Complaints against taxi and bus services in Bangkok

webfact

Complaints against taxi and bus services in Bangkok

bus-black-smoke-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Refusal to accept passengers ranks the most complaints against taxi drivers whereas reckless driving tops the complaints against public bus service in Bangkok during the past six months of this year, according to the Land Transport Department.

Mr Atchathai Rattanadilok na Phuket, director-general of Land Transport Department, disclosed that the department had received altogether 15,632 complaints through the 1584 hotline against taxi services and 6,854 complaints against public bus services through the same hotline from January-June.

The complaints are broken down into the followings: 5,315 complaints or 84.74 percent of all the complaints concern the problem of taxi drivers refusing to accept passengers for various reasons; 2,261 complaints against impolite language used against passengers; 1,823 complaints of reckless driving; 1,543 complaints against drivers not sending passengers to their agreed destinations; and 1,100 complaints of not using meters.

As for complaints against public bus services, the findings are as follows: 2,217 complaints against reckless driving which account for 78.04 of all the complaints; 1,035 complaints for not stopping at bus stops; 1,028 complaints of impoliteness; 368 complaints of letting passengers to disembark outside bus stops and 276 complaints of overcharging.

Mr Atchathai said that the department had summoned taxi drivers in 13,247 cases to be told of the complaints against them and to be fined at not more than 1,000 baht each.

Fine for letting passengers to get off buses outside bus stops and for overcharging has been set at 5,000 baht and 10,000 baht respectively.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/complaints-taxi-bus-services-bangkok/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-07-25

• Like 1

I wonder how many would pass another driving test with, say, a British, US or Australian (etc) examiner?

Another? Silly me. Found the wife's cooking sherry again! laugh.png

As far as I'm aware, the Bangkok local bus services do not run to a timetable, the driver gets paid so much for each journey, so when he gets the chance, he drives faster to make up for all the time he has spent in traffic jams.

• Like 1

More than 15,000 complaints lodged against taxi drivers

BANGKOK, 25 July 2014 (NNT) - The Department of Land Transport (DLT) has reported that more than 15,000 complaints have been made against taxi drivers via the hotline 1584 during the first half of 2014.

The number one complaint mentioned on the hotline is the taxi drivers’ refusal to pick up passengers, closely followed by rude behavior, reckless driving, dropping passengers off before reaching their destinations, and refusal to switch on the fare meter.

Director-General Adsathai Rattanadilok Na Phuket stated that the DLT has requested all taxi operators to submit a profile of their drivers so that background checks could be made. Through this procedure, it would be easier to keep track of taxi drivers with poor driving etiquette in order to increase public safety.

Mr. Adsathai also requested members of the public to always check the taxi drivers’ ID for scrutiny. Anybody who feels concerned about their own safety or would like to make complaints from using taxi services can call the hotline 1584 around the clock.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-07-25 footer_n.gif

Perhaps the taxi drivers read or heard about all the negative comments made about Thai people in online discussion groups by foreigners or saw their daughter/s photos online, taken without their permission while trying to earn money for their family. Or got tired of drunk, rude, smelly, obese, demanding foreigners that never took an interest in learning the Thai language.

Having lived here for going on 9 years, what I have observed as far as dress, manners, foul language in front of families, and general inappropriate behavior, recently is even repulsive to me.

Yesterday I saw an American dragging a Thai woman across the BTS station by the arm just because she didn't want to go in the same direction with him. I had to approach him and tell him to knock it off.

Many taxi drivers have to wait in lines, and can't afford to do a 50 baht run and then wait in another line. Quite frankly it's hard to understand how they make much money with the prices they charge considering expenses.

Cheapest fares in the world.

Own a vehicle and you will be complaining more!

Some of the taxi drivers I know make a fairly good living because they do the job they chose to do properly and don't refuse fares. And quite frankly. you should mind your own business in the street, otherwise it might be your head that gets 'knocked off'!

See bold type above: So you assume that taxi drivers only pick up foreigners and that all the complaints to the hotline were also made by foreigners. Right.

Edited by metisdead
15) Do not make changes to quoted material that changes the intended meaning of the quoted post
  • Like 2

The one thing that should also be included in this is the number of passengers that phone to congratulate the service. I travel almost daily by taxi, bus and motorcycle and have to tell you that i have found that the taxi's I have taken have all been great.

The only time I was ever refused a taxi was at night and I wanted to go from khoasan to rangsit. After asking a couple of drivers I realized my error and got a ride to the BTS and a taxi from Mor Chit.

The 29 Bus system i use a great deal from Rangsit to MBK and the drivers and staff are great. One of the best buses i have taken.

People have to realize that these drivers have a hell of a job. You talk about people being underpaid LOL

I also take other various buses just not as regularly and have always been pleased.

• Like 2

Perhaps the taxi drivers read or heard about all the negative comments made about Thai people in online discussion groups by foreigners or saw their daughter/s photos online, taken without their permission while trying to earn money for their family. Or got tired of drunk, rude, smelly, obese, demanding foreigners that never took an interest in learning the Thai language.

Having lived here for going on 9 years, what I have observed as far as dress, manners, foul language in front of families, and general inappropriate behavior, recently is even repulsive to me.

Yesterday I saw an American dragging a Thai woman across the BTS station by the arm just because she didn't want to go in the same direction with him. I had to approach him and tell him to knock it off.

Many taxi drivers have to wait in lines, and can't afford to do a 50 baht run and then wait in another line. Quite frankly it's hard to understand how they make much money with the prices they charge considering expenses.

I own a couple of vehicles and can honestly say I would not be without them, here in the centre of Bangkok.

The ability to just get in a car and go to exactly where one wants is priceless beyond measure.

If these people do not like the conditions or nature of their work, they are freely able to get other work.

Or perhaps sitting on their arse all day is preferable to actually working.

I own a vehicle because taxi's are so unpredictable here. I often get a maniac that thinks he's an F-1 race driver in his clapped out under maintained vehicle with an oh so typical wobbly hub with shoddy wheel bearings. Then the evening rush where not a single taxi stops for you & could easily leave you standing for more than an hour waving at them.

Then the biggest reason is my son would have to sit next to me without any restraints under these insane conditions.

On occasion you get a perfect scenario but that is extremely rare and for that reason I LOVE having my own car.

P.S. Unless the chap was being physically abusive to the woman, what has it got to do with you? Fortunately I don't have that problem but I can easily imagine plenty of Thai woman out there being that child like that they might just need to be pulled along for their own well being. What was the repercussions of your actions?

• Like 2

Yes, and your previous post was yet another twit looking for a chance to bash Americans. Your type are so very tiresome.

Edited by Bobobirdiebuddy
  • Like 1

"Having been trained by the Navy SEALS, and a war vet, and a self defense instructor,"

And I am just dusting off my SAS certificate as we speak!w00t.gif

Back on topic lived in BKK for 11 years found out as said previously as a general rule ......any taxi that winds the window down to speak to you is best to be avoided

• Like 1

Is this a thread about foreigners or Thai bus / taxi service? There's already a thread running elsewhere on holier than though foreigners and their Thainess...

• Like 2

Thailand and North Africa have a lot in common when it comes to taxi drivers. In my experience of 7 years here about 60% of the Thai taxi drivers are rude, will not hesitate to refuse a customer and on occasion they don't know their way around Bangkok. I have been kicked out of a taxi more than once in the street and once on the tollway because I refused to pay their NEW on the road price. I'm talking about a pick up at a five star hotels and Don Muang airport. BUT I was never attacked with a Samurai sword thank God.

There are plenty of good models out there. I lived in Taiwan 7 years and watched the professionalism of taxi drivers evolve. Now they are dressed well, they are clean and polite and they cannot refuse (by law) to take a passenger anywhere the passenger wants to go.

ps Taxis are a public face of Thailand for tourists. I agree that many tourists are drunk and rude, but taxis are service providers ... nothing personal ... just do the job and get the pay. I'm not a big drinker but when my mates come here their tips for a good taxi driver are ... well ... too much.

Edited by razer

Interestingly I put this to the test. A few weeks back I was returning from visiting a friend at Nana who was in town for a few weeks on holiday, I got in a taxi near the corner of soi 3. I told him I wanted to go to Ekamai and he refused citing he was waiting for an airport run. I told him no problem, I will just sit here until you are ready to do your job as I was in no particular hurry.

After about 45 minutes of him doing everything to get me out of his car including turning off the AC and playing Cookie Run for a long time, he eventually took me to my destination. He did not turn on the meter but I did pay him what the fare should have been. Needless to say no rewards for bad behavior is a universal fix.

Yes, sure.

Well I don't know about complaints against Bangkok taxi drivers, but complaints against 'kabula' here are definitely flourishing !

Mr Kabula, I think you can seriously apply for 'most unpopular post' in the past few days, lol. I counted no less than 8 angry replies to your rantings, which is a remarkable 30%, give or take, in a thread of 26 posts biggrin.png

• 3 months later...

went to a concert at impact arena(10-30), after concert looked for a cab to mo chit bts station, was told would be 600baht. Where are the police???? they need to come a long way, instead of giving them raises they should reduce the taxi fares, then if they picked up people instead of shaking there head like a dog they would make decent wages.

tried to get a taxi at siam paragon, could not count how many taxi's refused to take people. again where are the police!!

it will always be the same B--l S--t in bangkok as nothing will ever change.

Once reported a driver for being aggressive and rude. I got a call the next day saying he had been sacked because they had two complaints about him in a two hour period. So I guess it does work sometimes.