Farang Needs An International Driving Permit

I have been out of my home country for 14 years and have never found the need to renew my original California Drivers License, as it has long expired. I will be goin back to the 'states' in a few months and would like to rent a car and drive when I am there.

I currently hold a 5 year Thai Drivers License.

How can I obtain an (legitimate) International Driving License here in Thailand for overseas use...?

Cheers

I have been out of my home country for 14 years and have never found the need to renew my original California Drivers License, as it has long expired. I will be goin back to the 'states' in a few months and would like to rent a car and drive when I am there.

I currently hold a 5 year Thai Drivers License.

How can I obtain an (legitimate) International Driving License here in Thailand for overseas use...?

Cheers

Some (not all) Land Transport Offices (where you get your licence) can issue IDPs, the one at Mo Chit certainly does. I suggest you (or your Thai wife / partner / friend / collegue) give your local office a call to find out where you can obtain an IDP.

As to exactly how US rental firms will react to a US citizen using a Thai IDP I cannot say. Probably a good idea to carry your expired US licence as well.

Not only the car rental firms. What does US law say about a US citizen driving with an IDP in the US.

In Oz the police told me, as a citizen, I was required to drive on an Oz license. They wouldn't accept my IDP or my other driving licenses issued in other countries. I do hold an Oz driving license.

It may be worth checking the requirements for the US. The fact you don't have a current US license may allow you to drive on a IDP.

I used an IDP and Thai license to rent a car the last time I was in the US. No problems whatsoever.

Are you carrying a US passport? What car rental company? I heard that some rental companies won't allow a US citizen to rent with a foreign license. Non US citizen, OK.

Edited by Thaiquila

I used an IDP and Thai license to rent a car the last time I was in the US. No problems whatsoever.

Are you carrying a US passport? What car rental company? I heard that some rental companies won't allow a US citizen to rent with a foreign license. Non US citizen, OK.

Yes. I am a US citizen. If I remember right, it was Budget Car Rental.

I guess you could E-mail the rental company and ask what their policy is; just to be sure.

I'm not from US but UK. But here is an interesting point.

I was informed by the DVLC (UK licensing bureau) that as a non resisdent my UK license was invalid as it must show my current UK home address. I was at the same time informed that my Thai license was perfectly valid in the UK so long as I didn't stay more tha 1 year.

Cheers

Sounds good. Do you really think the IDP was necessary? And what about insurance? Didn't you have to buy to overpriced rental insurance?

I'm not sure if I could have gotten by on the Thai drivers license alone or not. Since I had the IDP, I just handed it over. They did ask me to translate the Thai licnese expiry date, etc. for them (I could have said anything).

The various types of insurance were optional, just like I remembered when I used a US license.

My guess is that since the original poster has not been a resident of the US for 14 years (presumably he is a resident here in Thailand) his Thai and IDP would be sufficient. There are a lot of Americans who live abroad with no residency in the US.

Not only the car rental firms. What does US law say about a US citizen driving with an IDP in the US.

In Oz the police told me, as a citizen, I was required to drive on an Oz license. They wouldn't accept my IDP or my other driving licenses issued in other countries. I do hold an Oz driving license.

It may be worth checking the requirements for the US. The fact you don't have a current US license may allow you to drive on a IDP.

IDP's are not supposed to be used by residents. The copper you spoke to had his wires crossed. Citizen does not equal resident. You can be a citizen of a country but resident elsewhere. Thus if you lived full time in Thailand, a Thai IDP would be totally acceptable for use in your home country.

However, if you do choose to remain, then you should get a local license. In the UK for instance, once you establish residence they usually let you drive for 1 year before they make you take a local license.

You'll need to check for the US, but I suspect it would be a period of time longer than you will actually be there for, so an IDP should be fine.

In the US, the real question is the policies of the specific rental car companies. Again, I have heard at least some of them will not rent to a US passport holder without a US license. That could be a rude shock if prebooked and arriving after a 25 hour flight.

Edited by Thaiquila

In the US, the real question is the policies of the specific rental car companies. Again, I have heard at least some of them will not rent to a US passport holder without a US license. That could be a rude shock if prebooked and arriving after a 25 hour flight.

Maybe I've got a dodgy memory, but do they ask for passports. Wherever I've gone all I seem to recall them asking for is DL, IDP (where needed) and a credit card (the most important thing).

I could be very wrong on this one however.

I’ve had many IDP’s over the years all obtained outside Thailand. The majority have been from Middle Eastern countries. They aren’t hard to obtain from my experience.

I either ask my travel agent to get one for me or use the local visa company. I believe the automobile clubs can arrange them as well.

Assuming Thailand has the same procedures, why not ask your travel agent? I’m sure they can obtain one for you with a little bit added on to cover their expenses.

The visa companies I’ve dealt with usually issue them on the spot. They have the booklets and stamp on the premises. I believe the copy of your licence along with the IDP number is registered with the local traffic police but can’t verify this.

I usually provide 2 passport photos and a photocopy of both sides of the driving licence for the country I’m applying from. From memory, my last IDP obtained late last year cost the equivalent of 500Baht.