CATEGORIES, NON-IMMIGRANT VISA

In 2004 I applied and received in Brisbane, Australia my NON-IMMIGRANT VISA (good for Multiple journeys).

The visa was stamped into my passport under the category "O".

At the time of the visa application I was single and 55 years old.

My consequent application at the Chonburie (Jomtien) Immigration Office to extend the visa for the purpose of retirement was successful as were all other annual extension requests since and never had any worrying issues during the application processes; I am following all legal requirements in a meticulous manner.

My Australian passport expired recently and the transfer of visa from the 'old' to the 'new' passport went without any problems as did my most recent (retirement) extension request a few days ago.

While reading through some of the post here, I noticed that the NON-IMMIGRANT VISA CATEGORIES have changed somewhat and a retiree need now to have a category "O-A" remarked.

When did this change occur and should I go back to the immigration office to have my category brought to current status?

Nothing has changed and you certainly don't need to have anything changed at immigration. Nothing to worry about.

The non-oa is just a special type of visa being issued by embassies for retirement. It gives a one year entry verses 90 days that a normal non-o gives.

It is still possible to use a non-o visa entry to apply for an extension of stay at immigration.

It seems that a lot of posters, when they get a new passport (either due to expiry of old passport or running out of pages), they transfer the O-A stamp to their new passport.

My old passport was full and I got a new one. I did not bother transferring my stamps over and I travel with both passports to show to immigration the required stamps and it has always been accepted (at Suvarnabhumi at any rate). Is it really necessary to transfer the stamps over to a new passport?

Ubonjoe. Thanks again. Maybe a little away from OP but question is related to non imm visa. I can apply for non imm oa.

I am flying to AU in sept. My question is in members opinion is it easier to do this in AU or just get an non imm o and convert then obtain extension based on retirement here in bkk. I have my name in condo book I'm renting.thankyou

Ubonjoe. Thanks again. Maybe a little away from OP but question is related to non imm visa. I can apply for non imm oa.

I am flying to AU in sept. My question is in members opinion is it easier to do this in AU or just get an non imm o and convert then obtain extension based on retirement here in bkk. I have my name in condo book I'm renting.thankyou

When I look at the documents required and the need to have 3 copies of everything notarized here http://canberra.thaiembassy.org/doc/form/Long%20stay%20Visa%20O-A%20(5)%20updated%20020114.pdf it makes me think getting the extension is easier here.

For most it is not having to put the money in a Thai bank that makes them do the OA. If using the income method for the extension that reason goes a way.

It is up to you.

Non-OA from overseas: PRO: you can stay nearly two years in Thailand before you need to bring money over (rather than do the Income method)

CON: you need to provide financial proof, medical cert, and police clearance

upgrading while in Thailand: PRO: quicker, easier, if you go for the Income cert or have the cash already seasoned

CON: ???