paying for a British Passport

can anyone help ?

I am going to Bangkok soon to apply for a new passport. It has to be paid for by a credit card or debit card. I don't have a credit card but i have an account at the Bangkok bank. The manager told me that i can use my bank card (ATM card ) VISA, Be 1st. as a debit card. Has anyone any experience with this,i don't want to travel all the way from Isaan only to be told that they cant book the money

You need to be sure that the card is authorised for overseas "cardholder not present" transactions. The actual payment is done in the UK in Sterling. All you do in Bangkok is hand over the form. However, if you know anybody with a UK issued card they can make the payment for you, provided they are willing to fill in the form.

You need to be sure that the card is authorised for overseas "cardholder not present" transactions. The actual payment is done in the UK in Sterling. All you do in Bangkok is hand over the form. However, if you know anybody with a UK issued card they can make the payment for you, provided they are willing to fill in the form.

Thanks for the info. I don't have anyone in the UK, i haven't been back for well over 40 years. Will the bank authorize ''cardholder not present'' at my branch ?

You say 'new' passport. If you have not 'been back' for 40 years how did you get the other passports?

The process has radically changed in the last few years. Up to a few years ago, Brits got their passport from the British embassy.

• Like 1

Can't be paid in cash?

People who don't have a credit card don't get a passport??

yeah,don't get me started, they even stipulate from who the credit card or debit card is issued ( Visa ) When i moved to Thailand i gave my credit card back to my German bank as i rarely ever used it and i am not a great believer in them anyway.

They also want a bill or official letter,not older than three months addressed to you at your home in Thailand ( all the bills are in my wife's name ) Why when they don't send it to your home, you have to go and pick it up. The UK really looks after you

You say 'new' passport. If you have not 'been back' for 40 years how did you get the other passports?

The process has radically changed in the last few years. Up to a few years ago, Brits got their passport from the British embassy.

I agree. And then from Hong Kong...so what is the answer?

The Passport site says it accepts Electron, in GBP....so it has to be clearly understood by the OP that the Thai Bank has authorised the card and is valid for transactions in GBP, with the cardholder not present

1. You can get an 'official letter' by asking the Embassy or Consulate..BKK/CM to verify your present passport or 'Income' which they will send to your Thai address..might cost a few B..!

While it does require a verification from an issuing bank,(and that is normal I have to do it every time I buy an AirAsia ticket) I see no evidence that it has to be a UK credit/debit card, nor that the card has to be in the name of the applicant...check it out?

I booked my hotel in the UK using my Bangkok Bang B 1st card. You should not have a problem.

I booked my hotel in the UK using my Bangkok Bang B 1st card. You should not have a problem.

I meant he (the OP) should not have a problem.

Can't be paid in cash?

yeah,don't get me started, they even stipulate from who the credit card or debit card is issued ( Visa ) When i moved to Thailand i gave my credit card back to my German bank as i rarely ever used it and i am not a great believer in them anyway.

They also want a bill or official letter,not older than three months addressed to you at your home in Thailand ( all the bills are in my wife's name ) Why when they don't send it to your home, you have to go and pick it up. The UK really looks after you

The day the UK looks after the ordinary person, will be the day the ocean drys up.

• Like 2

1. You can get an 'official letter' by asking the Embassy or Consulate..BKK/CM to verify your present passport or 'Income' which they will send to your Thai address..might cost a few B..!
  2. While it does require a verification from an issuing bank,(and that is normal I have to do it every time I buy an AirAsia ticket) I see no evidence that it has to be a UK credit/debit card, nor that the card has to be in the name of the applicant...check it out?

i have had a lot of experience with verification of income from the British embassy. Since all my documents are in German i asked a German consul if he would verify my income,he looked at me as if he had seen the devil explaining that he had helped a few Brits out before and had been blasted orally and by letter that Brits could only be serviced by the British embassy.

I went to the British embassy and was told all my documents must first be translated into English and they would be sent away to headquarters ( where ever that is ) i was then told by another official that even then they wouldn't verify it. ''Why don't you try the German embassy'' they said, ''"They are cheaper and faster than we are'" I did, what a difference, friendly,helpful,and cheap and i got everything on the spot,since then i only use the German embassy for all my needs.

What verification ? i write the card number on the form,it gets sent to England and then maybe they cant draw the money,return to go do not collect 200.

I know a Norwegian who reserved a hotel room in Krabi from Bangkok online with his BB be 1st card number, reservation accepted, two days later he got an E-mail saying they couldn't access the money,as a result they had rented the room to somebody else. This is what i am afraid of,get everything sent off and three weeks later get a letter saying start all over again we can't access the money.

I know a Norwegian who reserved a hotel room in Krabi from Bangkok online with his BB be 1st card number, reservation accepted, two days later he got an E-mail saying they couldn't access the money,as a result they had rented the room to somebody else. This is what i am afraid of,get everything sent off and three weeks later get a letter saying start all over again we can't access the money.

Yes, I see your point, I booked my room about four months ago, and printed it out, I arrive there in two weeks, and they have not sent me an e-mail. I hope everything works out for you.

B First wont work.Get a BKK Bank Credit Card.

Tried that,it was a no no. The missus will now try for a credit card at the Kasikorn bank as we have 2 million saved up in my sons account,should be no problem, WHAT CAN POSSIBLY GO WRONG

I can't believe all this crap!

Check whether the name of the applicant needs to be the same of that on the card

Your family in Germany can't do this?

If you are in complete shit PM me. I will, provided you supply me in triplicate your name, current passport number, copy of this and all previous passports, birth certificate, address wife's ID card and Tabian Ban, deposit of funds in K Bank, maybe , maybe give you a UK debit card number clap2.gif

I can't believe all this crap!

Check whether the name of the applicant needs to be the same of that on the card

Your family in Germany can't do this?

If you are in complete shit PM me. I will, provided you supply me in triplicate your name, current passport number, copy of this and all previous passports, birth certificate, address wife's ID card and Tabian Ban, deposit of funds in K Bank, maybe , maybe give you a UK debit card number clap2.gif

Thanks for that,i have already had a kind offer from a TV member but i want to do this independently it must be possible.I don't think the card name makes any difference all they want is the money,why i cant just transfer the money say from my German account i don't know. You are right though the whole procedure is crap, something one expects from the British civil ''service'' Try the credit card with the missus tomorrow

interesting,what is a ''virtual card''

It's a Visa Credit Card number an CVV and an expiry date, but no physical card. You can use it for things like this, but not for things like flight tickets if the carrier needs to see the card.

I used mine to renew my British Passport as my debit card wouldn't work.

http://www.kasikornbank.com/EN/Personal/Debit/Pages/KWebShopping.aspx

interesting,what is a ''virtual card''

It's a Visa Credit Card number an CVV and an expiry date, but no physical card. You can use it for things like this, but not for things like flight tickets if the carrier needs to see the card.

I used mine to renew my British Passport as my debit card wouldn't work.

http://www.kasikornbank.com/EN/Personal/Debit/Pages/KWebShopping.aspx

THANKS FOR THAT. I will apply for a k-cyber card tomorrow. You old git have saved me a worrying time,if it worked for you must work for me.

Can't be paid in cash?

You make me appreciate the service of the Austrian embassy even more than I did before.......Very relaxed and easy going.....I thought it is normal.

Can't be paid in cash?

You make me appreciate the service of the Austrian embassy even more than I did before.......Very relaxed and easy going.....I thought it is normal.

I don't think anything is normal at the British embassy,i have never met a British person who has a good word to say about our embassy,the Thai staff are arrogant incompetent and unhelpful and those are the good points. I have heard that the worst embassy is the Swedish the best is the Swiss,they even get informed of staff changes at the embassy and are invited for a meal once a year,as one Swiss guy said to me,''they greet us with a hand kiss''. I personally am very happy with the German embassy,helpful, kind and efficient. i wish i had changed my nationality to German years ago when i had the chance. 

Edited by soalbundy

I am going to Kasikorn bank today to apply for a K-WEB SHOPPING CARD. i would like to thank everyone who has contributed advice, it was very helpful,makes you feel you are not alone when you have difficulties. THANK YOU ! especially to the two members who sent me private messages of support.

I am going to Kasikorn bank today to apply for a K-WEB SHOPPING CARD. i would like to thank everyone who has contributed advice, it was very helpful,makes you feel you are not alone when you have difficulties. THANK YOU ! especially to the two members who sent me private messages of support.

You apply online for this if you have internet banking- I did this a few years ago now, but I'm sure I didn't have to go to a branch to do it.

It's a virtual card so they just inform you what the number is.

Edited by partington