you sure-hit accurate advice or put up a case for you. In my opinion, surrender is a safer option.

Edited by wvavin

The scenario boils down to:

The rules themselves have to be approved.  Codified. THEN a date can be set for their enactment.

"yeah, we approved the rules as they are set down BUT they have yet to be made into the law of the land"

Just like many other countries, a committee puts a law together, the media report about it, but it still has to be ruled on as to wording, syntax, etc., and when it will become actual practice.  A lot of times that ends up to be weeks/months/years in the future.  Why has this caused so much gnashing of teeth?  Where is the much vaunted, lateral thinking and logical Western education system that nobody can understand this?

The sheer panic and grabbing at straws desperation expressed in the hundreds of "my friend, not me" newbee posts in currently running crackdown topics is very telling.

______________________________________________________________________________________

REMEMBER:

Thai Immigration Officials wai.gif   (now the three most dreaded words in any language) are reading EVERY ONE of them!  Sure they are.

'nuff said

~

In seven years,  I never had a problem with Thai Immigration--if anything, they were very courteous and helpful. Of course, I did what was instructed, provided the proper paperwork, paid my fees; then recycled the actions, paperwork, and fees when appropriate. I am sorry, but I have little sympathy for those of you who have not complied with the laws of your host country.

And Wavin's would be the most sensible. Safest advice you can get.

Why risk your future life in Thailand for a "what if". and possible lifetime ban.

They are going to get stricter. they are going to go by the book. as should have been done decades ago.

Then this wouldn't be happening.

Take the missus to Pommy land on a holiday. then come back legally.

Show her the place  (for a quick visit only.  YUK)

and live your life in peace 

My Pommy passport ran out back in '74. I can see why you don't want to go back there.

I've been an Aussie for 41 yrs now. Travel on Aussie Passport.

Kmacdonnell post # 1

So a guy has a long overstay - years.  If he turns up at the airport before the end of this month with a flight ticket to Singapore and a genuine application for a non b to come back to work, and the 20,000 bht fine, will they let him come back?

An acquaintance of mine just  did that very same thing  only he went back to the U.K. and is now back and happily at home here in Thailand.
Paid the 20,000 baht and that was it.

All much to his and I must admit his friends amazement as we all thought we would be starting out as prison visitors in his case.

His overstay was a twenty years overstay .. 

My god, not that it really translates exactly but I've spent approx 100,000 baht a year on flights between HK and Bangkok, visa fees and misc costs.    I haven't had to pay for hotels or food and drink as I stay with family.    If I'd paid for hotels etc the number might be closer to 250-300,000 a year.

So your mate 'saved' something in the region of 2 million to maybe 6 million baht by just staying here.

You can see why people do it.

Kmacdonnell post # 1

So a guy has a long overstay - years.  If he turns up at the airport before the end of this month with a flight ticket to Singapore and a genuine application for a non b to come back to work, and the 20,000 bht fine, will they let him come back?

An acquaintance of mine just  did that very same thing  only he went back to the U.K. and is now back and happily at home here in Thailand.

All much to his and I must admit his friends amazement as we all thought we would be starting out as prison visitors in his case.

My god, not that it really translates exactly but I've spent approx 100,000 baht a year on flights between HK and Bangkok, visa fees and misc costs.    I haven't had to pay for hotels or food and drink as I stay with family.    If I'd paid for hotels etc the number might be closer to 250-300,000 a year.

So your mate 'saved' something in the region of 2 million to maybe 6 million baht by just staying here.

yeah, and if you rob a bank you might make even more "profit"...

Also "see why people do it..."?

The only reason for any lengthy overstay is a total mess in people heads and/or ruined finances where head in sand is seen as the only "option"...

In such case, bad enough, and no point in judging individuals without knowing the circumstances, but let's stop "rationalising" or sugar coating...

It is what it is: an individual's complete mess, whatever the reasons... 

Kmacdonnell post # 1

The only reason for any lengthy overstay is a total mess in people heads and/or ruined finances where head in sand is seen as the only "option"...

In such case, bad enough, and no point in judging individuals without knowing the circumstances, but let's stop "rationalising" or sugar coating...

I wasn't judging.   I have no idea what the reason was for his overstay.  You could be right he could have been unable to afford the flights and visas.   

I feel sorry for anyone who is in that situation now and is still unable to leave for whatever reason and are now facing the very real prospect of getting caught, deported and banned for 10 years (unless of they are a criminal and afraid to go and face the music back home).

I wasn't judging.   I have no idea what the reason was for his overstay.  You could be right he could have been unable to afford the flights and visas.   

I feel sorry for anyone who is in that situation now and is still unable to leave for whatever reason and are now facing the very real prospect of getting caught, deported and banned for 10 years (unless of they are a criminal and afraid to go and face the music back home).

I have no doubts there is a lot of hidden drama of messed-up life's behind these "situations" but ultimately it's only the people themselves who can and have to sort themselves out, whatever the sympathy, who else could (or should)... 

This is where it is confusing.  Some articles say it is already approved, some say it comes into effect after 12th August, then another article says that it will start 1st September?  
The point is the guy has accepted that he has done wrong and will get things organized now.  But if you are arriving at the airport knowing that you cannot come back for 5 years there are things that need to be done in advance, I wish the powers that be would just be very clear on this very serious topic. What ever the answer is good or bad

5555,accepted he has done wrong,after the new laws are announced.Bludgers,like ypur friend are finally getting sprung and coming out of the woodwork.

More than likely yes until new overstay rules are approved..

Kmacdonnell post # 1

Yes Sean,bludgers will push the envelope,but bet you are happy now,unlike a lot of nervous nellies on TVF and their "friends".

I actually don't get why someone have such a long overstay in the first place. A couple of days maybe weeks I can imaging but if you stay months or even longer than you visa allows you, either get a proper visa before entering or leave and sort it out first. If you want to live in Thailand and you qualify there is no problem. No good for the country to have too many low budget border runners.

This is a forum for visa information, and immigration policy - not a court of law.   If someone is deserving of a negative judgement, then trust the Thai authorities to be able to make that determination for themselves.  They really don't need your help in determining who is a 'good' person or not.  Recent stories about how the law is applied is helpful to thousands of people - and this forum is truly invaluable in that way.  But, the same 4-5 other foreigners who appoint themselves the personal judge of strangers each day, is really not relevant.

Personally, I just want to know what happened in a certain recent instance - and the Thai authorities will obviously make their own judgements regarding those individuals when they meet them for themselves.

• Like 1

John1thru10,

Hear, hear.

In 2008 there was a substantial economic downturn in the west. People living here perfectly legally with their Thai families lost jobs, money and businesses through no fault of their own. That's how you get to be an overstayer, sheer bloody bad luck that could happen to anyone - not stupidity.

If you are on overstay and supporting your Thai family, immigration is more likely to help you out than kick you out.

I know one guy who was allowed to stay on after substantial overstay simply because he didn't have anywhere else to go. Immigration will try to help you if they can. Be straight with them and don't treat them like the enemy. They fully understand how catastrophic being expelled from the county can be for some people and do not do it lightly.

this makes no sense. they could have done 30 day visa runs if necessary. they were just lazy and entitled.

YEP.

And the above quote is one of the main reasons this is going on.

Primarily to get a list of all foreigners. what they doing.

and reduce if not remove the corruption.

Try to make it a nice country again. Get rid of the users. and deadheads.

We see a lot of them when we go over there as short term tourists.

Thailand would be a much nicer place without them, or most of them.

Their presence does deter a lot of older people  (and ones with kids) that we know

that have, and would spend money there.

We tend to go elsewhere instead.

I know a lot like us.

Comfortably financial. retired (73\66 yrs) Have worked and saved hard to get there.

We mostly spend 2 to 3 months a yr touring other country's and\or doing the cruise ship thing 

Boring,

unless you into getting pissed or The tables\pokies.

We spend around 50 to 60k AUD a yr. every yr.on average on the holiday.

If\when, Thailand tidy's itself up, a lot of " financial foreigners" will feel more comfortable about the place

and start coming back.

Most of us have been once at least,and tried. then gone elsewhere in leiu of.

Because of the Western dross hanging out over there. (NOT all of them. but a lot of.)

They spoil a beautiful people and country.

Let's hope. for Thailand's sake. That this General does keep it up and do as he says.

bringing the rest of the officialdom with him.